Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562

Awesome render, algovincian

I for one am slow to adopt new changes until many others have worked out the kinks, so for me, I certainly hope Alessandro Mastronardi continues making LAMH critters and products. I'd be over the mon if the technology could somehow create feathers, too. I've never managed to figure out how to create my own hair presets, but I definitely focus my animal purchases on products with LAMH presets and suspect I will for some time.

Thanks @WillowRaven. Working with great content (both the room and the wolf) allows one to focus on other things . . . like posing, composition & lighting - so I completely understand where you're coming from.

- Greg

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

I for one am slow to adopt new changes until many others have worked out the kinks, so for me, I certainly hope Alessandro Mastronardi continues making LAMH critters and products. I'd be over the mon if the technology could somehow create feathers, too. I've never managed to figure out how to create my own hair presets, but I definitely focus my animal purchases on products with LAMH presets and suspect I will for some time.

I think it can already 

there is an option to use objects and it could be a feather or a plant etc

• Has anyone created an iRay preset for the Genesis 8 Werwulf? I did not notice when I picked it up that the LAMH setting was for 3Delight only (because I am stupid). Or, perhaps, the 3Delight file can be converted in some way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.daz3d.com/werwulf-for-genesis-8-male-s

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

Since so many in this thread helped me fight with me LAMH fox to get this scene done, here is the end result ... featuring V4, LAMH fox, and dforce long hoodie. Thanks for all the help, guys :)

I think it can already 

How would I do that? Is there a tutorial out there, preferably in video, that could teach me?

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

I think it can already 

How would I do that? Is there a tutorial out there, preferably in video, that could teach me?

I'm sure there are several; it's fairly simple but you could add in PShop as well.

But congrats.  I like the overall look.

Modifying LAMH Preset groups

Is there a way of "editing" presets as in Renaming & deleting groups?  I can't in the Scene panel & not finding a way within the LAMH editor.  Doesn't seem that this should be that complex a process but I'm missing something.

What I'm wanting to do is simply modify the European Gray Squirrel into a more North American, so shorter ears & not the long ear tufts.  I can't delete any of the preset groups it seems as once I return to DS, it crashes.

I can hide things of course, but thats just skirting the issue.  I aslo found out you CAN'T put the LAMH group into a new group in order to quickly toggle the guides.  You can & it works until you save the scene or rather try to open it again.  DS crashes.

• Modifying LAMH Preset groups

Is there a way of "editing" presets as in Renaming & deleting groups?  I can't in the Scene panel & not finding a way within the LAMH editor.  Doesn't seem that this should be that complex a process but I'm missing something.

What I'm wanting to do is simply modify the European Gray Squirrel into a more North American, so shorter ears & not the long ear tufts.  I can't delete any of the preset groups it seems as once I return to DS, it crashes.

I can hide things of course, but thats just skirting the issue.  I aslo found out you CAN'T put the LAMH group into a new group in order to quickly toggle the guides.  You can & it works until you save the scene or rather try to open it again.  DS crashes.

Unfortunately renaming and parenting is an unresolved issue, and as such to be avoided. Since it's not documented properly in the SDK I've asked several times if there is a way to overcome to these issues but never got any useful reply. What you can do in your case, is to delete the shavegroup(s) that you don't need, save the .lmh file (so do not send the preset to DS, just save it), then close and restart Studio/LAMH and open the preset you just saved and keep working on it, adding other groups etc.

Or, eventually, you can simply scale all the way down the guides on the shavegroup you don't want, so that they are so short to be invisible, or set a 0 hair quantity on export so that nothing is rendered. That should do.

Excellent.  That's the step I'm missing.

Thanks AM.

• Awesome render, algovincian

I think it can already 

Hi @WillowRaven, and congrats on your image, it's very nice. Here is a tutorial about instancing in LAMH:

Hope it helps, cheers.

• So what does the release of strand based hair & dForce hair mean for LAMH and Catalyzer?

Is simulation coming to LAMH?

Is Catalyzer going to be available for use on our own furry creations made with the paid LAMH plugin?

Like many others, I've invested quite a bit in the plugin and all of the fantasic creations made by Alessandro. I still love what I can render with LAMH - just rendered this in 4.11 while playing around with @Strangefate and @Roguey's new set:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4601571/#Comment_4601571

- Greg

Excellent, congrats!

Hi @WillowRaven, and congrats on your image, it's very nice. Here is a tutorial about instancing in LAMH:

Hope it helps, cheers.

Thanks, Alessandro Mastronardi :)

• AnotherUserNameAnotherUserName Posts: 2,726

Hi All,

Im wondering how a "Catalyzer group" works. I just got the woolly mamoth, https://www.daz3d.com/woolly-mammoth-by-am , and when I load the iray figure, I see the figure but no hair. I do see the catalyzer group in the scene tree but im not sure what to do with it. Thanks.

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited June 2019

Hi All,

Im wondering how a "Catalyzer group" works. I just got the woolly mamoth, https://www.daz3d.com/woolly-mammoth-by-am , and when I load the iray figure, I see the figure but no hair. I do see the catalyzer group in the scene tree but im not sure what to do with it. Thanks.

Hello, did you activate the Catalyzer plugin? Instructions here if you didn't: https://www.alessandromastronardi.com/blog/lamh2iray-catalyzer/

If you are able to see the mammoth with the colored guide hairs in the viewport, all you need to do is to click the Render button in the Catalyzer pane.

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on

Hi All,

Hello, did you activate the Catalyzer plugin? Instructions here if you didn't: https://www.alessandromastronardi.com/blog/lamh2iray-catalyzer/

If you are able to see the mammoth with the colored guide hair in the viewport, all you need to do is to click the Render button in the Catalyzer pane.

Hi Alessandro. I didnt actually see the catalyzer in the plugin list, just lamh v1.6.0.1. I didnt realize that I needed to purchase the catalyzer. Its not listed on the Woolly Mammoth page. Thanks for the help.

• EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 414

Since so many in this thread helped me fight with me LAMH fox to get this scene done, here is the end result ... featuring V4, LAMH fox, and dforce long hoodie. Thanks for all the help, guys :)

Torille, and really nice!
  • Hi All,

If you are able to see the mammoth with the colored guide hair in the viewport, all you need to do is to click the Render button in the Catalyzer pane.

Hi Alessandro. I didnt actually see the catalyzer in the plugin list, just lamh v1.6.0.1. I didnt realize that I needed to purchase the catalyzer. Its not listed on the Woolly Mammoth page. Thanks for the help.

Yiu are right, isn't listed as a requirement. Sorry about the confusion, I actually asked some time ago if they could revise the descriptions on all my products which I updated for Catalyzer, but ain't done yet.

Hi All,

Yiu are right, isn't listed as a requirement. Sorry about the confusion, I actually asked some time ago if they could revise the descriptions on all my products which I updated for Catalyzer, but ain't done yet.

Lol. No time like the present, right? wink

I have what may seem like an odd question ... maybe it's a simple answer for most of you and I'm just dense, lol. But if I use, in this instance, the fox, or any LAMH animal that I bought with a preset ... If I alter the coloring of the base animal, does that also alter the hair?

• I have what may seem like an odd question ... maybe it's a simple answer for most of you and I'm just dense, lol. But if I use, in this instance, the fox, or any LAMH animal that I bought with a preset ... If I alter the coloring of the base animal, does that also alter the hair?

Yes, that would do it. The fur by default gets its color from the model texture.

I have what may seem like an odd question ... maybe it's a simple answer for most of you and I'm just dense, lol. But if I use, in this instance, the fox, or any LAMH animal that I bought with a preset ... If I alter the coloring of the base animal, does that also alter the hair?

Yes, that would do it. The fur by default gets its color from the model texture.

Excellent ... so that means I can edit the markings in photoshop and the fur will compensate. Do I need to do it separately or can I load the animal first, with the hair already attached, then edit the skin? I ask because, every time I try to hit the 'ad preset' button, Daz crashes. So I have to load animal with fur at the same time. I used to be able to use the freebie presets, too, like for mil cat or dog, but not since upgrading to 4.10.

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited June 2019

Excellent ... so that means I can edit the markings in photoshop and the fur will compensate. Do I need to do it separately or can I load the animal first, with the hair already attached, then edit the skin? I ask because, every time I try to hit the 'ad preset' button, Daz crashes. So I have to load animal with fur at the same time. I used to be able to use the freebie presets, too, like for mil cat or dog, but not since upgrading to 4.10.

I think the safest way to do it is to modify the jpg texture in Photoshop, and later as you load the LAMH character (from the Content Library) it will obviously load the asset with the texture as is (so the way you modified), and then simply render: you don't need to do other operations. Let me know if this is clear...

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on

I think the safest way to do it is to modify the jpg texture in Photoshop, and later as you load the LAMH character (from the Content Library) it will obviously load the asset with the texture as is (so the way you modified), and then simply render: you don't need to do other operations. Let me know if this is clear...

Nope, lol ... I don't follow. I don't want to overwrite the original. But I would like to have a variety. 

And speaking of the crashing ... is that just a 4.10 thing or something I'm doing wrong? Because it never used to happen.

Just make a duplicate of the map to work on, then swap out the original for your new one.

It took me awhile to notice, but under the hood LAMH is taking the textures from the base figure & loading that image into it's texture slots.  With your Fox loaded for example, & the LAMH preset attached, take a look at the Surfaces tab for the RMan nodes.

Just swap those for yours there.

Can't help you on the crashing.  Fur 'n such is just system intensive and it's not goting to get  less so.  I must say though in that regard, having invested some serious $$$ in my Boxx system was worth not having to deal with most of those headache type issues now.  And to be honest, being able to work easily with the LAMH figures was pretty much what cinched my decision.

M.

Rman_Surfaces.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 458K
    edited June 2019

Just make a duplicate of the map to work on, then swap out the original for your new one.

It took me awhile to notice, but under the hood LAMH is taking the textures from the base figure & loading that image into it's texture slots.  With your Fox loaded for example, & the LAMH preset attached, take a look at the Surfaces tab for the RMan nodes.

Just swap those for yours there.

Can't help you on the crashing.  Fur 'n such is just system intensive and it's not goting to get  less so.  I must say though in that regard, having invested some serious $$$ in my Boxx system was worth not having to deal with most of those headache type issues now.  And to be honest, being able to work easily with the LAMH figures was pretty much what cinched my decision.

M.

Thanks, mdwhitney_17f0196a22

I don't see it being my system causing the crashes, though, since I used LAMH animals for years in 4.7  on this computer just fine. But once I dl 4.10 I start having problems?

Post edited by WillowRaven on

I don't see it being my system causing the crashes, though, since I used LAMH animals for years in 4.7  on this computer just fine. But once I dl 4.10 I start having problems?

That's kinda what I meant.  The newer GPU apps don't always place nicely with what used to work just fine.  With my "older" Win7 system, I could barely even enable Iray for preview & had to use CPU render only.  The Moose LAMH pretty much brought it to it's knees just trying to generate the fur.  Now, I can have Daz open with an Iray viewport and Lightwave on the other monitor with it's VPR.  Not speedy by any means but that gives me the ability to examine textures & such between the two apps that's very tedious otherwise.

• @WillowRaven, try setting your DS preferences like in the attached image and see if it helps. If you still get crashes, perhaps best thing is to email me log files so that I can take a look. Cheers

DS prefs.jpg
    1188 x 1719 - 157K

That's kinda what I meant.  The newer GPU apps don't always place nicely with what used to work just fine.  With my "older" Win7 system, I could barely even enable Iray for preview & had to use CPU render only.  The Moose LAMH pretty much brought it to it's knees just trying to generate the fur.  Now, I can have Daz open with an Iray viewport and Lightwave on the other monitor with it's VPR.  Not speedy by any means but that gives me the ability to examine textures & such between the two apps that's very tedious otherwise.

Well ... If it's my Alienware it doesn't like, that would be a huge surprise since I've found nothing I can't throw at it. And I certainly can't afford another after paying for this monster. They are far from cheap. but hopefully a future LAMH update will remedy the Daz crashes.

• goggerfett@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 2,291
    edited June 2019

Well ... If it's my Alienware it doesn't like, that would be a huge surprise since I've found nothing I can't throw at it. And I certainly can't afford another after paying for this monster. They are far from cheap. but hopefully a future LAMH update will remedy the Daz crashes.

I'm rocking an Alienware AR4 desktop and while I have recently installed an RTX 2080 Ti graphics card and upgraded the harddrives, this thing just keeps on going and going even after six or seven years. I love my Alienware, and I love LAMH!  Perhaps check your videocard driver, keep note of other programs running at the same time (you know, the usual stuff to check), and hopefully you get it sorted out.  Good luck!  

Post edited by [email protected] on
    speedy by any means but that gives me the ability to examine textures & such between the two apps that's very tedious otherwise.

One would think.  I was exploring them too.