A Technique for Creating Realistic Oceans and Seas

2»

Comments

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

0oseven said:
    Thanks
    I tried that and didn't seem to work but maybe I had some incorrect setting = will try again. thanks again.

I have been too busy to attempt animation (yet). My initial thought was to adjust the terrain settings, but TBH, I don't even know if those are animate-able. If you get something to work, please post it here!

FD

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

You can animate the terrain using the wave deformer. The phase should be at 0% at the start of the animation and 100% at the end.

Doc2.gif
    400 x 300 - 573K
    Picture_3.png
    247 x 517 - 24K
    Picture_1.png
    253 x 683 - 33K
    edited December 1969

You can animate the terrain using the wave deformer. The phase should be at 0% at the start of the animation and 100% at the end.

Thanks, EP, for sharing that! Nicely done too!

FD

edited December 1969

Now that I've started down this track and thinking about what it would take to create an animation of a boat rocking on rough seas, the next question is:

How do you find the perpendicular (angle) of a terrain surface at a specific point?

I know that when you populate trees (e.g.) on a terrain, there is an option that places trees perpendicular to the surface, but I don't know of a way to relate one object (e.g., a boat) to the terrain in this fashion.

I'll have to experiment with replicating 1 copy of a boat onto the ocean terrain's surface, and see if it creates the right effect.

I can't picture how to use physics animation, but that might also be an option.

FD

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

Sparrowhawk has a 'follow terrain" plugin. I think it could help.

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

I did a bobber hitting the water a few years ago & just keyframed the bobber movement.
    animation is at shoestring shaders site. > http://www.des-web.net/html/samples.html
    If you are using a replicated terrain, getting your boat movement will require alot of area renders, as the follow terrain modifier can't have the boat follow a replicated terrain. The other option would be just using a terrain without replication, as I did with the bobber.

edited December 1969

Philemo and McGuiver, good inputs! I've heard of Sparrowhawk's plug-ins, so I will definitely look into that.

Nice job on the bobber, McG. I'll have to consider how to create a terrain large enough not to need a replicator then...

Thanks!

FD

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited September 2013

A trick 3dage gave me some time ago using the ocean primitive - should work equally well on an animated terrain.

Replicate, hide the original then place a boat - you will have to mess about with the boat's pivot point to get it just right - and it will bob about nicely as the ocean (terrain?) moves. Just trying to remember - was it a replica of the boat, was it parented to the ocean?

My "real" PC gave up the ghost last week and I'm waiting for a custom-built replacement, so can't experiment with this at the moment. No point in trying anything CG on this toy laptop:)

Post edited by Roygee on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Not exactly an ocean..... but its water.

I have been experimenting, trying to create a waterfall.

The water at the top is just a simple mesh. It could have been even simpler, but I made a copy of the terrain, and re-sculpted and removed unnecessary parts.

The waterfall is a base mesh, in the shape of the fall. No details, since it will be hidden.
    On this mesh I replicated the waterdrops.

I just couldn't get the water to look right, until I tried to put a little bit of glow in the shader. 2 % was just right..

I did also use caustics when I rendered.

Untitled-2.jpg
    1145 x 600 - 278K
    Doc4.jpg
    600 x 800 - 506K
    Doc3.jpg
    600 x 800 - 437K
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

That's gorgeous!

TUTORIAL! TUTORIAL! :D

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    edited December 1969

Varsel, that looks absolutely stunning!

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,981

~  interesting  subject  ~

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811

Ed have you seen EvilProducer's freebie?

http://carraracafe.com/tag/ocean/

Ed have you seen EvilProducer's freebie?

~  yeah ,  pretty much  ~  thanx  -

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

saw the carrara cafe link a while back (tnx wendy), but missed this one.

thanks for bumping it @ed3D

--ms

mindsong said:

--ms

+1  Fractal Dimensia fricken ROCKS! This is a great article!

edited October 2020
    mindsong said:

--ms

Dartanbeck said:

mindsong said:

--ms

+1  Fractal Dimensia fricken ROCKS! This is a great article!

~   you`re welcome  ~

Post edited by ed3D on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

So much can be accomplished with (1) terrain primitive, (2) replicator on grid and seamless settings, and (3) water shader that uses the slope and elevation functions to drive a foam shader mixer.  In particular, #3 can make animating ocean waves spectacular.

@Varsel - very impressive waterfall and clever use of the glow channel.  Remember it from a great challenge entry.  

Diomede said:

So much can be accomplished with (1) terrain primitive, (2) replicator on grid and seamless settings, and (3) water shader that uses the slope and elevation functions to drive a foam shader mixer.  In particular, #3 can make animating ocean waves spectacular.

@Varsel - very impressive waterfall and clever use of the glow channel.  Remember it from a great challenge entry.  

I love that waterfall! I love all of Varsel's work, actually! :)