Now they have the hair ....

That often useful Carrara plugin, DAZ studio has gotten another feature we have enjoyed for a decade

the fiberhairs

I wonder how many other Carrara type perks are in the future devil

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

I didn't know what you were referring to.  Here is the related thread in the Commons Forum.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/326996/dforce-hair-as-well-as-strand-based-hair-and-the-strand-based-hair-editor-in-public-beta#latest

An updated version of the Garibaldi hair system and a strand based hair system are being integrated in Daz Studio, currently in Beta.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited May 2019

I didn't know what you were referring to.  Here is the related thread in the Commons Forum.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/326996/dforce-hair-as-well-as-strand-based-hair-and-the-strand-based-hair-editor-in-public-beta#latest

An updated version of the Garibaldi hair system and a strand based hair system are being integrated in Daz Studio, currently in Beta.

well I was not exactly going to promote DAZ studio over Carrara was I heart

Carrara rocks

they just so much want to be like us yes

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

Carrara rocks

I Love You! heart heart heart 

Carrara rocks

I Love You! heart heart heart 

heartheartheart

Well I spent all day crashing my computer 

even getting a BSOD

trying to do something not even as awesome as we can natively in Carrara with our fantastic dynamic hair!heart

in that wannabe program DAZ studio cheeky

we all know what to say next ....

Carrara Rocks!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

bummer..

I just did a pussycat render with Carrara fur in the last hour ... no probs 

+1 Carrara Rocks!

Saw, sad kitty we all are, poor Grumpy Cat broken heart

the DS hair release build  is live
    we still have nicer hair

edited June 2019

If I understand correctly, our hero PhilW has the hair (and other PAs), but they don't.  According to the thread in the Commons, non-PAs users of Studio cannot make the Studio-compatible strand-based hair even if they own and are experts with ZBrush, Modo, etc.

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited June 2019

If I understand correctly, our hero PhilW has the hair (and other PAs), but they don't.  According to the thread in the Commons, non-PAs users of Studio cannot make the Studio-compatible strand-based hair even if they own and are experts with ZBrush, Modo, etc.

You are not wrong and I had much to say about it

I just will end up owning every Carrara Dynamic hair by PhilW at this rate am slowly getting there, only reason I don’t is he doesn’t use hair caps so many limited to V4, I possibly own every Carrara hair by vendors who do but refuse to buy the Dforce hair due to the limitations.

I like editing stuff and the limitations stop one from doing that too

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932

non-PAs users of Studio cannot make the Studio-compatible strand-based hair

Everyone can create and use strand-based hair. What non-PAs can't do is create dForce hair, which is not the same (though strand-based hair can be converted into dForce hair if you're a PA).

Still confused.  

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932

Still confused.  

There are 2 different new things related to hair in 4.11:

• Strand-based hair: basically DS now includes an internal tool to create and use hair similar to LAMH or Garibaldi hair system (it's actually based on the Garibaldi plugin, reworked and expanded by DS developers). Everybody can use that tool, even to create their own hair.
    • dForce hair: new features for dForce engine to handle hair as a dynamic item, and new parameters for the content to use those features. DS strand-based hair can be converted to dForce hair, but it doesn't have to, and dForce hair can also be created independently from DS strand-based hair. Everyone can use hair with "dForce hair parameters", but only PAs have the tools to create new dForce hair.

• PsyckosamaPsyckosama Posts: 495
    Leana said:

Still confused.  

There are 2 different new things related to hair in 4.11:

• Strand-based hair: basically DS now includes an internal tool to create and use hair similar to LAMH or Garibaldi hair system (it's actually based on the Garibaldi plugin, reworked and expanded by DS developers). Everybody can use that tool, even to create their own hair.
    • dForce hair: new features for dForce engine to handle hair as a dynamic item, and new parameters for the content to use those features. DS strand-based hair can be converted to dForce hair, but it doesn't have to, and dForce hair can also be created independently from DS strand-based hair. Everyone can use hair with "dForce hair parameters", but only PAs have the tools to create new dForce hair.

Basically

Everyone can create strand hair. Only PA's can create strand hair with physics.

or, they can use Carrara, which has had strand hair with physics for a long time.

or, they can use Carrara, which has had strand hair with physics for a long time.

yesyesyes

yeah nothing in DAZ studio we cannot do better

• Jay VersluisJay Versluis Posts: 238

Nicer and FASTER! In fact, inspired by the latest DAZ Studio Hair Release, I wondered if I could still remember how to do hair in Carrara, so I made these fluffy bouncy balls:

https://youtu.be/ia3oJDfKzFo

This simulated in a matter of minutes, and didn't take that long to render either. Mixing hair with physics is so simple for Carrara - I don't see that feature in DAZ Studio. As a comparison, I tried something similar in DAZ Studio and this dForce/Hair mix has literally taken over an hour to simluate:

https://youtu.be/PuiStY_dqKk

Carrara wins :-)

Nicer and FASTER! In fact, inspired by the latest DAZ Studio Hair Release, I wondered if I could still remember how to do hair in Carrara, so I made these fluffy bouncy balls:

https://youtu.be/ia3oJDfKzFo

This simulated in a matter of minutes, and didn't take that long to render either. Mixing hair with physics is so simple for Carrara - I don't see that feature in DAZ Studio. As a comparison, I tried something similar in DAZ Studio and this dForce/Hair mix has literally taken over an hour to simluate:

https://youtu.be/PuiStY_dqKk

Carrara wins :-)

And it sheds by looks

it probably has to be weightmapped to boot unlike Carrara

a hair video with the famous Carrara jitter

well actually its his head jittering blush mixing mimic and aniblock imports I should learn by now

no head spasms in this one

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

I know Carrara puppeteer is a bit stuttery, but is there a way to operate it at a much lower frame-rate (e.g. 5-10 fps) and also manually  'drive' the action slowly so that by speeding it back up to 24/30 fps the stuttering is avoided? I putz-d with it once but never figured out a trick for that.

Anyone else?, or is this a new thread question? or...

cheers,

--ms

edited June 2019

Carrara Puppeteer always confuses me as it creates no real keyframes or anything I can save as an NLA clip and won't work with Mimic

I use it for animation groups of objects, hair and clothing morph movements but never characters as it basically locks me out of adding anything else like lipsync, expressions etc afterwards

edited June 2019

ok, so I'm not completely mad (at least in that context). That one had me shaking my head, and if *you* couldn't make headway with it, I feel much better about the silly thing - compliment intended.

Maybe after a drink or two, when I'm feeling like i need more self-flagellation (sp?), I may revist the silly thing.

Perhaps @philw has some thoughts, as I recall he was less-than-impressed with Carrara's puppeteer implementation in one of his notes or videos.

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on

I've never had the pleasure to try Puppeteer for Carrara. I vagulely recall a product though. Has it since disappeared from the store?

I've never had the pleasure to try Puppeteer for Carrara. I vagulely recall a product though. Has it since disappeared from the store?

its in Carrara 8+

To be sure, I think DAZ's puppeteer and aniblocks are mediocre implementations of absolutely brilliant ideas. Of course, it's always possible the operator has something to do with the problems in this case... 8^/

I think lag was the problem that @philw described, so I was wondering if slowing the whole process down while 'recording' might be an angle.

Even without the animation aspect, if you pop up a few pose 'dots' and 'preview' between them, you can get some good figure poses and adjustments pretty quickly, so it's not a complete loss for me.

--ms

If it’s any consolation the Carrara puppeteer does work better than the DAZ studio one

Oh there it is! Found it ????

Thank you so much, Wendy ;-) I feel like I've been given a free gift!