Daz Studio 4.11 Pro, General Release!

Comments

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845
    Torquinox said:

I suspect the limitation on multiple installation of general releases is due to shared resources such as the database. Where betas are meant to be used in isolation for testing, the latest general release is intended to replace previous versions. Right?

Correct. Not just the database, but plugins, registry entries, etc.

• veen said:

Today i purchased dForce Femme Fatale Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 Females and dForce Longdrape Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s) . I also installed the new Daz studio 4.11 plus my latest GPU drivers ( 2X GTX1070 )

i can load the hair and its visable in the viewport but it doesnt show upo in my preview render. What is going on here? DIM doesnt show any new updates. please help me/us

i have the same problems as SimonJM

Did you install updates for dForce Starter Essentials and Default Resources?

• jtdekoningjtdekoning Posts: 134
    edited June 2019

oooOOOOoooo!!! A new version! So far no problems with the first half hour of playing around. Materials changes when in IRay seem to take a little longer, but nothing insurmountable. Gonna be fun!

Post edited by jtdekoning on
  • TomCatOliverTomCatOliver Posts: 195
    Torquinox said:

I suspect the limitation on multiple installation of general releases is due to shared resources such as the database. Where betas are meant to be used in isolation for testing, the latest general release is intended to replace previous versions. Right?

What kind of issues are likely to result from having 2 versions installed? Because I'd found rendering in the beta massively slower than 4.10, I renamed the 4.10 folder before installing 4.11. Both versions seem to run without any problems, but I'm still finding 4.11 slower (with the latest drivers), so I'm not sure I'm ready to abandon 4.10 just yet.

I'm creating images to be printed, and 6000 x 4000px is about the smallest I can get away with, so the extra rendering time with 4.11 really adds up. I'm talking hours, not minutes.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    edited June 2019
    veen said:

Today i purchased dForce Femme Fatale Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 Females and dForce Longdrape Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s) . I also installed the new Daz studio 4.11 plus my latest GPU drivers ( 2X GTX1070 )

i can load the hair and its visable in the viewport but it doesnt show upo in my preview render. What is going on here? DIM doesnt show any new updates. please help me/us

Its funny dForce Starter Essentials does not show up in my dim but it does in my account library as a manual download.  

I do have a question though what is Default Resources? I don't see that anywhere in dimmor in the account library

Capture.JPG
    1254 x 218 - 27K
    2.JPG
    822 x 467 - 32K
    Post edited by Ivy on

is Default Resources for daz 4.9 the same thing that i have installed alreayd

3.JPG
    843 x 633 - 41K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    veen said:

Default Resources all I have is Default Resources for Daz Sudio 4.9+ and there hasn't been an update for a while according to DIM

• evacynevacyn Posts: 950

Anyone else have weird issues when moving the camera by scrolling with the mouse's scroll wheel? It seems to occassionally stop moving forward and then starts moving side to side. Or is this a setting I need to enable/disable?

edited June 2019

okay I found the download page for the manual downloads  of daz and the Default Resources the daz4.9 appears to be updated with the same name according to the document http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/start

manual download link  https://www.daz3d.com/get_studio

Post edited by Ivy on
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    maclean said:

By the way, what's the story with saving scenes in this release? I now have to save by name every single time. With CTRL+S it used to be only the first time I saved a scene, then after that it just saved without asking. Now it asks for a name over and over again. Kinda annoying. I make small changes, then save. Having to keep on double-clicking the file name, then 'Yes' interrupts my flow.

Is your Authorship (name at least) information filled in? Click Edit - Preferences and look on the General tab.

Good call! All my other prefs were carried over, (Tooltips Off, etc), so I didnt think to check authorship. Now it works as normal on 2nd save - ie. no name demand

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845
    edited June 2019
    veen said:

For folks having problems with the hair in Preview render.

There is a setting Preview PR Hairs (causes hair generation and tessellation) which needs to be enabled to render in the NVIDIA Iray DrawStyle. Select the hair and you'll find that setting on the Parameters pane. Do note that it can be taxing on the system, so do not leave it enabled.

By the way, Longdrape Hair has a preset in Utilities to preview the hair with Iray.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140
    Torquinox said:

YUP, if you notice, your plugins are only registered to one version of DAZ Studio at a time.  I find that very limiting, one of the reasons I don't use beta's, among other reasons.  Be nice if there were a script written, like an auto switch, for the plugins to auto turn on for what ever version was being used at the time.  Might be something someone could cook up in the future... 

• I don't know what's causing it but every time I use the viewport iray preview the scene is very pixelated and needs quite a bit of time to look right something that I didn't experience before. Is this a new setting that can be toggled off somewhere ? 

There's also a significant performance impact when I try to use my PC during renders where everything becomes very choppy, from moving normal windows to, pictures, videos etc., again, something I didn't have issues with before. Using an Nvidia 980 with 419.17 drivers.

• Trash PandaTrash Panda Posts: 111

I have rendered in both 4.11 and 4.10 and I noticed that it takes about 50% longer to render the samething in 4.11 than in 4.10. I have updated my gtx 1070 driver before installing 4.11 today.

I also noticed that on the color of the shirt it is less saturated in 4.11 than in 4.10.

One thing I've done from time to time is to do a fresh install of DAZ Studio... I save out my favorite color schemes and layouts and then uninstal everything (except, of course My Library, that would be insane to do that! LOL) and reboot, and reinstall all of it.  That's helped ALLOT with past issues when upgrading constantly. 

I do that with my NVIDIA drivers as well.  There is a little check box when installing new NVIDIA drivers that gives this option and I've had very clean installs with no hiccups.  

• Is it normal that the first time i try to render that 4.11 is updating the metadata for my whole 8000 item library?

Or did i mess up my install?

Folders all seem in place. Everything installed to default (except D: instead of C: drive)

I had the Beta, never ran into this issue, and doing the install through DIM. Windows 10. New machine, the version of Daz 4.10 was latest version fresh install last Friday.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,403
    RAMWolff said:
    Torquinox said:

YUP, if you notice, your plugins are only registered to one version of DAZ Studio at a time.  I find that very limiting, one of the reasons I don't use beta's, among other reasons.  Be nice if there were a script written, like an auto switch, for the plugins to auto turn on for what ever version was being used at the time.  Might be something someone could cook up in the future... 

Thank you for your replies. I'm going to drag my feet a bit before upgrading. :D

• Luv LeeLuv Lee Posts: 229
    edited June 2019

So far, so brilliant!

Post edited by Luv Lee on
  • Luv LeeLuv Lee Posts: 229
    edited June 2019
    Luv Lee said:

Duuuuuuude, am I the only one playing with the strand hair to heck and back. OMG, I love it, I love it, love it.  GONNA BUY THEM ALL. And YES, I AM SCREAMING!  Gonna be broke soon...lol...Thanks, DAZ3d.  Here's a hearty smack on dah lips! MUAH! YAY!

Post edited by Luv Lee on
  • Trash PandaTrash Panda Posts: 111

Weird, when I use the active pose tool and pin stuff then move the character in 4.11 it crashes frequently. Anyone else experiencing this?

• MouserMouser Posts: 675

Hmmm, DS11 is in DIM but not the resources.

I think I'll download but not install yet and bravly watch everyone else deal with this first;)

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808

Is anyone else who has IDG Selectable Hair Shader having issues with Iray rendering? So far, I can reliably get Studio to crash to desktop when I use that hair shader, with a message of

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\libneuray.dll" at 0033:00000000B98267EB, mi_neuray_factory_deprecated()+5714123 byte(s)

Happens every time.

It doesn't happen with Colorwerks hair shaders or skin shaders, just that one, so far.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    RAMWolff said:
    Torquinox said:

YUP, if you notice, your plugins are only registered to one version of DAZ Studio at a time.  I find that very limiting, one of the reasons I don't use beta's, among other reasons. 

As long as you have both the beta and general release installed when you install the plugin (so that the plugin gets installed to both apps) then most plugins will work properly with both versions.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2019

I'm not sure if this is a new issue, or something I just haven't noticed until now. Usually I just use GPU to render, but w/ the new release, I was messing about and testing things using gpu/cpu/optix.

1. Fresh load of studio utilizing GPU only works fine. 800MB small head shot type scene.
    2. Mess about with GPU/CPU/Optix combinations, only CPU is utlized. No mention of GPU/CUDA in either the onscreen display, nor the log, and 0% utilization shown in Task Manager (Windows 10 x64).
    3. Untick CPU/Optix altogether and renders still only utilize the CPU until Studio is restarted.

I'm running an EVGA GTX770 FTW 4GB DDR5 with the latest Nvidia drivers.

As long as I don't mess about with testing rendering hardware configs, GPU rendering works as expected.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited June 2019

Well, this is odd. The left side panel on my workspace resized itself, and won't let me make it any smaller. I can close it, but I can't resize it. The first time it happened, the parameters section was fairly small, and the properties? sub-items? the left side of that panel was huge. The first time, it let me make the parameters sliders section larger and the properties/editor/whatever that is, smaller. The second time, it wouldn't let me resize anything.

It seems to have something to do with bouncing back and forth to the render tab. I have no idea why. Going to the render tab the first time, then back to the Actor tab, produced the issue with the locked panel size. Going to the render tab the second time, then back to the Actor tab, produced the completely locked panel size.

It goes away if I restart Studio, but that's ... annoying, to put it mildly.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    vwrangler said:

Well, this is odd. The left side panel on my workspace resized itself, and won't let me make it any smaller. I can close it, but I can't resize it. The first time it happened, the parameters section was fairly small, and the properties? sub-items? the left side of that panel was huge. The first time, it let me make the parameters sliders section larger and the properties/editor/whatever that is, smaller. The second time, it wouldn't let me resize anything.

Which other tabs do you have docked to that panel? There's a similar problem with the Viewport that sometimes bites beginners, where the tabs that let you build custom materials have a certain minimum width. These tabs are docked to the Viewport by default, and if your Viewport space isn't wide enough, cuts off the right edge of the Viewport including some of the view tools. The usual solution is to undock and switch off the problem tabs, then only turn them on when you need them.

Leana said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Torquinox said:

YUP, if you notice, your plugins are only registered to one version of DAZ Studio at a time.  I find that very limiting, one of the reasons I don't use beta's, among other reasons. 

As long as you have both the beta and general release installed when you install the plugin (so that the plugin gets installed to both apps) then most plugins will work properly with both versions.

Well for me GoZ is the most important one and that one is one that only works with one version of DS at a time... 

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    Leana said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Torquinox said:

The issue with Zbrush is that it only knows ONE version of Studio - the most recent one the plugin is for. So you can use Zbrush for either the beta or the release but to work (alternately) with both you have to install the plugin for the studio verion you want. This is a Zbrush design issue.

Ah, didn't know it was on the Pixo side.... Hmmph

edited June 2019
    vwrangler said:

Which other tabs do you have docked to that panel? There's a similar problem with the Viewport that sometimes bites beginners, where the tabs that let you build custom materials have a certain minimum width. These tabs are docked to the Viewport by default, and if your Viewport space isn't wide enough, cuts off the right edge of the Viewport including some of the view tools. The usual solution is to undock and switch off the problem tabs, then only turn them on when you need them.

None of those, I'm afraid. It's just Smart Content, Surfaces, Shaping and Parameters.

A few restarts later, it's not consistently locking the left side panel size, but it is consistently resizing the panel when I go in and out of the Render tab.

Right side panel just sails serenely on, unaffected for now.

Post edited by vwrangler on