Need help with choosing a graphics card

Daz uses cuda cores for rendering,yes? I resently got my first job and have been looking at affordable graphic cards purely for rendering. I have been trying to find one around $200-$250 or less that will be viable for rendering. Right now I am rendering using CPU and even the viewport for iray takes forever before i can see properly. So I need advice on which card would be cost effective and be somewhat better than cpu rendering.any tips or advice are welcome! Also sorry if this is in the wrong place

Comments

• You want enough memory to hold your typical scenes, at least, otherwise the speed will be irrelevant. How much content do you have in most of your scenes?

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

The benchmarks here are pretty comparable to Iray performances: https://www.cgdirector.com/octanebench-benchmark-results/

I'd spend a little more and get a 2060 if possible, since it has tensor cores and a future update of Iray will probably use them, with a noticeable performance increase.

Otherwise, GTX 1660 and 1660 Ti are pretty nice cards.

You could also find a used 1080 if your PSU can handle it.

The 1080 has more VRAM, the others have 6Gb...that is double what I've used until now xD

• memoriivmemoriiv Posts: 64

You want enough memory to hold your typical scenes, at least, otherwise the speed will be irrelevant. How much content do you have in most of your scenes?

I just need one good enough to be speedy in previews iray really. I am working on a visual novel and we will be rendering on a render service so that I might set the next scene up as the previous one renders. CPU only previewing is not great

• The memory requirement is still much the same.

• memoriivmemoriiv Posts: 64

The memory requirement is still much the same.

I suppose 4-8 gb would be good at the moment