DP Shaders - Just Some Questions

Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I do most of my entry-level learning in DAZ Studio so I'm not yet ready to do a lot in Carrara, but these have always looked interesting.

Today I saw the DP Girl and DP Genesis shaders on sale in the store, and I have a few questions.

1. The images on my monitors appear to be somewhat subdued and lower-contrast, compared to most other store pages, which makes it a little difficult for me to figure out if it's something that will someday benefit me. Is there something specific that I should be looking for to help me decide?

2. "The Girl 6" is a Genesis 2 figure yes? What is the technical reason for having Shaders for Girl 6 separate from those for Genesis 2 Female?

3. What does DP stand for?

4. Is there a counterpart shaders pack for DAZ Studio?

5. Do the DP shader products for Carrara work with all the different renderers available for Carrara or just the one that comes with the software?

I probably have more questions, but this should be a good start...

Comments

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

I do most of my entry-level learning in DAZ Studio so I'm not yet ready to do a lot in Carrara, but these have always looked interesting.

Today I saw the DP Girl and DP Genesis shaders on sale in the store, and I have a few questions.

1. The images on my monitors appear to be somewhat subdued and lower-contrast, compared to most other store pages, which makes it a little difficult for me to figure out if it's something that will someday benefit me. Is there something specific that I should be looking for to help me decide?

2. "The Girl 6" is a Genesis 2 figure yes? What is the technical reason for having Shaders for Girl 6 separate from those for Genesis 2 Female?

3. What does DP stand for?

4. Is there a counterpart shaders pack for DAZ Studio?

5. Do the DP shader products for Carrara work with all the different renderers available for Carrara or just the one that comes with the software?

I probably have more questions, but this should be a good start...

Hi,

Answer to your questions.

1. The promo images are just stander 500 x 650

2. Each of the Characters developed for Genesis 2 such as The Girl 6, Victoria 6, Teen Josie 6 , Ambie, Monie each one has its own texture maps and shaders for DAZ Studio and Poser. The products that I sale such as the Carrara shaders for these characters are optimize to give you great looking render using the default Carrara render engine.

3. DP stands for DigitalPainters I just keep it short to DP.

4. Like I mention in answer #2 the figures when you purchase them come with the DAZ Studio shaders.

5. The DP shaders are design to render with the default Carrara render engine and Carrara out of the box give you amazing render images.

Here is a sample of what DP skin shaders for Teen Josie 6 render out in Carrara render engine. You will get similar results with the other DP shaders.

Ringo-NewTeenJosiecloseup102013.jpg
    902 x 1188 - 497K
  • Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

Very impressive, and thank you for the explanations.

Due to the low price, I will consider these even though I am not yet doing posing in Carrara.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,235
    edited October 2013

Oh man...
    When I sought out Carrara, I was looking for something that could model and do DAZ Studio or Poser type stuff. But I mainly wanted to do the Poser/DAZ Studio sort of think - just with added benefits. So that's how I began using Carrara. As a DAZ Studio on steroids!

So when I finally got Carrara, I treated it as I would Poser or DS. But then I'd sneak into the model room with some clothing and hair... make some tweaks. Oh.. did That get addicting! Adding clothing, hair, poses... it does all of that the same way - except that I find the Carrara browser interface to be easier and faster to work with.

Shaders is the big thing about Carrara.

Poser materials can work in DAZ Studio pretty well.. I think? Haven't really rendered in DS for a long time now. Anyways, while they can get you started in Carrara, you almost always want to tweak on the shaders in Carrara. There are tips and tricks to doing so around the web that are very helpful. It's the essential thing with Carrara, that can be learned fairly quickly - but can take a lifetime to master! I started by using some of the preset shaders that come with Carrara. If something is supposed to be metal with glass, I'd go to Metal and Glass in the browser and use them. Eventually, I would open them instead of apply them. Compare what the Carrara shader is doing to the Default shader with the Poser or Studio materials and work out how to used the best parts of each.

Using Shaders products like all of the stuff in Ringo's Store has given me a lot more to use. Talk about "Learning from the Masters". Experts like Ringo really know their way around the "what works with what" in Carrara shaders - which is super, amazingly vast. That helps to make Carrara more fun than anything else I've worked in.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,235
    edited December 1969

Once you get to posing in Carrara, you'll never go back! ;)