Semi OT: NVIDEA driver problem (Solved)

MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,790
edited June 2019 in Daz Studio Discussion

Maybe this has been adressed here before. In order to make use of the latest DS build IRAY renderer, I need the latest NV driver.
Problem is, I can't install it. It gets canceled with an "error during installing" message.
I cannot even install any NV drivers anymore. I tried to install every version, with every install option, Windows reset to an earlier Point, with and without virusFirewall active.
No way. What to do?
I am on NVIDIA 416.16 now. It works, but I cannot open its controll center anymore, because it got lost when trying to uninstall the previous driver.
Windows reset kept my 416.16 driver, but did not rebuild the NVIDIA controll manager.

This is really crazy.

Intel CPU System Win10(64)
ZOTAC 1070GTX (416.16)

Anybody has an Idea?

Post edited by Masterstroke on

Comments

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,790
    edited May 2019
    rk66 said:

Vielen Dank. Noch habe ich es nicht ausprobiert. Ich hasse es, so einen Aufwand betreiben zu müssen, nur damit ein Grafiktreiber funktioniert.

Edit "Nicht ohne Risiko" Schönen Dank auch, Windows und Nvidia :-E

edited May 2019

Still have not found the guts to try that DDU uninstaller. Tried to uninstall everything by hand, even switched off my anti virus scanner.
    Any thing I've tried to update Nvidia drivers didn't work.
    Some Windows updates failed too. Error code suggested some problems with my HP system. I don't have neither a HP system nor any Hp device installed - not even packaged in my cellar room.
    And why don't I have Administrator rights, when I am the only person on this computer, logged in as the Administrator?
    Since the latest DS build is out, I cannot test it, because I cannot use GPU rendering, for it needs the latest drivers and I can't install any Nvidia driver anymore.

A windows complete reinstall is getting closer... sigh. Does anyone have an explaination, what could have caused this mess?

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,889

Perhaps some kind of malware\virus?

I would suggest a complete Windows reinstall. Once you have done that, create a system backup which you can restore if the need arises.

edited May 2019

Perhaps some kind of malware\virus?

I don't think so. Had multiple scans without an alert.

I would suggest a complete Windows reinstall. Once you have done that, create a system backup which you can restore if the need arises         

That's, what I might end up with. 

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799

Sometimes the Drivers just suck. the most recent one released 5.27.19 broke Octane for me and I had to revert back to a previous driver

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

Could this be related to the changeover to the new Universal Windows Driver?

They're labelled as DCH in nVidia downloads. Trouble is... there is no update path from the standard to the DCH, it's the same for the reverse direction, one type has to be completely uninstalled to load the other type.

If it got past the installation check and did a partial install, I can see that really messing up the nVidia drivers!

edited June 2019
    prixat said:

Could this be related to the changeover to the new Universal Windows Driver?

They're labelled as DCH in nVidia downloads. Trouble is... there is no update path from the standard to the DCH, it's the same for the reverse direction, one type has to be completely uninstalled to load the other type.

If it got past the installation check and did a partial install, I can see that really messing up the nVidia drivers!

I'm really afraid, you're right. Why the f.... hell is Windows thinking, it can bring better drivers than NVDIA?

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,889

I don't use Windows drivers, NVIDIA only. When I update, I use the clean install option.

They are still nVidia drivers supplied by nVidia, just the windows 10 side of things has had major changes.

The new Universal Windows Driver standard allows nVidia (and all the other manufacturers) to just produce one driver that will work on all windows 10 desktops, laptops, tablets, fridges and washing machines etc.

Intel were first with a UWD driver and went through the same thing last December. In that case, some users deleted drivers they still needed for older intel graphics chips, because the Intel DCH driver is not backwards compatible!

I don't use Windows drivers, NVIDIA only. When I update, I use the clean install option.

I think, that those automatic windows updates have installed their own NVIDIA drivers - (without my allowence). This might be the reason, why I can't have a proper NVIDIA install with the original drivers by NVIDIA.

I have now done the DDU uninstalling. Then I tried to install the NVIDIA driver, but nope... no success. 

Was the uninstall done in Safe Mode?
    prixat said:

prixat said:
    Was the uninstall done in Safe Mode?

Yes, I‘m done. Nothing worked. I am without a NV driver now. Only basic Intel graphic is left. I need to run my Win10 image back up now, hoping I can use my gtx 1070 . 

Latest update: Set my sytem back to two days ago.
    Still can't update my drivers, but I have NV 416.16 as the GPU  driver back, which means I can still use DS 4.10 GPU rendering.

• cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421

un install Nvidia drivers

check this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmmizuRJGvI

edited June 2019
    cm152335 said:

un install Nvidia drivers

check this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmmizuRJGvI

Been through a deep uninstall process with DDU uninstaller already. Didn't work.

EDIT: Ben through all this procedure again.
    Safe mode=>DDU uninstaller=>reboot==>reboot in safe mode=>installing the new NVIDIA driver 430.86.
    Same Error message.
    So, there seem to be no way to make an NVIDIA driver update happen.

Only a complete Windows reinstall could help.

Well, thank you for this post, Sylvie 1998.

This is a different, than the others advise, ;-) but it could be it. I renember with earlier driver install attempts, that i have been confused, which driver to use. If standart drivers and DCH drivers must not be mixed up, why let NVIDIA let me do this in there download form?

Thanks again, I will give it a try, as soon I am ready for a clean reinstall, in case I am messing up this repair procedure.

edited June 2019

First: Thanks to everyone, who tried to help. Thank you very much. :-) :-) :-)

Problem solved.
    How?

I was still on windows 10 - 1806.
    weird thing was, updates failed as well.

After checking error codes, one of the advises has been, to uninstall app blockers from the browser.
    After uninstalling, I was finally able to update to win10-1903.
    Just in case I logged in to my system as admin and installed the latest NVIDIA driver... AND IT WORKED!!!!! :-) :-) :-)