Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.11.0.383! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

FWIW:

One of the first things I did was to assign a keyboard shortcut to "Edit Strand-Based Hair…" It turns out, when I open the editor using the shortcut, the editor is not fully loaded. The only tab available is the Style tab, and several of the buttons surrounding the comb are missing.

I've removed the shortcut for now.

I was able to add the "Edit Strand-Based Hair…" menu icon to the toolbar, and that opens the editor as expected.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,140

What you've found is an "Easter Egg", not a bug. It is entirely intentional as a mode that only provides access to the tools that would be useable to create morphs for the style curves; tools that don't cause the vertex count/order to change. Press/Hold the Ctrl key and launch the editor by clicking the action... Notice anything? Its usefulness is limited for non-PAs, but for PAs it provides a piece of the puzzle that simplifies creating morphs for dForce Hair.

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120

why iRay on 4.11 is much slower than 4.10?, I can understand is a Beta but rendering performance is a must being forward not a la inverse!

my findings, same scene, same render size, same options  (Geforce, Optix),

iterations on Beta: 259, Ram used 3.71Gb, Cpu at 25%

iterations on Stable4.10 Pro: 468, Ram usage 3.59Gb, Cpu at 25%

limited to 2minutes for reviews.

Daz Studio 4.11.0.366 uses a much more current/powerful/complex version of the Iray rendering plugin than 4.10 stable does (if you check their install directories, Iray in 4.10 takes up ~320MB whereas Iray in 4.11 currently takes up ~1.26GB.) Consequently 4.11 takes significantly longer to complete each individual iteration of a render than 4.10 does. However, 4.11 also generates siginificantly more image detail per iteration than 4.10 did - especially if you utilize advanced shaders in your scene.

What you've found is an "Easter Egg", not a bug. It is entirely intentional as a mode that only provides access to the tools that would be useable to create morphs for the style curves; tools that don't cause the vertex count/order to change. Press/Hold the Ctrl key and launch the editor by clicking the action... Notice anything? Its usefulness is limited for non-PAs, but for PAs it provides a piece of the puzzle that simplifies creating morphs for dForce Hair.

Interesting. Sounds like the issue for me was the Ctrl key in the sequence, (Ctrl+Shift+H)

RayDAnt said:

Daz Studio 4.11.0.366 uses a much more current/powerful/complex version of the Iray rendering plugin than 4.10 stable does (if you check their install directories, Iray in 4.10 takes up ~320MB whereas Iray in 4.11 currently takes up ~1.26GB.) Consequently 4.11 takes significantly longer to complete each individual iteration of a render than 4.10 does. However, 4.11 also generates siginificantly more image detail per iteration than 4.10 did - especially if you utilize advanced shaders in your scene.

Also interesting.

So a better comparison than how many iterations per minute would be the same image in both versions, rendered to the same number of samples, then compared in Photoshop at 100% or better magnification. I just put The Beast to bed, but I'll have to try this tomorrow.

• Twilight76Twilight76 Posts: 318

why iRay on 4.11 is much slower than 4.10?, I can understand is a Beta but rendering performance is a must being forward not a la inverse!

And do not forget with the 4.10 you get 34% Converged in 2 minutes and with the beta 35% in the same time ;)

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    L'Adair said:

What happens when you try the same render in 4.11, but without Optix?

much slower without Optix

2Min220IT-oPtixNope.png
    898 x 530 - 541K
    RayDAnt said:

es a much more current/powerful/complex version of the Iray rendering plugin than 4.10 stable does (if you check their install directories, Iray in 4.10 takes up ~320MB whereas Iray in 4.11 currently takes up ~1.26GB.) Consequently 4.11 takes significantly longer to complete each individual iteration of a render than 4.10 does. However, 4.11 also generates siginificantly more image detail per iteration than 4.10 did - especially if you utilize advanced shaders in your scene.

Going to try that using advanced shaders then

And do not forget with the 4.10 you get 34% Converged in 2 minutes and with the beta 35% in the same time ;)

OK...

...but is much slower!!

L'Adair said:

What happens when you try the same render in 4.11, but without Optix?

much slower without Optix

With newer drivers, I should run some more tests. Initially, I determined Optix actually slowed rendering on The Beast. Perhaps that's no longer true…

• RayDAnt said:

es a much more current/powerful/complex version of the Iray rendering plugin than 4.10 stable does (if you check their install directories, Iray in 4.10 takes up ~320MB whereas Iray in 4.11 currently takes up ~1.26GB.) Consequently 4.11 takes significantly longer to complete each individual iteration of a render than 4.10 does. However, 4.11 also generates siginificantly more image detail per iteration than 4.10 did - especially if you utilize advanced shaders in your scene.

Going to try that using advanced shaders then

What determines if a shader is advanced or not? Or how do you tell if a shader is advanced.

• thomasbrandy287@yahoo.com[email protected] Posts: 58
    edited May 2019

Denoiser from Nvidia. is one of the best things in 3D world

Only 3 min render with one of the heaviest scenes.

The first render is 5 min with denoiser

the socond 16.7 min without

The denoiser start at 8 iteration.

Graphic card Nvidia 2070 with 8gb

3min_Hollow.png
    2M
    5_Min_denoi.png
    1M
    16.png
    1M
    Post edited by [email protected] on

What determines if a shader is advanced or not? Or how do you tell if a shader is advanced.

using layers of shaders, weighted mixing mode instead PBR, SSS, etc

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871

Hi Daz-Team,
    Finally had a chance to work with poses yesterday evening.
    Read your changelog 4.11.0.366 "Animation / Inverse Kinematics (IK)"

Not 100% sure which improvement exactly applies here,
    But as an end-user, I can now grab a finger, hand, or whatever bone type, and adjust the pose so much better!!!
    Finally it was fun to pose!
    Before, had to select bone with mouse then use parameter sliders to bend, twist, etc.
    If not, then too often rest of body would shift, so before you just could not pose efficiently.

There are still a few more complicated poses like calves tucked under thighs where figure goes flippy, when you try to tweak calf outwards.
    But overall way nicer to use.  Thank you alot!

• boomshankaboomshanka Posts: 13

Sorry for cross-posting but I think I've isolated my problems in this thread to being an issue with the beta:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/328786/iray-error#latest

If you look at my penultimate post in that thread (the first post of 25 May) you will see why I believe its possibly an issue with the beta i.e. CPU renders work OK on the stable release but not in the beta.  Unfortunately, as RTX isn't supported in the stable release I can't verify that the GPU works OK in the stable release.  Nevertheless, the CPU issue of itself seems fairly conclusive?

• DetniatDetniat Posts: 37

I'm having difficulty installing the Beta.  I have installed it through DIM, but when I open Daz Studio it is still version 4.10. 

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and any help would be great.  Thank you.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    Detniat said:

I'm having difficulty installing the Beta.  I have installed it through DIM, but when I open Daz Studio it is still version 4.10.

When you installed through DIM, did you get a new D|S icon on your desktop?

How are you trying to open the beta — clicking on the desktop icon, selecting from the Start menu, clicking on a scene file, or what?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited May 2019
    Detniat said:

The old version remains, 4.10 & you opened that. The new beta version is also installed and will have a different icon.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited May 2019

I found another DS 4.11.0.366 crash situation with the Strand-Based Hair. If I paint a map and put that map in the clumping bias, Das Studio crashes when I start rendering. I will submit a help request with the crash data.

Request #299484 submitted

Post edited by barbult on
    Detniat said:

you need to allow/check on  Beta builds on preferences inside DIM.

when you installed correctly the splash screen had changed, the female robot is changed to a red haired dwarf troll.

• GafftheHorseGafftheHorse Posts: 567
    edited May 2019

Hi

Trying Genesis 8 on the BETA - this is what I am getting...

Bex, a Genesis 8 on Daz BETA

Weird hips.

Genesis 8 is fine on 4.10. Tried purging the BETA install and reinstalling - then purging the entire Daz install and redoing, reinstalling Genesis 8 base.

Other than this constant problem, the BETA runs much better & no other figure is affected.

Running on Wine-staging on Linux.

Is anyone else getting this on Genesis 8 Females?

It's started doing the same on the copy of the latest 4.10 branch on the same installation - but another 4.10 installation that doesn't have the Beta also installed is fine.

Post edited by GafftheHorse on
  • Hi guys,

When I run BETA - version 4.11.0.366 with the latest Nvidia drivers Iray renders don't use my GPU (GeForce GTX TITAN X) but revert to CPU only. OS is Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

any ideas?

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,756

Hi guys,

When I run BETA - version 4.11.0.366 with the latest Nvidia drivers Iray renders don't use my GPU (GeForce GTX TITAN X) but revert to CPU only. OS is Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

any ideas?

even with the latest driver? My BETA uses CPU only, but I'm on NV 416.16, but i can't update. I thought the reason was my old NV driver.

edited May 2019

Hi guys,

any ideas?

even with the latest driver? My BETA uses CPU only, but I'm on NV 416.16, but i can't update. I thought the reason was my old NV driver.

At least you can render CPU only. Until I updated my drivers, all I got was 100% transparency. GPU wouldn't render, but neither did it kick things over to the CPU. (Sorry to hear you can't update.)

@lcattus_9716520438, Sometimes the latest driver isn't the best for Daz Studio. I'm using v418.81 without issue. Others are reporting the v419.xx is working best for them. Find a scene that renders using the GPU in the released version you've got installed. Then update (downgrade,) the drivers to the 419 version. And finally, try rendering the scene you identified as rendering with the GPU from the beta. Does it still kick you to CPU?

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • lcattus_9716520438lcattus_9716520438 Posts: 31
    edited May 2019
    even with the latest driver? 

I'm currently using version 430.64

Edited to fix quote

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • lcattus_9716520438lcattus_9716520438 Posts: 31
    edited May 2019
    L'Adair said:

@lcattus_9716520438, Sometimes the latest driver isn't the best for Daz Studio. I'm using v418.81 without issue....

Thanks I'll try some experiments when I get some time.

Edited to fix quote

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,609

Just noticed there is an update of DS Beta in my DIM.  Downloading it now.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140

You know it's been about 2 years for this beta.  Be nice if it actually saw the light of day as a general release SOON!  

RAMWolff said:

You know it's been about 2 years for this beta.  Be nice if it actually saw the light of day as a general release SOON!  

Feels like it, I know. Longest time between releases I've seen since 4.7 was released. (Several months after I got started, so no idea how long between 4.6 and 4.7.) However, dforce was introduced with 4.10, which was released early October of 2017. So closer to 20 months.

(Okay. That's pretty darn close to two years! LOL)

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    RAMWolff said:

Well - April 17, May 14, and May 29 for the most recent versions. And PhilW is previewing two new dForce hair products that I'm relatively sure won't be released until 4.11 goes live, I think we've gone from "Daz soon" to soon!

Time to grab the 4.10 stand-alone installers or copy the 4.10 DIM files to another directory if you want a way back to 4.10 . . .

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140

I know... like 4 months before it's at the 2 year mark.  Adobe doesn't even take that long!  LOL  

Regardless of published artists throwing awesome new products our way I just don't do beta's and yea, it's been long enough.  IMHO anyways.