No one asked me - Diomede screenshots on whatever - Warning AI Discussion OK

Comments

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    Selinita said:

Test Render with Quick Shaders plus Hair and Eyebrows

Looking great - love the quirky facial dimensions.

Thanks, Quirky = yesyes

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,796

awesome stuff @diomede_Carrara ... I bought 3d Coat last year at the same time as yourself... I must install it one day and have a go.. been playing around in the beta blender as well..

keep up the great workflows .. really enjoy your stuff yes

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,662
    edited May 2019
    Selinita said:

I bought the Creating in 3 Dimensions with 3D-Coat https://www.daz3d.com/creating-in-3-dimensions-with-3d-coat

Hope it's useful, will start watching them tomorrow, will let you know if they are up to PhilW standard.

I had heard these are for a very old version 3.?? so didn't bother as people were complaining - so I'd be interested to hear what you think as well. smiley

Version 3.7. Overall enjoying the style and information given, the screen layout differs from the current version so that would put some people off. One of the tutorial sequences has got either a television or radio going in the background which I find a bit off-putting.

3DCoat 1.png
    3840 x 1080 - 2M
    3DCoat 2.png
    3840 x 1080 - 2M
    3DCoat 3.png
    3823 x 1042 - 2M
    3DCoat 4.png
    3840 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    Selinita said:

Test Render with Quick Shaders plus Hair and Eyebrows

Looking great - love the quirky facial dimensions.

+1 yes

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

upside downing terrains to use as cloud banks?

Mystarra said:

upside downing terrains to use as cloud banks?

Any examples?  Sounds cool.

edited May 2019

Claymation Heroine

Same deal.  Low poly toon character, hands have a thumb and three fingers, head is disproportionately large, mouth and eyes are disproportionately large.

Mrs Claymation.jpg
    600 x 800 - 25K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited May 2019

Carrara Simplest Rigging Test

No weightmapping, no morph correction yet

0000000001 test render.jpg
    640 x 640 - 17K
    edited March 2021

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

nice work!

feelin guilty now, end of a 3 day weekend.  i did absolutely nothing.

didnt even pop a cork.

Selinita said:

I've decided to just jump right in - here's my first attempt at UV mapping in 3D-Coat...

FishFACE by Selinita

I just created this simple face in Carrara's Vertex Modelling Room, exported it as .fbx to 3D-Coat, used the autoUV mapping options and then exported my model back to carrara over the original .fbx file and swopped the bones over. The only thing is the scale was way off! Something for another day.

Here's the map it produced - not bad don't you agree?

Excellent!

Mystarra said:

nice work!

feelin guilty now, end of a 3 day weekend.  i did absolutely nothing.

didnt even pop a cork.

Sometimes need a nothing weekend.  

edited May 2019

3DCoat Default Automap for UVs.

I'm not going to use this because I know I can make it even better with just a little effort, but here is the default automapping UVMap of my claymation dude.  Also, not bad for a couple mouse clicks.  

aa05 automapping.JPG
    1412 x 808 - 158K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,796

very cool... I will have to install it and try out that unwrapping...

here is a topic that may be worth following over at HW3D forums about 3DCoat texturing and such..

very cool... I will have to install it and try out that unwrapping...

here is a topic that may be worth following over at HW3D forums about 3DCoat texturing and such..

Thanks  - great link.

3DCoat Default Automap for UVs.

I'm not going to use this because I know I can make it even better with just a little effort, but here is the default automapping UVMap of my claymation dude.  Also, not bad for a couple mouse clicks.  

Enjoying the tutes so far, will have to watch your playlist as well, looking forward to using it ! Excellent work btw !!!

edited May 2019

Thanks for the comments, all.

As a UVMapping tool, 3DCoat is already exceeding all my expectations.  I spent about half an hour trying to improve the UVs of my claymatio dude, which is a complex model with a single mesh including the teeth/tongue etc. which can be hard to select.  I think the results are not bad for someone unfamiliar with the tools.  The face came out very good, but sideways (see red area in attached pic).  The torso, limbs, and eyes also came out pretty well.  A lot of the little islands are the teeth.  I don't like where the packing function placed stuff, but I'm sure there are ways to fix that.

Scaling!  - Have to report same issue as Selina.  My re-imported model did not preserve the correct scale.  Will have to look into proper settings.

Attached pics show the model reimported to Carrara.  First shows face selected in UVroom.  Second shows scale issue in Assemble room.

cc01 updated uvmap.JPG
    1588 x 801 - 226K
    cc02 export and import scales.JPG
    1145 x 796 - 129K
    edited May 2019

Here it is with checker texture applied.

dd01 apply checker texture.jpg
    600 x 700 - 32K
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

This is my video of my 3d painting workflow in Blender
    https://youtu.be/evCIdoLCeo0

Vyusur said:

This is my video of my 3d painting workflow in Blender
    https://youtu.be/evCIdoLCeo0

Another great video demonstration!  Thanks!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Thank you Ted!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

When importing (back) from another 3d app, you need to be mindful of the scale, or units, that app exports.

Let's start with Carrara. Units are inches, so 1 unit = 1 inch.
    Most other 3D apps are metric. So DS is in centimetres, Modo and Blender are in metres. 3DCoat I believe is in millimetres.
    When importing to Carrara, we get the choice of "auto" scale, or specifying the units. Unfortunately, Carrara doesn't make it easy for us (presenting a nice dropdown listing the programs or scales), so we have to remember a magic number. Just like a PIN. 

And the number is 3937. (no, that's not my PIN!)

This is for converting any metric unit into inches. We just move the decimal point. For metres it's 39.37 (39.37 inches = 1 metre). For millimetres it's 0.03937. For centimetres . . . you can do the math ;)

When importing (back) from another 3d app, you need to be mindful of the scale, or units, that app exports.

Let's start with Carrara. Units are inches, so 1 unit = 1 inch.
    Most other 3D apps are metric. So DS is in centimetres, Modo and Blender are in metres. 3DCoat I believe is in millimetres.
    When importing to Carrara, we get the choice of "auto" scale, or specifying the units. Unfortunately, Carrara doesn't make it easy for us (presenting a nice dropdown listing the programs or scales), so we have to remember a magic number. Just like a PIN. 

And the number is 3937. (no, that's not my PIN!)

This is for converting any metric unit into inches. We just move the decimal point. For metres it's 39.37 (39.37 inches = 1 metre). For millimetres it's 0.03937. For centimetres . . . you can do the math ;)

Thanks!  Will give it a try again soon.

edited May 2019

I need another magic number, LOL.

The gray dude is the figure as modeled in Carrara.  One white figure has made the round trip from 3DCoat and imported at 3.937, and the other at 0.3937.  As you can see, one is too big and one is too small.  angry

I need another magic number.JPG
    1189 x 823 - 142K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

Odd I work in centimetres in Carrara and 2400 has always been the number for importing  into DAZ studio 

edited March 2021

edited May 2019

A combo that seems to work.

- export in the obj format preset for Daz Studio full scene

- do the 3DCoat thing

- import obj in Carara with checkbox for disable autoscaling checked, and leave at 1.00.

See two claymation dudes of same size, although hot points are at different places.

zz01 export import two hot poins.JPG
    1145 x 791 - 117K

Selina, we were typing at same time, which is remarkable given the gap between previous posts.

edited March 2021