Changing Grid units from CM to Inches? Or at least millimeters?

Hi.  I bought "Collective3D Create a Room Xpack 3" which supplies room parts that are built in 2.5 foot increments.

How do I make the grid snap to 2.5 foot increments?

I can turn on grid snap in CM... but 2.5 feet is 76.2 cm, and the dialog ignores decimals.

Comments

• winduptoywinduptoy Posts: 59

So, learning about the Align tool, and I guess I have the option of scaling everything up to 1000% and using a grid of 762 cm, but surely there's a way to change the grid units?  Guys?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,810

No, the unit is set to cm and that can't be changed (as far as I am aware).

• winduptoywinduptoy Posts: 59

Thanks for the response Richard.

Wow, that's dumb.

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118
    edited May 2019

I don't think that's dumb.

It would be nice if the World could agree on something, anything, just for a single time!

The measurement system is what humanity is closest in finding an agreement: https://www.quora.com/What-countries-still-use-the-imperial-system-of-measurement

Post edited by LenioTG on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,810

You could write a simple script to move the selected node 2.5 feet (or as near as possible) on each axis, then use the scripts from a tool bar or menu for each movement.

• 85948594 Posts: 4
    edited November 2023

I encounterd the exact same thing. I tried to set the snapping to 2.54cm (1 inch) and once it didn't behave as expected I finally realized that DAZ was ignoring my decimal point and making it 254cm. This is absolutely crazy. First off, I have worked in 3D modeling and CAD for 30 years and have never encountered an application that doesn't allow switching the units to whatever the user prefers. Secondly, DAZ was founded and is headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah where as far as I'm aware, uses the Imperial Standard. We can argue which system is "better" but not allowing the user to decide is beyond me. Seems like a fairly simple fix DAZ, why not do it? I would also love to know your user base percentages (U.S. vs Other). Additionaly, when creating Primitives, you can choose Meter, Centemeter, Yard, Feet, and Inches but not in the Parameters Panel, Grid, etc.

Post edited by 8594 on