JULY New Users Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2012

Wilnap I think you will find that the legs in your render are wrong.

If you check this image, which is a bit clearer, you will see you have the leg postions reversed, which is why the one leg looks so awkward, and the foot the wrong way around It should be the left leg is the one stretched out to the back

http://www.criticaldance.com/features/2003/PNB_Panel_20030916.html

Post edited by Chohole on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I concur, wrong leg is streched out behind the character. Even in the small image you can see it's the top of the foot not the bottom of the foot you see in that pose.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,329
    edited December 1969

I just had to look again after seeing your guy's feedback. I didn't even notice the leg was backward from the photo. OOPS!

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814
    edited July 2012

wilmap said:
    Just the Pose so far. It's harder than I thought! Had to turn off limits to get arms and leggs in the right position. V4 and rendered in DS3.

Lovely job on this...very fluid and lovely...I do notice the legs got reversed...if it makes you feel any better though I did the same when playing with mine and posting my little tutorial *blush* and I've been doing this for like 8 years now LOL

I decided to go ahead and finish my image kinda off...just cuz after I spent all the time posing for the tutorial I figured I may as well LOL I notice the hands are still a touch off but since I am just doing this for fun I decided not to stress over it LOL As a note though, having the floor in Poser or a Plane added as a floor in DS will help with Posing any parts that are touching the ground in your pose. Also you may want to view from multiple straight on angles like Front, Back, Left, Right just to be sure everything is touching as you want it to be (unlike what I just did here with the hands *oops* Let me be a lesson on what not to do hehe :)) I Also note the bows on the outfit in my image are currently defying gravity as well but shhh don't tell ;)

Step5.jpg
    800 x 800 - 131K
    Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Nope the Pivot point is still at the feet Miss B I am sorry to say. But selecting the hip does allow, in a way, to be the pivot point.

My advice is when use the "Point At" feature is to load a NULL and Point At that. Then you will have more control over where the light hits.

That's exactly what I've been doing with respect to lights. I sometimes even do that in DS 3A when I have a whole scene and want fill ilghts hitting in certain areas instead of all the lights hitting the main subject.

At least I know I'm not crazy about the Pivot point being the feet in Genesis. I couldn't understand why they did that, but then Genesis isn't built like older characters, so they probably (literally) built it "from the ground up". It's possible they couldn't do it any other way with that technology, because I'm sure they thought of it.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Wilmap excellent start with chosing another difficult pose. Doing these awkward poses really does give a better insight on the limitations of the figure. I find Genesis so much easier to pose than V4/M4. Which isn't surprising really given that it has more bones.

Nice work Ann.

edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Szark said:
    Nope the Pivot point is still at the feet Miss B I am sorry to say. But selecting the hip does allow, in a way, to be the pivot point.

My advice is when use the "Point At" feature is to load a NULL and Point At that. Then you will have more control over where the light hits.

That's exactly what I've been doing with respect to lights. I sometimes even do that in DS 3A when I have a whole scene and want fill ilghts hitting in certain areas instead of all the lights hitting the main subject.

At least I know I'm not crazy about the Pivot point being the feet in Genesis. I couldn't understand why they did that, but then Genesis isn't built like older characters, so they probably (literally) built it "from the ground up". It's possible they couldn't do it any other way with that technology, because I'm sure they thought of it.You could always Move the Pivot Point in Pro with the Joint Editor like I have done in the image below.

JointEditor3.jpeg
    800 x 694 - 204K
    edited December 1969

Hmmm... Or you could just select the hip and Use the Rotate tool to get pivot at Hip and then pose.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Hmmm... Or you could just select the hip and Use the Rotate tool to get pivot at Hip and then pose.
    Exactly what I was trying to get across in my previous posts but just couldn't gte my wording right. :) That is how I did my example pose. I don't have any problems with the Pivot at the feet becasue of that very reason Jaderail.

But learning to move a Pivot point can be helpful though for all sorts of things. :)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Jaderail said:
    Exactly what I was trying to get across in my previous posts but just couldn't gte my wording right. :) That is how I did my example pose. I don't have any problems with the Pivot at the feet becasue of that very reason Jaderail.

But learning to move a Pivot point can be helpful though for all sorts of things. :)You are correct. Knowing how to do it will be handy. We all have those DUH, how do I say this monemts? I'm the KING of DUH!

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I think that the hardest part to understand is that the pose BASE is the HIP. If the hip needs an angle to it then it must be done first then you pose the rest of the figure. IF you pose the HIP properly the rest will follow up and down the bones as needed. You can not pose the Upper or Lower Body and then pose the Hip. All your work will be off once you change the Hip's position.

Thanks, Jaderail. I didn't know that. I've picked out some pictures and now I have to narrow it down. My goal is to finally get something finished and submitted this month.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited July 2012

a toon action wip - using DS 4.5

a_toon_hero_wip.jpg
    800 x 800 - 253K
    Post edited by bigh on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Wilnap I think you will find that the legs in your render are wrong.

If you check this image, which is a bit clearer, you will see you have the leg postions reversed, which is why the one leg looks so awkward, and the foot the wrong way around It should be the left leg is the one stretched out to the back

http://www.criticaldance.com/features/2003/PNB_Panel_20030916.html

Oh yes, so it is. No wonder I had proplems getting that foot to turn!

I couldn't find a better picture.

Will have another try later.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited July 2012

Changed the legs around this morning. Not too keen on her shoulder though!

Put her by the lake with the swans!:-)

swan_lake_2.jpg
    800 x 506 - 245K
    Post edited by Wilmap on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:

Oh wow, now that is really good, I am so glad you got it sorted out.
  • NabouNabou Posts: 15
    edited July 2012

Entry removed by User
    Reason: not pass the Contest-Rules :-(

Post edited by Nabou on
    edited July 2012

Nabou that is a wonderful pose and render. I just reread this months rules. You MUST use a referance image for your render in the contest. It is part of the contest. Please do another with a referance image. I can see you will be good at this contest.

Wilmap that is a great pose, it looks just like your referance image. Well done.

Hi bigh! Good to see you, I'll cruse your thread and check up on your stuff.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,329
    edited December 1969

Wilmap that looks much better, good job.

Nabou, Jaderail is right we need to see the reference photo that you got your pose from. Looking good so far though

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Not too keen on her shoulder though!

Hi Wendy, considering it's such an extreme pose this might not help, but I swear by the shoulder fix products of corvas over at Renderosity. Here's a link to check it out for V4 --> http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/simpledetails-v4lite/70402
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

I chanced the angle of the camera

Dance_nieuw_verkl.jpg
    800 x 599 - 74K
    edited December 1969

Daz-ann0314 I’ve got your message, I give you a reply only I don’t know if I did it right :)

edited December 1969

wilmap said:

Hoi Wilmap you’ve have a nice elegant pose, only you also need to pose the hand and the fingers
    Then the whole pose will be more elegant, like your example.
    Good work.:)
    edited December 1969

Sasje this one is perfect in my eyes. I love it. I hope you enter a second one this month, we have a lot of month left. You could also add a setting to this one if you like. I'm not saying you need to just that you could.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Sasje this one is perfect in my eyes. I love it. I hope you enter a second one this month, we have a lot of month left. You could also add a setting to this one if you like. I'm not saying you need to just that you could.

I've got another one only I need to render it.:-)
    I think you will like the second one to.
    It sound a little bit silly but I do not really understand this (You could also add a setting to this one if you like) I'm from the NL and
    sometimes it's a little bit hard to understand some things.:red:
    edited December 1969

By setting I mean a background or scene that they are in, like a dance studio or something. But that's up to you, it is not needed.

• berriboyberriboy Posts: 171
    edited December 1969

I would have to say that posing figures is my weakest skill (besides the other ones), but thanks to Jaderail and Szark for their invaluable tips I was able to do this one from scratch and not have to hide the parts I messed up behind something.

The thing I am having trouble with is getting the face to look angry enough, also I think the right hand looks a bit awkward - What do you think?

Reference Picture

july002.jpg
    800 x 557 - 106K
    Action_Games_HD_107.1_.jpg
    640 x 400 - 91K
    edited July 2012

Woo Hoo! A DROW!!! Posting a Drow will not help you! I'm not a judge, but man, I love me a good Drow.

Version3 I see what you mean about the right hand, I think it should be more straight with the arm. You did what you did to get the sword blade looking right. Fix the hand and just ROTATE the blade in the grip. You do not have to leave it in the load position.

As for the Angry face that is more a sculpting with the face morphs. Things like Brow Ridge out and the Corners down, and many many more LITTLE tweaks. This is a Pose contest not expression contest. You are very close. Try working on that hand and the sword if you think you must work on the sword. I dont think the sword really matters as much as the body pose.

!Avatar_04.jpg
    100 x 100 - 9K
  • berriboyberriboy Posts: 171
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments Jaderail, but I have a question. What is a Drow?

edited July 2012

They are Dungeons and Dragons Dark elfs. Like the character you have done and my Avatar. My Handle is my D&D character as well as my Avatar..

edited December 1969

version3 said:
    Thanks for the comments Jaderail, but I have a question. What is a Drow?
    I was just thinking the same. ;)

Excellent posing there version3 (your handle is that becasue your are the third child in your family ;) ) Sorry couldn't resist.

Again excellent job to everyone.