Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.11.0.383! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited May 2019

I loaded two of my custom G8 characters into an empty scene and DAZ Studio ate 24 GB of system RAM out of 32 GB I have.

Mind you, those are standard 4k merchant textures and there were no HDRI environment maps loaded or any other objects apart from two G8F characters with hair.

I couldn't even render an empty scene with those two characters on RTX 2080 Ti -- it fell back to CPU and got stuck without any render progress for several minutes while using only one CPU core.

Cancel button didn't work, total application hang -- had to be terminated from Task Manager.

Last two betas are leaking RAM like a bottomless bucket and working in UI is slow like dragging through molasses the longer you keep the application open.

Are you by any chance using current version of Zevo's Fit-addon on anything with custom bones, like hair or other?  
    If you do, then make sure to reboot your DazStudio session after applying fit-addon.  An issue there that is being clarified & worked on .

Also am running latest Beta .366 and a 2080Ti and 32GB Ram.
    Just did a test of a saved scene.  Result was same as with previous beta.  Worked for me.

When I had what you were describing,
    it was either due to current issue with Zevos fit-addon vs Custom bones (or that's what indications seem to be)
    or when I had too much in a scene and it went to CPU,
    or after many scenes loaded and many renders, the system just needed a reboot.

Have not had a chance yet to test how many scene changes & re-render I can do with this beta as it was just released.

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
    LindaB said:

I had to install the BETA so I could use my new graphics card, I've never used a DAZ Studio BETA before. I just installed the BETA and none of my content is showing up in the content library. I don't use Smart Content, just the content library. How can I get my content to show up in the content library?

In Daz Studio, go to Tab: "Content Library", right click it, select from the choices "Content Directory Manager", then look for Daz Studi Formats and click "-" beside it and there you should make sure the first entry points to your daz content install directory that you setup and specified in your DIM settings.  If you didn't setup DIM, you'll want to open DIM and go and review the settings, especially if you modified anything.  You need to make sure all your file paths are pointing to the proper places.

• LindaBLindaB Posts: 166
    LindaB said:

I had to install the BETA so I could use my new graphics card, I've never used a DAZ Studio BETA before. I just installed the BETA and none of my content is showing up in the content library. I don't use Smart Content, just the content library. How can I get my content to show up in the content library?

In Daz Studio, go to Tab: "Content Library", right click it, select from the choices "Content Directory Manager", then look for Daz Studi Formats and click "-" beside it and there you should make sure the first entry points to your daz content install directory that you setup and specified in your DIM settings.  If you didn't setup DIM, you'll want to open DIM and go and review the settings, especially if you modified anything.  You need to make sure all your file paths are pointing to the proper places.

Got it, thanks.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    barbult said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

In the Strand-Based Hiar editor Distribution tab, there is s drop down box to select image maps for Color Base and Tip, but there isn't any way to actually browse for or select an image.

The problem is that there might not be a single map - for example the head is likely to span across at least two UDIMs on Genesis 3 and 8, so so that's potentially two maps (more for a body hair set) rather than just one. DS handls that for you, by grouping the maps into sets.

I don't understand the reply, Richard. I don't understand why there is a drop down box if I can't select anything? Is it because I have more than one surface selected to paint? What do you mean by "DS handles that for you"?

You aren't selecting "a map" in the drop down, you are selecting a set of maps - DS handles assigning the right map from the set to each area of the mesh.

But when I use the drop down, there is no mechanism to browse for anything and no sets listed to select from. Where are these set lists? Do I have to create them somehow first??? (Just to clarify again, I am talking about the Distribution tab drop down box to select image maps for Color Base and Tip).

Ah, I see - I thought you meant the Rexture Control Maps sets on the Paint tab. The similar controls in the Clump tab do list the sets as expected, so that may be a bug (as I understand it).

edited May 2019

@Saxa--SD

Not using Fit addon (I just loaded two nude figures to test). I do have dForce hair on both figures.

Check my latest post above where I posted logs -- it seems to be something tied to OptiX Prime and high-resolution geometry for me. After disabling OptiX Prime I can render the same scene on a GPU (it is using 8 GiB out of 11 GiB).

Also use/used OptiX 100% of the time and have both G8Fs on highest subD.  CPU is de-selected in Render Tab, so  render is 100% on my RTX2080Ti.  (Use Win7 64)

Don't have dForce hair though in test scene that i just ran.  But do have mutiple hair-doos for blending.

Any chance your OpenCL drivers need updating for the CPU (not GPU) cos your running dforce?  Have this runtime installed for Intel CPU.    Running older 16.? and not the newer 18.  No idea of DS architecture in background, but would think it would only help.  Works for me anyway.  All you need is one bottleneck in the back-end and trouble shows up.

Or did you install any special OptiX SDKs?  I just have Daz Beta, nothing else.

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
    edited May 2019
    barbult said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

In the Strand-Based Hiar editor Distribution tab, there is s drop down box to select image maps for Color Base and Tip, but there isn't any way to actually browse for or select an image.

The problem is that there might not be a single map - for example the head is likely to span across at least two UDIMs on Genesis 3 and 8, so so that's potentially two maps (more for a body hair set) rather than just one. DS handls that for you, by grouping the maps into sets.

I don't understand the reply, Richard. I don't understand why there is a drop down box if I can't select anything? Is it because I have more than one surface selected to paint? What do you mean by "DS handles that for you"?

You aren't selecting "a map" in the drop down, you are selecting a set of maps - DS handles assigning the right map from the set to each area of the mesh.

But when I use the drop down, there is no mechanism to browse for anything and no sets listed to select from. Where are these set lists? Do I have to create them somehow first??? (Just to clarify again, I am talking about the Distribution tab drop down box to select image maps for Color Base and Tip).

Ah, I see - I thought you meant the Rexture Control Maps sets on the Paint tab. The similar controls in the Clump tab do list the sets as expected, so that may be a bug (as I understand it).

Rob pointed out that that is a colour map, and the maps in the control sets are greyscale so that's why they don't appear there. If, in the New... dialogue in the Paint tab, you create a colour map set isntead of a grey then it will be selectable in those two properties. This will be made more clear in a future version, Rob says.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    LindaB said:
    LindaB said:

Got it, thanks.

This post may also be relevant, for future reference https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4590496/#Comment_4590496

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    barbult said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Rob pointed out that that is a colour map, and the maps in the control sets are greyscale so that's why they don't appear there. If, in the New... dialogue in the Paint tab, you create a colour map set isntead of a grey then it will be selectable in those two properties. This will be made more clear in a future version, Rob says.

Richard and Rob, thank you both. I'll give that a try.

OK, I painted a color map and exported it.  I can now select that map in the Distribution tab for the base and tip color, but I couldn't see that the color map was used any place. I finally figured out that I had to uncheck the box for Use Preview Color. That is not very intuitive and the tool tip text doesn't make that clear, either. By unchecking that box, I can see the color map used in the Distribution tab of the editor. But, it doesn't plug that color map into the Surface settings for the hair after I click Accept in the editor. I'm not clear what benefit the color map in the Distribution tab offers.

Warning: Don't try to import that color map again when it is already listed in the Paint maps list. It locks up Daz Studio. I had to kill it.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845

@sylvie1998

I'm not too sure that the Windows Task Manager is reporting things correctly. I did some tests, these are the results. My tests consisted of 2 x G8F, clothed and hair. For comparison I used HWMonitor. First off, Task Manager.

1. Scene loaded

05 Loaded.jpg
    838 x 767 - 190K

2. Render started

06 Starting.jpg
    838 x 767 - 191K

3. Rendering

CPU usage drops, but GPU doesn't show any usage.

07 Rendering.jpg
    838 x 767 - 192K

4. Render completed

08 Done.jpg
    838 x 767 - 191K

Now HWMonitor

1. Loaded

01 Loaded.jpg
    636 x 833 - 142K

2. Render started

02 Starting.jpg
    636 x 833 - 144K

3. Rendering

CPU drops, but GPU increases

03 Rendering.jpg
    636 x 833 - 144K

4. Render completed

By the way, Optix Prime Acceleration was unchecked, as well as CPU under the 2 devices and my drivers are not up to date.

04 Done.jpg
    636 x 833 - 142K
    edited May 2019

I tried to autofit the Strand-Based Hair eyebrows I created for G8M to G8F. I got a polite error message that explained that I can't do that. But when I clicked OK to close the error message, Daz Studio 4.11.0.366 crashed with no crash log.

Screenshot 2019-05-18 12.40.14.png
    506 x 115 - 7K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142

WOW... I'll stick with fiber mesh for the time being then.  With this report and Wendy's crash to desktop that took 3 reboots to stablize her system again sounds like this plugin is making some pretty dense meshes'  

The Strand-Based Hair Editor has been very solid for me. Rendering has been smooth, too. My crash was not related to editing or rendering.

• Wallace3DWallace3D Posts: 166

Can someone test to see if their DForm Spawn Morphing is no longer working on this Beta version?

• pwalters58pwalters58 Posts: 72

Can I get my workspace settings from DAZ 4.10 into 4.11?  I can't find anything in the standard workspace!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited May 2019

I noticed that autofit / collision / smoothing has changed and I'm pretty sure a pose was either changed a bit or the changes to autofit collision / smoothing cause the hand to be hidden by the now differently autofit 'Construction Clothes for G3M jeans.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    edited May 2019

Can I get my workspace settings from DAZ 4.10 into 4.11?  I can't find anything in the standard workspace!

You'll need to save the layout (Window - Workspace - Save layout as) in 4.10, copy the User layouts folder in C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 to C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Build. Then in 4.11, you need to select the saved layout in Window - Workspace - Select layout.

Make sure the Style is the same in both 4.10 and 4.11 before doing the above.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
    edited May 2019

You'll need to save the layout (Window - Workspace - Save layout as) in 4.10, copy the User layouts folder in C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 to C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Build. Then in 4.11, you need to select the saved layout in Window - Workspace - Select layout.

Make sure the Style is the same in both 4.10 and 4.11 before doing the above.

Rob does have a script for this - download using the link above the code, drag the downloaded file into the DS Public Build viewport, tell it you want the UI from the release build. http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/general_ui/copy_ui_from_channel/start

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Thanks Richard, certainly easier.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,484
    edited May 2019

Leave it to me. Looks like I violated the module.

Managed to fur out a sub dragon but when I tried a rat I failed again.

Tried G8 Again but only allowed three undos in paint mode.

001.JPG
    1592 x 972 - 278K
    003.JPG
    2313 x 1553 - 352K
    004.JPG
    1968 x 312 - 53K
    Post edited by ArtAngel on
  • KerwinKerwin Posts: 123

I’ve found the beta pretty stable after two days of pushing strand hair around.   Using a Quadra P4000 for rendering.   

-K