Exclude items from lighting ?

Hi ! I really like playing with lighting in Daz but the only thing that bugs me is the lighting effect on the hair makes everything render extremely slowly. Is there a way to make the lighting affect everything but the hair ?

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    jasonmvh said:

Hi ! I really like playing with lighting in Daz but the only thing that bugs me is the lighting effect on the hair makes everything render extremely slowly. Is there a way to make the lighting affect everything but the hair ?

With 3Delight it's certainly possible, there are a number of tricks you could use. With IRay, not so sure.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

You can always go into the Surface Tab and change the settings for the hair. Translucency, glossiness, backscattering, top coat and volume etc. all come to mind that slow down rendering.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

For Iray rendering, because Iray is trying to simulate how light works in the "real world", there isn't a way to do this. Just like you couldn't shine a light on someone in real life and have it light up their face, but not their hair. If it's a significant drag, definitely look at some of the settings Fishtales suggested as those can be significant bottlenecks with transmapped hair.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718

You could use Canvasses (Render Settings pane Advanced tab) to do a without hair pass, but I'm not sure that would address your issue. Sometimes going to Render settings and in the Editor tab, under Optimisation, adjusting the max path length can help (you need at least 5 or 6 for the eyes to come out non-black).