Does anyone use Carrara for Modeling?

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

MSolomon said:
    Using Carrara professionaly can be an interesting experience. I get complements from other pros until they find out what software I use. The conversation usually goes as follows:

-Wow, your modeling and animation is excellent.
    -Thanks
    -You must use Maya.
    -Nope
    -Studio max, Light Wave,
    -Nope, Carrara.
    -( awkward pause ) oh ( awkward pause ) you should upgrade to Maya. Your work would be much better.

I kid you not, I get the same comments all the time.

Lol, that's awesome :) Really excellent modeling displayed there MSolomon (love the robot people), and it's funny how people just get into a mindset that Carrara somehow should be discounted even with obvious evidence it can be used professionally.

I was watching the Dreamlight tutorial videos for modeling (I got suckered into buying in; I don't recommend for anyone else btw). The dreamlight guy started with Lightwave, and learned Lightwave, and loves Lightwave... Lightwave, Lightwave, Lightwave... etc, etc. His course advertised that he would also teach Hexagon, Wings, Carrara, and Blender, but I noticed that whenever he did a tutorial video in one of the other softwares (I mostly watched the Carrara videos, but it was true of all the other software too) he would constantly complain about how backward and hard to use this was and how Lightwave is sooo much better, and it was easily apparent even at a glance that he didn't really know Carrara and was stumbling around trying to find stuff. It became a running advertisement for Lightwave "you really should just go ahead and spend $1500 for Lightwave, it's so much superior" etc, etc, ad nauseum...

All I could think was "you are making basic mistakes and clicking on the wrong things because you don't know Carrara and have too much contempt for it to even bother to try to learn". Meanwhile, watching his videos about Lightwave all I could think was "wow, I'm really glad I don't have Lightwave!" I already don't think much of the Lightwave render engine (just my opinion, but I don't like the way Lightwave renders) and after watching those videos I don't think much of the modeler either, things just seem counterintuitive to me in it. So I guess I should be glad I've saved myself a cool $1500 because I'll never shell out money for Lightwave :)

Now I don't mean any offense to those who use and love Lightwave, but I think I'm pretty glad that I'm learning modeling first in Carrara, and I'm very happy with the modeling tools in Carrara so far and don't feel especially limited or constrained (heck, there's tons of modeling tools in Carrara that I haven't even had use for yet). If I can use a program I'm already familiar with and already own (Carrara) to model in, and don't have to export out to another program, import in, export out, import in, etc etc, that's a big plus for me, not to mention I'm not spending extra money for a different program and fighting through the learning curve for a new program that is always inevitable.

And it's plainly obvious to me just looking through this thread that Carrara is a very capable modeler that can produce quite excellent and detailed models :)

• msolomonmsolomon Posts: 209
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    MSolomon said:
    Using Carrara professionaly can be an interesting experience. I get complements from other pros until they find out what software I use. The conversation usually goes as follows:

-Wow, your modeling and animation is excellent.
    -Thanks
    -You must use Maya.
    -Nope
    -Studio max, Light Wave,
    -Nope, Carrara.
    -( awkward pause ) oh ( awkward pause ) you should upgrade to Maya. Your work would be much better.

I kid you not, I get the same comments all the time.

Lol, that's awesome :) Really excellent modeling displayed there MSolomon (love the robot people), and it's funny how people just get into a mindset that Carrara somehow should be discounted even with obvious evidence it can be used professionally.

I was watching the Dreamlight tutorial videos for modeling (I got suckered into buying in; I don't recommend for anyone else btw). The dreamlight guy started with Lightwave, and learned Lightwave, and loves Lightwave... Lightwave, Lightwave, Lightwave... etc, etc. His course advertised that he would also teach Hexagon, Wings, Carrara, and Blender, but I noticed that whenever he did a tutorial video in one of the other softwares (I mostly watched the Carrara videos, but it was true of all the other software too) he would constantly complain about how backward and hard to use this was and how Lightwave is sooo much better, and it was easily apparent even at a glance that he didn't really know Carrara and was stumbling around trying to find stuff. It became a running advertisement for Lightwave "you really should just go ahead and spend $1500 for Lightwave, it's so much superior" etc, etc, ad nauseum...

All I could think was "you are making basic mistakes and clicking on the wrong things because you don't know Carrara and have too much contempt for it to even bother to try to learn". Meanwhile, watching his videos about Lightwave all I could think was "wow, I'm really glad I don't have Lightwave!" I already don't think much of the Lightwave render engine (just my opinion, but I don't like the way Lightwave renders) and after watching those videos I don't think much of the modeler either, things just seem counterintuitive to me in it. So I guess I should be glad I've saved myself a cool $1500 because I'll never shell out money for Lightwave :)

Now I don't mean any offense to those who use and love Lightwave, but I think I'm pretty glad that I'm learning modeling first in Carrara, and I'm very happy with the modeling tools in Carrara so far and don't feel especially limited or constrained (heck, there's tons of modeling tools in Carrara that I haven't even had use for yet). If I can use a program I'm already familiar with and already own (Carrara) to model in, and don't have to export out to another program, import in, export out, import in, etc etc, that's a big plus for me, not to mention I'm not spending extra money for a different program and fighting through the learning curve for a new program that is always inevitable.

And it's plainly obvious to me just looking through this thread that Carrara is a very capable modeler that can produce quite excellent and detailed models :)

Thanks Jonstark,

I appreciate the awesome creative power of Maya and the other industry standards but they aren't the only creative tools for 3D. Certainly not the easiest or least expensive.

With all that I have learned over the years I still haven't learned all that Carrara can do, especially modeling.

• otodomusotodomus Posts: 332
    edited February 2014

Hello friends, I'd like to share with all of you my recent test in Carrara, is something simple to sight but complex as model, I mean nothing hard to do, but it has almost 20K polygons, my question is, there is a way to do this more efficiently? Do the 20K are OK for a metal sheet model? I mean, I am intending to do this as a part of more complex model, with some structures and other objects, and I feel some scared about the size it would have completed.

Here a shot of one UV mapping I did for testing it.

Oh and by the way, it was done in the vertex modeller room, copying and arranging every part of the texture.

Metal_Texture.jpg-large_.jpg
    931 x 613 - 81K
    Post edited by otodomus on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

otodomus said:
    Hello friends, I'd like to share with all of you my recent test in Carrara, is something simple to sight but complex as model, I mean nothing hard to do, but it has almost 20K polygons, my question is, there is a way to do this more efficiently? Do the 20K are OK for a metal sheet model? I mean, I am intending to do this as a part of more complex model, with some structures and other objects, and I feel some scared about the size it would have completed.

Here a shot of one UV mapping I did for testing it.

You may get a more efficient mesh by using displacement or maybe making a Normal map of your high res mesh and applying it to a lower res version. I don't have Carrara 8 or later, so I can elaborate on the Normal map process, except to say that is what is intended for.

Another option is if this is for a larger model, how much is the focus going to be on this piece? I ask, because the simplest solution would be a bump map.

edited February 2014

You may get a more efficient mesh by using displacement or maybe making a Normal map of your high res mesh and applying it to a lower res version. I don't have Carrara 8 or later, so I can elaborate on the Normal map process, except to say that is what is intended for.

Another option is if this is for a larger model, how much is the focus going to be on this piece? I ask, because the simplest solution would be a bump map.

Hey thanks for your response! Well this was done as a personal challenge to model a texture that I could do the mapping texture, not just the bump but the real texture, but you are quite right, is perhaps part of the model that it will be at some distant point.

I was happy with the result, as the texture map was successful added to the mesh, I can rotate it and do the close up and the texture is there, so I think I will try bumping a texture (I have never done this) and let my textured mesh to other purposes.

Thanks! and to say something this mesh model was done in Carrara 5

PS Where can I find the displacement option?

edited December 1969

otodomus said:

Hey thanks for your response! Well this was done as a personal challenge to model a texture that I could do the mapping texture, not just the bump but the real texture, but you are quite right, is perhaps part of the model that it will be at some distant point.

I was happy with the result, as the texture map was successful added to the mesh, I can rotate it and do the close up and the texture is there, so I think I will try bumping a texture (I have never done this) and let my textured mesh to other purposes.

Thanks! and to say something this mesh model was done in Carrara 5

PS Where can I find the displacement option?

It is impressive. I know I wouldn't have the patience!

Is your version of Carrara 5 the Pro version? I'm not sure when displacement was added, but if it is a map that you are adding, try the Texture room.

There may also be displacement painting in the Pro version. I'm using Carrara 7.2 Pro, so the vertex modeler may look different. You will want to turn on smoothing when painting. Either one level or two. You can save painting as a displacement map in the Vertex modeler under export. There are many brushes included and you can get more.

Picture_3.png
    925 x 731 - 214K
    Picture_2.png
    1280 x 1024 - 534K
    Picture_1.png
    759 x 448 - 56K
    edited December 1969

Hi, the version I have is the 5 Pro, I have also installed the 8.5 but I am more accustomed to use the 5 pro, I will try using that, any ideas on bump settings? I always wondered if a UV mapping can be bumped? Like a dotted pattern or the same metal textured....

edited December 1969

otodomus said:
    Hi, the version I have is the 5 Pro, I have also installed the 8.5 but I am more accustomed to use the 5 pro, I will try using that, any ideas on bump settings? I always wondered if a UV mapping can be bumped? Like a dotted pattern or the same metal textured....

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the UV map being bumped. You can make bump maps using the UV as a template. I don't have a lot of experience creating UV maps.

The bump channel of the shader is a grayscale image, either an image map, or generated using procedural functions such as noise or wires etc. The bright part of the image in the bump channel appears to be a higher bump and the dark part appears to be lower or even indented part. The bump channel does not alter the geometry of the mesh, which is why I asked how close the camera will get. If it's very close, then you will be better using displacement (which does alter the geometry) or your own geometry.

You can get some nice effects using the bump channel in conjunction with other shader channels such as highlight and shininess.

The following image uses lines in the bump channel and the highlight/shininess channels to make it appear there is ribbing under the skin of the Zeppelins. They're not my models, but I re-textured them.

steampunk-army-raw.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Got it! Sorry as I did a very newbie question, I always thought that "bump" meant that any texture would be altered on its geometry, so what the bump does is a contrast paint simulating the texture, interesting.

Thanks for your time and patience, will try with some of the options you gave me.

Regards!

Otto

edited February 2014

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the UV map being bumped. You can make bump maps using the UV as a template. I don't have a lot of experience creating UV maps.

The bump channel of the shader is a grayscale image, either an image map, or generated using procedural functions such as noise or wires etc. The bright part of the image in the bump channel appears to be a higher bump and the dark part appears to be lower or even indented part. The bump channel does not alter the geometry of the mesh, which is why I asked how close the camera will get. If it's very close, then you will be better using displacement (which does alter the geometry) or your own geometry.

You can get some nice effects using the bump channel in conjunction with other shader channels such as highlight and shininess.

The following image uses lines in the bump channel and the highlight/shininess channels to make it appear there is ribbing under the skin of the Zeppelins. They're not my models, but I re-textured them.

Hi, you know, I have explored what "bump" tool can do, and I feel a little bit dumb, the textured bump can reproduce a very similar of what I did, the huge difference that it doesn't have the big size of my model, I am posting a detail of the mesh I have reproduced.

Will post later a sample using the bump option.

Thanks for your advices friend.

Otto

Textured_Metal_Mesh.png
    1616 x 908 - 235K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited December 1969

For anyone who comes across this thread and gets interested in vertex modeling, I highly recommend the Carrara vertex modeling tutorial by MMoir.

Carrara Modeling Tutorials
    mmoir
    Description
    This product contains three complete video tutorials or mini projects created from start to finish with a focus on the Vertex modeler. Each tutorial is created and narrated by an experienced Carrara user and has all the keyboard and mouse clicks displayed to help in following the tutorial.
    You can follow along as each realistic mini project is modeled, textured and has final lighting applied. This is a great resource if you want to improve your skills in Carrara in general and the Vertex modeler in particular. Workflow and tool specific tips are shared along the creation process which will help make modeling in Carrara a little less painful.

http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-modeling-tutorials

• KixumKixum Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just thought I'd post an image of my latest modeling foray.

20 Hours. All 100% Carrara.

Batwing_Day_05_02_1650.jpg
    1650 x 1100 - 102K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Kixum - great work!

This is a scene that I modelled, textured and lit in Carrara, I already posted it over at Renderosity so thought that I would share it here too.

LivingRoom-FinalFinal.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 403K
    edited December 1969

Really nice details and in the room and with the shaders. The lighting looks great as well.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,105
    edited December 1969

Beautiful work, both of you.
    Phil, the lighting you've done is nothing shy of breathtaking. All linear workflow I'm assuming?
    Are you using GI with IL or did you try an alternate method? I really like the effects you have going on here, and it works really wel with my studies from the Birn book, which has me dying to try incorporating the Occlusion Sandwich method as a test to see if it's possibly a way to go for me. IL has become totally out of the question, as it just adds too much time to each single frame. The sandwich method is looking like a fantastic solution.

Anyways, Both of you - excellent work!

edited March 2014

Phil, the lighting you've done is nothing shy of breathtaking. All linear workflow I'm assuming?
    Are you using GI with IL or did you try an alternate method? I really like the effects you have going on here, and it works really wel with my studies from the Birn book, which has me dying to try incorporating the Occlusion Sandwich method as a test to see if it's possibly a way to go for me. IL has become totally out of the question, as it just adds too much time to each single frame. The sandwich method is looking like a fantastic solution.

Hey Dart, I'm trying an animated occlusion sammich test render as we speak. I'll post my results in a new thread.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited March 2014

PhilW said:
    Kixum - great work!

This is a scene that I modelled, textured and lit in Carrara, I already posted it over at Renderosity so thought that I would share it here too.

Grab another mug and put the kettle on....be over in a tick!

:P SileneUK

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • MysticWingsMysticWings Posts: 226
    edited March 2014

I have many other examples. But not rendered. This is a conforming top I started just a little while ago to try out Phil's lesson on using Daz Studio to convert Carrara models into conforming cloth. Since the lesson, Daz Studio has become much better and even easier - and if you get the Pro version while it's free, you get all those great tools for free too!

Didn't read all the thread, but I would really love to model cloth and learn how to make it work good at all levels in daz and carrara. What is this lesson you are talking about?

Ah, by the way, just bought learning carrara 8.5 from infinite skills!! :) it was on sale and I could not let it go... ;) now I will really start to learn how to take advantage of this amazing software!!!

So many things I want to learn at the same time... but cloths are really something I love!!!
    Oh, and hairs!!! Would love so much to learn how to make hairs!!!

Post edited by MysticWings on
    edited December 1969

I have many other examples. But not rendered. This is a conforming top I started just a little while ago to try out Phil's lesson on using Daz Studio to convert Carrara models into conforming cloth. Since the lesson, Daz Studio has become much better and even easier - and if you get the Pro version while it's free, you get all those great tools for free too!

Didn't read all the thread, but I would really love to model cloth and learn how to make it work good at all levels in daz and carrara. What is this lesson you are talking about?

Ah, by the way, just bought learning carrara 8.5 from infinite skills!! :) it was on sale and I could not let it go... ;) now I will really start to learn how to take advantage of this amazing software!!!

So many things I want to learn at the same time... but cloths are really something I love!!!

I think Dart was referring to the lessons on clothing in the Advanced Carrara training, also from Infinite Skills (which I authored). There are lessons on using Carrara's dynamic hair in the Learning Carrara set you have just purchased, I hope you find them useful.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

Dartanbeck, I have the book I think its release 2 (I need to check) are you going through release 3 or 2? I haven't read much of the book yet so not familiar with the Occlusion Sandwich.. YET!

edited December 1969

PhilW said:

I think Dart was referring to the lessons on clothing in the Advanced Carrara training, also from Infinite Skills (which I authored). There are lessons on using Carrara's dynamic hair in the Learning Carrara set you have just purchased, I hope you find them useful.

Thank you!! Didn't knew it was you! :) I will buy the advance carrara training after!! But one at a time!! These last 3 or 4 months (since I started working on 3d) have been "eating" tutorials one after another hours for day (actually had to stop some days now cause my brain "asked" me to let him integrate all)... and the more I learn, the more I see there is to learn!! And more I want to learn!! Have projects that I love that will really get amazing with this. So, maybe I just have to calm a little and give a step at a time!!! lololol. I am already making a model in carrara, but want to really learn to take advantage of this software, cause the experience I'm having doing this model shows me that I can do much more.

So tomorrow will go back to learning and starting this new training!! :)

edited December 1969

In Phil's Advanced Carrara Training, he shows us how we can make conforming clothes using V4 as an example, and the Content Creation Tools in DAZ Studio to turn it into conforming clothes. I'm still kicking around ideas for making hair, and have a few tests started. But clothing is really fun! Same principle, but the hair I want is proving to be much more difficult for me than clothing - only because I'm still trying to decide how I want to go about it.

edited December 1969

LOL!
    Hi Phil! Wow... I type slow :)

edited December 1969

Hey Dart, I'm trying an animated occlusion sammich test render as we speak. I'll post my results in a new thread.

Awesome!
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:

Thank you!! Didn't knew it was you! :) I will buy the advance carrara training after!! But one at a time!! These last 3 or 4 months (since I started working on 3d) have been "eating" tutorials one after another hours for day (actually had to stop some days now cause my brain "asked" me to let him integrate all)... and the more I learn, the more I see there is to learn!! And more I want to learn!! Have projects that I love that will really get amazing with this. So, maybe I just have to calm a little and give a step at a time!!! lololol. I am already making a model in carrara, but want to really learn to take advantage of this software, cause the experience I'm having doing this model shows me that I can do much more.

So tomorrow will go back to learning and starting this new training!! :)

Good stuff - there is so much breadth to Carrara that we are all still learning!

edited December 1969

-_Milo_- said:

Dartanbeck, I have the book I think its release 2 (I need to check) are you going through release 3 or 2? I haven't read much of the book yet so not familiar with the Occlusion Sandwich.. YET!

He and I are reading version 3. I'm standing over his shoulder with my telescopic reading glasses as I'm just outside of Curtiss and he's in the heart of Algoma. But hey, the sun is bright right now so it's not so bad. ;-)

edited December 1969

Ahahahah! Hi Dartan!! :)

Really had to take some days out of the computer... to rest and to organize things...
    Soon will have my "star" model done and then I'll show you!! :) You really helped me a lot!!

Right now I'm wanting to learn lots of things, but also have to organize cause some things are really important to my illustrations. Like making skins to my characters... Not easy to make good characters when you have fairies and pixies with very different and out of common skins... One more thing to learn...
    But at the same time want to learn modeling and falled in love with carrara as soon as I start working with it... And want to create terrains and plants for the scenes :)
    And at the same time learning lighting, scene making, posing... in daz...

I should really understand that I am just one person.... lololololol
    But I will get there!! :)

edited December 1969

-_Milo_- said:

I have the brand new third edition.
    Oh man... you gotta get reading! He is an amazing teacher and there's so much to learn. I just finished chapter four and just keep plugging away, paragraph at a time, when ever time permits. There's still so much book to go... and I look forward, truly, to each next page - it really is that good. He also teaches you, right from the start, that he's not going to bore you in his lessons. He starts off giving out a good wealth of tips and tricks, which might urge someone into quitting reading and just going back to work. But he's actually preparing reinforcing ideas into your head for later retrieval as he teaches you a whole heaping lot more - and like I say, I have a lot of book left - much more than half. Soooo Goood!

...and Tania, I'm glad to hear that you'll be learning the PhilW methods. He's an excellent instructor and I often visit the Advanced Techniques course over and over. I have yet to get the Learning course that you just bought. Even though I feel rather advanced inside, I'm so happy with the advanced package that I really look forward to the basic course as well. The working file in his Advanced Course are quite valuable - I use them a lot as examples to remind me of his words as I work. I keep harassing him to make more courses! :)

edited December 1969

Ahahahah! Hi Dartan!! :)

Really had to take some days out of the computer... to rest and to organize things...
    Soon will have my "star" model done and then I'll show you!! :) You really helped me a lot!!

Right now I'm wanting to learn lots of things, but also have to organize cause some things are really important to my illustrations. Like making skins to my characters... Not easy to make good characters when you have fairies and pixies with very different and out of common skins... One more thing to learn...
    But at the same time want to learn modeling and falled in love with carrara as soon as I start working with it... And want to create terrains and plants for the scenes :)
    And at the same time learning lighting, scene making, posing... in daz...

I should really understand that I am just one person.... lololololol
    But I will get there!! :)

Okay, I know that you JUST said that the brain needs a break, but for your skin shaders, I have some simple advice for you in one of my latest articles at the Carrara Cafe:
    Optimizing Your Content - Shader Basics
    Just a quick and simple solution when you're first learning Carrara. Those are the best subjects for me to write about since I'm still such a newbie! :ahhh:
    edited December 1969

The scene I posted was done for the upcoming training set "Realism in Carrara" so I talk you through various aspects of the scene such as the interior lighting technique, materials, even how to make that bookcase (I think you'll be surprised!). Another week or two and I will have completed the actual recording. Infinite Skills then do a lot of editing to make me look professional!