Making glass in DS

Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
edited July 2012 in Daz Studio Discussion

Does anyone know of any good tutorials or have any tips on making glass in DS? I've tried using the DS glass preset but it doesn't look right. Is glass heavily affected by light in DS (compared to Bryce)? (I've already tried the stickied post on shader mixer tutorials and recipies but there doens't seem to be anything there).

Post edited by Eva1 on

Comments

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

Are you after shader mixer settings or standard DS settings .

As regular DS setting I tend to use. I find as long as you have raytrace setting set to at least 4 in your render settings these look very good.

Diffuse Color 108 119 134
    strength 100%

Glossiness 95%
    Specular Color 200 200 200
    Specular strength 100%

Specular Through opacity = on

Ambient Color 225 225 181
    Ambient Stength 25%

Opacity Strength 25%

Bump Setting (to show if using a bump map)

Displacement (to show if using a displacement map)

Reflection Color 255 255 255
    Reflection Strength 75%

Refraction Color 255 255 255
    Index of Refraction 2.00

Lighting Model = Plastic

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited December 1969

Thanks for sharing those setting Neil. I'm after either, DS normal or Shader Mixer type galss. What I want is to make glass that looks as if it has some volume, like you can in Bryce. I'm not quite there yet...

edited December 1969

This is what those settings look like rendered in DS4 (no lights) this is in Art collabs new set (Build A Scene) for which I created the DS settings for the lamp looks better than the window at the moment as tit has more items to reflect off. To add a bit of volume you may need to add a texture map or a bump map to the glass.

glass.jpg
    600 x 800 - 243K
    edited December 1969

here are the same sort of settings with a bump map applied as well ( still rendered with no lights or not a lot to give good reflections)

glass_2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 248K
  • Oom FooyatOom Fooyat Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The Shader Mixer Presets' Glass Shader was made for DS3 (or earlier?) to handle caustics. Shader Mixer was upgraded in DS4.0 and the upgrade broke the Chrome and Glass shaders.
    If you run the Caustics Sample scene you will not get what you see in the thumb nail. The caustics work but the Chrome is not reflective. In the Glass shader the caustics are broken too. DAZ has so far not given any hint on how to fix them and I would not be surprised if it still broken in DS4.5.
    There was a thread in the old forum were we tried to get a glass caustic shader to work.

Cheers! Oom

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

Thanks for this, NeilV1. Just saved that as a couple shader presets for my own use. :)

One, I used your settings exactly, the other I did without Refraction, for those times when I need the faster render speed over the accuracy, and I think it came out pretty nice. (three distant lights, under a sky-dome prop)

Glass_(No_refraction).png
    200 x 200 - 54K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

The Shader Mixer Presets' Glass Shader was made for DS3 (or earlier?) to handle caustics. Shader Mixer was upgraded in DS4.0 and the upgrade broke the Chrome and Glass shaders.
    If you run the Caustics Sample scene you will not get what you see in the thumb nail. The caustics work but the Chrome is not reflective. In the Glass shader the caustics are broken too. DAZ has so far not given any hint on how to fix them and I would not be surprised if it still broken in DS4.5.
    There was a thread in the old forum were we tried to get a glass caustic shader to work.

Cheers! Oom

I cam confirm these have been fixed in DS4.5 RC2. I tested rendered each Shader Preset as I made a bug report back in Feb. :)
    edited December 1969

Neil that some nice glass work there. :)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Neil that some nice glass work there. :)
    Sure is. Copied and saved as shader, thank you.
  • IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Neil, looks lovely :)

• Oom FooyatOom Fooyat Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

Cheers! Oom

I cam confirm these have been fixed in DS4.5 RC2. I tested rendered each Shader Preset as I made a bug report back in Feb. :)

That is great, caustic glass at last :-)

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:
    Are you after shader mixer settings or standard DS settings .

As regular DS setting I tend to use. I find as long as you have raytrace setting set to at least 4 in your render settings these look very good.

strength 100%

Glossiness 95%
    Specular strength 100%

Ambient Stength 25%

Opacity Strength 25%

Reflection Strength 75%

Index of Refraction 2.00

Lighting Model = Plastic

I've just tried these setting for the Daz default shader in DS4.6, but it doesn't look much like glass.. what am I doing wrong?

glasses_test.jpg
    700 x 700 - 136K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

WHat do your render setting look like? With glass and mirrors the render settings are just as important.

edited August 2014

As Frank said render settings make a difference. I would guess that your Max raytrace depth is too low. As it looks from your image these glasses have a thickness to each side so you would need at least 4 Ray Traces for the light to penetrate the four sides of the glass so the light passes all the way through. And no you don't need an extra one for Ray Traced Shadows as you can get Ray Traced shadows with Max Ray Trace Depth at 0. :)

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    WHat do your render setting look like? With glass and mirrors the render settings are just as important.

they are using the AMR "very high quality" render settings preset (which includes a max raytrace depth of 4)

edited December 1969

Should have taken a better look as you have shadows...doh!

Ok can you show the surfaces please and what lights are you using?

edited December 1969

oh and I noticed Neli's settings on page 1 has Specular Through opacity = on If no transmaps are used then turn it OFF.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    oh and I noticed Neli's settings on page 1 has Specular Through opacity = on If no transmaps are used then turn it OFF.

I am using these lights (recommended as a standard test set for materials) elsewhere in this forum (wancow's thread)
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/69039/view/21/DAZ-Studio/WC-3Delight-Baseline-Test-Lighting

I did think the problem was that the excessive grey look of the glass was just the background. So I have added a more interesting background , but they still look very grey. And they seem to be refracting way too much.

also, fyi, the left hand glass has "coke" in it

glasses_test_2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 306K
    edited December 1969

Ok the lights will do fine.

Personally I lower Diffuse colour to about 20 -30% and opacity down to 5% and I don't use Ambient at all. The colours you choose aslo makes a difference to

edited December 1969

What color do you have set for your specular and reflect

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    What color do you have set for your specular and reflect

I just used the settings at the top of this thread

spec 200 200 200
    reflect 255 255 255

edited August 2014

Edit, Nevermind. Neil posted it earlier

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • pcicconepciccone Posts: 661
    edited December 1969

Not to push my own product but there is no better glass that what LuxRender does. All images were made using Reality for Studio.

Cheers.

Glass_2.png
    650 x 500 - 323K
    Glass1.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 141K
    Glass_3.png
    800 x 800 - 702K
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220
    edited December 1969

Pret-A-3D said:
    Not to push my own product but there is no better glass that what LuxRender does. All images were made using Reality for Studio.

Cheers.

great images Paolo, is there a reality plugin for DAZStudio 4.6 ? Since I moved from DS 3.1A I've missed having Reality as a render option.

• pcicconepciccone Posts: 661
    edited December 1969

Absolutely. I released Reality 2.5 a while ago. It works great in Studio 4.6.

Cheers.

edited December 1969

Pret-A-3D said:

Cheers.

show off :)
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

And of course similar results can be got with Luxus which is available for both DS and Carrara

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    And of course similar results can be got with Luxus which is available for both DS and Carrara

Yes, I know all about Luxrender (and Reality) but the render times are prohibitive, so I am trying to master 3Delight.

So with all respect to Pret A 3D, can we go back to my glasses?

I have lowered diffuse to 25% and ambient to 0%. but it also occurred to me that the refractive index might be too high (as most glass is actually more like 1.5, not 2.0). This may be what is giving the "over refracted" look

Also, the problem with dialling opacity down to 5% is that the glasses don't cast shadows... Not sure what to do about that.

Here is my latest attempt. Still not looking very natural... is the glass too thick?

glasses_test_IoR_1.5_.jpg
    700 x 700 - 307K
    edited August 2014

Ok, I think the problem was the model, not the surfaces.

I have applied the same surface settings to a different glass and it looks fine now

(this is diffuse=0% by the way)

Thanks for the help!

glasses_test_IoR_1.5_second_.jpg
    700 x 700 - 307K
    Post edited by Sertorial on
  • Nathy DesignNathy Design Posts: 1,163
    edited December 1969

Hi,

I work about a monocle and i can't make sharder of glass with DS4.6.

My glass obj has two faces... I vould like to have transparency but it d'ont work correctly. I can't use render engine because my CG is too old.

Could you help me please. I try with this setting ;
    strength 100%

Glossiness 95%
    Specular strength 100%

Ambient Stength 25%

Opacity Strength 25%

Reflection Strength 75%

Index of Refraction 2.00

Lighting Model = Plastic