Semi new to rendering-now need help with cpu and gpu

memoriivmemoriiv Posts: 64
edited May 2019 in Daz Studio Discussion

I just got a new computer, one with AMD CPU and GPU

I rendered this as a test render with Iray. Would it be better to use 3Delight? I have no idea how to use it anymore since I last used it in Middle school about a decade ago. any help or tips is greately appriciated.

this took 10 minutes to render

Post edited by memoriiv on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191

Remember that an AMD GPU is not going to be used by Iray, so you will be limited to the CPU. Whether you want to use Iray or 3Delight will depend on your goals.

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,116
    edited May 2019
    memoriiv said:

I rendered this as a test render with Iray. Would it be better to use 3Delight? I have no idea how to use it anymore since I last used it in Middle school about a decade ago. any help or tips is greately appriciated.

I wouldn't use 3Delight nowadays! Yes, some people can achieve great things with it, but I have the feeling that the whole industry is moving away from it. Iray is more photorealistic and it's easier in general.

The AMD CPU is fine, but you won't use your AMD GPU, sadly, as Richard has already said!

If you're just starting out, I've made some tutorials for beginners (you'll find them in my signature).

I guess there's no "book" where to learn Daz Studio! It will take a lot of trials and errors!
    YouTube tutorials, the forum and DeviantArt are what has helped me the most so far!

I'd suggest you to not spend money for now, since you would end up wasting it on many products you'll never use again: get a hang of the software first! :D
    Here you can find many freebies to experiment with: https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

When you'll want to buy some products, here I've made a list of what I've found most useful: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/319396/very-useful-daz-products-imho-converters-lights-utilities-morphs-vram-optimizers-shaders-etc

Post edited by LenioTG on
  • memoriivmemoriiv Posts: 64
    TGFan4 said:
    memoriiv said:

I wouldn't use 3Delight nowadays! Yes, some people can achieve great things with it, but I have the feeling that the whole industry is moving away from it. Iray is more photorealistic and it's easier in general.

The AMD CPU is fine, but you won't use your AMD GPU, sadly, as Richard has already said!

If you're just starting out, I've made some tutorials for beginners (you'll find them in my signature).

I guess there's no "book" where to learn Daz Studio! It will take a lot of trials and errors!
    YouTube tutorials, the forum and DeviantArt are what has helped me the most so far!

I'd suggest you to not spend money for now, since you would end up wasting it on many products you'll never use again: get a hang of the software first! :D
    Here you can find many freebies to experiment with: https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

When you'll want to buy some products, here I've made a list of what I've found most useful: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/319396/very-useful-daz-products-imho-converters-lights-utilities-morphs-vram-optimizers-shaders-etc

What I am awnting to do is simple portraits. but I am unsure how long on average it is supposed to take or if daz is the best program for my pc

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited May 2019
    memoriiv said:
    TGFan4 said:
    memoriiv said:

What I am awnting to do is simple portraits. but I am unsure how long on average it is supposed to take or if daz is the best program for my pc

If I may suggest, get this product, it works for both render engines, and will produce nice and fast renders with 3DL when using HDRI lighting. There is a pretty large thread full of tips buried somewhere in the commercial forum section but if you have questions, just post them here:)

https://www.daz3d.com/ibl-master-for-daz-studio

Just to clarify, it won't speed up your IRay renders, but is useful for adjusting the dome rotation, and it will have an impact on 3DL renders, as it uses a light shader that renders transmapped stuff, such as hair and plants, much faster;)

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
    memoriiv said:
    TGFan4 said:
    memoriiv said:

If your computer could do that render in 10 minutes, you should be fine for now. As long as you render with an HDRI map (a 360 background with lights included), a backplane (Daz Studio renders your image over a background photo), or just use a simple plane as a background, your renders should be pretty fast. Once you try to render something inside a room or building, there's a lot more light bouncing around and render time goes up into the hours or even days.

If you're the do-it-yourself type, there is a utility to export from DS to Blender, from there you can render with an AMD GPU. I haven't tried it, so I can't really recommend it.

memoriiv said:
    TGFan4 said:
    memoriiv said:

If I may suggest, get this product, it works for both render engines, and will produce nice and fast renders with 3DL when using HDRI lighting. There is a pretty large thread full of tips buried somewhere in the commercial forum section but if you have questions, just post them here:)

https://www.daz3d.com/ibl-master-for-daz-studio

I know this is a wide question. but how long should I look for renders to be with Iray?

it took 30 min to render this. I stopped it here and cut the size in half. I used my Cpu in Iray. My Cpu is Ryzen 7 2700

me.png
    318 x 450 - 307K

How do I render something without it taking 30+ minutes and not have the graniness show up in iray?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    memoriiv said:

How do I render something without it taking 30+ minutes and not have the graniness show up in iray?

You will need an Nvidia GPU.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Well as Kitsumo mentioned, rendering with an HDRI is probably the fastest way, but I use 3Delight so not an IRay expert. Maybe install DS 4.11 beta, it has a denoiser and I've seen many comments about it being a timesaver. There's also the possibility to use the new aweSurface for 3Delight that can produce results similar to IRay, but I wouldn't recommend it for beginners as you have to convert every material from IRay or 3Delight shaders to awe. Here's the commercial package anyway if you want to look into it: https://www.daz3d.com/aweshading-kit-10-for-daz-studio

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
    edited May 2019

As far as getting rid of the grain, there's a denoiser available https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/316206/denoise-renders-and-save-a-lot-of-time-nvidia-not-reqd/p1 It's a bit of a process to install, but I tried it and it works pretty well.

Post edited by Kitsumo on

For the grainess there's the denoiser, but mostly you'll slowly learn how to light your scenes!

30min is not that bad I guess! To lower the time required for your renders you could use some resource optimizer tools, like Scene Optimizer.

edited May 2019
    TGFan4 said:

For the grainess there's the denoiser, but mostly you'll slowly learn how to light your scenes!

30min is not that bad I guess! To lower the time required for your renders you could use some resource optimizer tools, like Scene Optimizer.

I heard there was a way to render to a point where almost all the noise was gone and then reduce the image to get rid of the rest of the noises? how would I do that? does it work?

would the 4.11 denoiser work with amd cpu?

I just did some random renders

1st one took 12 minutes to completely finish by itself

2nd one took 28 minutes and I stopped it there

3rd one took 27 minutes before I stopped it

then I wondered what happens with a sort of filter

12.png
    509 x 720 - 207K
    28.png
    500 x 647 - 555K
    27.png
    512 x 721 - 769K
    28-2.png
    500 x 647 - 650K
    batch_27.png
    512 x 721 - 827K

Nice start @memoriiv !

That's called oversampling: for example, you render at 4k, then you scale down to 1080p, and it looks like it has less noise. I use it all the time, since it doesn't take that longer to render a bigger image.

The 4.11 denoiser is basically the Nvidia one. The problem with it is that you only need it to work one single time, but if you let it start it will act on every single iteration, slowing down your render a lot for no reason.
    A workaround is to enable it, but to not activate it. Then, when you're rendering, at the center-left there's a button that lets you see some render settings, and then you can enable the denoiser when you've basically finished.
    Or set a number of iterations for the render to stop (for example 1000), and let the denoiser start at 999.

I don't know if it works with an AMD CPU, but I guess it does, because I always use the external Intel denoiser (it's in the thread they've already linked you), and I have an AMD CPU too.
    I prefer the Intel denoiser because it's less aggressive, and it doesn't require those workarounds I've listed previously that the integrated denoiser needs to not slow you down.

edited May 2019
    TGFan4 said:

Nice start @memoriiv !

That's called oversampling: for example, you render at 4k, then you scale down to 1080p, and it looks like it has less noise. I use it all the time, since it doesn't take that longer to render a bigger image.

The 4.11 denoiser is basically the Nvidia one. The problem with it is that you only need it to work one single time, but if you let it start it will act on every single iteration, slowing down your render a lot for no reason.
    A workaround is to enable it, but to not activate it. Then, when you're rendering, at the center-left there's a button that lets you see some render settings, and then you can enable the denoiser when you've basically finished.
    Or set a number of iterations for the render to stop (for example 1000), and let the denoiser start at 999.

I don't know if it works with an AMD CPU, but I guess it does, because I always use the external Intel denoiser (it's in the thread they've already linked you), and I have an AMD CPU too.
    I prefer the Intel denoiser because it's less aggressive, and it doesn't require those workarounds I've listed previously that the integrated denoiser needs to not slow you down.

only problem is I have no idea how to set it up and use it :c I tried and I could not get it at all

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    memoriiv said:
    TGFan4 said:

I heard there was a way to render to a point where almost all the noise was gone and then reduce the image to get rid of the rest of the noises? how would I do that? does it work?

Yes I have a amd cpu (the same as yours but I do have a nvidia GPU) and the denoiser works fine. Your render times seem pretty good to me for cpu only. 

edited May 2019
    scorpio said:
    memoriiv said:
    TGFan4 said:

Yes I have a amd cpu (the same as yours but I do have a nvidia GPU) and the denoiser works fine. Your render times seem pretty good to me for cpu only. 

the best one was the girl in black and red. going to see if I can recreate the same image and see what might be working there.whenever I add in different lights or mess with the render settings beyond resolution, the render takes forever and remains grainy

memoriiv said:
    TGFan4 said:

Nice start @memoriiv !

only problem is I have no idea how to set it up and use it :c I tried and I could not get it at all

If you scroll the thread there's a simple software they've made, tell it where the Intel denoiser is, drag your image there, and it will be denoised! :D

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    memoriiv said:

Depth of Field.

Select the Camera, switch on DOF and change the focus so the part you want in focus. Images without it shoult "I'm a render" to me.

edited May 2019
    TGFan4 said:
    memoriiv said:
    TGFan4 said:

Nice start @memoriiv !

If you scroll the thread there's a simple software they've made, tell it where the Intel denoiser is, drag your image there, and it will be denoised! :D

Can you link it to me? I for the life of me cannot find it

Edit: Finally found it !

for a couple of them I actually prefer the grainy ones.somehow makes it look slightly more realistic

27.png
    512 x 721 - 769K
    27_denoisedIntel.png
    512 x 721 - 506K
    20.png
    3840 x 2160 - 2M
    28.png
    500 x 647 - 555K
    20_denoisedIntel.png
    3840 x 2160 - 2M
    28_denoisedIntel.png
    500 x 647 - 414K
    memoriiv said:
    TGFan4 said:
    memoriiv said:
    TGFan4 said:

Nice start @memoriiv !

for a couple of them I actually prefer the grainy ones.somehow makes it look slightly more realistic

Nice! :D

The Intel Denoiser is slightly less aggressive than the Nvidia one.

If the image already looks good, I leave it be.

In general I consider it a great technological advance, compared to the general blur we used previously!

TGFan4 said:
    memoriiv said:
    TGFan4 said:
    memoriiv said:
    TGFan4 said:

Nice start @memoriiv !

In general I consider it a great technological advance, compared to the general blur we used previously!

oddly enough,this is the intel one. I wonder if I could just use a soft bluring tool in PS or gimp to slight smooth over areas with grain

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    memoriiv said:

oddly enough,this is the intel one. I wonder if I could just use a soft bluring tool in PS or gimp to slight smooth over areas with grain

You could but it could take more time depending on how noisy the image is.

I use the Intel denoiser on all my renders now, even ones that look to be without noise to get that last little bit of grain out.  If you end up post processing images in the future, that usally brings any grain in the image out.

edited May 2019
    memoriiv said:
    TGFan4 said:
    memoriiv said:
    TGFan4 said:
    memoriiv said:
    TGFan4 said:

Nice start @memoriiv !

That would be going back! I hated the results when many artists blurred everything out :(

This is a render I've just realized: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/782421/

I've used the Intel denoiser, and then in Photoshop I've put it over the original render, and I've deleted just the character face, because I didn't want it blurred! It's still pretty different than just blurring everything out I guess.

Post edited by LenioTG on
    Mattymanx said:
    memoriiv said:

I use the Intel denoiser on all my renders now, even ones that look to be without noise to get that last little bit of grain out.  If you end up post processing images in the future, that usally brings any grain in the image out.

on my renders that I tried it on made the details go away in the lips and other areas making it look blurry

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    memoriiv said:
    Mattymanx said:
    memoriiv said:

on my renders that I tried it on made the details go away in the lips and other areas making it look blurry

It is dependant on how many samples Iray got to before the render stopped.  Fewer samples means less detail to work with. 

edited May 2019
    Mattymanx said:
    memoriiv said:
    Mattymanx said:
    memoriiv said:

It is dependant on how many samples Iray got to before the render stopped.  Fewer samples means less detail to work with. 

I was thinking of importing daz to blender so that it can use my GPU or maybe use 3delight

memoriiv said:
    Mattymanx said:
    memoriiv said:
    Mattymanx said:
    memoriiv said:

I was thinking of importing daz to blender so that it can use my GPU or maybe use 3delight

I don't like 3Delight...unless you're very good, it looks so 90s to me xD

How does that work? I only knew about Octane, but it's 20$/month.

edited May 2019
    TGFan4 said:
    memoriiv said:
    Mattymanx said:
    memoriiv said:
    Mattymanx said:
    memoriiv said:

I don't like 3Delight...unless you're very good, it looks so 90s to me xD

How does that work? I only knew about Octane, but it's 20$/month.

There are many rendering softwares out there.blender is free and can access AMD ProRender plugin.I just want to test my GPU with rendering.I started with 3Delight  back in middle school.One of my renders was published in my spanish class's book in high school. 3delight dino made it in

Well as Kitsumo mentioned, rendering with an HDRI is probably the fastest way, but I use 3Delight so not an IRay expert. Maybe install DS 4.11 beta, it has a denoiser and I've seen many comments about it being a timesaver. There's also the possibility to use the new aweSurface for 3Delight that can produce results similar to IRay, but I wouldn't recommend it for beginners as you have to convert every material from IRay or 3Delight shaders to awe. Here's the commercial package anyway if you want to look into it: https://www.daz3d.com/aweshading-kit-10-for-daz-studio

Is there any must need 3Delight items I should look into?