Poser Skydomes...Would these work in Daz 4.10?

jukingeojukingeo Posts: 693

Hello all,

In lieu of the recent sale, I am curious if these Poser Skydomes will work in Daz 4.10 and without Terradome 2:

https://www.daz3d.com/serene-under-the-watchful-skies-vol-3

https://www.daz3d.com/under-the-watchful-skies-vol2

Thank you

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718

I don't know. The Terradome2 itself is Poser-only, and given what they have to do I doubt that the suplied Poser materials would do anything. Whether the maps could be used though manual application would depend on their mapping, and how well they worked would depend on things like their bit-depth (given their age I suspect they are 8-bits per channel, which would not work as HDRI, but that may be wrong).

• RandomRandom Posts: 173
    edited May 2019

I use Flink Poser based skydomes all the time, 3Delight renders. They're just half domes with various sky images for material.. Flink is with Renderosity.

Post edited by Random on
  • jukingeojukingeo Posts: 693

I don't know. The Terradome2 itself is Poser-only, and given what they have to do I doubt that the suplied Poser materials would do anything. Whether the maps could be used though manual application would depend on their mapping, and how well they worked would depend on things like their bit-depth (given their age I suspect they are 8-bits per channel, which would not work as HDRI, but that may be wrong).

It does say that it is an Ibls dome, so that should load in to the environment settings tab, right?   It doesn't seem like a physical dome, but I could be wrong and hence why I am asking.

Thanks!

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

They don't work in 4.11 Iray and there is no image loaded to put in the Environment Map. The other lights are just ordinary lights that can be set to Photometric. The skydome is just a half mesh dome that blocks the light just the same as any of the other skydomes. I haven't searched through the Runtime for any textures that might be there though.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    jukingeo said:

It does say that it is an Ibls dome, so that should load in to the environment settings tab, right?   It doesn't seem like a physical dome, but I could be wrong and hence why I am asking.

Thanks!

No, because there are no DS format files. DS can read only a very limited set of values from Poser materials, and definitely not IBL settings. If the images used for the IBL are suitable it may be possible to manually load them into the Iray environment, or into uber Environment for 3Delight.

Fishtales said:

They don't work in 4.11 Iray and there is no image loaded to put in the Environment Map. The other lights are just ordinary lights that can be set to Photometric. The skydome is just a half mesh dome that blocks the light just the same as any of the other skydomes. I haven't searched through the Runtime for any textures that might be there though.

I beleive that IBL lights in Poser are regular lights with special settings (which DS won't read).

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

I beleive that IBL lights in Poser are regular lights with special settings (which DS won't read).

It looks like a distant light, three arrows, pointing down but there is no actual light. The dome loads but there is no image either on it or loaded with it. It does say that there are image maps and texture maps but I haven't found them.

Ok, thanks for the info guys!

• CarlCGCarlCG Posts: 114

@jukingeo

I don't use Poser or Terradome2 but if you do a standard DIM installation with this package, you can find the 22 large texture maps in your Runtime folder: Runtime\Textures\RDNA\TerraDome2\Skydome\Syyd Raven\Serene\

Inside that folder there are 22 sky jpeg files with 8000x1800 resolution (120mb total for all 22 textures). The skies do look really cool but I guess you can really only use them as a backdrop, not an actual lighting source, unless you're using Poser or 3Delight, as others have mentioned. I just picked them up as a freebie with the current RuntimeDNA- 1 Item Free Sale going on.

@jukingeo

I don't use Poser or Terradome2 but if you do a standard DIM installation with this package, you can find the 22 large texture maps in your Runtime folder: Runtime\Textures\RDNA\TerraDome2\Skydome\Syyd Raven\Serene\

Inside that folder there are 22 sky jpeg files with 8000x1800 resolution (120mb total for all 22 textures). The skies do look really cool but I guess you can really only use them as a backdrop, not an actual lighting source, unless you're using Poser or 3Delight, as others have mentioned. I just picked them up as a freebie with the current RuntimeDNA- 1 Item Free Sale going on.

That is cool if you got those for free.  I missed that sale.   However, I was told that Terradome3 is the only one set up for Iray.  The domes for Terradome2 aren't and they would completely obscure the default 'sunlight' created by the default environment controls.   So that would mean the domes would have to be made an emissive surface, but it would lack a definitive sun location.  I guess putting a distant light set very brightly could create a sun, but I have tried that, and it doesn't seem to work as good as an HDRI dome with an emissive point to mimic the sun.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153

I use poser sky domes in daz studio all the time  for 3dl use ue2 lights sheres and iray you need to do a little leg work to convert them.   . I use older dreamlights 3dl sky dome, I use glasseyes poser sky domes I have exports poser built in sky dome as a .obj so i can add my own textures to it in daz and yes you can use them in iray , you have to convert the sky dome to Subd to get rid of the lines you get sduring rendering and iray uber shader  and make them emissive so they light the sky to show the sky texture  other wise they will be black during iray renders.

Ivy said:

I use poser sky domes in daz studio all the time  for 3dl use ue2 lights sheres and iray you need to do a little leg work to convert them.   . I use older dreamlights 3dl sky dome, I use glasseyes poser sky domes I have exports poser built in sky dome as a .obj so i can add my own textures to it in daz and yes you can use them in iray , you have to convert the sky dome to Subd to get rid of the lines you get sduring rendering and iray uber shader  and make them emissive so they light the sky to show the sky texture  other wise they will be black during iray renders.

Can you create a point lighting with this, or you just get the whole dome to glow?

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited June 2019

its easier to make the sky dome emissive (see capture) and keep the emissive low and add distant and spots lights as needed.  I only use points of lights for stuff like candles and light bulbs in a lamp other wise emissive light panes work much better

Step 1 load your sky done and  under the display settings found under perimeters tab click cast shadows off

Step2 convert dome to to SubD by going to edit>Object.geometry> convert to SubD. This will get rid of any geometry's mesh lines that may show up during iray rendering

Step3 convert to Uber-default iray shader to make it iray compatible. . this will turn the skydome black. (don''t worry we will get to show again in the next step)

Step 4 click your skydome and then open the surface settings and scroll down to "emissive color" setting (see capture ) and click it to add your skydome mat and then change the default color from black to white . you will see the skydome  appear again.

Step 5 scroll down a few more setting bars until you see "luminance" settings &  under the surface tab  Adjust the luminance settings. Make sure to use as low as possible lumens as you can as to not wash out the skydome texture I would start around 2500 lumens or less  and go up from there. . this will give off a warm low light to the dome but it will not be enough to light the scene your building , then you can add spotlights and emissive light panes and panels as need for light source. if you have good indoor HDRi light presets you may try some of those as well

pretty easy actually .. good luck :)

click to enlarge

Capture.JPG
    1905 x 1061 - 236K
    Post edited by Ivy on
    Ivy said:

its easier to make the sky dome emissive (see capture) and keep the emissive low and add distant and spots lights as needed.  I only use points of lights for stuff like candles and light bulbs in a lamp other wise emissive light panes work much better

Step 1 load your sky done and  under the display settings found under perimeters tab click cast shadows off

Step2 convert dome to to SubD by going to edit>Object.geometry> convert to SubD. This will get rid of any geometry's mesh lines that may show up during iray rendering

Step3 convert to Uber-default iray shader to make it iray compatible. . this will turn the skydome black. (don''t worry we will get to show again in the next step)

Step 4 click your skydome and then open the surface settings and scroll down to "emissive color" setting (see capture ) and click it to add your skydome mat and then change the default color from black to white . you will see the skydome  appear again.

Step 5 scroll down a few more setting bars until you see "luminance" settings &  under the surface tab  Adjust the luminance settings. Make sure to use as low as possible lumens as you can as to not wash out the skydome texture I would start around 2500 lumens or less  and go up from there. . this will give off a warm low light to the dome but it will not be enough to light the scene your building , then you can add spotlights and emissive light panes and panels as need for light source. if you have good indoor HDRi light presets you may try some of those as well

pretty easy actually .. good luck :)

click to enlarge

Thank you for the info.   Sorry I am late, but sadly there were a few messages I just simply forgot about.  Now with "this stay at home" Covid thing, I have been looking at my older messages that I left here.   I did try this out and it worked out well, although in addition to the skydome, I needed a ground, and also a light source to simulate the sun.   It just proves to be too much extra work, whereas using an HDRI sky is much simpler.   Still this is a great idea to put some life into a specific sky. 

Geo