More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    edited April 2019

DS iray render - mix with different layers from Topaz Studio.

Droids02pic01mix01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 513K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Artini said:

DS iray render - mix with different layers from Topaz Studio.

This is really cute! The lines and background really sell this as an NPR image. I think this is a lot of fun, but there does seem to be more simplification on the robots than on the plants. I like it a little better when it's shrunk down, as it simplifies some of the remaining detail on the darker robot's body. Although the plants do get a bit muddy in the smaller size. Y'know, a lot of personality comes through here. :-)

edited April 2019

Thanks a lot, mmitchell_houston. I am in a search of converting iray renders to NPR, without the necessity to use special iray materials.

Some of Topaz Studio filters could help, but then one need to combine them in Photoshop or the Gimp.

And you are right about the image size and the overall look of it - something to consider for the future trials.

Post edited by Artini on
  • Artini said:

Thanks a lot, mmitchell_houston. I am in a search of converting iray renders to NPR, without the necessity to use special iray materials.

Some of Topaz Studio filters could help, but then one need to combine them in Photoshop or the Gimp.

And you are right about the image size and the overall look of it - something to consider for the future trials.

I played around with Topaz a lot for my last project, and it is a very powerful toolset. Finding and combining renders is definitely an opportunity for discovering something wonderful.

One thing that has helped me (even though I work mostly in black & white) is a tip I got from pro arttist Brian Haberlin: Work at 200% and then reduce it to printed size. Maybe you could give that a try? Render at your normal size, then in PS or Gimp double the image size, apply the Topaz filters, and then try cutting the image resolution in half? I' curious to see what kind of results you might get from that.

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited April 2019

VSS with a very simple two-step postwork.(Gausian Blur, Fade Gausian Blur)

For the figure I wanted to see if I could coax a less childlike look out of Hitomi.

I think I did alright.

Edit: Just noticed the thumb in the dress. Eh, I'll fix it later.

Gal.png
    296 x 1202 - 284K
    Post edited by vrba79 on
    edited April 2019

A simple DS iray render of Edward 8 combined with layers from different filters in Topaz Studio.

https://www.daz3d.com/edward-8

The render was processed at 200%, and then reduced to 100% after flattening the layers.

Edward801pic01mix01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 421K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited April 2019

... and another mix of layers from the same render.

Edward801pic01mix02.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 575K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Artini said:

A simple DS iray render of Edward 8 combined with layers from different filters in Topaz Studio.

https://www.daz3d.com/edward-8

The render was processed at 200%, and then reduced to 100% after flattening the layers.

Verrrrry cool, my friend. The various lines definitely give him an edged look (y'know, there is something about this face that reminds me of a young Mel Gibson...).

So, what did you think of the 200/100 experiment? Did it yield any results that you liked? Was it worth the effort?

Thanks a lot. Yes, this 200/100 experiment is worth to explore it even further.

It is really a good suggestion - thanks again.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    edited April 2019

Thanks for detail info . Those really very nice technique you showed in there

It seem Carara very powerful to generate multipass render, I think I'll try Carara after getting proper grip in Poser ComicBook Preview

So in your opinion how hard to learn Carara? How about importing Daz content workflow? Is possible to match camera view in both programs? So I can overlay render pass from Daz and Carara?

Meanwhile this my attempt to create fan art for my little daughter . Yeah..this image have awful color palette LOL . just trying to implement Gradient color method instead basic color fill in Pshop

hahah Fantastic! I love the colors, so cool! :D I don't think it's "awful" at all- I love it!

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    edited May 2019

Don't make me angry.  You won't like me when I'm angry.

Don't make me Angry by tkdrobert

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    tkdrobert said:

Good job! There's also The Hulk/Banner's lesser known phrase: Don't make me indifferent. you may or may not like me when I'm indifferent.

Meesa like it.

Artini said:

Meesa like it.

Thanks.  I used some different Topaz filters on this one.  The red represents rage.

• tkdrobert said:

Daaaaaang! You nailed it with this one! 99.44% perfect, my friend. This looks exactly like it could have appeared on the cover of the old Rampaging Hulk magazine from the 1970s & 80s. I'm really getting a Joe Jusko vibe from the way the brushstrokes work in the shadows. My only teeny tiny critique would be to bring more white into hiis eyes so we can see them better. Other than that, this one is a gamma-blast hit!

• Artini said:

Thanks a lot. Yes, this 200/100 experiment is worth to explore it even further.

It is really a good suggestion - thanks again.

You are very welcome! I'm going to try it more myself in my next Topaz-based project.

tkdrobert said:

Daaaaaang! You nailed it with this one! 99.44% perfect, my friend. This looks exactly like it could have appeared on the cover of the old Rampaging Hulk magazine from the 1970s & 80s. I'm really getting a Joe Jusko vibe from the way the brushstrokes work in the shadows. My only teeny tiny critique would be to bring more white into hiis eyes so we can see them better. Other than that, this one is a gamma-blast hit!

Thank you.  I've always identified with Bruce Banner and the Hulk.  I struggled with anger management issues when I was a kid (I was bullied).  Like Bruce, I learned to control it and only let it out when needed (self-defense), but never enough to really hurt anyone.  That's also why I identified with Wolverine as a teen.  He had the same problem basically.  I haven't been in a physical altercation as an adult, but I've had a few close calls.

His big brow and angry expresion cause his eyes to be shadowed out.  I think I know how I can fix that in the future.

• tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

Thank you.  I've always identified with Bruce Banner and the Hulk.  I struggled with anger management issues when I was a kid (I was bullied).  Like Bruce, I learned to control it and only let it out when needed (self-defense), but never enough to really hurt anyone.  That's also why I identified with Wolverine as a teen.  He had the same problem basically.  I haven't been in a physical altercation as an adult, but I've had a few close calls.

His big brow and angry expresion cause his eyes to be shadowed out.  I think I know how I can fix that in the future.

I think it's very easy for kids to identify with both Hulk and Wolverine at that age for those cery reasons. I can definitely relate.

I took the liberty to do a tiny tweak to the image in Photoshop to illustrate what I meant about adding just a bit more whiteness to the eyes. I did this in Photoshop in less than 5 minutes, so it's far from perfect. And I do think the lighting is not quite as realistic as yours, but if I were optioning this for a cover this is an edit I would call for because the eyes really bring us into the character (we call them "windows to the soul" for a reason).

What do you think? Better? Worse? Just different? Or hardly noticeable? 

HULK-by-TKR-EDITED-by-MM.png
    1024 x 1280 - 1M
  • tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

I think it's very easy for kids to identify with both Hulk and Wolverine at that age for those cery reasons. I can definitely relate.

I took the liberty to do a tiny tweak to the image in Photoshop to illustrate what I meant about adding just a bit more whiteness to the eyes. I did this in Photoshop in less than 5 minutes, so it's far from perfect. And I do think the lighting is not quite as realistic as yours, but if I were optioning this for a cover this is an edit I would call for because the eyes really bring us into the character (we call them "windows to the soul" for a reason).

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

Yeah it does look better.

• tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

Yeah it does look better.

Thanks!

edited April 2019

Another 200/100 experiment - iray render and 6 layers from different filters of Topaz Studio.

3D Universe characters - Jazlyn, Jason, Konrad and Jasmin.

Toons05pic01mix01.jpg
    1300 x 1080 - 332K
    Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

Another 200/100 experiment - iray render and 6 layers from different filters of Topaz Studio.

How are you combining the layers?  Are you using a blending mode?

edited May 2019

Yes, I am just using different blending modes on the different layers and trying to find the best looking combination.

I thought,  I would find some receipe, that can be reused for the other renders,

but it seems to me, that each image can benefit from the different set of layers of the filters.

Post edited by Artini on
    edited May 2019

Another 200/100 - sometimes images are getting dark...

CubeSter04pic01mix01.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 544K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • MisselthwaiteMisselthwaite Posts: 958
    Artini said:

Yes, I am just using different blending modes on the different layers and trying to find the best looking combination.

I thought,  I would find some receipe, that can be reused for the other renders,

but it seems to me, that each image can benefit from the different set of layers of the filters.

Yes, I've been playing around, and I don't think I've picked the same set of filters twice.  In my case, though, I suspect it's that for all the years of reading them, I just don't have a firm grasp of the style choices required to make a good 2D out of 3D.  It takes a rather different set of priorities, and a different sort of 'eye'.  I can't help but try to complicate things.  Hmm.  Well. I can keep playing at it, though I suspect it's just not my style.  I did manage to simplify a background... (ie: I didn't put anything back there at all!)

Ghost and TJ atmold.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 900K

Very nice, Misselthwaite.

edited May 2019

Another experiment with robots and the cubed terrain - I just like, how the shader look a like, on the terrain.

CubeSter05pic02mix01.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 446K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • MisselthwaiteMisselthwaite Posts: 958

I love how the cubes end up being bands of graduated colour... it's very soothing :-)

• Artini said:

Another really good experiment. I think you're getting somewhere. Although, to be honest, the image you posted looks a lot like standard 3Delight and not overly NPR. At least in my opinion. It looks great, but more like you had some nice shaders rather than post work to make it look painted or hand drawn. Except for the blonde on our right. She does look NPR to me. Odd how that one figure seems a little more "traditional" than the others. 

I do like your body language for the "muscle boy," btw. He conveys a nice amount of personality! Also digging your simple-but-effective background!

Looking forward to seeing more!

This discussion has been closed.