More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• jepsonpeteCMTjepsonpeteCMT Posts: 106

Been a while since I've posted anything, but I'm almost completed with the sci-fi anthology I have been working on. Here's the version of the art, both with and without the text.

This is still in the proof process: We need to add the publisher's logo, bar code and price to the bottom of the back cover.

Wow, that's awesome. It has a really nice Van Gogh style to the brush strokes. The colours work really well. It certainly looks more like a painting than a 3D render. Outstanding work!

This was created using Topaz? I think it's time I look into that

• Been a while since I've posted anything, but I'm almost completed with the sci-fi anthology I have been working on. Here's the version of the art, both with and without the text.

This is still in the proof process: We need to add the publisher's logo, bar code and price to the bottom of the back cover.

Wow, that's awesome. It has a really nice Van Gogh style to the brush strokes. The colours work really well. It certainly looks more like a painting than a 3D render. Outstanding work!

This was created using Topaz? I think it's time I look into that

Thank you very much. Yes, I used Topaz Studio and paid for the Impression package to get the painted effects. Once I had the base image set up I took it into InDesign to set up the logo (I designed the "Galaxy Prime" logo on the front cover) and the back text.

Thanks for mentioning the colors. When I started on it I quickly decided that I needed to completely abandon realism because, at this scale, space is just black with maybe some tiny dots of stars in it. While that might be made to work in a movie it just looks flat and boring as a book cover. And also thanks for making the Van Gough reference! That was something I was kinda trying to achieve (I say "kinda" because, obviously, I didn't go quite as impressionist as VG's work, but I did want that sort look to the background explosion and lights).

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,899
    edited May 2019

Very nice work, mmitchell_houston.

Post edited by Artini on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Looks spectacular @mmitchell_houston  As noted by someone else, there is no hint of 3d  At the same time, the piece has a great sense of depth/space (no pun intended).

• Looks spectacular @mmitchell_houston  As noted by someone else, there is no hint of 3d  At the same time, the piece has a great sense of depth/space (no pun intended).

Thanks! The editor is very happy with it. I'm looking forward to doing another painted cover soon.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,534
    tkdrobert said:

Rebel Scum by tkdrobert

Maybe it's the lettering, but I'm TOTALLY getting "80s-era video game box art" from this one! Love it!

Maybe a little more motion blur or faint white motion lines?

Rebel Scum Updated by tkdrobert

Rebel Scum_Updated.png
    3300 x 4125 - 8M
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

thanks @Divamakeup  - not nitpicking at all! feedback is always very welcome

wonderous work mmitchell_houston  thanks for sharing the process

edited May 2019

banging Carrara

'For those of us who have Flying Dreams'

This is a detail. I stick most of my work on FB out of interest.... kind of drums up work.... you know, emails like 'Oh I love your work I'd like you to do 25 illustrations for my book I havn't written at $1.50 each and you sign over all your rights'

Or a recent heavy metal cover band who wanted one of my illustrations for their album cover and to use on merchandising etc - all for gratis. At least they were kind enough to ask.

Mind you, I've said yes to two ministers of religion. One a priest who wanted work for The South African Catholic Weekly. T'other one who wanted for a card game I'd never heard of. 

Hedging my Heavenly bets there.

Lucky artists don't need to eat... Mind you cad red has certain nutritious heavy metal in it.

love lurking in this thread and the comics one - thanks to all who post and share their work

Post edited by Headwax on
  • banging Carrara

'For those of us who have Flying Dreams'

This is a detail. I stick most of my work on FB out of interest.... kind of drums up work.... you know, emails like 'Oh I love your work I'd like you to do 25 illustrations for my book I havn't written at $1.50 each and you sign over all your rights'

Or a recent heavy metal cover band who wanted one of my illustrations for their album cover and to use on merchandising etc - all for gratis. At least they were kind enough to ask.

Mind you, I've said yes to two ministers of religion. One a priest who wanted work for The South African Catholic Weekly. T'other one who wanted for a card game I'd never heard of. 

Hedging my Heavenly bets there.

Lucky artists don't need to eat... Mind you cad red has certain nutritious heavy metal in it.

love lurking in this thread and the comics one - thanks to all who post and share their work

Heh. I get a few requests like that, too.I particularly like the ones who haven't written the book, yet.

I did actually get one paid assignment out of posting my work online (did a logo for a pizza place, of all things). Even got about two-thirds of the money for the project (oh, he paid for the logo and sign, but project died before finishing the other artwork for interior designs). These days I mostly do work for people I know or have met through the Houston gaming community.

Nice work on the flying boy. I like the detail, and you really nailed it with the painted look. Care to post the full image?

Padawan Ahsoka

Padawan Ahsoka by tkdrobert

edited May 2019

Trying another effect - Colored Pencils

pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited May 2019

... and one more ...

pic02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited May 2019
    Artini said:

Trying another effect - Colored Pencils

That came out very nice! This definitely captures that "hand-drawn" look and feel.

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
    edited May 2019

Thanks a lot.

Two more...

pic03.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    pic04.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Artini said:

Thanks a lot.

Two more...

Beautiful sketching effect (dang, I would love to get that same effect), but to be totally honest, this one doesn't work as well as the others. I think there is a "sameness" to the color density that works counter the sense of depth that should be apparent in the scene. I think this is a case where a little more hand editing might pay off, like making the buildings closer to us a little darker (or maybe with bigger/stronger pencil strokes)? I also think these are a little "gray" in tone. Whereas in the earlier images, that grayness translated into a realistic ground haze, here it just serves to flatten things.

The composition, however, is spectacular. I love the color choices and the rust-colored sky. It seems futuristic and just a tad dystopian. I'm very impressed. In which app did you set up this scene?

edited May 2019

Luke: Rebel Pilot in black and white:

Luke: Rebel Pilot (BW) by tkdrobert

Post edited by tkdrobert on

Thanks a lot for such a detailed description, mmitchell_houston.

It was made in Unity, and I am trying to use it even more, recently - so many possibilities.

The Colorerd Pencils is a full screen post effect, so everything the camera see, is converted.

Not to mention, that it is a real time effect, so one can easily made animations with it.

The only strange thing with the effect, is that my favorite and free Screenshot Companion,

produce up-side down and mirrored images (easily to fix in external graphic editor).

edited May 2019

One more example render, with the Colored Pencils effect applied to the free Nature Starter Kit 2.

pic05.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited May 2019

... and one more example render.

pic07.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1016K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited May 2019

Another one...

pic08.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1001K
    Post edited by Artini on

I can do something other than scifi, I really can:

Call of the Sea II by tkdrobert

Nice, tkdrobert.

Artini said:

It was made in Unity, and I am trying to use it even more, recently - so many possibilities.

The Colorerd Pencils is a full screen post effect, so everything the camera see, is converted.

Not to mention, that it is a real time effect, so one can easily made animations with it.

The only strange thing with the effect, is that my favorite and free Screenshot Companion,

produce up-side down and mirrored images (easily to fix in external graphic editor).

This is a cool technique. I wonder if this effect would work alongside the post processing stack in order for you to play around with look up tables or colour grading.

Which Unity assets is this?

A free screen recorder for both videos and images is Unity Recorder (free on the asset store), you can capture images in any format at any resolution. I sometimes save images out at 8K resolution with this. It's very easy to use.

Artini said:

Another one...

It has a classical landscape feeling to it, like the hay wain. Perhaps a slight bit more contrast and I think this would be great.

This is the flooded grounds assets from Unity. It is one of my favourite free packs, it looks really professional. I'm using this for my latest tutorial that I'm creating called Make a horror survival game in Unity (screenshots below) - this comes with the post processing stack V1 already installed.

Another great assets is the MK Toon Free shaders. These are cell shading shaders to give a cartoony/comic effect along with toon outlines. Once again they are real time effects.

example1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 762K
    example2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 551K
    example3.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 485K
    example4.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 481K
    Artini said:

This is a cool technique. I wonder if this effect would work alongside the post processing stack in order for you to play around with look up tables or colour grading.

Which Unity assets is this?

A free screen recorder for both videos and images is Unity Recorder (free on the asset store), you can capture images in any format at any resolution. I sometimes save images out at 8K resolution with this. It's very easy to use.

Thanks for the tips.

It is Colored Pencils by Flockaroo.

Artini said:

Nice, tkdrobert.

Thanks Artini. I like your color pencil images.  I tried to do one with Luke but didn't like it.

• Artini said:

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I should go take another look at Unity, but I honestly can't even think about adding yet another tool to my kit – at least not until I get a little more mastery with the tools I am already using. QUESTION about the animation. Have you ever animated it? I ask because I once tried doing an animation with the Sketch render in Poser and it was a nightmare because all of the sketch lines were dancing all over the place in a very unattractive manner. I'd be curious to know if Unity could solve that problem.

edited May 2019

I have not tried the animation yet, but I will try to make one, if I find some cool idea for it.

In the meantime, another render. I think, I am addicted ;)

ResortTown01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited May 2019

Even simple scenes, looks great if using Colored Pencils post effect.

GrassFlowers01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

... and one more ...

really suberb this one - congrats :)

thanks @mmitchell_houston for your kind comment - willpost full image later ;)

This discussion has been closed.