Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12

Comments

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313
    edited April 2019

As a potential public service :) I'll mention that topazlabs dot com is having a sale (expiring in like 5 days, there's a countdown ticker on the product page) on Topaz Labs DeNoise AI which is AI-trained software designed to ...denoise... your images.  Because it works on images -as a whole- rather than performing rote filtering at just a mindless pixel-level, it can be much more powerful than most.   You can download a trial, I did, because I hoped it would be useful in cleaning up dirty and grainy and color-artifacted HDRI areas in my renders.  So many of the hdri skies are just a mess. One of the tricky parts of successfully blending renders that use photographic parts and wholly 3-d produced parts is that the photo bits have grain or camera noise etc and the 3d-pure bits don't, making a distinct visual discrepancy.   

I tested a few of my finished render images that have hdri skies or backgrounds and/or photo-based props along with the 3d-pure stuff, and DeNoise AI did a pretty good job of cleansing the grain & color artifacts etc in the photo-based areas of the renders.  The software can run as a standalone app, plug into photoshop or run as a plugin in Topaz Studio, but read the system requirements to make sure that your machine is compatible. If you have Topaz Studio running on a machine already, then DeNoise AI will also run, since the requirements are the same for those.

Posted here is a test render (of an HDRI set I'd bought here at Daz) I had done looking for the dome rotation I wanted, shown in the DeNoise AI workspace with the SPLIT-SCREEN preview showing on the LEFT SIDE THE ORIGINAL RENDER and the RIGHT SIDE THE DENOISE AI treated side.   This is how the software automatically adjusted this image, BTW, but you can use the sliders you see at right to fine tune your individual corrections as wanted.   

Additionally I tried some small  web pics with really bad jpg compression and realized that if you have to dial up corrections to fix one resistant area  it may affect another area badly, but you can always layer in photoshop or gimp and erase or mask out to keep the good and eliminate the bad areas of correction -BUT- that scenario didn't come up with any of my render test images, just crappy web pics. For the renders I tried, I got nice results in the skies and details of hdri areas in the blink of an eye, certainly better than I can get manually in photoshop after lots of time!   

Anyone interested, I urge you to read the system requirements, download the trial and give it a go yourself, so you can take advantage of the  sale price if you decide to buy.  It's still expensive at SALE price $59 USD  (normally $79) but I found it effective for fixing a problem that really bedevils me, so I'm going to buy.  
       ~Gen

[EDITED TO ADD]  PS: This can be a near-instant help for the speckles in under-cooked iray renders, too!

TOPAZ DeNoiseAI xampl042919.jpg
    1350 x 777 - 144K
    Post edited by genaris on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Thanks @genaris    Will take a look.

Will be gone all day, jury duty. Just the initial "Do we want you or not" day. :)  

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    edited April 2019
    genaris said:

As a potential public service :) I'll mention that topazlabs dot com is having a sale (expiring in like 5 days, there's a countdown ticker on the product page) on Topaz Labs DeNoise AI which is AI-trained software designed to ...denoise... your images.  Because it works on images -as a whole- rather than performing rote filtering at just a mindless pixel-level, it can be much more powerful than most.   You can download a trial, I did, because I hoped it would be useful in cleaning up dirty and grainy and color-artifacted HDRI areas in my renders.  So many of the hdri skies are just a mess. One of the tricky parts of successfully blending renders that use photographic parts and wholly 3-d produced parts is that the photo bits have grain or camera noise etc and the 3d-pure bits don't, making a distinct visual discrepancy.   

I tested a few of my finished render images that have hdri skies or backgrounds and/or photo-based props along with the 3d-pure stuff, and DeNoise AI did a pretty good job of cleansing the grain & color artifacts etc in the photo-based areas of the renders.  The software can run as a standalone app, plug into photoshop or run as a plugin in Topaz Studio, but read the system requirements to make sure that your machine is compatible. If you have Topaz Studio running on a machine already, then DeNoise AI will also run, since the requirements are the same for those.

Posted here is a test render (of an HDRI set I'd bought here at Daz) I had done looking for the dome rotation I wanted, shown in the DeNoise AI workspace with the SPLIT-SCREEN preview showing on the LEFT SIDE THE ORIGINAL RENDER and the RIGHT SIDE THE DENOISE AI treated side.   This is how the software automatically adjusted this image, BTW, but you can use the sliders you see at right to fine tune your individual corrections as wanted.   

Additionally I tried some small  web pics with really bad jpg compression and realized that if you have to dial up corrections to fix one resistant area  it may affect another area badly, but you can always layer in photoshop or gimp and erase or mask out to keep the good and eliminate the bad areas of correction -BUT- that scenario didn't come up with any of my render test images, just crappy web pics. For the renders I tried, I got nice results in the skies and details of hdri areas in the blink of an eye, certainly better than I can get manually in photoshop after lots of time!   

Anyone interested, I urge you to read the system requirements, download the trial and give it a go yourself, so you can take advantage of the  sale price if you decide to buy.  It's still expensive at SALE price $59 USD  (normally $79) but I found it effective for fixing a problem that really bedevils me, so I'm going to buy.  
       ~Gen

[EDITED TO ADD]  PS: This can be a near-instant help for the speckles in under-cooked iray renders, too!

I had bought a couple of the AI's, DeNoise and Gigapixel, recently, but hadn't thought to use it for that! Thanks for the reminder, since I was able to grab the parts of the AI bundle that I didn't have already. There was also a coupon offered that I had to choose to apply that gave me another $20 off. I love everything Topaz, except how confusing it is that they have so many versions of things: Photoshop plugin, separate Topaz program, and adjustments in Topaz Studio. At least it gives me a choice on how I want to use them. ;)

Post edited by firewarden on
  • xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited April 2019

Is anybody having VYK Dorthie for Genesis 8 Female?

I have a problem when using her body morph. It shortens her body but the eyelashes don't follow. Thank you!

VYK Dorthie eyelashes problem with body morph.jpg
    800 x 640 - 284K
    Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited April 2019

I have a problem when using her body morph. It shortens her body but the eyelashes don't follow. Thank you!

I don't have that problem. The VYK Dorthie Body morph doesn't shorten her body for me, and the eyelashes follow her eyes OK. What character did you start with when you dialed in her body morph? I just started with Genesis 8 Female.

Edited to add: I am using DS 4.11.0.335.

Post edited by barbult on
  • I started with G8F and I am using 4.10.0.123.

If you don't have that problem then it has to be linked to my comp. I recently transferred some Genesis figures, that could be the culprit (gives me a duplicate formula warning but I do have that with G3F and never had any problem).

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

I started with G8F and I am using 4.10.0.123.

If you don't have that problem then it has to be linked to my comp. I recently transferred some Genesis figures, that could be the culprit (gives me a duplicate formula warning but I do have that with G3F and never had any problem).

@Xmasros I believe a lot of people are having the duplicate formula warning come up when using G8F of late.  I put in a ticket for that problem, and other related issues, yesterday.  You may want to do the same.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited April 2019

OK, another review of older products mixed with newer products. This review is for mainly the two old products  Scottish Kilts - Prince Charlie Outfit and The Church.

a) Scottish Kilts - Prince Charlie Outfit https://www.daz3d.com/scottish-kilts-prince-charlie-outfit

• Genesis era product fitted to Genesis 8 Male. By the way since it is Genesis with the whole male/female it will autofit to Genesis 8 Female as well. Anyway to the autofit - I had poke through on one sock at the calf, one sleeve on the bicep was absolutely knotted, and the famous and familiar jagged knotted triangle in the groin area occurred. Frustratingly I can't see those problems on my FHD monitor in textured preview mode in the viewport. Since I was doing the render solely to review the products I decided to leave the problems there after I noticed them during the render phase. I've used this product before without these problems so it only occurs for some sequence of poses.
    • The textures are really nice but again as 3DL textures they do not convert to iRay well at all. I'm not a tailor but I think the jacket is worsted wool and you can see the pattern when you look at the surface up close but it looks flat in iRay. The kilt is some sort of very heavy wooven wool. I don't know what the weave used is called but it's not visible in the product. Similarly for other items. The shoes & socks hold up the best.
    • The geometry is excellent. With a lot of trial and error (or a lot less for you expert dForce folk) you can successfully similate this outfit in dForce. It'd probably work & look better if you reassigned some of the geometry polygons to new surface groups to better fine tune the similation though.
    • Comes with a partial castle with window and lights that one must convert to photometric mode for them (and crank the lumen up to 1,500,000 or even higher to get dramatic 3DL spotlight effect or sun as a point light source through a window) to work. The reason why I decided to review this product was I wanted to replicate, best I could in iRay with no post work, the lighting in the 3DL post worked original ad copy of the product (see table below) 
    • PA is Meshitup - an excellent PA that makes many authentic period clothing pieces you'll have trouble finding elsewhere for DAZ Studio. Check them out.
    •  value - good as you get all that for $17.95 full price and it hold up decently with 2019 3D technology.
    • Grade: B : Maybe I should give products 2 grades - a 3DL grade and a iRay grade, however on consideration I've used plenty of products that ere originally made only for 3DL that convert excellently for iRay. The truth is product materials that don't convert well to iRay don't do so because some materials needed to make the best quality details in 3DL renders where left out. They worked for small monitors and resolutions 10 years ago but not on big monitor with big resolutions so these material sets are exposed as lacking. Not to pick on this product exclusively, it's common place for all DAZ 3D / PA products from back then. 

b) The Church https://www.daz3d.com/the-church

• This is only a partial review of how it looks from a distance as a background object. It looks excellent! I love this model. When I can afford The Church Props https://www.daz3d.com/the-church-props I will do a fuller review inside & outside. Comes as a bundle too The Church Bundle https://www.daz3d.com/the-church-bundle
    • PA is Merlin Studios who have done many excellent sets from historical Anglo-Saxon culture so check them out.
    • This is an older 3DL product and the textures are excellent. I really like them. However, I may change my mind later in another review when I do close up & interior renders.
    • The geometry is so detailed and can be repurposed to make your own sets. There is no doubt Merlin Studios spent months on modeling this product. Truly impressive.
    • value: excellent - I think of all the products I've bought in the DAZ Store this product strikes me as the product that had the most time spend on modeling it.
    • Grade: A : truthfully it deserves an A+ but I withhelt that because it has no iRay materials (although I'm resonably confident the 3DL material will convert just fine).

c) Ryan Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 https://www.daz3d.com/ryan-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8

• The hair is one of the more excellent and realistic looking male hair styles.
    • PA is outoftouch who I think does the most realistic hair styles in the DAZ Store, no offense to other PAs and the lead is sometimes small 
    • What does frustrate me with this opaque/translucency mapped polygon sheet hair is that very often you cannot see it and how it is posed in the textured preview mode in the viewport. The PAs that make this transmapped hair should include a hair material preset that is not transmapped at all so we can easily see the full polygonal sheets to pose them in our preview viewport.
    • Standard colors black, brown, red, and blond. I'd like to see 3D tech improve such that hair can be made on a continuum of those colors and there are many blacks, browns, reds, and blond but we always get the same varient.
    • value - good - I'm sorry but I've always considered hair at the DAZ 3D site the weekest link in the product offerings. It's not very flexible, realistic, and vastly overpriced for what you get compared to other DAZ 3D products and as good as this hair is it doesn't change my opinion about that.
    • Grade: B- : for all the hair I have in my DAZ Content Library I don't think I'd give anything over a B except a couple of fibremesh eyebrow products

d) Super Natural Brows Merchant Resource for Genesis 8 and 3 Male https://www.daz3d.com/super-natural-brows-merchant-resource-for-genesis-8-and-3-male

• A well-known product in the DAZ World by now. It's easily the best way to make a unique set of eyebrows for unique characters.
    • The PA is RedzStudio well known by now for making great fibre mesh unisex and male hair.
    • This product comes with a big and generous set of presets for shape, thickness, location, and color. Truly a lot of research and effort went into making this product.
    • Only glitch is that men often have heavy brow ridges and it is darn finagelly to get the brow hair to lay on the brow ridges if they are too different than the G8M default but it is possible. My brow ridges are heavy enough that I was compared to Frankenstein in high school. LOL, don't worry, I swallowed my tears! laugh
    • value : excellent - there simply aren't many singular products that are such all-encompassingly flexibly good quality as this eyebrow product in the DAZ Store.
    • Grade: A : An easy A+ if they had been a technical way to easily line up brows with brow ridge. Not really the PA's fault but the shortcoming is there.

e) Maxx HD Mega Pack for The Brute 8 https://www.daz3d.com/maxx-hd-mega-pack-for-the-brute-8

• How do I know this is an excellent product - because I see the texture set all the time in renders in the DAZ Gallery by other DAZ customers. It is probably the most used texture set I see now. LOL, it's so popular I've stopped using it, but use it I have of course.
    • The character that was scultped - I've known when I've played football characters that size - although I think the character's actual face is more of a caricature. 
    • The water drops are good too but be warned you have to render them in a lighting situation that makes them look realistic. Many lighting situations make the water drops look awful.
    • The water wetness (as opposed to the water drops) and oil oiliness however look good and realistic in all lighting situations I've tried.
    • Same with specularity and the SSS although I restrict the SSS to the ear lobes.
    • The eye textures & materials are so good as well. However there is a shadow by brow ridge preset (see the eyebrow product above to see the trouble heavy eyeridges can cause) and a sunny set.
    • Also included are presets for skin color and to remove presets and set the character back to neutral. 
    • Truly a poduct to own if you what a way to quickly and easily create different skin tones (caucasoid, negroid, mongoloid tones all included) in different work / play envrironments (dry at office or sweaty at work or oily at the beach)
    • I used the specular on this example render and nothing else. Quick, easy, and make the character's skin look so much more realistic.
    • value: excellent
    • Grade: A : It might of gotten an A+ except for the problem I saw with rendering water drops in some lighting situations.

f)  Realistic Grass Evolution https://www.daz3d.com/realistic-grass-evolution

• If you want a 'base' product to create your own DAZ 3D version of a (huge) city park, this is the product. Typical lawn grass look with the horizon designed as a hill to hide the horizon line.
    • In it's full polygon version is brings my 7 year old 3rd gen intel CPU to a crawl but there are low polygon versions you can use as well.
    • Comes with an assortment of lawn flowers like dandelions that you can use or not.
    • Comes with it's own lighting too both iRay & 3DL.
    • Material for iRay, 3DL, & even Poser.
    • PA is Whitemagus who also has lots of excellent tree models that I have wish listed but not bought (toons seem to take my budget frequently)
    • value: Good - $15.95 full price is a good deal for such a deftly excuted blank canvas to create your scenes in. It along with Pond Builder are probably the two sets I've used most often (understand though I've not actually kept tally).
    • Grade: A : can't give an A+ for such a product as A+ should be reserved for products that deliver everything bug free "but wait, there is this great castle wall". So had this product included more lighting scenarios for example, like moon lit nights with actual moon in different phases - then it'd get an A+

g) M3D HD Hero Shapes for Michael 8 https://www.daz3d.com/m3d-hd-hero-shapes-for-michael-8

• Little secret - I don't recognize people out of context of where I typical speak to them as good as most people do so products like this make me feel gypped somewhat because I dial in the morphs but for me they look the same; it's only when I'm morphing the dial more and see the changes happening that I recognize they couldn't be the same. However, this shortcoming on my part is why I like also buying these 8-in-1 or X-in-1 morphed human characters. I'd rather morph toons and not fool with trying to morph a unique realistic human character; so a product like this is good for my interests.
    • So it comes with 8 unique character heads and they all look not really 'clothes model like' but like the name of the product says - Superhero type hard-lined masculine faces. 
    • The 8 bodies are also advertised as superhero bodies too but look like men that do physical labor for their work and at home and not like these modern steriod enhanced body builder bodies.
    • The 8 unique geometries come with HD morphs too.Since my computer is old I tend not to use these too often as they strain resources.
    • It is designed to be used with Michael 8 and they do look most typical that way but they can be used without Michael 8
    • value: good at full price excellent at the $10 sale price I got it at. I was happy to have 8 unique faces for $10 as I can get in a rut.
    • Grade: A : delivers just what the PA promises and does it correctly. No 'over and above' included though to garner an A+

h) Caleb for M4 & M5 https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/caleb-for-m4-m5/89884/

• I bought this as a generic northern male European human material set and tend to over use it because it's my favorite. For some reason in DAZ Land when PAs do these freckled characters they go overboard on both the freckles, number of freckles, and tanness of the skin. That would be the case if they spent their life in Florida and if freckles didn't virtually vanish as people get older so to my eye that style looks weird. However, this texture set does have a bit of a yellow cast to it that is 'built in' from the color temperature of the camera used to make the texture set. It could probably be adjusted easy enough but I haven't bothered.
    • As it's a typical young male it could be any range of ages from pre-pubescent child to 30+ years old. So not much in the way of wrinkles from sun exposure or veins from heavy physical labor. The pores are fine like those of a person without overactive hormones.
    • It is 3DL only. I had to convert it to iRay with the wonderful product Texture Transformer (https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/texture-transformer-version-2/120633/) and then apply an iRay set of shader settings to make it look good in iRay (although it looked fine, if somewhat perfect skinned just doing an UberIray preset conversion to it). I used the above  reviewed Maxx HD product for the iRay shader settings.
    • It comes with both painted on (adult) hair and a hairless option.
    • It comes with the Caleb morph for M4 & M5 which is actually very typical for that area of the world so kudos for an excellant job done there.
    • value: excellent - excellent because you can convert to iRay directly on the old M4 / M5 models and it still looks great.
    • Grade: A- : No A+ since it's a typical product for the time. The - was simply nit picking on my part because the yellow color temperate (about 2700K - 3500K I'd guess) of the texture set. 

i) Texture Transformer https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/texture-transformer-version-2/120633/

• This is not a product the typical DAZ Studio user wants to get involved with but after trying some other geograph type solutions & encountering trouble and frustration I decided this product would have to be put up with. It basically converts one V4/M4 or Genesis 2 or Genesis 3 texture set to another texture set. Oddly, no way to go from Genesis to another generation because that is handled by DAZ's built in V4/M4 <--> Genesis compatibility.
    • The PA is BlackSmith
    • Basically you buy the product which comes with a couple of built-in conversion plugins  - V4/M4 to G2F/G2M (or Dawn/Roxie/Dusk) both with and without anatomy
    • To go to other generations you must buy the specific plugin to go to that target generation from that source generation. No plugin exsists to go to Genesis 8 (G8F/G8M) since G3F/G3M and G8F/G8M material sets are interchangable.
    • You basically run the program, select the main preset that applies the texture to the original character, and tell the program where to save the converted texture set & preset to apply to the target generation & then wait. It works and is easy.
    • If it did have a big problem is that I find myself having to re-enter the serial number and registration information because somehow it keeps getting corrupted on my computer. As my other programs & plugins don't have such a serial number problem my guess is the PA that wrote the code is incorrectly registering the serial number.
    • value: good - At $29.95 for just the base V4/M4 to Genesis 2 functionality when it should include functionality to go to all generations at that price I feel the product is somewhat expensive. That the addons to go to other generations have a price in excess of $10 each I feel I'm being taken advantage of and nickel & dimed but ultimately I would buy the products & the addons again even at the price asked so it does have convenience and value, despite my complaints.
    • Grade: C : Product works but isn't cheap & the serial number shouldn't be getting corrupted time & time again.

j) Colin for G3M - https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/coilin-for-g3m-/123142/

• On the render above the only part of the product I used was the Colin body dialed in at 50%. Could of used one of the M3D HD Hero shapes reviewed above but sometimes it is useful to mix morphs from different PAs and see if they work well together. They do in this case. 
    • The geometry on the Colin character was sculpted quite nicely. I think it's loosely based on a famous person but I'm not sure.
    • The human material texture set included I found to be not up to par and never have used in in a render actually. I guess that means making human texture sets is more difficult than sculpting human shapes? I don't know.
    • value: average It cost $15 full price and the shapes are excellant but the textures poor. Average in this case is not equal to good or bad.
    • Grade: C- : The texture set needs improvements

Now the example render I made using these products. I did the 'godrays' thing according to a SickleYield tutorial on DeviantArt. I have to say the light sources, parameters used on the Godrays cube surface, the size of the room being rendered and the distance of the camera are very important to getting good looking GodRays like in SickleYield's example. I got there partially but not completely to my satisfaction. Could be the geometry of the area I render is not conductive to that Godrays effect, I don't know.

The 2nd image is the original post-worked 3DL render used in the product. It was this image I wanted to emulate as near as possible using only a 1-pass iRay render. I think it came out neighbood ballpark decently similar.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    genaris said:

~Gen

I had bought a couple of the AI's, DeNoise and Gigapixel, recently, but hadn't thought to use it for that! Thanks for the reminder, since I was able to grab the parts of the AI bundle that I didn't have already. There was also a coupon offered that I had to choose to apply that gave me another $20 off. I love everything Topaz, except how confusing it is that they have so many versions of things: Photoshop plugin, separate Topaz program, and adjustments in Topaz Studio. At least it gives me a choice on how I want to use them. ;)

@firewarden -  LOL, I was like that, but the other way:  I was thinking ONLY about using DeNoise AI for my renders... it was like a couple days before the obvious thought entered: gee, I could use this on the (literally) thousands of iPhone photographs i have/take, (My camera roll is 67k + images)  many of which have the low-light rashes etc.  :)
       ~Gen

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,713
    barbult said:

I don't have that problem. The VYK Dorthie Body morph doesn't shorten her body for me, and the eyelashes follow her eyes OK. What character did you start with when you dialed in her body morph? I just started with Genesis 8 Female.

Edited to add: I am using DS 4.11.0.335.

Same here. No problem even if I scale height down to 90%. DS 4.10.0.123

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited April 2019

Thanks Worlds_Edge and Taoz. Then it has to do with my system. Will look into it.

Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on
    edited April 2019

In conjunction with all of the baby renders of late, there was a lot of talk about Angel_wings' child characters over at Rendo.  I decided to pick up her character, Tiffany, which has child, pre-teen, tween and teen pre-sets, as well as a pretty hair included with the character.  I wanted to see how the character mixes with Caryn.  I decided to go ahead and show some of the character pre-sets as well as a mix with Caryn.  By the way, child poses are hard to come by and it takes a lot of fiddling to turn most adult poses into acceptable child poses (at least for me).  I found that the shy flower poses by divamakeup seem to work great for children/early teens.

Tiffany child:

Tiffany pre-teen

Tiffany tween (this is not a full render, just a "save draw") as Daz crashed:

Tiffany teen:

Finally, Tiffany with 55% Caryn (came out pretty darned cute imo):

edit to add:  Ack, just noticed the finger poke throughs on the non-rendered one.  Sorry about that.  I don't have the original or I'd re-render with that part fixed.

Tiffany child.jpg
    1754 x 2000 - 950K
    Tiffany from Rendo pre teen.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 937K
    tiffany from rendo tween - saved draw.jpg
    833 x 833 - 61K
    Tiffany from Rendo teen.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 954K
    Tiffany from Rendo w 55 percent caryn.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 902K
    Post edited by Worlds_Edge on
  • frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

World's Edge, there are child poses avaiable in the Renderosity Freebie section; look up 'BBarbs' who offers them. I don't use them, as I do my own posing, but BBarbs' poses look okay.

And your Tiffany/Caryn mix looks very cute.

Thanks @dragonfly_2004!

@worldsedge   Those characters are wonderful!!!!

@dragonfly2004   Thanks for the tip. Will look those up.

So what are you folks getting in the grab bag at 70% off?

Mine are (at the moment, going for most bang for the buck, aka higher prices)

https://www.daz3d.com/cyborg-generation-8-female

https://www.daz3d.com/dark-knight-horse-bundle

https://www.daz3d.com/nam-terror-set-for-genesis-8-female

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

Anilip2's the only high dollar item in my grab bag currently, but that could change: https://www.daz3d.com/anilip-2

@nonesuch00   Thanks for the detailed reviews. Some great points/things to consider, and very helpful.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    Novica said:

@nonesuch00   Thanks for the detailed reviews. Some great points/things to consider, and very helpful.

Thanks, I will be reviewing a couple of (3DL era) products from The Ant Farm next, so more toony styles.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I just picked up RPublishing's Adinna Hair over at Rendo, where it's currently on sale (not for much longer though). I've been thinking about this one on and off for a while until today - if anyone else has been indecisive over it, it's well worth having and certainly worth the current price. I'll see if I can get a render up later, but I thought I'd mention it now for anyone thinking about it because I think the sale on it is over in a couple of hours. Apart from all the jewellery and associated options that come with it, what sets it apart for me is that I'm finding the blonde textures look a lot more convincing than usual. I seldom find these usable straight from the box, but I'm quite happy with Adinna hair's.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268
    edited April 2019

My Picks for the 70% off:

https://www.daz3d.com/anilip-2

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-multi-dress-system-for-genesis-8-females

https://www.daz3d.com/yvoire

This one isn't on my list because I already have it but at $30 (after 70% 0ff) it is a real steal and can save you a fortune in textures: https://www.daz3d.com/filter-forge-80-professional-win

I'm still debating whether to get anything for the 50% off coupon.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
    edited May 2019
    BlueIrene said:

I just picked up RPublishing's Adinna Hair over at Rendo, 

Great pick!  I was shopping there and was pleased with the 50% sale. I had gotten the Ammy Hair,  Jenny Wild Summer Hair,  Lizanna Hair, and Janet Hair.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited May 2019

The render of RPublishing's 'Adinna' hair from Rendo, as promised. Or rather two, as the first might give the erroneous impression that I wasn't taking this entirely seriously :)

Come on Barbie, let's go party...

This figure is simply GF8, with Krista's textures, no shaping. This combo reminded me so much of the hours of fun that were to be had from arguing over dolls with my sisters when we were kids that as soon as I saw it I just couldn't leave it. I ditched Krista's fibremesh eyebrows in favour of the LIE brows for a 'painted on to the face' look (about the only time I'd ever do this) and reduced their opacity to 50% to make them look a bit less startling. Krista's skin has it's limitations, but I thought that the fibremesh brows I didn't end up using weren't bad and had quite a few colour options. Anyhow, the creature is made of parts from different sources, but it lives. FrankenBarbie.

I'm quite pleased with the blonde texture of the hair, and although the pink stones in the jewellery are supposed to be Rose Quartz but don't particularly look like it to me, I like those too.

In a bid to be taken seriously, I decided I'd show a darker version of the hair on Aisling, who is a much more refined and cultured girl who wouldn't dream of indulging in frivolity. Unless she's suddenly overcome with the need to prove that she's a riot at parties too. Oh well :)

When I was deciding whether to buy the hair, I did notice that there were no images of the back of it. I stuck a mid-brown colour on this one so that it would show the lights and shadows more easily - I didn't have time to let it render fully, but it should be a help to anyone else wondering the same thing.

Poses and expressions used are from the Fashion Editorial Poses and Expressions for Genesis 8 Female set, and the lighting is Painter's Lights, which I don't think are in the store anymore but are about the only portrait set I use.

Barbie_Girl.jpg
    800 x 800 - 260K
    Aisling.jpg
    800 x 800 - 257K
    Hair_Back.jpg
    800 x 800 - 295K
    Post edited by BlueIrene on
  • chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,765
    Novica said:

So what are you folks getting in the grab bag at 70% off?

It's a tricky one.

Do you go for things that are really expensive at full price to maximise your discount? The problem is that 30% of really expensive is still expensive. Or do you go for things which are cheap, to make them almost free?

In the end, I did both - This has been in my wishlist for ages, and won't come up at this price again: https://www.daz3d.com/mick-2-gothic-pack . But I couldn't afford much else after that. It seemed a shame to miss out on two 70% off slots though, so I bought https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-peasant-dress-textures at the other end of the price range. I like to keep a few low-price Daz O's in my wishlist to use my PC+ coupons on - that one was the cheapest.

@blueirene  I like your Barbie!  Thanks for showing the back. One thing I don't like though is the transparency at the nape of the neck. That hair is almost see-through. 

@chris2599934    I have that wishlisted, that was a good buy for you!  I didn't see it or probably would have considered that one as it is indeed pricey!

oh the humanity!  That 70% -but ONLY 3!!! :(  items!!  grab bag deal.     This was the occasion of the most violent, brutal Daz Cart Thunderdome I've had yet!   Such a HUGE SWATH of my wishlist was at play among the Grab Bag offerings, so my first, *judicious* cartload of contestants was 78 ITEMS totalling just under $1,800 bucks, and then, the carnage began.  ;)     So many things that are wonderful but that I really just don't have a need for, especially at the moment, versus things that are topical for me right now, versus things/vendors that less frequently go on sale (or at such strong discount) so it was  a g o n y of second-guessing and eliminating. Products fell...one by one... til here's what survived my Daz Cart Thunderdome:

https://www.daz3d.com/mec4d-hdri-abandoned-industrial-megapack
    https://www.daz3d.com/cc-shave-this--body-hair-for-genesis-8-males
    https://www.daz3d.com/1stb-layered-rocks-outcrop

LOL.   

~Gen

PS: Though I'm still a little teary about not making room for one of the ArchDetails volumes, especially was feeling  https://www.daz3d.com/archdetails-vol3 because it just looks so gorgeous.

@genaris   Dang it, I would have gotten the Arch Details had I seen it.  sad

@Robert Freise  - I have that 1970s motel set by 1stB you just got in the grab bag, and am quite happy with it. It really captures the look of a certain type of place (I bought it to duplicate an old, small motel in a town near me for a scene) and is made of separate bldgs etc and is therefore pretty useful and versatile. For my scene's needs, it looked fine in iray, and with a little set-dressing with other props, people etc, you can really work it!  Of course, nowadays those flat textured grass parts don't usually work well enough, so it's easy enough to throw down some grass patches from the many great grass and plant products.  Hopefully you'll be as happy with it.....
       ~Gen

@Novica - yes, that is the 1 product out of all 75 "fallen" contestants in my Cart-Dome that I'm still angsting about; it isn't the visual setting for anything I'd normally do, but it is just *so beautiful* and looks (like all their products) so impressive and well-done I realize that I should have just "listened" to my inner voice and bought it instead of being too pragmatic.  So, of course now I will totally be waiting for any sort of discount on it.... ;)
        ~Gen

Novica said:

@blueirene  I like your Barbie!  Thanks for showing the back. One thing I don't like though is the transparency at the nape of the neck. That hair is almost see-through.

I felt the same way about that transparency. I'm not sure whether seeing it would have put me off buying or not as it's something that can be fixed fairly easily in postwork and I render the back of hair so rarely anyway, but I can see why there was no rush to display it in the promo images. Fairly typically, what's not shown says as much there as what is. I hope all is well with your mum and with gorgeous-boy Stetson :)

This discussion has been closed.