Very Useful Daz Products IMHO (Converters, Lights, Utilities, Morphs, VRAM Optimizers, Shaders etc.)

Comments

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,104

Time is a pretty important factor, though. Most people do not have this luxury, like me. I might have an hour or two TOPS to play around with Daz Studio and that is being very generous. There are many times when I have no time at all. And it also must be pointed out that basically every single thing you can buy in this store for Daz Studio is something you can make yourself. So the argument falls a little flat for this reason. Daz is an asset store, and when you think about it, all asset stores are shortcuts in some way, whether it be Unreal, Unity, or stock photos. Why can't you hop on a plane, travel to France, and take your own photo of the Eiffel Tower? That is being extreme, but all asset stores exist for this reason.

IMO, the entire purpose of Daz Studio is to save people time, it is designed to make 3D modeling easier, it is designed to bring 3D modeling to as many people as possible. In a lot of ways, Daz Studio should be like "easy mode" for 3D. You can buy or create a preset for every aspect of the program. Not just models, but the shaders, the render settings, the lights, the poses, even camera angles are included with a variety of environments. This lowers the bar of entry for people.

The choice, of course, is still up to every user as to how far they want to go with assets. Do they want to buy a preset or do they want to make it themselves? I am more likely to buy things that save me time, time is money. (Well, not really, I don't sell anything for Daz, yet.)

For me, a number of presets helped me learn Studio better. Seeing different shaders at work helped me better understand how the material settings can work. That lead me to get more comfortable with creating my own settings later. I really believe this helped me more than just playing with the settings on my own. So from the perspective, I do not regret buying that kind of product. There is a LOT of stuff to learn in Daz Studio, so to expect all users to just dive in and learn everything on their own is a bit much, especially if time is a constraint.

I absolutely aggree ^^

As for the list itself, I would add OOT Hair Shaders to the list, though they are not available here. These are pretty much my go to hair colors, with some minor adjustments since they were made way back for 4.8. Like the black is too "gray" in the light, but easily adjusted to work correctly. The Backlight Hair Shaders available here are pretty nice, too. I combined them with OOT and the result was very nice. I use the OOT shaders even on brand new hairs, because honestly some hairs are seriously lacking in the texture/shader department.

Is this shaders pack better than the ColorWerks one? It looks pretty good to me!

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    TGFan4 said:
    dawnblade said:

Nice list! To see and rotate the HDRI in Texture Shaded mode, check out "IBL Master" by Parris. There is a short video on the product page.

https://www.daz3d.com/ibl-master-for-daz-studio

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/215066/ibl-master-image-based-lighting-control-for-both-renderers-a-new-ibl-for-3delight-commercial/p1

Thank you for your suggestion! ^^
    I use Iray!

sapat said:

I think I have every converter made by RSSY. Haven't had a chance to sit down and use them yet, just grabbed them in good sales.  Only thing I worry about are shoes and boots. Pretty much all my male clothing from M4, Genesis and G2M have boots, and the females from V4 on up have boots, heels, or sandals. Has anyone who has these converters had any specific issues?  My 30 days aren't up, but am so busy right now I'm afriad I won't get to them.

Thx

Footwear and accessories is where those converters lack the most.
    There's a "use feet pose if available" check, and you can do some tries with a specific window if you enable it (I didn't).

I've successfully converted most of my G3M/F footwear, but I'm afraid that the older a product is, and the harder it becomes to convert it!

Bummer. Guess I'll give a few a go before I lose my 30 days. About everything has footwear from 4th gen to now, so that would suck. Have to look for the specifice window, and I assume 'use feet pose if available' means if the product has a pose for the shoes, it would benefit you to use it. 
    Thx so much for the info.

sapat said:

Bummer. Guess I'll give a few a go before I lose my 30 days. About everything has footwear from 4th gen to now, so that would suck. Have to look for the specifice window, and I assume 'use feet pose if available' means if the product has a pose for the shoes, it would benefit you to use it. 
    Thx so much for the info.

Yes! You're welcome! :D

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,414
    edited April 2019

Bookmarked with thanks! My new favorite is the RSSY 3Delight to Iray Converter

It seems to do a great job on old sets and props. Sometimes you have to intervene if a surface is named 'default' or some such, but it's really metal. I have other 3Delight to Iray converters for skin.

Edit to add Hinky's Hair Salon shaders. It does some fun things too.

Post edited by SlimerJSpud on

Bookmarked with thanks! My new favorite is the RSSY 3Delight to Iray Converter

It seems to do a great job on old sets and props. Sometimes you have to intervene if a surface is named 'default' or some such, but it's really metal. I have other 3Delight to Iray converters for skin.

Edit to add Hinky's Hair Salon shaders. It does some fun things too.

Thanks, those look like nice fantasy hair shaders! :)

• HylasHylas Posts: 3,064
    edited April 2019

Here's some input for the beginner who's trying to keep their DAZ spending low:
    (Needless to say, it's all just my subjective opinion.)

Converters:

- I think auto-fit is good enough for starting out, especially when combined with Fit Control (which I absolutely do recommend).

- You can auto-fit M4/V4 items by first auto-fitting to Genesis, then from Genesis to G8.

- That being said, I would actually recommend M4/V4 clones for G8, because it generally achieves better results than the above method, and there's a ton of free M4/V4 items out there.

- Hair that's longer than shoulder length shouldn't be auto-fitted at all and just parented manually.

- Convert heeled G3 shoes to G8 with this free method.

- Convert M4/V4/Genesis/G2 poses to G3 with this freebie, and G3 poses to G8 with these two freebies.

Hair and Skin:

- It's worth playing around with the material settings and/or manipulate maps in your graphics editor (such as GIMP or Photoshop) to save on products like skin builder and color werks. See also here.

Morphs:

- Agree that DAZ Original Morphs are essential, and I like the 200+ Head and Face Morphs a lot. I personally don't find Shape Shift necessary.

- I do quite like SWOLE for G8. Obviously only if you're into that kind of thing.

Others:

- Since you single out glasses, you can get a lovely collection of free glasses here and here.

Might have more to add later, but I think i should go back to work now... *:)

Post edited by Hylas on
    Hylas said:

Here's some input for the beginner who's trying to keep their DAZ spending low:
    (Needless to say, it's all just my subjective opinion.)

Converters:

- I think auto-fit is good enough for starting out, especially when combined with Fit Control (which I absolutely do recommend).

- You can auto-fit M4/V4 items by first auto-fitting to Genesis, then from Genesis to G8.

- That being said, I would actually recommend M4/V4 clones for G8, because it generally achieves better results than the above method, and there's a ton of free M4/V4 items out there.

- Hair that's longer than shoulder length shouldn't be auto-fitted at all and just parented manually.

- Convert heeled G3 shoes to G8 with this free method.

- Convert M4/V4/Genesis/G2 poses to G3 with this freebie, and G3 poses to G8 with these two freebies.

Hair and Skin:

- It's worth playing around with the material settings and/or manipulate maps in your graphics editor (such as GIMP or Photoshop) to save on products like skin builder and color werks. See also here.

Morphs:

- Agree that DAZ Original Morphs are essential, and I like the 200+ Head and Face Morphs a lot. I personally don't find Shape Shift necessary.

- I do quite like SWOLE for G8. Obviously only if you're into that kind of thing.

Others:

- Since you single out glasses, you can get a lovely collection of free glasses here and here.

Might have more to add later, but I think i should go back to work now... *:)

Thank you for your tips! :D
    These are nice ways to keep the cost really low while you're learning Daz, and I guess you're the first one to describe them, while others had just hinted at them.

Yes, auto-fit is good for starting out! And Fit Control has a lot of features. Thank you for linking that SY guide!
    The only problem with this method is that it requires a lot more time than just having everything ready to go in your "Smart Content". So, it's great if you don't do many renders or if you're learning Daz, but in my situation, for example, I'm glad I've organized my library in another way! ^^
    Yes, there are a lot of freebies out there, and it's very important to use them at the start, although they don't usually have the quality of newer stuff, and you should at least change all the shaders. Again, that takes time. I've done that for some unique old outfits (like the Game of Thrones ones, that are not available for newer generation), but if I had to do that every time I used something, I'd probably get bored with Daz pretty soon xD

I don't think I'd be able to replicate Skin Builder 8 stuff with Photoshop obtaining the same quality, and I've been using Photoshop since I was 13! I just do that for custom tattoos nowadays.

Nothing is necessary if you're just trying Daz out, but if you're creating many characters each month for your story you probably need some nice ways to differentiate one from the other.

Thanks for the eyeglasses freebie! I already have that G8 set, and I like its quality and simplicity of use! :D

• There is a lot of great information here and thanks to TGFan4 for getting this conversation started.  There seems to be two types of learners here: one that just jumps right in and starts no matter their level & one that needs a bit of guidance.  Both ways are effective but almost always having some guidance is better than none.  Everyone will work differently for sure and some will not use the products mention or like others have said, probably need to understand the basics first before diving into more advanced techniques.

I wish something like this existed when I first got into Poser.  My ADHD sometimes gets in the way which makes it a bit more challenging to just jump right in to something that seems very overwhelming at first.  I've been doing this stuff as either an enthusiast, filmmaker, book cover designer and such since 2004 and I'm still learning and sometimes, it can still be intimidating. 

While this post may not be for everyone, it definitely provides users with some sort of a starting point...something that the community was not to excited about doing when I first got into this.

I know there are tons of tutorials out there for the basics of Daz (I refer to them from time to time), but it would be great if there was a "basics" tutorial dealing with auto-fit, shaders, morphs, clothing coversion etc in just Daz Studio without the use of other resources or plugins.  I think there are some.

Anyway, I'm bookmarking this for future reference just to see where the conversation leads and for future reference.  Thanks again.

• edited April 2019

"....it would be great if there was a "basics" tutorial dealing with auto-fit, shaders, morphs, clothing coversion etc in just Daz Studio without the use of other resources or plugins.  I think there are some."

Well said Derry, I too am a filmmaker and have just gotten started in Daz Studio but difficult to find simple step by step basics. Most of the ones I have found seem to assume we know all of the abbreviations and acronyms flying around.

Great thread by the way TGFan4 :)

Post edited by malcolmkarpeta_40f9af0b00 on

There is a lot of great information here and thanks to TGFan4 for getting this conversation started.  There seems to be two types of learners here: one that just jumps right in and starts no matter their level & one that needs a bit of guidance.  Both ways are effective but almost always having some guidance is better than none.  Everyone will work differently for sure and some will not use the products mention or like others have said, probably need to understand the basics first before diving into more advanced techniques.

I wish something like this existed when I first got into Poser.  My ADHD sometimes gets in the way which makes it a bit more challenging to just jump right in to something that seems very overwhelming at first.  I've been doing this stuff as either an enthusiast, filmmaker, book cover designer and such since 2004 and I'm still learning and sometimes, it can still be intimidating. 

While this post may not be for everyone, it definitely provides users with some sort of a starting point...something that the community was not to excited about doing when I first got into this.

I know there are tons of tutorials out there for the basics of Daz (I refer to them from time to time), but it would be great if there was a "basics" tutorial dealing with auto-fit, shaders, morphs, clothing coversion etc in just Daz Studio without the use of other resources or plugins.  I think there are some.

Anyway, I'm bookmarking this for future reference just to see where the conversation leads and for future reference.  Thanks again.

You're welcome Derry :D

Well, I can imagine...I have a light OCD, and my problem is that I'm always there trying to organize stuff xD

I guess I belong to the first category: I've basically published everything I've ever rendered. In the end that's one more way to learn, and you don't have to know everything to do something!

"....it would be great if there was a "basics" tutorial dealing with auto-fit, shaders, morphs, clothing coversion etc in just Daz Studio without the use of other resources or plugins.  I think there are some."

Well said Derry, I too am a filmmaker and have just gotten started in Daz Studio but difficult to find simple step by step basics. Most of the ones I have found seem to assume we know all of the abbreviations and acronyms flying around.

Great thread by the way TGFan4 :)

Thank you! :D

I've made a dozen of YouTube tutorials that are really (I hope) basic and easy. I'd like to make more, and I probably will, but honestly that requires a little bit of time and I don't have much of that to spare nowadays!

• "I've made a dozen of YouTube tutorials that are really (I hope) basic and easy. I'd like to make more, and I probably will, but honestly that requires a little bit of time and I don't have much of that to spare nowadays!"

Great! I will check them out :)

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

Wow, the free glasses are amazing! Even if they are for poser, they're easy enough to use in DS. Thanks for the link.

I've just bought Pose Architect...wow, such a cool product!! :O

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,263
    edited May 2019

Products I'd reccommend.

Not because they are essentially to help with morphing, texturing, posing, creating shaders, or in some way making us more efficient or achieve faster renders.

I wish I'd started thinking sooner, and this is despite having experience of 3D rendering before Studio; started sooner with what?

What makes a render more believable. Not real, but believable. Doesn't matter if realism is the goal, or story telling using a more stylised or toon medium.

A scene needs details - or bits and pieces; not necessarily lots of it, but subtle signs of what we see in the real world; dust in the corner; a piece or two of paper on the floor; spilt sugar, or sugar lumps; ash in the ashtray, especially the smaller particles. Smudged, dirty or dusty glass... And thousands of other effects. Some are easier to do than others.

https://www.daz3d.com/street-trash-collection

https://www.daz3d.com/smoking-props

https://www.daz3d.com/glassfx--iray-shaders

Are some recent examples.

You'll find yourselves kit-bashing; a leaf from one set; a cigarette butt from another, and maybe you'll use: https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascatterpro to scatter some of those items about.

Often less is more, but not enough and especially none is very much worse.

Post edited by nicstt on
    nicstt said:

Products I'd reccommend.

Not because they are essentially to help with morphing, texturing, posing, creating shaders, or in some way making us more efficient or achieve faster renders.

I wish I'd started thinking sooner, and this is despite having experience of 3D rendering before Studio; started sooner with what?

What makes a render more believable. Not real, but believable. Doesn't matter if realism is the goal, or story telling using a more stylised or toon medium.

A scene needs details - or bits and pieces; not necessarily lots of it, but subtle signs of what we see in the real world; dust in the corner; a piece or two of paper on the floor; spilt sugar, or sugar lumps; ash in the ashtray, especially the smaller particles. Smudged, dirty or dusty glass... And thousands of other effects. Some are easier to do than others.

https://www.daz3d.com/street-trash-collection

https://www.daz3d.com/smoking-props

https://www.daz3d.com/glassfx--iray-shaders

Are some recent examples.

You'll find yourselves kit-bashing; a leaf from one set; a cigarette butt from another, and maybe you'll use: https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascatterpro to scatter some of those items about.

Often less is more, but not enough and especially none is very much worse.

Thanks for sharing! :D

I'm not at that stage yet, actually the cleaner the scene is, the better it is (I often have to delete assets...) because I have very little available VRAM! Dammit, those GPUs cost a lot xD
    OT: In Italy we don't really have a "used" market, and the hardware prices are around 20% more expensive than usual. Let's hope that the prices will drop with AMD GPUs release.

But yes, beautiful scenes have a lot of details! One of my favorite artists is SirTancrede, and I think he does what you're saying: https://www.deviantart.com/sirtancrede/art/A-Country-Tale-001-724302379

PS: I've tried out those other face morphs you guys have suggested, and I'm going to add them to my list! The more beautiful morphs I have, the more the characters I create look realistic and have a little bit of variety!

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,561

What a great collection of resources, but I think this suggestion is 20 bucks wasted:

TGFan4 said:
    Hair Converters (11.37+11.37$) (G3F to G8F; G3M to G8M)

Using G3 hairs on G8 and vice versa is really easy, and doesn't require any converter products at all. Just change the scene identification on the hair as described by Sickleyield here: https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Tutorial-Convert-Clothing-G3-to-G8-G8-to-G3-686682065 .

Converters are well worth getting in general, though. There's so much good content out there for older figures - even M4 and V4 - and you can pick it up really cheap too.

Which brings me to the other point I'd make to any Daz newbies - don't buy anything full price! You should be able to get anything at a discount of at least 50% if you're willing to wait for it.

edited May 2019

What a great collection of resources, but I think this suggestion is 20 bucks wasted:

TGFan4 said:
    Hair Converters (11.37+11.37$) (G3F to G8F; G3M to G8M)

Using G3 hairs on G8 and vice versa is really easy, and doesn't require any converter products at all. Just change the scene identification on the hair as described by Sickleyield here: https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Tutorial-Convert-Clothing-G3-to-G8-G8-to-G3-686682065 .

Converters are well worth getting in general, though. There's so much good content out there for older figures - even M4 and V4 - and you can pick it up really cheap too.

Which brings me to the other point I'd make to any Daz newbies - don't buy anything full price! You should be able to get anything at a discount of at least 50% if you're willing to wait for it.

Thank you! :D

Indeed the hair converter are the less useful one amongst them, and I don't even have the G3M version.
    That's mainly because you just have to apply hair once. But it's different for clothes I guess.

A very important factor in why I use converters is metadata!
    I like to select my character, and to scroll every single shirt/pants etc. I have in Smart Content to see what fits it best in that particular situation!
    I definitely don't recall every item I have in my library.
    It would take an ethernity to do that manually, and that time is worth more than those bucks to me, also because they will also save time in the future!

Post edited by LenioTG on
  • rrwardrrward Posts: 458
    TGFan4 said:

Thank you! I've been looking for basic rings and studs forever! These are exactly what I need.

Between many of the items on your list (and additions of others) are going to cost me a lotof money.

rrward said:
    TGFan4 said:

Thank you! I've been looking for basic rings and studs forever! These are exactly what I need.

Between many of the items on your list (and additions of others) are going to cost me a lotof money.

You're welcome! :D

Sadly this is a very expensive hobby :'(
    At least now I try to buy stuff I'll really use and that could improve my render every time!

• EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 227

Shape Rigger Plus, in cases where you want to make sure the rigging of your tranferred morphs or custom morphs is solid;
    https://www.daz3d.com/shape-rigger-plus

Look At my Hair, you want to have fur on your character? Or maybe a custom fur pattern just for them? LAMH might be a little buggy or cumbersome, but it is worth it.

https://www.daz3d.com/look-at-my-hair

Shape Rigger Plus, in cases where you want to make sure the rigging of your tranferred morphs or custom morphs is solid;

Look At my Hair, you want to have fur on your character? Or maybe a custom fur pattern just for them? LAMH might be a little buggy or cumbersome, but it is worth it.

I've heard about Look At My Hair, but I don't need it!

What does Shape Rigger Plus do?

• EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 227
    TGFan4 said:

Essentially, if you transfer morphs from another figure or do yourcustom morphs, the product will streamline a very tiring process of rigging and saving the morph. Not to mention, you can rig MULTIPLE morphs on it at once.

• rrwardrrward Posts: 458
    TGFan4 said:

Oh, I know. I've been at this since 2006. Just migrated from V3/V4 on Poser to Genesis 8 on Studio in the last few months. O_O

TGFan4 said:

Essentially, if you transfer morphs from another figure or do yourcustom morphs, the product will streamline a very tiring process of rigging and saving the morph. Not to mention, you can rig MULTIPLE morphs on it at once.

This is interesting!

One thing I'm interested in is to use the hidden "G8F" morph on G8M and vice-versa, but when I do strange things happen to the hands etc.
    Is this what you're talking about? And so, can that product fix it? Is it easy to use?

rrward said:
    TGFan4 said:

Oh, I know. I've been at this since 2006. Just migrated from V3/V4 on Poser to Genesis 8 on Studio in the last few months. O_O

I think it was worth it, technology seems to have made HUGE steps since V4!!!
    I hope that progress will continue, even if it will mean we won't be able to use our current products anymore, because that way we'll have even better-looking renders!! :D

• marblemarble Posts: 6,022
    Hylas said:

Morphs:

I bought Xenic101's Musculature HD morphs for G3F&M and ended up buying for G8F too even though I only have a few G8F characters. I just find the morphs essential. Dial in just a little and it gives the body that bit of definition that makes a world of difference. When animating, seeing individual muscles flex during movement also brings the character to life.

marble said:
    Hylas said:

Morphs:

I bought Xenic101's Musculature HD morphs for G3F&M and ended up buying for G8F too even though I only have a few G8F characters. I just find the morphs essential. Dial in just a little and it gives the body that bit of definition that makes a world of difference. When animating, seeing individual muscles flex during movement also brings the character to life.

I hadn't thought about that animation possibility!

My PC is weak even for static images, I could never do Iray animations nowadays! And I don't like 3Delight.

• marblemarble Posts: 6,022
    edited May 2019
    TGFan4 said:
    marble said:
    Hylas said:

Morphs:

My PC is weak even for static images, I could never do Iray animations nowadays! And I don't like 3Delight.

My animations are very short and very basic. I tend to delete all background objects and limit the render to two characters and a couple of props lit entirely by a studio HDRI  which has a gradient background colour instead of the scenery I might have in a still shot. That way I can get per-frame renders down to between 2 and 3 minutes (1600x1280) with my GTX 1070. Another trick is to use the denoiser in the 4.11 beta which I avoid for stills but use if necessary for animations.

Post edited by marble on
    marble said:
    TGFan4 said:

My animations are very short and very basic. I tend to delete all background objects and limit the render to two characters and a couple of props lit entirely by a studio HDRI  which has a gradient background colour instead of the scenery I might have in a still shot. That way I can get per-frame renders down to between 2 and 3 minutes (1600x1280) with my GTX 1070. Another trick is to use the denoiser in the 4.11 beta which I avoid for stills but use if necessary for animations.

3 minutes per frame is not that bad!

The external Intel denoiser works even better and it doesn't slow down your renders. You could render each frame instead of the complete animation, then batch denoise them, and join them with Premiere/After Effects. You could also add a background that way.
    Also, if you rendered at 2160p you wouldn't have much longer render times, but you could oversample and reduce some noise that way too.

The 1070 has 8Gb of VRAM, my GPU just has 3Gb, and I use some of that for my display!

edited May 2019

I've added CC Shave This, 100 Must Have Expressions and Shape Rigger Plus to the list! :D

(I'd like to continuously update this list, with your suggestions too, to make it better and better)

Post edited by LenioTG on
  • SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,414

Does LAMH work in Iray? I can't seem to find a mention of that on the store page, or at the furrythings link..