[Released] Altern8 - Skin Shader System for Genesis 8 [Commercial]

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

So cool!  Thanks for the tips!  I'll have a look.  I have a few of the official 8 female figures! 

• SamanthieSamanthie Posts: 308

I am having a problem using the makeup options. I click on the turn off diffuse but the effect is still white face, lips. I need a little step by step to get this to work. Thanks.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    Samanthie said:

I am having a problem using the makeup options. I click on the turn off diffuse but the effect is still white face, lips. I need a little step by step to get this to work. Thanks.

I don't understand what issue you're having. What kind of makeup are you using - Diffuse makeup, makeup on the Face Texture, or Layered Image Editor makeup?

As the Tip files say: Apply the makeup options First and then apply the Altern8 "No Maps" settings. 

Samanthie said:

I don't understand what issue you're having. What kind of makeup are you using - Diffuse makeup, makeup on the Face Texture, or Layered Image Editor makeup?

As the Tip files say: Apply the makeup options First and then apply the Altern8 "No Maps" settings. 

Oh I see, well I didn't know to load the makeup options missed that tip part. Thanks for your reply. I'm enjoying the other settings and the readme file has helped quite a bit. 

Samanthie said:
    Samanthie said:

Oh I see, well I didn't know to load the makeup options missed that tip part. Thanks for your reply. I'm enjoying the other settings and the readme file has helped quite a bit. 

I'm glad that you're enjoying the product. Let me know if encounter any other issues with it and we'll see if we can figure it out. :)

Samanthie said:
    Samanthie said:

I'm glad that you're enjoying the product. Let me know if encounter any other issues with it and we'll see if we can figure it out. :)

Thank you Divamkeup will do! :)

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    edited May 2018

Just out curiosity, why no Michael8 Presets?  I just decided to load him up and went looking for the Altern8 settings.... not there.  Any recommendations?

EDIT:  Victoria8 No Maps looks pretty good.  M8 skin on G8M with Lyoness's Spicy Fusion for 200 Plus "Zak" morph

MJ_Zak Blonde.png
    972 x 1006 - 988K
    Post edited by sandmanmax on
    edited May 2018

Just out curiosity, why no Michael8 Presets?  I just decided to load him up and went looking for the Altern8 settings.... not there.  Any recommendations?

EDIT:  Victoria8 No Maps looks pretty good.  M8 skin on G8M with Lyoness's Spicy Fusion for 200 Plus "Zak" morph

Altern8 Skin Shader System for Genesis 8 supports 10 of the Daz Original Official "8" figures - I couldn't include Michael because I didn't have him at the time. I now have him and a couple more of the figures that I want to create presets for. I plan on doing an Add-On product that will include quite a bit of stuff but among it will be some presets to support at least ten more of the Genesis 8 Official Daz characters. The plan, so far, is to include: Michael, Owen, Ollie, Edie, Edward, Teen Josie, Stephanie, Penny, Mika, Floyd and maybe a couple other figures that I'm not allowed to name.

Until then, here are a couple of formulas for Michael 8 that you might try.

The first one is:

• Monique 8 - No Maps
    • Transmitted Measurement Distance .25
    • SSS Tint L

The second one is:

• Victoria 8 - No Maps
    • Transmitted Measurement Distance .25
    • SSS Tint A
    • Arm mats copy and pasted into the fingernail slot
    • Leg mats copy and pasted into the toenail slot

If the second skin tone is too "cool" for your taste you can try using SSS Tint H or SSS Tint L instead.

Both rendered with Render Settings B and HDR B.

I hope that helps. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

Thank you for the support!

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    Ati said:

Well this Altern8 set isn't really designed for the G2 skins, so you're probably going to need to do some tweaking to the settings to get decent results. But you CAN use Altern8 with geographs. Just make sure to have the character and the geographs selected in the scene tab and then make sure the skin parts of both the character and the geographs are selected in the surfaces tab:

Then you can use the "gen" shaders to apply Altern8 settings so the character and the geographs.

Genesis 2 materials are set up quite differently than most G3 and G8 characters though, so what you're going to want to do with G2 skin is to manually apply the base texture map to the skin's  "Translucency Color" zones in the surfaces tab.

Here I've used Cayman Studios' Legacy UVs for Genesis 8 to apply Liquid Rust's Carissa skin textures to RareStone's Minami figure. Here's a before and after Altern8 (the first one being the "out of the box" Carissa skin settings and the second is the Carissa skin textures after applying the Altern8 settings and adding her base skin texture maps to the "Translucency Color" slots.

But again because of how G2 skin is set up you have to manually add the skin texture maps to the "Translucency Color" slots on both the character and geographs if you want to get the best look with the Altern8 settings and G2 skin.

This method works great on V4 skins as well :) pics to come

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451

The eyes are not from V4 but the rest of the skin is :) it’s Liquid Rust’s  Kittie

486E7042-157C-4803-8D44-324261702852.jpeg
    800 x 1000 - 166K
  • AllegraAllegra Posts: 405

Thank you everyone for the great feedback! I'm super excited about this product and hope you guys will enjoy it as much as I do! :) (Am I allowed to say that about my own product? lol)

Divamakeup, what an amazing product, finally got it and managed to play a bit and can't recommend it highly enough to anyone sitting on the fence, so a big thank you for creating this great product.

dkgoose said:

The eyes are not from V4 but the rest of the skin is :) it’s Liquid Rust’s  Kittie

Oh nice! I love those pink cheeks! smiley

Some of those V4 skins are not too bad and just need a little tweaking, I think. :) 

Allegra said:

Thank you everyone for the great feedback! I'm super excited about this product and hope you guys will enjoy it as much as I do! :) (Am I allowed to say that about my own product? lol)

Divamakeup, what an amazing product, finally got it and managed to play a bit and can't recommend it highly enough to anyone sitting on the fence, so a big thank you for creating this great product.

Awesome! I'm so glad you picked it up and that you like it! Thank you for the sweet comment - you put a big smile on my face! 

• Picking it up now.  Mised it when it first came out.  Looking forward to using Altern8.

Picking it up now.  Mised it when it first came out.  Looking forward to using Altern8.

Awesome! Thank you for picking it up! :) I Hope you enjoy it. 

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

Awesome product. I use it all the time. You will not regret it.

• Green Eyes

Green Eyes.png
    2200 x 1467 - 6M
    edited September 2018
    peteVault said:

Green Eyes

Looks good! :) I love the veins and details! Nicely done. 

One thing I recommend is copy and paste the face surfaces into the lip surface slot - so that the settings match up. ;) 

Post edited by 3Diva on

I have a question as to what caused this.  I had applied your Dark No Maps shader to my Gino skins as he's a tanned Italian character I am working on. I  was quite happy with the skin over all (Although I was happier with my eye settings (would be nice to have just skin apply settings without affecting entire figure)) but there was one element I could NOT figure out what caused this.  There was a noticeable glow around the rims of his eyes.  At first I thought there must be some transmission or emission set to on... nope.  Then I looked at the eye moisture and then the eye socket material settings, nope... everything I tried did not solve the glowy around the eye's issue.  Looked too strange to leave it go since he's going to be for sale product I'll be releasing.  So rebuilt the materials and am pleased with the results but still wanted to mention this in your official thread in case you have a solution I might try ....

Thanks! 

edited November 2018
    RAMWolff said:

I have a question as to what caused this.  I had applied your Dark No Maps shader to my Gino skins as he's a tanned Italian character I am working on. I  was quite happy with the skin over all (Although I was happier with my eye settings (would be nice to have just skin apply settings without affecting entire figure)) but there was one element I could NOT figure out what caused this.  There was a noticeable glow around the rims of his eyes.  At first I thought there must be some transmission or emission set to on... nope.  Then I looked at the eye moisture and then the eye socket material settings, nope... everything I tried did not solve the glowy around the eye's issue.  Looked too strange to leave it go since he's going to be for sale product I'll be releasing.  So rebuilt the materials and am pleased with the results but still wanted to mention this in your official thread in case you have a solution I might try ....

Thanks! 

I'm not sure what "Dark No Maps" shader you're talking about? I don't think I have any shaders called that in Altern8 (unless my memory is failing me, which is possible lol). 

I'm not sure what glow around the eyes might be, I've not experienced that but if you mean like a "silver ring" or "white ring", that's a known issue with eye settings and mats between G8 and G3: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2949481/#Comment_2949481

If it's that white ring thing you're seeing what should get rid of it is going to the Surfaces Tab, selecting the Sclera, and turning Glossy Reflectivity and Glossy Layered Weight to zero.

If that's not the issue or didn't fix it, please feel free to let me know what character you're using along with the name of the settings preset you used and I'll see if I can replicate the issue. Also please feel free to post a render or two so I can see what you mean by the glow around the rims of the eyes. :)

BTW, if you prefer eye settings from a different preset or different materials setting you can go to the Surfaces Tab, hold down Control and Select the eye surfaces, then double click on the materials settings with the eye mats you'd rather use - a window will pop up, change the "Surfaces" to "Selected" and you can either choose to keep the maps or change the maps by selecting either "Images: Replace" or "Images: Ignore". 

Post edited by 3Diva on

Sorry hon. When I wrote that out I was sick from the smoke and a head cold.  It was the Darius 8 No Maps set up! 

RAMWolff said:

Sorry hon. When I wrote that out I was sick from the smoke and a head cold.  It was the Darius 8 No Maps set up! 

I've not seen that issue with that preset on the characters I tried it on. Did you try the above suggestion? :)

No, not as of yet.  I need to try that out when I get a minute!  Still finalizing things for Gino so busy with real life job and that.  Thanks for the help!  :-) 

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

I used the Olympia 8 "no-maps" shader on Mousso's Harper for G8F. Thanks for providing the "Getting White Face?" tip and material that turns off diffuse overlay, as that is what happened when I applied Olympia's shader. I would have used your render settings but I wanted to see how Render Studio 2's render settings and lighting turned out.

There was a lot of grain initially (probably due to the dramatic lighting and this character is HD), so I had to increase max samples to 30,000. Took a little over 4 hours with a 1080TI but I think it turned out well!

dawnblade said:

I used the Olympia 8 "no-maps" shader on Mousso's Harper for G8F. Thanks for providing the "Getting White Face?" tip and material that turns off diffuse overlay, as that is what happened when I applied Olympia's shader. I would have used your render settings but I wanted to see how Render Studio 2's render settings and lighting turned out.

There was a lot of grain initially (probably due to the dramatic lighting and this character is HD), so I had to increase max samples to 30,000. Took a little over 4 hours with a 1080TI but I think it turned out well!

That's lovely! Thank you for sharing your render - I love seeing what you guys do with my products! It makes me happy to see the renders! :)

• evacynevacyn Posts: 958

@Divamakeup - I have a quick question about Altern8 with Legacy UVs.  So far, I've had no problems with using the different No Map Altern8 profiles on my G2 UVs with Legacy UVs by using the appropriate Altern8 Gens on the Geografts. However, the one profile I use most - Karyssa - doesn't include gens. Can you suggest another way to use the Karyssa profile with Legacy UVs?

Thanks!

edited April 2019
    evacyn said:

@Divamakeup - I have a quick question about Altern8 with Legacy UVs.  So far, I've had no problems with using the different No Map Altern8 profiles on my G2 UVs with Legacy UVs by using the appropriate Altern8 Gens on the Geografts. However, the one profile I use most - Karyssa - doesn't include gens. Can you suggest another way to use the Karyssa profile with Legacy UVs?

Thanks!

Hi, evacyn! :D I answered via PM, but thought I wanted to address that here as well, in case anyone else has the same question. 

I had originally included a Gens Shader with the Karyssa 8 No Maps settings but they removed it and told me that Karyssa was meant to be an underage character and had no gens. I didn't realize that when I had originally made it, but it makes sense -so I don't blame them for taking it out. lol So what you can do if you want a Shader that has the Karyssa 8 No Maps setting (since I know a lot of people use the shaders for things other than gens) is to make a Shader Preset (it's pretty easy to make).

The easiest way is to apply the Karyssa 8 No Maps settings onto a figure, then select the figure's torso in the Surfaces Tab and go to File >> Save As >> Shader Preset. When the Shader Preset Save Options box pops up click on the upper right corner of that pop-up box and choose "Uncheck" >> "Uncheck All Images". Then hit Accept and that saves those settings as a shader. Now that's the Easy way but it won't load the Altern8 "Duel Lobe Specular Reflectivity Map" that the shader needs to look right, so before using your new shader with the Karyssa 8 settings you'll have to apply one of the other shaders first (as those will load the Duel Lobe map) and then apply your new Karyssa 8 shader to change the settings to the Karyssa 8 No Maps settings.

The harder way (but it allows you to skip the step of applying one of the other shaders first) is to create the new shader in a way that Loads the Duel Lobe Specular Reflectivity Map with the shader. 

That's a bit harder, but worth it if you plan on using the shader a lot. Apply the Karyssa 8 No Maps settings to a figure, then Select the figure's Torso and go to File >> Save As >> Shader Preset. Then when the pop-up window pops up do the same as before with clicking on the upper right little box and choosing "Uncheck" >> "Uncheck All Images" but this time we need an additional step to make sure that the Duel Lobe maps are included. So After choosing Uncheck >> Uncheck All Images, click on the little arrow next to "Torso" to expand it. Then click the arrow next to "Base" and expand that, then expand "Duel Lobe Specular", and expand "Duel Lobe Specular Reflectivity" and put a check mark next to "Image".

Then hit Accept. That should save the Karyssa 8 No Maps settings as a shader And load the Duel Lobe Specular Reflectivity Map with it. 

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. :)

Capture Duel Lobe Shader.JPG
    319 x 471 - 33K
    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I'm playing with this for the first time tonight, and I'm really confused - I think something is going wrong, or I'm doing something wrong. 

I have my G8F selected in the Scene tab, and I have her skin selected in the shaders tab. I dbl click "Altern8 - Alexandra 8 - No Maps.duf" (I'm not using Alexandra 8, I'm using Zelara....), and I get a message asking if I want to save my scene before closing it, and then I get a message saying "could not apply as the file could not be found"...yet I'm looking at the duf file!

I use Content Library, not Connect/Smart Content. What on earth am I doing wrong??

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    jakiblue said:

I'm playing with this for the first time tonight, and I'm really confused - I think something is going wrong, or I'm doing something wrong. 

I have my G8F selected in the Scene tab, and I have her skin selected in the shaders tab. I dbl click "Altern8 - Alexandra 8 - No Maps.duf" (I'm not using Alexandra 8, I'm using Zelara....), and I get a message asking if I want to save my scene before closing it, and then I get a message saying "could not apply as the file could not be found"...yet I'm looking at the duf file!

I use Content Library, not Connect/Smart Content. What on earth am I doing wrong??

If you use the base G8F instead of the Zelara character, do you still get an error? I don't have Zelara, but I've just tested on several G8F alien/fantasy characters, and I'm not getting an error using "Alexandra 8 - No Maps".

Instead of selecting the Skin of G8F in the Surfaces tab, try selecting G8F in Surfaces. I'm accessing Altern8 from Content Library/Shader Presets (not sure if there are multiple ways to use it). Sorry I can't be of more help.