Genesis 8 Baby in Carrara - first impressions

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
edited April 2019 in Carrara Discussion

Greetings, I had some extra cash courtesy of our challenges (thank you) and bought a stack of the Genesis 8 baby stuff the other day.

A few questions came up in Philemeno's thread on HD - I didn't want to clog it up.

So here is a cursory review. Bare in mind I have only just started using Genesis 1, and had my first pkay with Genesis 2 the othher day.

All renders straight out of box.

Step 1, I grabbed Mysty's g8 loader from the other place - thank you Mysty you rock.

The three toes on the left foot suck and go awol on morphing g8. On examination the problem seems to be the toe nail edges where they meet the skin. 

Changing the bone weighting doesn't do anything.

I note that they are hooked up to eg 'big toe 2' etc. But if I take this bone out and try to reinstate it I cann't choose it again - ie there is no eg 'Big Toe 2' in my list of available bones.

I kind of fixed it in the modelling room by changing the position of the verticies - worked alsmot for the two smaller toes but didn't help the big toe.

I had a brief play with unprotecting the mesh and welcing the wayward toe veritices to the flesh of the big toe - could be the way to fix it if you have patience - might casue other problems?

There also seems to be a problem on the left hand fingers with a wayward verticie or two - but that could be me.

The hand controls don't work. eg Clasp doesnt do anything when I have a hands selected.

Changing the materials by clicking a material preset in smart content makes Carrara Crash or otherwise tells me that g8 isnt available - could be because of Mysty's proxy?????????

None of the bump or normal maps came in with the original preset.

I bought Summertime clothes as well as other stuff seemed to be dforce. I changed them into blended weights in Daz Stuio but no joy in Carrara - I left the bloomers floating in space to undeline this.

Renders aren't too bad - I had to tweak the bump maps quite high from memory. I put white around the baby's hip to keep everything safe as far as tos

Kids face looks better in render because I think the Daz promos use a 38 mill camera and not a 100 mill camera - not sure of their thinking there.

Would I buy it? Juries out - 

From my brief play with genesis 1 the auto fitting function for old clothes is a big selling point .

For G8, not sure how that works .... not really getting a choice - it's not click and fit then it seems to be a waste of time using the g8 baby - maybe not.

Any thoughts from others welcome. :)

Question: what's the best way to get old clothes fit on Gensisis 8???

Feel free to share renders from eg hiveire baby or genesis 1 baby morphs available at CG (Wendy I couldn't figure out where to put the files to make that morph work)

these poses are ones I bought for g8

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

that Genesis 1 baby morph file I copied it to the Characters folder open up DS and load G1 apply that file that I copied and then saved as a subset..

then it opens in Carrara smiley

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

thanks Stezza, I'll have a look - obliged ;)  

I better ask - the Characters folder is to be found in a particular spot? I seemed to have lots everywhere!

My Daz3d Library/People/Genesis/Characters

yes smiley

thanks Stezza :) cheers!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

I don't have the G8 baby, but I will be watching with interest.  It is something I might get in some future sale.  The related thread in the Commons forum is quite negative, but I'm not always able to separate general negativity from genuine analysis.  Usually, there are a few tips of interest to Carrara users in these product-dedicated threads, even if the test renders are for Iray.  Here is a link to the Commons thread dedicated to G8 Baby.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/321841/genesis-8-babies/p1

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524
    edited April 2019

G8M Mervin with some clothes fitted, will do a tute tomorrow.

Mervin 1.png
    2269 x 1037 - 478K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

baby for the male have any flyaway verts?

I’m surprised no one has done a render of baby8 getting thrown out with the bath Water! devil

I don't have the G8 baby, but I will be watching with interest.  It is something I might get in some future sale.  The related thread in the Commons forum is quite negative, but I'm not always able to separate general negativity from genuine analysis.  Usually, there are a few tips of interest to Carrara users in these product-dedicated threads, even if the test renders are for Iray.  Here is a link to the Commons thread dedicated to G8 Baby.

edited April 2019

thanks Ted, I was looking all over for a thread but didn't see that one - hah love the reviews :) didn't realise there were so many other morphs available

G8M Mervin with some clothes fitted, will do a tute tomorrow.

thanks Bunyiop02 that would be kind!!

Mystarra said:

baby for the male have any flyaway verts?

Mystarra the male child seems fine! See raw render - different skins on arms to torso - lighting by caustics to get the reflection from the floor 

I’m surprised no one has done a render of baby8 getting thrown out with the bath Water! devil

ha ha give them time!! 

boyc3.png
    2000 x 1500 - 663K

ah if the click this one over on the right in my product list then the texture loads okay - no bump loads of course

you need to change the alpha on the cornea to zero percent to see the iris

clickthisoneunderproductlist.jpg
    2000 x 1055 - 711K
    boytw0.png
    2000 x 1500 - 485K
    edited April 2019

Adding clothes to G8 in Carrara Part-1

1. Open DAZ Studio and load Misty's G8 Preset
    2. Locate Character that you want to use and load
    3. As Misty's Preset is grey I load a material onto the Character
    4. Locate the clothing you want to use and load them onto the Character
    5. Select one of the clothing items, then Unparent the item
    6. Next we need to convert the clothing item to Blended Weight
    7. Click on Edit
    8. Click on Figure
    9. Click on Rigging
    10. Click on Convert TriAx/General Weight to Blended Weight

G8 clothes 1.png
    2429 x 1040 - 477K
    G8 clothes 2.png
    2427 x 1037 - 599K
    G8 clothes 3.png
    2425 x 1039 - 584K
    G8 clothes 4.png
    2427 x 1039 - 581K
    G8 clothes 5.png
    2425 x 1037 - 591K
    edited April 2019

Adding clothes to G8 in Carrara Part-2

11. Now to save the clothing item, click on File
    12. Click on Save As
    13. Click on Scene Subset
    14. I name it as G8 CharacterName ClothingName bw (for Blended Weight)
    15. Click on Save, repeat process for each clothing item
    16. While I am at it, I save the material file as well, click on G8 Carrara Preset BETA
    17. Click on File
    18. Click on Save As
    19. Click on Material(s) Preset
    20. I name it G8 CharacterName identifier
    21. Click on Save

G8 clothes 6.png
    2429 x 1038 - 601K
    G8 clothes 7.png
    2429 x 1037 - 436K
    G8 clothes 8.png
    2427 x 1039 - 601K
    G8 clothes 9.png
    2431 x 1039 - 446K
    edited April 2019

Adding clothes to G8 in Carrara Part-3

22. Open Carrara and load Misty's Preset
    23. Click on Actor
    24. Click on Parameters tab
    25. Locate the Character morph/s
    26. Dial in the amount of morph used in DAZ Studio
    27. Go to Browser
    28. Click on Content tab
    29. Locate your saved Scene Subsets folder (or location you saved your clothing items to)
    30. Locate the clothing item and drag onto Genesis 8
    31. While at it, locate where you saved your Character material is
    32. Drag Character Material file onto Genesis 8
    33. Next up to fix black eyes, click on your Browser Shader tab, then click on Basic Shaders
    34. Locate your Transperancy shader and drag/drop it on Eye Moisture & Cornea in your Shading tab
    35. Apply pose file. Happy rendering !

G8 clothes 10.png
    2262 x 1044 - 505K
    G8 clothes 11.png
    3840 x 1080 - 982K
    G8 clothes 12.png
    3840 x 1080 - 1M
    G8 clothes 13.png
    2635 x 1039 - 456K
    G8 clothes 14.png
    2797 x 1035 - 593K

As regards using older clothes on Genesis 8 (ie Kids 4 on Genesis 8 baby) there are several ways of doing that.

There are clothing converers that work in DAZ Studio:- https://www.daz3d.com/rssy-clothing-converter-from-genesis-to-genesis-8-female

https://www.daz3d.com/rssy-clothing-converter-from-michael-4-to-genesis-8-male

https://www.daz3d.com/rssy-clothing-converter-from-victoria-4-to-genesis-8-female

Then there is a method of creating clones which gets a bit involved.

neat tut @Bunyip02_Carrara yes

for those that want to do a dummy spit render I just modelled a creepy dummy!

find it in the Wacky Models thread 

edited April 2019

The Kreepy little dear..

The G1 morph from ShareCG with some adjustments...

Kreepy Kid the little dear.png
    800 x 600 - 259K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited April 2019

Finally I could fit some pants to him.

Doc6.png
    1000 x 1300 - 401K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
    edited April 2019

Hey Bunip02 thanks so much for taking the time to do that - really apprecioated !!!

The Kreepy little dear..

ha ha yes, very creepy Kreepy :) have you seen the cross morphs between Dorby (?>) and Tobin - on the commons forum - quite effective!!

thanks for the dummy too - i wonder if dummy spit is purely Oz?

Vyusur said:

yes much more respectable - strange creature he is - what method did you  use for the fit ???

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

They call it a pacifier in the US

so they have pacifier spits lol laugh

Hey Bunip02 thanks so much for taking the time to do that - really apprecioated !!!

The Kreepy little dear..

ha ha yes, very creepy Kreepy :) have you seen the cross morphs between Dorby (?>) and Tobin - on the commons forum - quite effective!!

thanks for the dummy too - i wonder if dummy spit is purely Oz?

Vyusur said:

yes much more respectable - strange creature he is - what method did you  use for the fit ???

I changed his height to 100% in DS and saved this as a separate morph.

thanks Veronika :)

You are welclome!smiley