Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.11.0.335! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,905

Yeah, I saw that and had the Nvidia driver updated to the newest and had that problem which made me do the research on the forums and saw the post about rolling it back...

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,155

Which version did you try? I've read of people having problems with the most recent, but was told 418.81 was OK for  most people.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Can anyone who has installed the new (April 2019) beta comment on any, if any, improvements to performance? I'm tempted to stay with the October 2018 release for now unless there are major updates to dForce, for example.

It was 425.31. When I opened up the Nvidia app thing on my computer today to see what driver I had, it just automatically updated it to 425.31. I freaked out for a moment because I know new drivers cause problems, but then saw the forum and was like okay, it should be good, but then it didn't show up when I started a render. It showed up in the advanced tab and all, but not when I clicked render. Maybe tonight when I get home from work I'll try reinstalling it and see if it works then, I hope it does cause I was excited to try this denoiser! 

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,155
    MelanieL said:

Which version did you try? I've read of people having problems with the most recent, but was told 418.81 was OK for  most people.

Sorry, I meant to say 419.17 - but I have not tried it myself (I'm still running the preious Beta and a rather old Nvidea driver)

Ah, I'll give that one a try too, I'm willing to give anything a whirl. Thanks for trying to help!
  • MelanieL said:
    MelanieL said:

Sorry, I meant to say 419.17 - but I have not tried it myself (I'm still running the preious Beta and a rather old Nvidea driver)

Ok, so it's not just me with Nvidia drivers- i thought i was special in having the errors and was forced back to 419.17.

• TomDowdTomDowd Posts: 197

Using 335 and I seem to have lost all of my key bindings, even the default ones (CTRL-C, CTRL-X, etc.) Looking at Workspace --> Customize, no Shortcuts are listed.

Just me?

TD

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited April 2019
    Kyan001 said:
    L'Adair said:
    Paradigm said:

I'm having issues with the following version of the beta and these NVidia drivers:

DS: 4.11.0.335
    Nvidia: 425.31

Card: ASUS ROG 2080ti STRIX

Problem:

• Will usually only render on the card on the first render attempt of the DS.exe session.
      • After a run it will automatically choose the CPU as if the GPU isn't available.
      • Have tried various cominations of settings including post denoiser, the samplers, optix acceleration and inlcuding the CPU or not in the selection
      • Same scene used on every test
      • Restarting DS gets a successful GPU render most of the time
        • Had a no GPU render as #1 once and have not been able to replicate

I recommend trying an older version of the driver. There may be some sort of conflict with your hardware when using the latest version. If you try the previous version and get the same result, I'd recommend installing the 418.81 version and see if that one has the issue.

I'm having problems too but with 1080TI series.  

If someone knows a fix, it doesn't care if Optix acceleration is on or off, it will always switch to CPU after rendering 3\4 frames in Image Series\Movie render mode.

This sounds like a memory issue to me.

One of the recommendations you'll see throughout the forums is to save a scene, close DS, open DS, reload the scene, and then render. That's to make sure the memory on the video card is as cleaned out as possible. If you are rendering several frames in a row, whether manually or through an automated process, it makes sense that the video card memory can fill up. When that happens, the render will always drop off the GPU and go to CPU Only. I doubt if the driver makes any difference.

TomDowd said:

Using 335 and I seem to have lost all of my key bindings, even the default ones (CTRL-C, CTRL-X, etc.) Looking at Workspace --> Customize, no Shortcuts are listed.

Just me?

TD

My shortcut keys are working as expected, including those I've created myself, and they show up in the F3 dialog.

Post edited by L'Adair on
    marble said:

Can anyone who has installed the new (April 2019) beta comment on any, if any, improvements to performance? I'm tempted to stay with the October 2018 release for now unless there are major updates to dForce, for example.

I can't speak to what those improvements are, but the version of dForce in the last two previously released betas is 1.1.0.82, and the version of dForce in the 335 beta is 1.1.0.189. I haven't tried it yet, (been in the middle of other stuff,) but I've seen comments that dForce is more stable now.

I think you should give 335 a try. I recommend you first save the files for the beta you're currently using, if you haven't already, (I've got a library of old version files that goes back to 4.8.something!) Then go ahead and install the current beta. If it gives you trouble and isn't worth it to you, it's easy enough to roll back, if you have those files safely stored somewhere.

L'Adair said:
    My shortcut keys are working as expected, including those I've created myself, and they show up in the F3 dialog.

F3 wasn't even working, but I opened it manually again and hit Defaults on the bottom and now everything is back.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TD

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,589
    L'Adair said:
    Kyan001 said:
    L'Adair said:
    Paradigm said:

I'm having issues with the following version of the beta and these NVidia drivers:

Problem:

• Will usually only render on the card on the first render attempt of the DS.exe session.
      • After a run it will automatically choose the CPU as if the GPU isn't available.
      • Have tried various cominations of settings including post denoiser, the samplers, optix acceleration and inlcuding the CPU or not in the selection

I recommend trying an older version of the driver. There may be some sort of conflict with your hardware when using the latest version. If you try the previous version and get the same result, I'd recommend installing the 418.81 version and see if that one has the issue.

If someone knows a fix, it doesn't care if Optix acceleration is on or off, it will always switch to CPU after rendering 3\4 frames in Image Series\Movie render mode.

One of the recommendations you'll see throughout the forums is to save a scene, close DS, open DS, reload the scene, and then render. That's to make sure the memory on the video card is as cleaned out as possible. If you are rendering several frames in a row, whether manually or through an automated process, it makes sense that the video card memory can fill up. When that happens, the render will always drop off the GPU and go to CPU Only. I doubt if the driver makes any difference.

...sounds like a serious bug there.  A real hit on the workflow when you are doing test rendering and have to shut down the scene and programme between each test. 

Maybe for now we need a "Purge VRAM" utility script (like old "Purge Memory" one) while Daz and Nvidia get together to figure this out once and for all. 

• DanHoytDanHoyt Posts: 14
    Are you using the 2 1080ti's in your rig description? I ask to see if there may be some difference with using an RTX card or not. I am using an RTX 2080 alone for my testing so far. I notice faster renders in indoors outdoors and hdri only across the board. Indoors I use only spotlighting and whatever lights the scene has setup already. I will circle back around and try these scenes with my P5000 by itself and try to compare soon. I have not used 4.10 in quite awhile but will try the scenes in that at some point as well. But for me it seems faster than the prior Beta (.236).

Can anyone else using an RTX GPU and 418.81+ nVidia driver with the April 2019 4.11 Beta confirm that GPU rendering still works? Also, are the RT cores supported yet?

DanHoyt said:

Can anyone else using an RTX GPU and 418.81+ nVidia driver with the April 2019 4.11 Beta confirm that GPU rendering still works? Also, are the RT cores supported yet?

I am running an RTX 2080ti and a GTX 1070ti with the current 335 beta and driver 425.1 and it runs fine. Can't comment really on speed since what I have been working on is particularly light-weight, but it is screaming through it. If the RT cores are doing anything yet, though, at this point it is probably the denoiser.

kyoto kid said:
    L'Adair said:
    Kyan001 said:
    L'Adair said:
    Paradigm said:

Problem:

...sounds like a serious bug there.  A real hit on the workflow when you are doing test rendering and have to shut down the scene and programme between each test. 

Maybe for now we need a "Purge VRAM" utility script (like old "Purge Memory" one) while Daz and Nvidia get together to figure this out once and for all. 

Seems like memory leaks have plagued software for ages. DS and Iray are on a very long list!
    laugh

• Hello!
    How to return to version 4-11-0-236?
    I noticed in the 4-11-0-335  version a lot of noise when turning on "Post denoiser"

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120
    marble said:

DanHoyt said:
    Are you using the 2 1080ti's in your rig description? I ask to see if there may be some difference with using an RTX card or not. I am using an RTX 2080 alone for my testing so far. I notice faster renders in indoors outdoors and hdri only across the board. Indoors I use only spotlighting and whatever lights the scene has setup already. I will circle back around and try these scenes with my P5000 by itself and try to compare soon. I have not used 4.10 in quite awhile but will try the scenes in that at some point as well. But for me it seems faster than the prior Beta (.236).

Can also confirm that 4.11.0.335 with 425.31 drivers is fully operational on both a Pascal GTX 1050 based laptop and a Turing Titan RTX based homebrew desktop. As to rendering performance differences, I'm still in the process of benchmarking but so far most things seem to be measurably faster (for both the Turing and Pascal cards) with the new Beta over the previous one (check the current benchmarking thread for exact numbers once I'm finished benchmarking.) And no - still no RTCore support as of yet (Iray version included with the newest Beta is still a pre-RTX/OptiX 6.0 build.)

Whoa, okay it's working! I went on the Nvidia site and redownloaded 425.31 just now and my 1080ti is blowing through this. The denoiser is amazing! I've been doing a render on a shot at 900 iterations to get all the noise out, within a hundred iterations it looks exactly like what I was doing in 4.10! I'm so excited right now at how much quicker animation is going to go in Iray!!! I wonder why it didn't work earlier today, I know I had 425 installed...ah well, computers, right? 

L'Adair said:
    kyoto kid said:
    L'Adair said:
    Kyan001 said:
    L'Adair said:
    Paradigm said:

Problem:

Seems like memory leaks have plagued software for ages. DS and Iray are on a very long list!
    laugh

...Yeah I remember issues with memory leaks since I started with this eleven years ago and how they often resulted in crashes during the render process even in 3DL. 

Sounds like we really need that script I suggested. 

...my newest GPUs (Titan-X and 760 Ti [4 GB]) are Maxwell and they do specify the 425.31 release as the latest version.  

• DanHoyt said:

It doesn't work at all for me. I'm trying to see if I can roll back to the October 2018 beta.

Blue Gene said:
    DanHoyt said:

It doesn't work at all for me. I'm trying to see if I can roll back to the October 2018 beta.

As far as I know, the only way to rollback to an earlier version, Release or Beta, is to save a copy of the files before updating to the next version.

But before you get too frustrated, (I assume you have an RTX card and driver V418.81 due to the post you quoted,) have you tried updating the driver? V418.81 is the oldest driver the beta will work with, but you might get everything working with a newer version. The current version is 425.31, so there are several newer versions you can try.

• Mart1n71Mart1n71 Posts: 126
    areg5 said:

Here are the renders side by side.  k38 was done in 4.10, k38a was done with Beta.  It's a little different, but I don't know if the added time makes it worth it.

Maybe it's just me but k38a appears to have an extra, or brighter light source causing brighter reflections on the hair, floor, and the glasses on the table in the background. Could this attribute to longer render times? either through changed settings or the way the newer version of iray processes the light source?

• DanHoytDanHoyt Posts: 14
    edited April 2019
    TomDowd said:
    DanHoyt said:

I am running an RTX 2080ti and a GTX 1070ti with the current 335 beta and driver 425.1 and it runs fine. Can't comment really on speed since what I have been working on is particularly light-weight, but it is screaming through it. If the RT cores are doing anything yet, though, at this point it is probably the denoiser.

RayDAnt said:
    Can also confirm that 4.11.0.335 with 425.31 drivers is fully operational on both a Pascal GTX 1050 based laptop and a Turing Titan RTX based homebrew desktop. As to rendering performance differences, I'm still in the process of benchmarking but so far most things seem to be measurably faster (for both the Turing and Pascal cards) with the new Beta over the previous one (check the current benchmarking thread for exact numbers once I'm finished benchmarking.) And no - still no RTCore support as of yet (Iray version included with the newest Beta is still a pre-RTX/OptiX 6.0 build.)

Thanks for your feedback. I upgraded to 4.11.0.335 with nVidia 425.31 driver and my RTX 2080 is working fine. A bit faster on most renders, but not earth-shattering -- except for a large-format (1800 x 2700) render with fog effects (57 vs 70 minutes).

Post edited by DanHoyt on

...hmm, Just saved a Pose Preset, and when I went to find it in "Presets" in the Content pane the "Poses" folder wasn't there.   The path according to where it saved to is...  

D:/Daz3D/Studio/Library/Presets/Poses

...which is where scenes and scene subsets usually go.  When I saved custom presets before, they always appeared remained in the content tab. 

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    areg5 said:

Basically I go for quality, so I keep the percentage at 95%

The whole point to get the new beta is the denoiser since it shifts rendering times to a new level. If you aim for quality you will probably get results comparable to the old 4.10 with just around 500 iterations and the denoiser on.

That said I didn't personally "updated" to the new beta yet. Since I mainly use blender for rendering anyway.

• kyoto kid said:

...hmm, Just saved a Pose Preset, and when I went to find it in "Presets" in the Content pane the "Poses" folder wasn't there.   The path according to where it saved to is...  

D:/Daz3D/Studio/Library/Presets/Poses

...which is where scenes and scene subsets usually go.  When I saved custom presets before, they always appeared remained in the content tab. 

Is it available in the Content Library under Daz Studio Formats>Library>Presets>Poses?

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    Padone said:
    areg5 said:

Basically I go for quality, so I keep the percentage at 95%

The whole point to get the new beta is the denoiser since it shifts rendering times to a new level. If you aim for quality you will probably get results comparable to the old 4.10 with just around 500 iterations and the denoiser on.

That said I didn't personally "updated" to the new beta yet. Since I mainly use blender for rendering anyway.

That alone really isn't worth it, if it causes other issues, as you can run the nVidia or Intel denoiser after render. (see thread in Commons)..or pause render, save render, denoise, continue render... if you need more cooking time.  At this point the latest Beta results in all black renders for me.  I've given up on it.

• boisselazonboisselazon Posts: 458

Long time no see here. I can't find what is the improvments of 4.11 over (my) 4.10 release. Help needed please.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,169

Long time no see here. I can't find what is the improvments of 4.11 over (my) 4.10 release. Help needed please.

Read the first post in this thread. It summarizes the changes.

This discussion has been closed.