Quality concerns

Hi I've been using Daz and Daz content for at least 10 years now. But what concerns me is the level of quality in the shop. Even the Pro Bundle content is not getting to a decent level of quality anymore. I used to buy assets but not anymore. I really hope you guys at Daz will at least consider a rating system to get the bad stuff out of the shop which is geting out of control as well. I understand that the more items the more revenu but I guess that the focus is not the pro market but the hobbiests and masses.

Comments

• andrushuk1andrushuk1 Posts: 342

I don't think there is a problem with quality but more of a concern about diversity in what is allowed on the site.

• The problem with quality, is that while standard to a certain degree, it's also subjective. In other words, what a quality product to you may differ from what I think is a quality product.

For example, let's take vendors who make hair (I'll stick with Daz vendors, so they can chime in).  You have AprilYSH, Goldtassel, SWAM, OutofTouch, Samsil (I could go on, but you get the point). I'll only shop certain vendors because I think thir hair products are higher quality (available morphs, color options, fits, easy of use, etc).  While other may have these same things, if I put a hair piece on a figure, render it, and I see that after the render the hair appears thin, I personally don't consider that a quality product.

Environments are the same thing.  For example, I think we can mostly agree that Stonemason puts out high quality products. However, if there is something I am specifically looking for, and he does not have that as an option, I look elsewhere.  If i look at the product, and think it looks cartoonish, or not real enough, I don't consider that real quality, for what I want.  You may think it's great for your projects though.

The problem with rating systems is that it's very subjective. I remember I bought a product based on 100+ ratings.  I used that product only once, because I didn't think the quality was there.

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,116

I wouldn't mind a rating system, also if it has a lot of limits (just look at Steam for example)! ^^

Most of all, reviews would be useful! Sometimes it's not easy to understand what a product does/include. The simplest way today is to use the Daz Deals extension and look for references in the forum, but it would be cool to have review on the product page!

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

You can at least follow your favorite/trusted vendors whose products you consider qualifying...

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

Hi I've been using Daz and Daz content for at least 10 years now. But what concerns me is the level of quality in the shop. Even the Pro Bundle content is not getting to a decent level of quality anymore. I used to buy assets but not anymore. I really hope you guys at Daz will at least consider a rating system to get the bad stuff out of the shop which is geting out of control as well. I understand that the more items the more revenu but I guess that the focus is not the pro market but the hobbiests and masses.

rating systems are just opinion and tend to be fan service more than anything else IMO. As pointed to earlier, what one considers bad quality, another could be completely thrilled with it. DAZ has a money back option, so you never get stuck with anything you feel is not up to the quality you would expect.

honestly, if you have an item you feel is lacking in quality post about it in a non critical, polite way in the forums. You may get a solution, or if enoiugh users feel the same way maybe a fix will come (maybe you will even see that maybe it is just you having the issue)

I don't think there is a problem with quality but more of a concern about diversity in what is allowed on the site.

Got any examples as I feel the diversity or types of products here are pretty diverse. Luckily there are other stores for more niche items like Renderotica

when i say diversity i mean as in, i see there are not any seedy parts of town   ie  old liqour stores, pawn shops, jewelry store i could probably name another dozen diff types of stores alone and not just interiors but exteriors as well along with props/furnishings more gory stuff for those NOT so weak of stomik lol--get my drift ?  not enough diversity

• If you have bought something you feel is below standard, in my view you should return it and ask for a refund, and politely tell them specifically why it is not up to the mark in your opinion.  This is the only direct way to communicate that you feel quality is lacking, along with just buying less from the store which I would imagine is a natural consequence of feeling that the quality is not there.

Reviews open to public posting are just too susceptible to manipulation and falsification.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited April 2019

Pro bundles have never indicated a standard of quality. They're just a larger selection of random products you can purchase alongside the figure you're obtaining. They're a marketing department decision, nothing to do with the quality of the character model.

Post edited by Xenomorphine on
  • Pro bundles have never indicated a standard of quality. They're just a larger selection of random products you can purchase alongside the figure you're obtaining. They're a marketing department decision, nothing to do with the quality of the character model.

You're right. Additionally, pro bundles are designed to try and appeal to as wide a band of users as possible without having to worry about buying the character, clothes, hair, poses, scenes/background. I guarantee there are things in some bundles I will never download or use. However, before I buy a bundle, I look to see how much of what is offered is something I will use.  For example, if I only want 2-3 items, I may buy individually. But if a good portion of the stuff I see a use for, I'll buy the bundle.

I will say, I think certain products (like cars, trucks, vans) should have a minimum requirement.  Doors open/close, wheels turn, hood opens, if a pickup, the tailgate can be opened or closed. Other vehicles should have the same, like ships, the rudder should be able to turn (if a modern ship), for planes, the main parts should move (tail fin, wing flaps, etc). It's a fine line, I get that, but certain things a user SHOULD expect to happen or work.

In terms of diversity, I think it's a fine line.  The merchant has to recover their costs of making the product (ie will the item sell enough units to make it profitable). For example, how many folks would buy a pawn shop, or a liquor store, or a convenience store? Would the demand be enough to make it worth while for the vendor to create. This is where an artist like Stonemason would be great.  He has his Urban Sprawk series.  He did a fantastic job of allowing users to use his buildings as individual props in other scenes.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

I will say, I think certain products (like cars, trucks, vans) should have a minimum requirement.  Doors open/close, wheels turn, hood opens, if a pickup, the tailgate can be opened or closed. Other vehicles should have the same, like ships, the rudder should be able to turn (if a modern ship), for planes, the main parts should move (tail fin, wing flaps, etc). It's a fine line, I get that, but certain things a user SHOULD expect to happen or work.

Sounds good coming from a user perspective. So say I model an amazing car and submit it to DAZ. then they turn it down because none of the parts are rigged (an expectation passed on to them from "some" customers), why, because I don't know the first thing about rigging, but I can model like noone else. You would deny other users the chance to purchase an addon based off "your" expectations, when others might not care if the parts didn't move?

I vote for DAZ letting PAs create products and then listing in the description all it's options, so users can decide what works best for their personal needs. If I needed a certain kind of vehicle for a scene and I could do without moving parts at a reasonable price, you better believe I would take that option over nothing.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited April 2019

I don't think there will ever be a rating system here, since the Pa's seem to be against it, at least many of the vocal ones who post  here do seem to be.

I do think there is a quality issue with recent pro bundles. They seem rushed to me and since dforce ready clothing is still pretty new, some of the included dforce clothing is underwhelming.  The Mr. Woo bundle had several problems for example and some of the add-ons also had some sloppy work. Also, several recent Male Pro bundles are including characters without anatomical elements which I don't like and which I don't consider a pro move. Bundle those characters as add-ons, but don't compel me to buy a gen-less character just because you throw it in a bundle.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited April 2019

shg0816_13461e8196  deversity , mabey a lot won't want to buy a pawn shop and other stuff i mentioned but 4 sure some will i'm sure the artists here have made diff things thinking they will sell but then don't do so good , not everyone needs a bunch of fancy bedrooms ,bathrooms, apartments and so on.  I may just have to get my learning cap on and start making stuff myself. lol

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,061
    I don't think they want to treat this like Amazon, where every product has a 5-star rating and comment section. Less micro-management, the better.
  • Dave230 said:
    I don't think they want to treat this like Amazon, where every product has a 5-star rating and comment section. Less micro-management, the better.

And Amazon, eBay and the rest had that feature from the start, not tacked on 15 or more years later.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited April 2019

I get bribed   umm I mean get given free products if I do nice reviews on the site where I get my Grocery shopping.   A lot of Amazon sellers do the same.  offer goods for reviews. Plus some of the review sites even have people who are paid to write reviews and answer surveys. I know someone who makes a reasonable amount of money filling in surveys for sites he never even knew existed.

Just saying.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713

shg0816_13461e8196  deversity , mabey a lot won't want to buy a pawn shop and other stuff i mentioned but 4 sure some will i'm sure the artists here have made diff things thinking they will sell but then don't do so good , not everyone needs a bunch of fancy bedrooms ,bathrooms, apartments and so on.  I may just have to get my learning cap on and start making stuff myself. lol

Make it yourself, and/or kitbash...

• sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353

What bothers me is that there doesn't seem to be any concern about screening products for usability without considerable tweaking. The first thing I have to do when loading any architecture or furniture is resize it to DAZ Studio scale. There are standard sizes such as how big a door is, how high a table or chair is, etc. So I first check a door to see how big it is, and in most cases, it's way too big. Doors are normally 80 inches high...92 inch doors don't look right. Also the placement of doorknobs, light switches, electrical outlets all have standards that should be followed. And looking at a recent model of a hotel hallway, it shows all the room doors opening into the hallway. Have you ever seen a hotel that has doors opening into the hallway?

• sfaa69 said:

What bothers me is that there doesn't seem to be any concern about screening products for usability without considerable tweaking. The first thing I have to do when loading any architecture or furniture is resize it to DAZ Studio scale. There are standard sizes such as how big a door is, how high a table or chair is, etc. So I first check a door to see how big it is, and in most cases, it's way too big. Doors are normally 80 inches high...92 inch doors don't look right. Also the placement of doorknobs, light switches, electrical outlets all have standards that should be followed. And looking at a recent model of a hotel hallway, it shows all the room doors opening into the hallway. Have you ever seen a hotel that has doors opening into the hallway?

I've seen many hotels like that. Literally every hotel has doors that open to the hallway. 

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    sfaa69 said:

I've seen many hotels like that. Literally every hotel has doors that open to the hallway. 

Now that I think about it, actually in most hotels in my experience the room door opens (rotates) into the room, not into the hallway.

Rooms - including hotel rooms - that have no doors is a different complaint LOL

• PsyckosamaPsyckosama Posts: 495
    edited April 2019

Generally I gotta day I am less than enthused by a lot of the stuff offered now. Most items are either niech or impractical. It took me weeks to find a decent long sleaved shirt for G8M and I had to convert over a G3 figure for it.

Then you have the textures on most items which... and not to sound strange here... are simply not generic enough in many cases and with basically everything only offering one default texture these days, having to buy a texture pack ontop of the clothing for something that don't look like it only fits with a specific outfit is annoying as all hell.

Though to be honest, these days it seems to be less the creators and more Daz's fault. Ever since Iray took off they've become much more anal about clothes detail than they used to be.

Which is funny because IMHO they should really consider adding in a real time renderer. Modern GPUs can support it and it would be nice to have a "very good" render in a second rather than a "perfect, as long as you don't get unlucky and get more fireflies than an owl city album" option

Post edited by Psyckosama on
  • sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353
    sfaa69 said:

I've seen many hotels like that. Literally every hotel has doors that open to the hallway

Not "to" the hallway, but "into" the hallway. Doors open into the rooms, or else you would be walking down the hallway and someone would open a door that you would run into.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    sfaa69 said:

Ouch. Like, yeah, if i have to rescale and resize interior bought in daz store, where i expected it to be in scale with genesis figure, next time i may just dont bother with daz-exclusive releases and get some .obj from sharecg or cgtrader etc (though in that case not only scale, but materials will need adjusting work) =/

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    sfaa69 said:

I don't remember any home, apartment, hotel, or motel where the doors don't open towards the room interior.

• Well you know what rating i would give for that baloon donkey right? Anyway, ratings would be nice if you also write why is your review good or bad. Like some online shops are doing.