DAZ Studio on a Surface Book Pro 2

Here's a question for everyone: how well does DAZ Studio work on a Surface Book Pro 2, 15 inch version?

I read the specs and it comes with 16G of memory and a NVIDIA GeForce 1060 video card with 4G of memory. So obviously, rendering an image will probably take 10 seconds. laugh

But the other spec that got my attention was that the 15 inch display has a native resolution of 3240x2160 pixels!

Does anyone know how this affects the interface? Obviously, the document window size can now be 2000x2000 pixels, but what do the controls and libraries look at since a high resolution? Does a 91x91 thumbnail image become almost unclickable? smiley

And while we're on the subject, does anyone know how Poser Pro will run?

Comments

• I believe some of the DS devs were doing this, rendering on a  desktop or server via Iray Server.

• I read the specs and it comes with 16G of memory and a NVIDIA GeForce 1060 video card with 4G of memory. So obviously, rendering an image will probably take 10 seconds. laugh

I'm thinking of buying a Surface Book 2 for use with Daz3D, so I have to ask, because I'm not sure - were you being ironic here? I mean I get it won't take 10 seconds most likely but is the NVIDIA GeForce 1060 old and slow? Way insufficient for rendering scenes?

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

I set up scenes on surface book 1 no problem but rendering is slow. I usually render on my desktop. I’m waiting for surface book 3 but would love to hear peoples’ experience With surface book 2. 

• I set up scenes on surface book 1 no problem but rendering is slow. I usually render on my desktop. I’m waiting for surface book 3 but would love to hear peoples’ experience With surface book 2. 

Does the Surface Book 1 GPU not do much for rendering?

It will render, but it is slow.  I'll use it to render only a model with hair and clothing, but the rendering takes long and slows the laptop's other functions if I'm doing something else at the same time.  Big environments make it crash or freeze.  Since my desktop is fast, I use the desktop for rendering.  As noted, it the laptop is awesome for scene setting up, even relatively big environments.      

• I too am looking at a Surface Book 2 by rights it should render much better than the surface book 1.

If anyone has used the surface book two - I would love to hear their experience before I drop $2,400.00 on the 16GB Ram and GTX 1060 version

• I have a surface book 2 windows 10 all the extras, and it's a ridiculously great laptop in my opinion, but there does seem to be one intermittent bug that I am contending with while using DAZ. The surface book 2 has 2 graphic cards, and I think that may be confusing daz. About 80% of the time when I start up Daz Studio Pro 4.10 the viewport controls are all white boxes, and the viewport itself has major coloration issues, like all white-ish, sometimes color, but super buggy acting.  I've very hopeful that somebody knows a workaround for this, or that they will release a patch to make daz more compoatilbe with this common/popular device.

• That sounds like a GPU issue, yes. You shoudl be able to tell Daz Studio (I assume that's what you mean when you say Daz) which to use - for example, if the second GPU is an nVidia it will be in the nVidia control panel.

• mx90209mx90209 Posts: 69

I have a surface book 2 windows 10 all the extras, and it's a ridiculously great laptop in my opinion, but there does seem to be one intermittent bug that I am contending with while using DAZ. The surface book 2 has 2 graphic cards, and I think that may be confusing daz. About 80% of the time when I start up Daz Studio Pro 4.10 the viewport controls are all white boxes, and the viewport itself has major coloration issues, like all white-ish, sometimes color, but super buggy acting.  I've very hopeful that somebody knows a workaround for this, or that they will release a patch to make daz more compoatilbe with this common/popular device.

Did you find a workaround for this? Or do you still have these issues?

• mx90209 said:

Did you find a workaround for this? Or do you still have these issues?

So, yes sorta, I just have to keep restarting Daz... It seems like it selects the graphics card almost randomly (probably the first card that answers some kind of query??), anyhow, sometimes it works the first time, and the most times I had to restart it was around 20 before it worked... it's pretty annoying, but usually i only have to restart it 2 or 3 times. No changes, it just magically works.

Did you try the advanced render settings where you can choose which card to use?

• mx90209 said:

Did you try the advanced render settings where you can choose which card to use?

Yes, and that works for the renders just fine, and I have tried every combination probably 10 times each, but all the settings seem completely unrelated to the bug I experience with the viewport. The surface book 2 isn't the most powerful for working in Daz3D that's for sure, but it's good enough for putting together my scenes and ok for rendering. 

mx90209 said:

Yes, and that works for the renders just fine, and I have tried every combination probably 10 times each, but all the settings seem completely unrelated to the bug I experience with the viewport. The surface book 2 isn't the most powerful for working in Daz3D that's for sure, but it's good enough for putting together my scenes and ok for rendering. 

Thank you for the info! Maybe I'll hold for the Surface Book 3, assuming it's released later this year.

mx90209 said:
    mx90209 said:

Thank you for the info! Maybe I'll hold for the Surface Book 3, assuming it's released later this year.

I'm waiting for the Surface Book 3 as well.  Speculation and rumor have it that it might appear September or October this year.

• mx90209 said:
    mx90209 said:

Absolutely, glad to help where and when I can. :-) and good luck!

• j0zffrazierj0zffrazier Posts: 7
    edited April 2019

So good news, from quite a bit of tinkering and googling I was able to figure out how to resolve the ViewPort Graphics Card issue for the Surface Book 2. Essentially in Windows 10 (and possibly earlier versions) you can specify the graphics card to be selected on a per application basis. You can do this by right clicking on the shortcut, click on the Properties in the context menu, and fom there click the button "Open File Location", and the DAZStudio.exe will open up in the file explorer. Right click on DAZStudio.exe and choose the swing-out sub-menu "Run with graphics processor", and from there select "Change default graphics processor". It will then bring up the NVIDIA Control Panel, where you choose to have DAZ Studio use the "High-performance NVIDIA processor" rather than Integrated Graphics or the system default. Hope that helps anybody else who may run into this problem. It would of course also work for other applications exhibiting similar issues. Cheers :-)

Post edited by j0zffrazier on

Now that Surface Book 3 is out, I'm wondering whether anyone has tried it out with DAZ Studios.  I've been saving up for it, and I'm almost there.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,121

Now that Surface Book 3 is out, I'm wondering whether anyone has tried it out with DAZ Studios.  I've been saving up for it, and I'm almost there.

I’ve been using a refurbished 5th-gen Surface Pro for the last few months, not just for DS, but also for Cinema 4D. I think it works great, although it’s not the best for rendering. 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234
    edited August 2020

i have the surface book 2 15 inch, personally dont know how anyone can do anything on such a small screen.

Even though specs are fine, i need more real estate screen wise to be productive.

I prefer using my PC, but also hate sitting at my desk to use my PC.

Post edited by lilweep on

I have the surface book 1 and easily use it to set up scenes. I render on my desktop because it goes way too slow on the laptop. I was hoping the new graphics card on the surface book 3 would make rendering possible/ not painfully slow. I just love the form of the surface book. It sounds like you can use version 2 to render and it is just the screen size that is your issue. Are you able to use other programs while rendering @lilweep ?