DAZ Studio on a Surface Book Pro 2

Here's a question for everyone: how well does DAZ Studio work on a Surface Book Pro 2, 15 inch version?

I read the specs and it comes with 16G of memory and a NVIDIA GeForce 1060 video card with 4G of memory. So obviously, rendering an image will probably take 10 seconds. laugh

But the other spec that got my attention was that the 15 inch display has a native resolution of 3240x2160 pixels!

Does anyone know how this affects the interface? Obviously, the document window size can now be 2000x2000 pixels, but what do the controls and libraries look at since a high resolution? Does a 91x91 thumbnail image become almost unclickable? smiley

And while we're on the subject, does anyone know how Poser Pro will run?

Comments

• I believe some of the DS devs were doing this, rendering on a  desktop or server via Iray Server.

• I read the specs and it comes with 16G of memory and a NVIDIA GeForce 1060 video card with 4G of memory. So obviously, rendering an image will probably take 10 seconds. laugh

I'm thinking of buying a Surface Book 2 for use with Daz3D, so I have to ask, because I'm not sure - were you being ironic here? I mean I get it won't take 10 seconds most likely but is the NVIDIA GeForce 1060 old and slow? Way insufficient for rendering scenes?

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 1,388

I set up scenes on surface book 1 no problem but rendering is slow. I usually render on my desktop. I’m waiting for surface book 3 but would love to hear peoples’ experience With surface book 2. 

• I set up scenes on surface book 1 no problem but rendering is slow. I usually render on my desktop. I’m waiting for surface book 3 but would love to hear peoples’ experience With surface book 2. 

Does the Surface Book 1 GPU not do much for rendering?

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 1,388

It will render, but it is slow.  I'll use it to render only a model with hair and clothing, but the rendering takes long and slows the laptop's other functions if I'm doing something else at the same time.  Big environments make it crash or freeze.  Since my desktop is fast, I use the desktop for rendering.  As noted, it the laptop is awesome for scene setting up, even relatively big environments.      

• I too am looking at a Surface Book 2 by rights it should render much better than the surface book 1.

If anyone has used the surface book two - I would love to hear their experience before I drop $2,400.00 on the 16GB Ram and GTX 1060 version