Carrara Challenge 45: Extinction and De-extinction! Less than two days to go!

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

Less than one week to go for entries. Happy St Patrick's Day to all those who believe ;)

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,695
    edited March 2019

Less than one week to go for entries. Happy St Patrick's Day to all those who believe ;)

Leprachaun 8 modified.png
    1040 x 1040 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited March 2019

good one, Bunyip.

Decided to model an extinct Hominid skull.  Here is Austrapolithicus africanus.  If time permits, I will experiment with the shader of the skull, which right now is a simple procedural.  I might paint bump and displacement maps.  For the text on the pedastal, I rendered a separate scene and used it as the shader.  he separate scene just had a custom tree and some Carrara text.

tt02 fossil setup.JPG
    1640 x 926 - 176K
    tt01 fossil entry.png
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801

very cool.... and I can't pronounce it with one go either ... awesome yes cool

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited March 2019

As usual great work done by everyone here!

I"ll have to go back and look closer at the subjects covered thus far...My idea was to do a 'de-extinction' theme of humans, resurrected by our benevolent robot overlords who only have our best interests at heart...(of course...)

But, I was interrupted on the way...I litterally tripped on my own life last month and ended up fracturing my tibia so badly I had to have surgery, and, consequently, have been laid up unable to do much at all. The attached spastic sketches were done  few weeks ago. Just started modeling some stuff the past few days. I have no idea where any of it is going...

Cheers all!

wip_001.jpg
    1290 x 1000 - 88K
    sketch_001.jpg
    1494 x 765 - 142K
    sketch_002.jpg
    1162 x 893 - 172K
    man_sketch_scan_001.jpg
    761 x 809 - 81K
    assembly_room_001.jpg
    1163 x 790 - 125K
    robot_arm_001.jpg
    1563 x 1062 - 104K
    Post edited by DesertDude on

That's a joyous looking St Patrick!! Very Breughel and p[ainterly!

good one, Bunyip.

Decided to model an extinct Hominid skull.  Here is Austrapolithicus africanus.  If time permits, I will experiment with the shader of the skull, which right now is a simple procedural.  I might paint bump and displacement maps.  For the text on the pedastal, I rendered a separate scene and used it as the shader.  he separate scene just had a custom tree and some Carrara text.

Ted, simple but poignant - love your work flow - thanks for doing a step by step for us 

I"ll have to go back and look closer at the subjects covered thus far...My idea was to do a 'de-extinction' theme of humans, resurrected by our benevolent robot overlords who only have our best interests at heart...(of course...)

But, I was interrupted on the way...I litterally tripped on my own life last month and ended up fracturing my tibia so badly I had to have surgery, and, consequently, have been laid up unable to do much at all. The attached spastic sketches were done  few weeks ago. Just started modeling some stuff the past few days. I have no idea where any of it is going...

Cheers all!

wow, hope you recover soon - real life is dangerous!!!! 

Scene looks like a lot of fun - which maybe it shouldnt :) the sketches add that extra dimension - if I was doing something like this I would fake it - do the 3d render first and then do the sketches ha ha ha :) 

edited March 2019

Oh no, DesertDude.  Hope your health stuff heals quickly.  The project looks really cool.

I found some time to use Carrara's 3D paint tool to paint some distribution maps for my fossil skull.  I created maps for the highlight channel and to create a mixer for the bump channel.  I will be swapping out my fossil entry.

EDIT - a little more fiddling with 3D paint tool for maps for the highlight, shininess, and bump channels.  I also adjusted the lighting and camera a little.

Fossil Entry Render.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 105K
    Render Swap Out.jpg
    2400 x 2098 - 543K
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

@Headwax_Carrara

Thanks for tips on books.  Topic here to talk about color theory & things like that?  Don’t want to stray OT on challenge.

@Bunnip02_Carrara

Like how he seems to be doing a jig.  Fun.  Happy (belated) St. Patrick’s!  :)

@DesertDude

Like the sketchwork.  Wouldn’t have thought of putting it in there  :)

Painful just to read about fractured shin bone.  As others have said, here’s wishing you a speedy recovery.

@Diomedes_Carrara

I don’t know enough to comment on anything else, but your lighting on it.  Looks like something out of a textbook!

---
    Guess that’s it for me.   Mainly just checking in.  Until the 23rd of voting then.

Best wishes to everyone!

• the dry bones.

this is the render.

i enlarged it and used filter forge's oil and pointalism,

multiple sizes.

then back to pd howler to adjust and merge them.

them bones1.png
    2000 x 1500 - 4M
    them bone1 artistic1j.jpg
    4000 x 3000 - 1M

Excellent, Shlomi.  Thanks for sharing your workflow.  I have Howler and did a couple tutorials but for some reason still go to my old image editor.  Howler has some very nice features.

There has been a Revolution!  Diomede is taking over.

Andrew got a nice surprise that while very pleasant, will prevent him from watching the thread during some of the challenge.  I am going to announce the closing of the entry thread when the time comes.  I won’t have direct control of the first post so can’t change the title of the thread to include the word ‘voting.’  I’ll ask the mods to help, but keep an eye out for the voting period.  It will be announced within the WIP and Entry threads even if there is a delay in converting the title of the thread.

Oh, and thanks for the comment,Tynkere. There is a photo of the actual museum display in one of my posts on the second page of the thread.  I wasn’t trying to be exact, but I did want it to look realistic, which I’m not really trying to do very often.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Thanks @Headwax_Carrara, @Diomede_Carrara and @Tynkere for the nice words - leg seems to be healing well, just a matter of waiting it out and doing the exercises the doc told me to do. laugh

Cheers all!

ouch!

that would of hurt... I guess it's plaster then moon boot for you for a while .. don't get to bored just do some modeling and get well quick yes

the dry bones.

this is the render.

multiple sizes.

I like this... unusual... I like unusual smiley

Excellent, Shlomi.  Thanks for sharing your workflow.  I have Howler and did a couple tutorials but for some reason still go to my old image editor.  Howler has some very nice features.

Andrew got a nice surprise that while very pleasant, will prevent him from watching the thread during some of the challenge.  I am going to announce the closing of the entry thread when the time comes.  I won’t have direct control of the first post so can’t change the title of the thread to include the word ‘voting.’  I’ll ask the mods to help, but keep an eye out for the voting period.  It will be announced within the WIP and Entry threads even if there is a delay in converting the title of the thread.

Mutiny on the Carrara!

you have the power angel

edited March 2019

Hya Diomede, thanks so much for doing that!! I am still here on the planet for the next two days - after that I will go into deep cover :) for two weeks  then I will emerge like a chrysler ... er I mean a triffid, no that's not right I meant a 'a quiescent insect pupa" :)

but seriously thanks so much for taking the reigns and the reins !

great to be part of such an intelligent and supportive group

Post edited by Headwax on

the dry bones.

this is the render.

multiple sizes.

superb piecce of work there shlomi

now you all know why you all have never seen @Headwax_Carrara and James Bond in the same room together!

surprise

ha ha - mind you I have never seen myself in the same room together :)

... I am still here on the planet for the next two days...

Revolution postponed.  blush

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224

I just took a cruise through the Entry thread.

Wow. Just Wow!!! What an art gallery!

Really wish I could join in the fun.

Soon, maybe?

Bah...

Who am I trying to kid? At this rate it'll be Years! indecision

edited March 2019

Oops.  I just went back and read the rules again.  We are allowed 2 in each category.  My garden project would have been a 3rd in category A.  So, I am repurposing it for category B.  I've added a Daz dinosaur to the garden.  When Ingen manipulates DNA to create Jurassic Park, they are going to have to feed the critters.

Dinosaur Entry Diomede De Extinction.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 701K

Nice! yes

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382

Not all exitinctions are bad.

My grandmother used a cane almost all her life. She had polio as a child.

Poliomielitis virus is almost erradicated (but not yet).

Here, I get a virus particle from an icosahedron in vertex modeler

With a surface replicator on a plane:

Based on electron micrographs as these:

https://pixels.com/featured/7-poliovirus-tem-science-source.html

https://www.alamy.es/foto-virus-de-la-polio-tem-134945887.html

The rendering:

In bump channel I used a cellular pattern.

poliovirusWIP.jpg
    553 x 525 - 59K
    poligroupWIP.jpg
    1920 x 1040 - 406K
    poliovirusWIP.jpg
    553 x 525 - 95K
    poliovirus.png
    1080 x 810 - 976K
    Alberto said:

Not all exitinctions are bad.

My grandmother used a cane almost all her life. She had polio as a child.

Poliomielitis virus is almost erradicated (but not yet).

Here, I get a virus particle from an icosahedron in vertex modeler

With a surface replicator on a plane:

Based on electron micrographs as these:

https://pixels.com/featured/7-poliovirus-tem-science-source.html

https://www.alamy.es/foto-virus-de-la-polio-tem-134945887.html

The rendering:

In bump channel I used a cellular pattern.

wow Alberto that's wonderful and left field!! (lateral thinking)

Oops.  I just went back and read the rules again.  We are allowed 2 in each category.  My garden project would have been a 3rd in category A.  So, I am repurposing it for category B.  I've added a Daz dinosaur to the garden.  When Ingen manipulates DNA to create Jurassic Park, they are going to have to feed the critters.

perfect - you did a good job on the dinosaur textures - how did you get it so lifelike - I loaded up my old models and they looked ... er old

!

I just took a cruise through the Entry thread.

Wow. Just Wow!!! What an art gallery!

Really wish I could join in the fun.

Soon, maybe?

Bah...

Who am I trying to kid? At this rate it'll be Years! indecision

Hey Dart, it's going to be good to see you enter - it's just a matter of keeping the ball afloat if you know what I mean - it's all about community and showing off parts of Carrara that we might not have investigated thoroughly - for me in this one it;s been about hair - specifically making the ends of hair thicker than the root :)

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382

Vaccination is the weapon against poliovirus. The Sabin's vaccine is oral.

I modeled a vial in vertex model:

The vial's geometry is closed mesh to be compatible with Fluidos.

vial2WIP.jpg
    1146 x 773 - 205K
    vialWIP.jpg
    1146 x 773 - 136K

...drum roll please...

@Alberto - Eradicating diseases - that is a great interpretation of the theme.  Excellent modeling.  

@Headwax - RE the textures.  I can't take credit.  That particular dinosaur model has good maps.  Like many models designed for Poser, the default maps are muliplied by a gray, but that is easy to fix.