How to create a prop?

What is involved in creating a prop? What software is required? I would like to start with something simple like a picture frame -- something that already exists but make my own version from scratch. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to get started?

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,349

There are many modeling apps out there. Some are free and some you pay for, but to get started and see if you like it and something you would like to pursue then I would suggest GIMP which is free. There are a lot of tutorials on YouTube to get you started with the software.

• Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,027

thank you

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,794

GIMP will do the image side of things but grab Hexagon from DAZ3D for the modelling side yes

• MazhMazh Posts: 476
    edited March 2019

I would also suggest Hexagon, the DazStudio/ Hexagon bridge is extremly useful when you start 3D modelling.

If you're asking about the modelling process itself:

1. Have an idea/ concept how to create your picture frame from scratch (like create a cube primitive, scale it, make an inset etc.,but there are many ways to do it).

2. Know how to do this in the modelling app of your choice.

3. Create material zones (like the frame and the picture itself)

4. Make a proper/ useful uv layout for your model.

5. Create some textures/ shader(presets) for your model.

6. Send/ Import to Daz Studio.

7. Render...

smiley

Post edited by Mazh on
  • frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Blender is another free modeller: https://www.blender.org/download/ and I would suggest using the 2.80 Beta version.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited March 2019

If you want to start super simple you can start by making props inside of Daz Studio. All of the props from my ELR Spectrum Studio product were only made inside Daz Studio with primitives:

I didn't use any modelling program. Though, once you get a feel for working with primitives you can always export them out as OBJs and add fine detail and/or model them farther in a modelling program if you want. :) But you can definitely do a lot with primitives alone.

Capture.JPG
    392 x 677 - 51K
    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited March 2019

It is important to keep in mind what your modeling goals are... Are you just looking to make simple props to fill a need not met by store items or freebies?... Will these items need UV maps to achieve the look you desire... Are these “hard shapes” like a table, a dresser or a pedestal, or softer, more “organic” shapes like a pillow, a sofa or a stuffed gorilla?... 

If you ultimately have loftier goals, remember to get familiar with the basics first, a lot of folks read how-to articles or watch videos that make it seem like anyone can pick up any modeling program and just randomly poke at controls and bam, they have a fully rigged tyrannosaurus riding a unicycle. Don’t get frustrated because it may seem stupidly hard at times... a lot of it is poor communication of basic ideas by the writer or videomaker.

Also, it might help to familiarize yourself with modeling terms... Along time ago in another version of these forums (back when I was known as “lordvicore”) I put together a glossary of 3D/CGI terms, many of the terms included there pertain to modeling... https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/46/glossary-of-terms-for-those-new-to-digital-art-and-daz-3d#latest

Please ignore the stupid humor, and especially the many dead links that are probably still there, as it was transferred from the old forum something like eight years or so ago... which is like a century in Tech/Internet years. I intend to update that with a lot more terms I’ve collected since... hopefully soon... 

Good luck!

Post edited by McGyver on
  • ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528

Gotta love the Hexagon. It's even slightly more stable than when I first got it.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited March 2019

I suggest Hexagon too. I use Wings 3D most of the time, mostly because I learned to model with it and it's habit, but Hexagon has more tools that you might want and it's still easy to learn (and it's free, which is a bonus....lol). Blender is like jumping in with both feet rather than dipping a toe, and I'm afraid you may get frustrated with it, but of course, it might suit you and it's always there for later on after you're comfortable modeling.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
    edited June 2023

There is another modeling program that I think is worth mentioning here. It to me is much easier to understand and use. It is Wings3D. It does work a good bit differently from those other modeling programs, but it is also a lot easier to learn. The tools it has are context sensitive. In other words, whichever mode you are in when you right click in the work window, only tools that work in that mode will be on the menu. No having to do long searches to find the tool you need. The modes are from left to right - Vertex, Edge, Face, and Body. Now if you don't have anything selected in the work window, when you right click in the work window, a menu will appear with the different primitive shapes available in the program, select one to load it, or right click to call up a box that lets you decide extra things concerning that primitive. The tools in that box will be easy to understand. Experiment and explore the possibilities.

Vertex - In this mode you will be working with the points, also known as the Vertices. these points are where the edges come together. The tools for this mode will appear when you are in Vertex mode, and you right click in the work window.

Edge - In this mode you work with Edges which are the lines that span the distance between vertices. As above, the tools for this mode will appear when you are in Edge mode and you right click in the work window.

Face - In this mode you work with the faces, which are the polygons or facets of the model They are defined by the edges that surround them. The tools for this mode appear when you are in Face mode and right click in the work window.

Body - In this mode you will work with the Body of the selected object. Each object you have in your work window is a Body. When you select something in Body mode the entire object is selected. As above, the tools for Body mode appear when you are in Body mode and you right click in the work window.

If you choose to try Wings3D, I suggest experimenting and exploring to familiarize yourself with the way the program works. To switch modes there are four icons across the middle of the top of the Wing3D interface shaped like cubes. Clicking on one switches you into that mode. From there you can experiment with the tools for that mode.

There are some advanced things you will want to learn later, but be patient. You will want to learn a little as you go. Take it at a pace that does not overwhelm you.

Post edited by Mage 13X13 on

Mage 13X13 said:

There is another modeling program that I think is worth mentioning here. It to me is much easier to understand and use. It is Wings3D. It does work a good bit differently from those other modeling programs, but it is also a lot easier to learn. The tools it has are context sensitive. In other words, whichever mode you are in when you right click in the work window, only tools that work in that mode will be on the menu. No having to do long searches to find the tool you need. The modes are from left to right - Vertex, Edge, Face, and Body. Now if you don't have anything selected in the work window, when you right click in the work window, a menu will appear with the different primitive shapes available in the program, select one to load it, or right click to call up a box that lets you decide extra things concerning that primitive. The tools in that box will be easy to understand. Experiment and explore the possibilities.

Vertex - In this mode you will be working with the points, also known as the Vertices. these points are where the edges come together. The tools for this mode will appear when you are in Vertex mode, and you right click in the work window.

Edge - In this mode you work with Edges which are the lines that span the distance between vertices. As above, the tools for this mode will appear when you are in Edge mode and you right click in the work window.

Face - In this mode you work with the faces, which are the polygons or facets of the model They are defined by the edges that surround them. The tools for this mode appear when you are in Face mode and right click in the work window.

Body - In this mode you will work with the Body of the selected object. Each object you have in your work window is a Body. When you select something in Body mode the entire object is selected. As above, the tools for Body mode appear when you are in Body mode and you right click in the work window.

If you choose to try Wings3D, I suggest experimenting and exploring to familiarize yourself with the way the program works. To switch modes there are four icons across the middle of the top of the Wing3D interface shaped like cubes. Clicking on one switches you into that mode. From there you can experiment with the tools for that mode.

There are some advanced things you will want to learn later, but be patient. You will want to learn a little as you go. Take it at a pace that does not overwhelm you.

Much as I try to use Blender (and I can), Wings3D is still my go-to. I know it the best and it works for me ;). It's not for everyone though. It does just box modeling, so you're limited to that, but sometimes that's all you need. 

• semperequstrisemperequstri Posts: 146
    edited June 2023

Definitely look at learning basic principles with Wings 3d before going to Blender. I started exploring 3d with Wings before going to Cinema4D many moons ago. Sadly it's become WAY to expensive to update C4D so now I'm trying Blender to get ready for the time when my R17 won't run anymore. So far it's been a bit of a struggle, so it might be too daunting for someone new to 3D.

I tried Hexagon before, but it kept crashing so I gave up on it. Maybe it's time to try again.wink

Post edited by semperequstri on

semperequstri said:

Definitely look at learning basic principles with Wings 3d before going to Blender. I started exploring 3d with Wings before going to Cinema4D many moons ago. Sadly it's become WAY to expensive to update C4D so now I'm trying Blender to get ready for the time when my R17 won't run anymore. So far it's been a bit of a struggle, so it might be too daunting for someone new to 3D.

I tried Hexagon before, but it kept crashing so I gave up on it. Maybe it's time to try again.wink

It still crashes, but just not as much ;). Just don't move too fast. LOL 

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,976
    edited June 2023

Also    another  3D  modeling program  TrueSpace ( free )    +  Thanx 

Post edited by ed3D on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317
    edited June 2023

My go to is Hexagon3D.  Paid a buck eighty-eight for it ($1.88) during the platinum sale in 2010.  I certainly made a return on investment with it. I have close to 20 3D tools and applications and Hexagon3D still is useful for quick modelling tasks.

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,046
    edited June 2023

Me, I have an elderly copy of SolidWorks, that can only export in formats incompatible with DS. The least incompatible is .stl . So I have written a stl-to-obj translator and a de-triangulator and a UV mapper. Might have been easier to learn Hexagon, but I doubt it. And regardless, it was easier than learning Blender.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • Hi everyone! I have a question about creating props. Once I created my base mesh an exported it into an .obj format, what have I to do next? I gess I have to import the .obj file into Daz, but how can I create an asset that will "stay" in Daz? I mean, what have I to do in order the prop appears with the other Daz props, in any file, without I have to use the "import tool" each time I want to use it?

Thank you in advance for your answer!

• felisfelis Posts: 3,646
    edited September 2023

After you have imported it, you might apply materials. And then you can save as figure/prop asset.

Then it will be in your content library.

If you want it in Smart Content you have to add meta-data.

Post edited by felis on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552

yuyu.atem said:

Hi everyone! I have a question about creating props. Once I created my base mesh an exported it into an .obj format, what have I to do next? I gess I have to import the .obj file into Daz, but how can I create an asset that will "stay" in Daz? I mean, what have I to do in order the prop appears with the other Daz props, in any file, without I have to use the "import tool" each time I want to use it?

Thank you in advance for your answer!

Before you import it into DS, youi need to make sure it is UVMapped

• Thank you very much!laugh Could you tell me how to add meta-data, please?

Thank you in advance!

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,050
    edited September 2023

3Diva said:

If you want to start super simple you can start by making props inside of Daz Studio. All of the props from my ELR Spectrum Studio product were only made inside Daz Studio with primitives:

---

I didn't use any modelling program. Though, once you get a feel for working with primitives you can always export them out as OBJs and add fine detail and/or model them farther in a modelling program if you want. :) But you can definitely do a lot with primitives alone.

Those are great 3Diva!  Wishlisted the set ;)  I play with the primitives a lot too... but not created anything as grand as yours... It's amazing what a little texturing can do ;)  Well done!

oops.. never mind... just saw this thread was from 2019!  ughh... I'm late to the party... again

Post edited by Llola Lane on
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,646

You can right-click an item, and then select Catogorize.

And after that in the local menu (3 bars in the corner) select Content DB Editor.