How to create a prop?

What is involved in creating a prop? What software is required? I would like to start with something simple like a picture frame -- something that already exists but make my own version from scratch. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to get started?

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 10,820

There are many modeling apps out there. Some are free and some you pay for, but to get started and see if you like it and something you would like to pursue then I would suggest GIMP which is free. There are a lot of tutorials on YouTube to get you started with the software.

• Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 312

thank you

• Wendy_CarraraWendy_Carrara Posts: 19,209

GIMP will do the image side of things but grab Hexagon from DAZ3D for the modelling side yes

• MazhMazh Posts: 158
    edited March 17

I would also suggest Hexagon, the DazStudio/ Hexagon bridge is extremly useful when you start 3D modelling.

If you're asking about the modelling process itself:

1. Have an idea/ concept how to create your picture frame from scratch (like create a cube primitive, scale it, make an inset etc.,but there are many ways to do it).

2. Know how to do this in the modelling app of your choice.

3. Create material zones (like the frame and the picture itself)

4. Make a proper/ useful uv layout for your model.

5. Create some textures/ shader(presets) for your model.

6. Send/ Import to Daz Studio.

7. Render...

smiley

Post edited by Mazh on
  • dragonfly_2004dragonfly_2004 Posts: 1,071

Blender is another free modeller: https://www.blender.org/download/ and I would suggest using the 2.80 Beta version.

• DivamakeupDivamakeup Posts: 8,097
    edited March 17

If you want to start super simple you can start by making props inside of Daz Studio. All of the props from my ELR Spectrum Studio product were only made inside Daz Studio with primitives:

I didn't use any modelling program. Though, once you get a feel for working with primitives you can always export them out as OBJs and add fine detail and/or model them farther in a modelling program if you want. :) But you can definitely do a lot with primitives alone.

Capture.JPG
    392 x 677 - 51K
    Post edited by Divamakeup on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 2,630
    edited March 17

It is important to keep in mind what your modeling goals are... Are you just looking to make simple props to fill a need not met by store items or freebies?... Will these items need UV maps to achieve the look you desire... Are these “hard shapes” like a table, a dresser or a pedestal, or softer, more “organic” shapes like a pillow, a sofa or a stuffed gorilla?... 

If you ultimately have loftier goals, remember to get familiar with the basics first, a lot of folks read how-to articles or watch videos that make it seem like anyone can pick up any modeling program and just randomly poke at controls and bam, they have a fully rigged tyrannosaurus riding a unicycle. Don’t get frustrated because it may seem stupidly hard at times... a lot of it is poor communication of basic ideas by the writer or videomaker.

Also, it might help to familiarize yourself with modeling terms... Along time ago in another version of these forums (back when I was known as “lordvicore”) I put together a glossary of 3D/CGI terms, many of the terms included there pertain to modeling... https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/46/glossary-of-terms-for-those-new-to-digital-art-and-daz-3d#latest

Please ignore the stupid humor, and especially the many dead links that are probably still there, as it was transferred from the old forum something like eight years or so ago... which is like a century in Tech/Internet years. I intend to update that with a lot more terms I’ve collected since... hopefully soon... 

Good luck!

Post edited by McGyver on
  • ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,416

Gotta love the Hexagon. It's even slightly more stable than when I first got it.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 3,777
    edited March 18

I suggest Hexagon too. I use Wings 3D most of the time, mostly because I learned to model with it and it's habit, but Hexagon has more tools that you might want and it's still easy to learn (and it's free, which is a bonus....lol). Blender is like jumping in with both feet rather than dipping a toe, and I'm afraid you may get frustrated with it, but of course, it might suit you and it's always there for later on after you're comfortable modeling.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on