Carrara Challenge 45: Extinction and De-extinction! Less than two days to go!

Comments

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496

I wanted to do a second render for de-extinction,b but school is dumping loads again. When do submissions start/end?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

Hya plenty of time, great if you do another one, the first one is singing!

DATES

Entry thread open: March 7 2018.

Entry thread Closes: March 23rd 12.00 midnight Daz Utah Time.

ENTRY THREAD HERE  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/313556/carrara-challenge-45-extinction-and-de-extinction-entry-thread

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,656

Headwax - Monkey God is great, Mavis is also excellent

UB - nice Planet of the Apes theme

edited March 2019

Update from me, added a few items as well as some Aura into the scene.

Dolly the Sheep 2.png
    2400 x 1800 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    MAJourney said:

I wanted to do a second render for de-extinction,b but school is dumping loads again. When do submissions start/end?

Hope you get some fun-hobby time into your day, but keep up the study as it's important for the future !!!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited March 2019

Looking great, Bunyip!  Thanks for the comment.

Lots of drama and pretty scary - there's a great movie poster there UB!!! Impressed there is no post work.

Thanks.  For sure, it currently lacks a degree of cleverness, among other things.  Assuming I add more elements down the road, it will likely become an SC Warrior cover.

The main plan was to start from scratch and try to duplicate - or improve - on work I previously did in DS.  In my experience, this is not easy.  3Delight has a unique look that is difficult to replicate.  Sometimes I like it better than the Carrara native renderer, and sometimes not.  It would be fun to run this in Octane, but I don't own it yet.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited March 2019
    Scene.JPG
    1884 x 905 - 535K
    Post edited by DUDU on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

very good use of all things Carrara yes

the message is clear and sad... frown

great job @Dudu  smiley

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Thank you Stezza (forgot your real name...)!

No time to do more this month.

"very good use of all things Carrara ": it's a Carrara challenge, right?

that aura makes a big difference as far as adding a bit of zing!!!

Lots of drama and pretty scary - there's a great movie poster there UB!!! Impressed there is no post work.

Thanks.  For sure, it currently lacks a degree of cleverness, among other things.  Assuming I add more elements down the road, it will likely become an SC Warrior cover.

The main plan was to start from scratch and try to duplicate - or improve - on work I previously did in DS.  In my experience, this is not easy.  3Delight has a unique look that is difficult to replicate.  Sometimes I like it better than the Carrara native renderer, and sometimes not.  It would be fun to run this in Octane, but I don't own it yet.

cover is a good concept - adds another layer of meaning i think - slightly ot, using Affinity Pro's tone mapper has really spuced up my recent renders 

DUDU said:

great suff Dudu, yes wonderful use of Carrara :) Stzza always on the mark he is!

that aura makes a big difference as far as adding a bit of zing!!!

cover is a good concept - adds another layer of meaning i think - slightly ot, using Affinity Pro's tone mapper has really spuced up my recent renders 

Thanks, decided to add the aura's in after looking at the aura effects on Monkey God, really adds to the scene !!!

oh I painted those in :) dont tell anyone!! :) I think yours look more authentic!

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited March 2019

Doubt I'll finish in time, but very educational challenge-- not just about Carrara, but about science too.

Interesting links, PDF file, and I even ordered a sci-fi book!
    ---
    Short Nat Geo Article about man, the environment, and extinction of saber-toothed cat

_SaberCat.png
    1073 x 796 - 1M
    Post edited by Tynkere on

your rendition is looking better than the Nat Geo article one already :)

edited March 2019

your rendition is looking better than the Nat Geo article one already :)

Heh.  Kind of you to say, but I think it might be a while yet.  :)

Version 2:  Some guys are out hunting.  They notice something else also has its attention focused on same prey.  Maybe one guy pauses to admire the cat’s technique.  The other one is already headed home.  “The sun also rises.  I want to be around to see it.”

Peaceful coexistence sort of thing.

---
    BTW:  are we supposed to put Car screenshots in with these?  Not sure how that applies to ‘discussion’ part or whatever.

Edit: March 13

attaching screenshot of setup.  PS was used to change color or cat's eyes and add a touch of color to nose.

cat_v2.png
    1300 x 974 - 2M
    _CatSS.png
    1708 x 961 - 731K

great narrative!!! those humans add a good stopping point for the eye as well

A car screenshot? , yes and no. We try to keep things uncomplicated - but car files are very welcome mind you ! Best to know what program people are using ... ha ha !

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited March 2019

Dudu and Bunyip - great updates, they get better every time.  yes

UB - Can she say No-Va, Nova?  (might be obscure reference. Nova was name of Charleton Heston's mate in the original).  Simple but powerful.

Bruce - excellent sabre tooth.  Sometimes there is a rule to include the Carrara setup.  I don't think there has ever been a rule against including the scene setup.  So I generally include a screenshot of my car file.  

De-Extinction

Here is my attempt at de-extinction.  Modern humans and mega fauna lived together for tens of thousands of years.  How would human shamans have reacted during the mesolithic as the woolly mamaths disappeared?  Here is Vicky (6) in a temple (shaman's cave) with a sword (spear) trying to raise a mammath from the dead.  Fur and rocks are too similar in color.  Tried a very strong rim light.  Tried correcting using a GMIC filter.  Tried correecting using filter forge.

kk01 mammath scene setp.JPG
    1898 x 993 - 205K
    Mamath Resurect entry.jpg
    2000 x 1778 - 913K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited March 2019

@SileneUK_Carrara

Carrara book club?

Only 303 pages, but I like Museum of Second Chances already.  This is straying off topic a little, but as a grammar prig, I can’t resist. devil

in the states, people, tend to, put commas, most anywhere, they, want two.  Social.  Media.....Tends to just.  Make up punctuation....   ......and of course plenty of exclaymation thingies !!!!!

Thanks for the tip.  :)

@MAJourney

Hopefully the lightning and other work you did will put it over the top for you.  Gives plausable way to light eagle’s front when the sun is behind him (imo..)  

@UnifiedBrain

Ha!  Wonderful tribute to those old “Planet of the Apes” movies.  Before decapitation, any particular reason why Gorilla General would have queen remove her boots & greaves?

No, but in Hollywood, a nice leggy shot beats a boring 'plate armor' shot every time.   Perfect!

@Bunyip02_Carrara

Aura might give it a little added kick.  Has me thinking high voltage or something.  Robot has non-conductive treads?   Someone else blunders in there and touches the HV rings.  Bzzzt!

@Diomedes

Thanks.  Will add screenshot then.   If wanted to have been funny, could’ve included a render where I tried to put hair on the cat. It looked like a saber-tooth porcupine. O_o

Hats off to putting fur on mastodon!  Always interesting to see how people do their light setup too.  

@Headwax

Question:

Didn’t pay enough attention to ‘dis-extinction’ and assumed it was prevention/conservation efforts, not cloning.  Two projects might not be in spirit intended.  No extinct birds or resurrecting them-- just habitat preservation.  Same for dead frog & fish-- conservation & water pollution.  

What category if any?  

If not really in either category-- feel free to rule them out.  No biggie-- I’ll be off the hook!   Mainly entering them as ‘giving it the old college try’ as they say.

---
    @ Everyone

Sorry if long post.  Hopefully that has me caught up & didn’t leave anyone out.

Greetings Tynkere :)

@Headwax

Question:

Didn’t pay enough attention to ‘dis-extinction’ and assumed it was prevention/conservation efforts, not cloning.  Two projects might not be in spirit intended.  No extinct birds or resurrecting them-- just habitat preservation.  Same for dead frog & fish-- conservation & water pollution.  

What category if any?  If not really in either category-- feel free to rule them out.  No biggie-- I’ll be off the hook!   Mainly entering them as ‘giving it the old college try’ as they say.

Hya, that would be de-extinction :)

These challenges are just jumping off points - they are to ... er basically give us a challnge and see how other people approach it. The aim is to learn -  nothing is straightjacketed.

For example, I was tempted to do a mustang plane in a hanger with an old cloth on it ... assuming mustang planes ar extinct - so it's all lateral thinking.

Glad to have you onboard - intelligence and talent is good to see

---

Dudu and Bunyip - great updates, they get better every time.  yes

UB - Can she say No-Va, Nova?  (might be obscure reference. Nova was name of Charleton Heston's mate in the original).  Simple but powerful.

Bruce - excellent sabre tooth.  Sometimes there is a rule to include the Carrara setup.  I don't think there has ever been a rule against including the scene setup.  So I generally include a screenshot of my car file.  

De-Extinction

Here is my attempt at de-extinction.  Modern humans and mega fauna lived together for tens of thousands of years.  How would human shamans have reacted during the mesolithic as the woolly mamaths disappeared?  Here is Vicky (6) in a temple (shaman's cave) with a sword (spear) trying to raise a mammath from the dead.  Fur and rocks are too similar in color.  Tried a very strong rim light.  Tried correcting using a GMIC filter.  Tried correecting using filter forge.

now that's one hairy beast :)  I wouldnt be standing where the woman is.

maybe you could take the viepoint from below the waomn to show how big the beast is - just light it with a different coloured light to the cave - should stand out fine 

These challenges are just jumping off points - they are to ... er basically give us a challnge and see how other people approach it. The aim is to learn -  nothing is straightjacketed.

For example, I was tempted to do a mustang plane in a hanger with an old cloth on it ... assuming mustang planes ar extinct - so it's all lateral thinking.

Thanks.  de-exinction it is then.

Speaking of learning, if you or anyone else notices anything in renders that could use improvement-- obviously that's how I learn.  Maybe I'm my own worst critic though.   Can pick apart a bunch of stuff in the three I've done this month. 

I'll enter them as is, but any feedback appreciated.  Two sets of eyes better than one type thing.

Thanks for the comments, Diomede and Tynkere.

Tynkere said:
    @UnifiedBrain

Ha!  Wonderful tribute to those old “Planet of the Apes” movies.  Before decapitation, any particular reason why Gorilla General would have queen remove her boots & greaves?

No, but in Hollywood, a nice leggy shot beats a boring 'plate armor' shot every time.   Perfect!

Why would he put an iron collar on her if he wanted to decapitate? smiley

As for the partial disrobing (within the boundaries of TOS), the goal was humiliation.  I retitled it to make it more obvious, thanks.  It would help to have other apes looking on, hooting and hollering, but I didn't have time (or enough RAM :).

edited March 2019

I must watch POA again UB :)

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited March 2019

'Family of Thylacines Sheltering under  Boab Tree'

Recent History of The Tasmanian Tiger Thylacinus cynocephalus — Thylacine - extinct on the mainland for 2000 years but survived in Tasmnain until recently, when it was hunted down.

From Aust Govt site: http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/sprat/public/publicspecies.pl?taxon_id=342

• 1830 - Van Diemens Land Company introduced a Thylacine bounty
    • 1888 - Tasmanian Parliament placed a price of £1 on Thylacine's head
    • 1909 - Government bounty scheme terminated: 2184 bounties paid
    • 1910 - Thylacines rare - sought by zoos around the world
    • 1926 - London Zoo bought its last Thylacine for £150
    • 1933 - Last Thylacine captured, Florentine Valley, sold to Hobart Zoo
    • 1936 - World's last captive Thylacine died in Hobart Zoo (7 September 1936)
    • 1936 - Thylacine added to the list of protected wildlife
    • 1986 - Thylacine declared extinct by international standards

still have some creases around the pups' necks to fix

edit forgot to sign it will come back in an hour !!

edited March 2019
    Tynkere said:

Thanks.  de-exinction it is then.

Speaking of learning, if you or anyone else notices anything in renders that could use improvement-- obviously that's how I learn.  Maybe I'm my own worst critic though.   Can pick apart a bunch of stuff in the three I've done this month. 

I'll enter them as is, but any feedback appreciated.  Two sets of eyes better than one type thing.

sure thing but your work already looks terrific :)

what I look for is atmospheric depth , the idea that there is air there that scatters light, air full of particles and dust and the reduction of contrast plus other clues to monocular depth perception - it's quit often lacking in cg work I think

plus ideas like reflected light

Gurney has a great book on faking stuff  https://www.amazon.com/Color-Light-Realist-Painter-Gurney/dp/0740797719/ref=as_li_ss_tl?&linkCode=sl1&tag=paintable-20&linkId=0a677418647b31eb72f64b648bea68a0&language=en_US

it might say digital paintings but it helps us as three d artists to fake stuff as well

never be afraid of postwork :) 

edited March 2019

'Family of Thylacine Sheltering Under Boab Tree'

Digital work, 2019 - couldn't resist a purple shadow sitting against yellow pink ground... bit like the colours in a copy of an Albert Namatjira water colour my father did many years ago when he was learning to paint. It hung proudly above our fireplace till it was destroyed by water damage circa 1977

I didn't know the recent history of The Tasmanian Tiger (Thylacinus cynocephalus) till I started this image. The earliest fossils of Thylacinus are 30 million years old.

Though extinct on the mainland for 2000 years Thylacinus cynocephalus survived in Tasmania until recently - when it was made extinct by active human aggression. (Thylacinus cynocephalus should be in italics)

From Aust Govt site:

1830 - Van Diemens Land Company introduced a Thylacine bounty
    1888 - Tasmanian Parliament placed a price of £1 on Thylacine's head
    1909 - Government bounty scheme terminated: 2184 bounties paid
    1910 - Thylacines rare - sought by zoos around the world
    1926 - London Zoo bought its last Thylacine for £150
    1933 - Last Thylacine captured, Florentine Valley, sold to Hobart Zoo
    1936 - World's last captive Thylacine died in Hobart Zoo (7 September 1936)
    1936 - Thylacine added to the list of protected wildlife
    1986 - Thylacine declared extinct by international standards

tassietiger.jpg
    2000 x 1413 - 2M

Much appreciated!  Looks like an awesome book.

The more you know, the more there is to know. smiley

@UnifiedBrain

Ooops.  Better be careful what I say!  Was poking fun at Hollywood.  PG movies and they knew their teenage audience.  Iron collar because it looks cool.   Realistic?  Bah!  Nice leggy shot and of course her chest armor would have a plunging neckline.   I have a very dry sense of humor.  Much of the stuff at the store seems ludicrous, but who am I to judge?  It’s fantasy after all!  

A bit OT, but read that Night of the Lepus and Gargoyles are considered ‘old’ cult classics now.  The 1970s is old?  I don’t want to think what that would make me...  I don't consider myself old!   

@Headwax_Carrara

Thanks for tip.  Learn Carrara and buy books too.  ;)

Am tempted to chatter about details of your Tasmanian Tiger render and how the heck do you *do* that photoshop but won’t bore everyone.

Enjoy weekend!

--Bruce

edited March 2019

pleasure and thanks UB et Tynkere - this book also good http://jamesgurney.com/site/241/241

Tynkere

I've been studying what makes a painting/illustration look different to a photo or cg render - and trying to bring out thiose differences

Carrara has a whole lot of render passes that help us isolate different elements of a scene so we can work on them individually -

eg if you look at those shadows in The Tasmanian Devil work  they are purple - so I used the shadow pass to isoltae the shadows then coloured them - shadows arent black they are the same colour as the ambient light which comes from the sky (not the sun)

once you have mauvey shadows you you add yellow to the rest of the ground to make it shimmer as they are complementary colours 

Gurney's books help explain stuff like shadow colour

then I used clues to monocular depth perception etc ;)

also colours should be modulated - which a large area of eg blue looks boring so you can select that with your object pass , copy it add noise then gausian blur it then reduce the opacity of the layer to suit

also textures - everything is very clean in 3d = we get textures that you would never draw by hand - boring - so we need to 'modularte ' those as well :) Topaz simplify is very good for that