Import and export DAZ figures in Character Creator 3

I see you can now import figures from DAZ to Character Creator 3 - Is it also possible
to import them from CC3 to DAZ?

It said the import only applies to V4 and M4 but the figure in the promotion was a Genesis.

Anyone up to date with this?

Comments

• jake_fjake_f Posts: 226

I see you can now import figures from DAZ to Character Creator 3 - Is it also possible
    to import them from CC3 to DAZ?

I've been wondering this too.   If you are using CC3 and iClone I'd be interested in any comments you might have.   I see CC3 will be released as a stand alone product sometime this year, so that should make it cheaper and more accessible to more people. 

All I can really add is that I use another product (CrazyTalk) from the same company and find it to be most excellent.   I'd be using iClone and CC3 already except that they require a PC (no Mac version) and so I'm having to work on getting a PC first.

Can you explain why you would want to transfer a CC3 character to Daz?  This is a question, not a point or debate.  What do you wish to do in Daz that you couldn't do in iClone?  Again, I don't have iClone so I really don't know.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,095

https://www.reallusion.com/character-creator/tutorial.html

The tutorial page may help you. You can definitely export FBX, and import into Blender or other programs, so I would think it is theoretically possible to import to DS. Question is, why would you want to?

• jake_fjake_f Posts: 226

Next question might be, would a transfer actually work?  I've never used CC3, or tried what you're asking about, but I've tried to import many FBX files from various sources in to a couple different 3D apps and found that it rarely works, maybe 1 in 10 times at best.

As best I can tell, the 3D industry has not yet established a reliable data transfer standard.

• My 3D SpinMy 3D Spin Posts: 600
    edited February 2019
    3WC said:

https://www.reallusion.com/character-creator/tutorial.html

The tutorial page may help you. You can definitely export FBX, and import into Blender or other programs,
    so I would think it is theoretically possible to import to DS. Question is, why would you want to?

In CC3 you can create more interesting Charachters and when you export them as FBX and load them to
    example Unreal Engine 4. They come out perfect unlike DAZ figures that have a lot of textures missing
    when exporting them and you cant export a Pose. I only work with DAZ now and would like to add the
    figures i can create in CC3. 

edited to fix quote

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • magnabobmagnabob Posts: 14

There's probably a thousand reasons why I'd want to pull a CC3 into Daz but I'll just mention: Lights. Daz has more and far better than cc3. The DAZ iray engine also seems to produce better results than the CC3 plugin. Thus far, I have been unsuccesful getting a cc3 figure into DAZ. The FBX for maya export produces a figure with missing and wrongly attached bones. I'm going to experiment with some of the other options and see what I can do but right now I figure it's just another misleading claim by Real Illusion which is working its way up toward Adobe level deceptive products.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited March 2021

One way to do that would be to :

- Be sure that all your apps units are set to 1cm = 1unit

- Export a human custom morph as FBX from Character Creator

- From DAZ, Load a G8 male or female and File > Send to ZBrush (Base resolution)

- Now in ZBrush you have the Base DAZ G8. Load the CC3 exported FBX 

- Use ZWrap to set points on both meshes so that the DAZ mesh takes the shape of the CC3 Mesh. 

- Once the wrapping is done, use GoZ in ZBrush to send back the G8 now morphed.

And there you go. You have a G8 morphed into a CC3 character, already rigged and useable. 

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • hansolocambo said:

One way to do that would be to :

- Be sure that all your apps units are set to 1cm = 1unit

- Export a human mesh as FBX from Character Creator

- From DAZ, Load a G8 male or female and File > Send to ZBrush (Base resolution)

- Now in ZBrush you have the Base DAZ G8. Load the CC3 exported FBX 

- Use ZWrap to set points on both meshes so that the DAZ mesh takes the shape of the CC3 Mesh. 

- Once the wrapping is done, use GoZ in ZBrush to send back the G8 now morphed.

And there you go. You have a G8 morphed into a CC3 character, already rigged and useable. 

Do bear in mind that the original shape belongs to the creator/reallusion - whether doing this may or may not produce something usable in the desired manner depends on the license terms.

Also bear in mind that, as with any morph, soem rigging adjustment may be needed.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited March 2021

the original shape belongs to

If the shape is made within Character Creator (CC3) because for some reason someone prefers to build patiently from head to toes his body shape using this app, and then the Genesis 8 wireframe is wrapped around that CC3 shape and brought as a morph into DAZ, there's 0 shape that belongs to nobody else than the one who made it. An umpteenth Genesis 8 body morph, done with ZBrush, Character Creator, or DAZ is just and umpteenth morph made by a user who owns and therefore has the right to use all those apps to reach his artistic aim. 

Whether someone makes a DAZ custom morph with ZBrush (which also provides already made human bodies that G8 could be wrapped around), CC3, Poser, etc. doesn't matter. At the end it will just be a Genesis 8 with a shape done thanks to a third party tool. If all those marvelous 3D apps available export as fbx, obj, etc. it's pretty much because developpers want to be a part of every artist's workflow. An application that would be too exclusive and would refuse to offer export formats compatible with the rest of the 3D world would be doomed to disappear.

The shape of the base mesh once customized does not "belong" to reallusion, it belongs to the artist who makes it. Reallusion did not develop a tool, 3D real-time oriented, to prevent people from using their morphs anywhere else than inside CC3. The very purpose of such human shape apps, is for people to export their custom humans and do whatever they want with them : a game, an anatomy course, a short film, a DAZ morph, anything.

There's not always a copyright on every step of our workflows ;)

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • hansolocambo said:

the original shape belongs to

If the shape is made within Character Creator (CC3) because for some reason someone prefers to build patiently from head to toes his body shape using this app, and then the Genesis 8 wireframe is wrapped around that CC3 shape and brought as a morph into DAZ, there's 0 shape that belongs to nobody else than the one who made it. An umpteenth Genesis 8 body morph, done with ZBrush, Character Creator, or DAZ is just and umpteenth morph made by a user who owns and therefore has the right to use all those apps to reach his artistic aim. 

Whether someone makes a DAZ custom morph with ZBrush (which also provides already made human bodies that G8 could be wrapped around), CC3, Poser, etc. doesn't matter. At the end it will just be a Genesis 8 with a shape done thanks to a third party tool. If all those marvelous 3D apps available export as fbx, obj, etc. it's pretty much because developpers want to be a part of every artist's workflow. An application that would be too exclusive and would refuse to offer export formats compatible with the rest of the 3D world would be doomed to disappear.

The shape of the base mesh once customized does not "belong" to reallusion, it belongs to the artist who makes it. Reallusion did not develop a tool, 3D real-time oriented, to prevent people from using their morphs anywhere else than inside CC3. The very purpose of such human shape apps, is for people to export their custom humans and do whatever they want with them : a game, an anatomy course, a short film, a DAZ morph, anything.

There's not always a copyright on every step of our workflows ;)

It depends on how the shape is created - sculpting on the base in ZBrush or the like is fine, as is sculpting on some combination of existing morphs and using reverse deformations on import to separate out the artist's work (which si theirs for distribution as a Genesis # morph) and the other morphs (which are not and can be shared only as settings to aply the original morphs). If the CC3 character was created usign the equialent of morphs then it is derivative of those morphs and, unless the CC3 license says otherwise, is not the artist's to do with as desired.