Rig a mattress

swordvisionsswordvisions Posts: 124
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I am trying to add a simple rig to the mattress from West Legacy. I have rigged in Carrara before but it has been several years. I have created a simple skeleton, I think I did that part right but I am not sure. The bones are in the mattress but when I shift click the bones and mattress. The attach skeleton is grayed out. I guess I am missing something.

The whole point of rigging it is so that I can drape it over a something.

Comments

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited September 2013

I am trying to add a simple rig to the mattress from West Legacy. I have rigged in Carrara before but it has been several years. I have created a simple skeleton, I think I did that part right but I am not sure. The bones are in the mattress but when I shift click the bones and mattress. The attach skeleton is grayed out. I guess I am missing something.

The whole point of rigging it is so that I can drape it over a something.

I'm a complete noob but I have done what you have and it looks right. Don't know what you mean by grayed out. I don't use shift/click alone, I use Attach Skeleton from the drop down Animation menu. The dotted lines show the rig is inside the object you made. It looks attached. If you select one of the bones or a joint in the Assembly Room, then go to the Rotation Tool (third down in vertical toolbar on left) the rotation axis guides appear... drag one of them and you should see your object distort in that direction. If it's too drastic, add more bones for a gentler effect. I rigged an elephant and couldn't believe it actually worked!

If this advice is wrong or needs more info... someone please help. I just wanted to give my support as this is one Carrara thing that actually works for me!

:) SileneUK

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,907
    edited December 1969

is it a figure or a prop
    needs to be a prop
    you may need to export and reimport as an obj

• swordvisionsswordvisions Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:

I'm a complete noob but I have done what you have and it looks right. Don't know what you mean by grayed out. ... SileneUK

When, I go to the drop down menu, it will not let me select Attach skeleton at all.

edited September 2013

is it a figure or a prop
    needs to be a prop
    you may need to export and reimport as an obj

That could be it. I will try that. This is the first time I tried to rig purchased content

Post edited by swordvisions on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited December 1969

I don't have the mattress from West Legacy. I tried to duplicate your problem with DAZ props that I do have. So far, I have been able to rig various props of similar shape using bones. So, just a couple of long shots...
    - check the directional cameras (left, top, front) to make sure the bones are inside the mattress when viewed from every angle
    - make sure that the mattress really is a prop, and is not already a figure

edited September 2013

It looks like it was a figure. I imported the obj file and did not have any problems attaching the skeleton. Thanks Everyone. I knew it had to be something simple that I just overlooked

Now I have to add back the textures but here is what I was going for

matress.jpg
    640 x 480 - 11K
    Post edited by swordvisions on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

Entry for the Turner Prize? (just kidding!) Good luck.

:) SileneUK