Carrara Challenge 45: Extinction and De-extinction! Less than two days to go!

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

I used to think as a little kid they stuffed real people 

I've seen at least three versions of "The House of Wax."  I still think they stuff real people.

- Early thirties version with Fay Way.  Yup, King Kong's crush.

- Vincent Price version designed for 3D glasses.

- Early 2000s version with Elisha Cuthbert (hubba,hubba)

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited February 2019

A last bit of Cretacous advice

This is my variation on an old theme.  Most everything in the render is native to Carrara.

The main characters are Vyusur's Dino.  The minor character is the Daz Pteranodon.

Native Carrara processes include realistic sky, terrain, vertex modeler, text, fire, clouds, and trees.  Filters were GMIC and Toon3.

No postwork.

Dino toon 3.png
    1600 x 1051 - 1M
    Dino cartoon setup.JPG
    1602 x 814 - 156K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

UB - good humor.  Really like the clean look. Did you play with the sky colors in the realistic sky modeler, or is it a preset, or did it result from the filters?  In any case, looks great.

• Thanks Diomede.  As you know, sky color, and cloud color, and contrast in GMIC, and Toon3, all interact and affect each other in sometimes weird ways.  I think that the gradient affect in the sky (if that is what you are mostly asking about) resulted from adding contrast to the default sky settings (except global brightness was at 256), and trying out various sky colors.  Not much innovation on my part, but time-consuming.

For the cleanest toon look, I usually load Toon3 first before adding any other filters.

I really like the npr effect in your Carthage render!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

This is my variation on an old theme.  Most everything in the render is native to Carrara.

The main characters are Vyusur's Dino.  The minor character is the Daz Pteranodon.

Native Carrara processes include realistic sky, terrain, vertex modeler, text, fire, clouds, and trees.  Filters were GMIC and Toon3.

No postwork.

ha ha I laughed out loud :) Crack up. Amazing style you have come up with - i would never have guessed Carrara could do this - congrats :)

thanks Dioemed, et Bunyip 02 :) Wendy, me too! Cant truist anyone.

Figure is Rawart? with a few custom tweaks - retextured the body and head to add grime, hair is three or four different lots of carrara hair, the garment is a tunic retextured, plus has an alpha map to add the raggedy bits and remove one shoulder and arm, then VWD cloth sim to get it to sit, extra raggedy bits around the edges added with liquify too lin affinity pro 

eye lights hand painted makes a big difference to making character come alive 

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,981
    Tynkere said:

Thanks for all the kind replies and encouragement.  Not easy going up against all you experienced users but still fun.

So I guess that’s it for this one.  Obviously I added a little suburb for a discussion starter & perspective.  People need affordable housing; critters need safe places, and trees are good CO2 scrubbers.  Where to we draw the proverbial line so to speak?

Meanwhile, picked up “Jane & John” so that should keep me busy for a while.

Very Good     _and the Title is ??

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,981

No postwork.

Very well done     yes

edited February 2019

quick play with k4 and carrara hair

Untitled-1.jpg
    2425 x 1377 - 478K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,686

No postwork.

Very nice, was going to do a similar scene initially but with a T-Rex & Triceratops fighting as doom hurtled down - but went with a Koala & Tassie Tiger renders instead.

quick play with k4 and carrara hair

Is this the kid looking at the Neanderthal ? Nice whiskers btw.

• HW, ed3D, and Bunyip02 - thanks a bunch for the nice comments!

Bunyip, very nice sheep and robot render.  Each version looks better.

HW, much appreciated!  I lack some of those tools, but it is helpful to see the effort that goes into making such a great render.  No magic IRAY button, for sure.

The term that confused me was "tone map adjustment," and similar comments.  I did some searches, and now it it clearer.

Is tone mapping in Affinity superior to PSE?

I think you probably know by now from the answers that it isn't available in PSE.. but Affinity does have it and also HDRI import/export as well, as HW mentioned as well as some other cool stuff so it is a handy piece of software to have along side of PSE and is half the price of PSE as well which is good smiley

thanks for your comments on my image as well... missed it first time round ..

Yes, I think that Aurora used to make a tone map plugin for PSE, but now it looks like more of a standalone product.  And it is expensive.

PSE cost me $60 US (on sale).  If you can tell me where I can find Affinity for $30, I may go ahead and get it. smiley

Happy you saw my comments on your render.  Amazing stuff.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,799

No postwork.

love your quirky toons style... great stuff... yes

as for Affinity maybe when your black friday sales come around would be the best opportunity to grab it. I wish we could get PSE for $60 on sale... it's never on sale for Australians for some reason. angry

• Thanks, Stezza.  I was kind of being facetious about getting Affinity.  It sounds like a worthwhile purchase, but I'm barely working in Carrara at the moment.  For NPR in particular, I look forward to Affinity, Topaz, DAP, and some of that Panos goodness.smiley

edited February 2019

Quickie post big storm here  1930's man - extinct

Lots of tone mapping to bring out the photodonut pencil work - two custom PD filters combined 

Image may contain: 1 person

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited February 2019

I will try to do something to participate this time...

A first shot with the Mageremoto's Polard land.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/44/9054f0a51638cfed028b2cbfabd2fa.jpg

Grrr... I don't remember how to show the image in a full size!angry

Polard land.jpg
    4000 x 2250 - 4M
    Post edited by DUDU on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    DUDU said:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/44/9054f0a51638cfed028b2cbfabd2fa.jpg

click on the thumbnail to show the image full size,  right click on that and select copy image location,  then use the picture tool to add it into the post. 

edited February 2019

Dudu - so glad you will be joining in.  Your disaster animations are inspirational.  Lookng forward to your entry.

Headwax - monkey in a suit looks like several of my former bosses (we tease because we love).  1930s man looks amazing!  Love how you incorporate texture in your art.

Two-Step Approach - as per the PhilW introductory videos, with my own twists

This is step one.  I rendered a landscape to be the background.  Lots of replicators as trees, shrubs, and grass. Some hair as grass.  A distribution map to keep the garden clear for now - will be filled in step 2.

For step two, I will be inserting this render in the background.  I saved the original terrain (at lower resolution to save memory).  The original terrain, but not all the replicators, gets loaded in step two and its shader is changed to a shadow catcher.  I will be adding a few Clovis hunters and maize farmers in step two.  For now, here is step two with a tomato plant and a pumpkin. Hopefully, you can see that using the original distant light and terrain as shadow catchers matches the tomato plant shadow to the rest of the scene.

Detail on current progress.

For step one, I used methods similar to those I've discussed in other challenges to create the landscape.  There are actually three terrain objects used to create the background landscape.  One is the land.  One is the stream surface.  One is the stream bed. The terrain is created with a heightmap in my image editor that includes a valley in which a river or stream might flow.  The image editor also has a gradient function so I can make sure closer to the camera is downhill and further is uphill.  An erosion filter is applied to that landscape for rain., which reinforces the natural valley of the stream and assures that water flows downhill. The terrain is duplicated twice.  One duplicate will be the land.  I import another heightmap that is all white except wherethe stream runs, where it is black.  Set the height small, just a few feet for the depth of the stream.  If you apply a land shader to this copy, and a water shader to the original, then raise the original a foot or two, you will have your river. Again, making sure the river flows downhill is a matter of planning, but is not difficult.     

Extraneous background:
    In my mind, I am picturing parts of ancient North America with women carving out a garden while men holding Clovis-pointed spears carry a giant mammal to camp.  Would portray several ways that human technology and practices affected the larger environment. Many large mammal species became extinct at roughly the same time that North Americans used Clovis pointed spears, although there is debate about actual causes.  The cultivation of the "three sisters" of maize, squash, and beans probably occurred much later than Clovis point folks, but artistic license and all that.

Credits 

Many of the plants and rocks are from various vendors, although many are my own.  The very distant are blocks rom Dartanbeck's woodland set for Carrara. Some individual plants that are replicated are from Lisa's botancals (Daz/Poser), Traveler (RDNA - may have transferred to Daz store), Mike Moir, and Howie Farkes.

00 Composited Neolithic Garden.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 868K
    aa01 scene setup lots of replicators.JPG
    1893 x 1036 - 697K
    aa03 scene with tomato pumpkin and terrain as shadow catcher.jpg
    640 x 480 - 50K
    insert shadow catcher b.jpg
    1641 x 894 - 234K
    Post edited by Diomede on

awesome works as usual by everyone... really is very informative and enlightening watching this thread..

TBH @Diomede_Carrara I thought that was going to be a grave site... angel

yesyesyes

DUDU said:

Great to see you aboard Dudu, love the render and concept - 

Thanks for helping out Chohole

!

Bunyipo2 sorry just saw your comment - great idea to have the monkey as the kid in the museum!!

Dioemede - thanks you.

Looking forward to seeing where you take that landscape - great start!!

edited February 2019

Three Extinct Homo's - (From left to right) Homo Neanderthalensis, Homo 1930's Businessman and Homo Erectus.

Very dangerous being 'almost' human.

ThreeExctincto_ColorSmaller.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M

Headwax - Very nice extinct composition, looking forward to the monkey render

Dudu - great take on the polar environment

Diomede - hope that garden keeps growing, looking excellent so far.

edited February 2019

Thanks Bunyip02, this is what I came up with :) The lead story says it all. Not sure wether to go with black and white or colour - suggestions welcome

PDF attached in case the images vanish

Image may contain: people sitting and indoor

Image may contain: people sitting

pdf
    pdf
    daz3d_com.pdf
    7M

that kid.. lol .... little bugger!

these are so totally awesome in so many ways... the apes one reminds of 'the Umbrella Academy'  yes

Thanks Stezza - yes k4 has a lot to answer for :)

edited February 2019

Thanks Bunyip02, this is what I came up with :) The lead story says it all. Not sure wether to go with black and white or colour - suggestions welcome

PDF attached in case the images vanish

Image may contain: people sitting and indoor

Image may contain: people sitting

Planet of the monkeys.... Great render !!!

PS I like the colour version.

Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Thank you Bunyip02!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited February 2019

Nice work everybody!

Here is a second shot for my project.

I have a few difficulties to make a realistic blood in the snow but it's a work in progress.

Thank you Pam for your explanation (one more time...) to show the image in full size, we must also set a maximum of 800 to keep the good proportions.

Polard land.jpg
    4000 x 2250 - 5M
    Post edited by DUDU on

Wonderful image Dudu, very poignant. It has narrative and emotion. Whole composition is singing.

Blood looks fine! Mayne a bit more perhaps ? Best to do it in post sometimes - depending on your personal beleifes re post work.