Carrara Challenge 45: Extinction and De-extinction! Less than two days to go!

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802
    edited February 2019

A Giant Extinct Cow Is Being Brought Back to Life. Scientists are currently applying back-breeding genetic techniques to modern cows containing applicable DNA in order to restore the auroch — a massive bovine renowned in ancient history. The auroch is the ancestor of modern domesticated species of zebu and taurine cows.

Increasing carbon dioxide levels may be making milkweed—the only food monarch caterpillars will eat—too toxic for the monarchs to tolerate. And higher temperatures may also be driving summer breeding areas further north. That means the monarchs’ migration routes will get longer and therefore more difficult.

Honey bees are going extinct because of excessive use of pesticides in crops and certain blood-sucking parasites that only reproduce in bee colonies. It's true that the extinction of bees would mean the end of humanity.

Actually, chocolate milk can come from any kind of dairy cow. Brown cows make the same kind of milk as black and white Holstein cows and reddish Devon cows. Chocolate milk gets its color and flavour from cacao beans. Cacao beans are seeds from cocoa trees.

Overexploitation was found to threaten over 70 per cent of the species we assessed while agricultural activity threatens over 60 per cent of the species.

So overexploitation includes hunting, logging, fishing and the gathering of plants.

Milk and Honey and Butterflies.png
    1000 x 750 - 1M
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821
    edited February 2019

milkweed asclepia is a noxious pest here, I learnt that wanting some so I could get monarch butterflies laying eggs in my yard, they are introduced too.

They have pretty tiger striped catapillars too.

as a kid let them pupate and hatch/emerge as butterflies 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited February 2019

I remember seeing the monarch in my mum's garden when I was a kid... can't really say or remember seeing one since then.. 

the white butterflies must of all hatched out last week as there where bunches of them ( 100's ) every so often along the road. I think they were also introduced... 

Post edited by Stezza on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821
    edited February 2019

I remember seeing the monarch in my mum's garden when I was a kid... can't really say or remember seeing one since then.. 

the white butterflies must of all hatched out last week as there where bunches of them ( 100's ) every so often along the road. I think they were also introduced... 

ah the cabbage moths with the furry black caterpillars

if get too many I use dipel but don't like to if not needed

I like the black and white citrus butterflies their grubs only eat bits of the leaves not the oranges and lemons and don't do amy damage to the tree so am happy to let them be.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496

Speaking of cows and pesticides, here's something we discussed in class. Maybe it'll inspire.

docx
    docx
    Food Inc. Summary.docx
    edited February 2019

I has no idea what to do with my brain...can I borrow yours?

Doc2.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 318K
    Post edited by VIArts on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,699
    edited February 2019

Very nice Bunyip02, much more Drama!! I wonder what would happen if you cranked up the caustics and dropped in a little fresnel???? Thank you for the kind comment too.

UB yes great brains think alike !!!! I would still go with bees if I were you and Dioemede! Mine is just a filler image (I wont be doing bees) , I was attracted to the weird masks and an attempt to Bregulise a work  but stuffed them up ha ha :)

Mystarra lookg forward to your dinasaur rebellion :)

dna and amber comes to mind :)

Added a few details including caustics for the containers, might experiment further.

Cloned Sheep 1b.png
    2400 x 1800 - 3M
    Cloned Sheep 1d.png
    2400 x 1800 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081

Excellent updates, folks. 

MAJourney, you wouldn't want to borrow my brain, but fortunately, the one you rendered is looking great.  I like it.  Thanks for the class notes.  It is helping me get my thinking cap on.

Stezza, LMAO over the cow!  Sockratease would be so happy.  Lots of great extra touches, as always.

Bunyip, nice details, keeps getting better and better.  Maybe add some very low level interior tube lights that just illuminate Dolly?  Or ignore, not sure that is a good idea.

edited February 2019

Speaking of class notes, here is a quote from the very dark recesses of my brain from long time ago in a Catholic school far, far, away.

Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

Or, more commonly, Carthago Delenda Est.

Cato is saying Carthage must be destroyed.

Poser has been in the news because of a recent update and new base figure.  This image was done with the Poser 7 Simon figure and the world leaders clothing set.  Postwork with filter forge.

The Poser 7 figures' rigging are compatible with Carrara.  They are called Simon and Sidney, and as a source of confusion with Daz gnesis 2, together are called the G2 figures.  The Poser G2 figures were released before the Daz Genesis 2.

Carthage 05 composite fix.jpg
    1200 x 1396 - 685K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited February 2019

Here is a WIP in building the scene and the straight render.  Very simple.  Walls, column, table, and map are just primitives.  One set of lights only lit up the figures.  Another set of lights only lit up the walls, etc.   The top brush on the soldier's helmet is Carrara hair grown on the helmet prop.

Hopefully, my artistic blockage is over.

aa01 scene setup.JPG
    1745 x 949 - 144K
    Carthage 01.png
    1200 x 1396 - 2M
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited March 2019

Thanks for all the kind replies and encouragement.  Not easy going up against all you experienced users but still fun.

So I guess that’s it for this one.  Obviously I added a little suburb for a discussion starter & perspective.  People need affordable housing; critters need safe places, and trees are good CO2 scrubbers.  Where to we draw the proverbial line so to speak?

Meanwhile, picked up “Jane & John” so that should keep me busy for a while.

Edit: March 13

@ed3D had asked about and suggested a title.

Teamwork.  “Extinct Vehicle” it is then.  Thank you for taking an interest! :)

Big-Yellow-Taxi-edit.png
    1300 x 975 - 2M
    Post edited by Tynkere on
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited February 2019

@MAJourney

Brain as endangered organ in college.  We had three hour marathon classes in grad school: 6PM to 9PM.  90 minute break and all of us staggered out of class like zombies.  Not mumbling “brains” though.  

“Coffee...  Red Bull... Caffeine...”

Like the Render of brain over planet earth.  Think globally.  That’s not trying to be funny.  We have brains and we have science.  Mindless not to use them in my opinion.  

Class doc.  I thought fruit turned ‘red’ or whatever color because of gibberellins.  (Been decades)  Ehtylene gas... Will stick with ones from the garden-- even if seasonal.  : /

@Stezza

Wouldn’t have thought of 2D planes like that for dodo-rooster.  Sounds like a punk band  Clever idea & clever approach too!

Four vacuum hoses on poor cow.  No wonder she keeled over.  Interesting because at first just thought, 'cute toon' then saw those hoses and they reminded me of lampreys or something. 

@Headwax

Thanks for posting how you do much of that NPR postwork.  My photoshop-CS3 probably showing its age.  “Photo doughnut = filter forge or a plugin?  I’ve been out of the ‘tech’ loop for about 10 years.  That might as well be 100 years in tech. : /

Mendel, beekeeps & rhino-- Esp Mendel with color.  Wow.

@BunyIP02

Like the sci-fi look in the cloning lab.  Refreshing to see someone not using green glowing fluid or similar in the tanks.    

Bulldozer and Shotgun renders very effective too.  Gets the point across with minimum fuss.  No unneeded distractions.

@Diomede

Carthage is extinct-- salt and everything.  

I’d say the blockage is over.  smiley  Looking forward to seeing what you do with DNA if can solve problem.  How you guys & gals can do the ‘sketched’ NPR look is beyond me.

---
    Hopefully I haven’t left anyone’s renders out.

Best wishes on them!

Post edited by Tynkere on
    edited February 2019

MantaRay

you can grab the model from the Wacky Modeling threadsmiley

Manta Ray.png
    800 x 600 - 402K
    Post edited by Stezza on

MantaRay

Cool

Plastic pollution is also a problem

Tynkere said:

@MAJourney

Brain as endangered organ in college.  We had three hour marathon classes in grad school: 6PM to 9PM.  90 minute break and all of us staggered out of class like zombies.  Not mumbling “brains” though.  

“Coffee...  Red Bull... Caffeine...”

Like the Render of brain over planet earth.  Think globally.  That’s not trying to be funny.  We have brains and we have science.  Mindless not to use them in my opinion.  

Class doc.  I thought fruit turned ‘red’ or whatever color because of gibberellins.  (Been decades)  Ehtylene gas... Will stick with ones from the garden-- even if seasonal.  : /

@Stezza

Wouldn’t have thought of 2D planes like that for dodo-rooster.  Sounds like a punk band  Clever idea & clever approach too!

Four vacuum hoses on poor cow.  No wonder she keeled over.  Interesting because at first just thought, 'cute toon' then saw those hoses and they reminded me of lampreys or something. 

@Headwax

Thanks for posting how you do much of that NPR postwork.  My photoshop-CS3 probably showing its age.  “Photo doughnut = filter forge or a plugin?  I’ve been out of the ‘tech’ loop for about 10 years.  That might as well be 100 years in tech. : /

Mendel, beekeeps & rhino-- Esp Mendel with color.  Wow.

@BunyIP02

Like the sci-fi look in the cloning lab.  Refreshing to see someone not using green glowing fluid or similar in the tanks.    

Bulldozer and Shotgun renders very effective too.  Gets the point across with minimum fuss.  No unneeded distractions.

@Diomede

Carthage is extinct-- salt and everything.  

I’d say the blockage is over.  smiley  Looking forward to seeing what you do with DNA if can solve problem.  How you guys & gals can do the ‘sketched’ NPR look is beyond me.

---
    Hopefully I haven’t left anyone’s renders out.

Best wishes on them!

Thanks !!

For a newbie you're doing great, you can enter up to 4 times, which means lot's of practice & fun renders.

Also fun to see what everyone else comes up with, and as an added bonus there are often some very handy tips/workflows described.

Excellent updates, folks. 

MAJourney, you wouldn't want to borrow my brain, but fortunately, the one you rendered is looking great.  I like it.  Thanks for the class notes.  It is helping me get my thinking cap on.

Stezza, LMAO over the cow!  Sockratease would be so happy.  Lots of great extra touches, as always.

Bunyip, nice details, keeps getting better and better.  Maybe add some very low level interior tube lights that just illuminate Dolly?  Or ignore, not sure that is a good idea.

Will try the scene with some extra lights, although am fairly happy with the latest result that I have got.

Speaking of class notes, here is a quote from the very dark recesses of my brain from long time ago in a Catholic school far, far, away.

Poser has been in the news because of a recent update and new base figure.  This image was done with the Poser 7 Simon figure and the world leaders clothing set.  Postwork with filter forge.

The Poser 7 figures' rigging are compatible with Carrara.  They are called Simon and Sidney, and as a source of confusion with Daz gnesis 2, together are called the G2 figures.  The Poser G2 figures were released before the Daz Genesis 2.

I like what you have done with this one... really good... and Latin to boot.. brings back the memories for me also .... quote from my Latin teacher Brother Bell... "Boring stuff this" 

if only we had computers and Carrara way back then.. yes wink

LOL Tynk, are you sure you're not trying to be punny? We still have three-hour classes...with 30 minute or no breaks. Last spring, I took a three-hour no-break course about terrorism. Luckily, it was one day a weak

Nice render and nice history/language lesson !!! Glad you got your render mojo back !

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,985

Hello ed3D, Thanks

Robot is SRB 800 - https://www.daz3d.com/srb-800

Hello,  Bunyip02

you're welcome    _And thanx

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

A Giant Extinct Cow Is Being Brought Back to Life. Scientists are currently applying back-breeding genetic techniques to modern cows containing applicable DNA in order to restore the auroch — a massive bovine renowned in ancient history. The auroch is the ancestor of modern domesticated species of zebu and taurine cows.

Increasing carbon dioxide levels may be making milkweed—the only food monarch caterpillars will eat—too toxic for the monarchs to tolerate. And higher temperatures may also be driving summer breeding areas further north. That means the monarchs’ migration routes will get longer and therefore more difficult.

Honey bees are going extinct because of excessive use of pesticides in crops and certain blood-sucking parasites that only reproduce in bee colonies. It's true that the extinction of bees would mean the end of humanity.

Actually, chocolate milk can come from any kind of dairy cow. Brown cows make the same kind of milk as black and white Holstein cows and reddish Devon cows. Chocolate milk gets its color and flavour from cacao beans. Cacao beans are seeds from cocoa trees.

Overexploitation was found to threaten over 70 per cent of the species we assessed while agricultural activity threatens over 60 per cent of the species.

So overexploitation includes hunting, logging, fishing and the gathering of plants.

Oh I say Stezza, that cow in extacy is verging on not safe for work - what a terrific composition and idea and bunch of poses :)

MAJourney said:

I has no idea what to do with my brain...can I borrow yours?

Mine is in a jar on the mantlepeace :) I like where this is going, the concept is getting there !

Very nice Bunyip02, much more Drama!! I wonder what would happen if you cranked up the caustics and dropped in a little fresnel???? Thank you for the kind comment too.

UB yes great brains think alike !!!! I would still go with bees if I were you and Dioemede! Mine is just a filler image (I wont be doing bees) , I was attracted to the weird masks and an attempt to Bregulise a work  but stuffed them up ha ha :)

Mystarra lookg forward to your dinasaur rebellion :)

dna and amber comes to mind :)

Added a few details including caustics for the containers, might experiment further.

Lighting is much better! How about some sparkley bits

pretending to be led's in those instrument racks ? :)

wow Ted, this is a beauty. Reminds me of elizabeth taylor's husband in the taming of the shrew - strong composition - the semi NPR effect is very er effective :) What did you use if you dont mind me asking?

Tynkere said:

Thanks for all the kind replies and encouragement.  Not easy going up against all you experienced users but still fun.

So I guess that’s it for this one.  Obviously I added a little suburb for a discussion starter & perspective.  People need affordable housing; critters need safe places, and trees are good CO2 scrubbers.  Where to we draw the proverbial line so to speak?

Meanwhile, picked up “Jane & John” so that should keep me busy for a while.

adding the extra details adds depth - good choice - it's all about convincing the viwer and adding to the narrative - where do we stop, never - is an image ever finished - never - we just abandon things and moveonto the next :)

MantaRay

stezza , saw this on face book, it's very professional, it would sell the idea I think so well

edited February 2019

I always have trouble spelling Neanderthal - think I might put him a museum with a little boy staring at him 

neanderthal.jpg
    2844 x 4000 - 3M
    Post edited by Headwax on

I always have trouble spelling Neanderthal - think I might put him a museum with a little boy staring at him 

Looking great !!!

- Andrew, the Neanderthal looks excellent.  The face is very close to the version in the museum I visited.  Wow.

- Bruce, tractor image has lots of great details to explore.  I love that approach, although I hope the kid does not find the gas pedal.

- Dave, thanks for the manta Ray model.  First class.  Sad that coral reefs are under threat from rising seas.

Thanks for the comments on mine.  Much appreciated.  Regarding the questions on its NPR look, the base is the straight render.  Significant altering by multiplying the Carrara shadow pass and mixing in the Filter Forge aquarelle filter, although I used the eraser to exclude stuff, and the alteration effects were set significantly below 100 percent.  For example, I excluded the speaker’s eyes from multiplying the shadow pass by using the eraser, otherwise, the edit would have significantly darkened the eyes, which I didn’t want.  Minor alterations with other Carrara multi passes and filter forge filters.  I suppose one could get a similar effect by experimenting with several GMIC filters that can be used with Philemo’s plugin, but I’m not sure how you’d protect the eyes from being overshadowed (maybe add more dedicated scene lights?)  As always, suggestions welcome.

Still giving thought to the concept of de-extinction.  

• I used to think as a little kid they stuffed real people