Is anyone else having trouble with the most recent Nvidia driver?

Not only am I rendering much slower, I'm getting a very fine colored noise all over my images. It's driving me insane really...I'm having trouble getting out any renders because of it. Just wondered if anyone else was having the issue. I'm using the beta btw if that makes a difference.

Laurie

Comments

• AllenArt said:

Not only am I rendering much slower, I'm getting a very fine colored noise all over my images. It's driving me insane really...I'm having trouble getting out any renders because of it. Just wondered if anyone else was having the issue. I'm using the beta btw if that makes a difference.

Laurie

Yes, and unfortunately the driver released today to fix the issue with last week's is reportedly doing the same. People have rolled back to 417.x to be able to render.

• I'm using DAZ beta after just getting an RTX 2080 Ti but I think my nVidia driver is one version behind and am having no issues, and no complaints!  Can you roll it back one?  (I'm at work right now so can't check my exact NVidia version right now, but can post it later if it helps.)

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I rolled back the driver. We'll see.....lol.

Thanks folks! Was hoping it wasn't just me ;).

Laurie

• I'm sure I am using driver version 417.xx  but I also heard that the newest Nvidia driver FIXES things we want fixed, but now we're stuck waiting for DAZ to update the Studio software to take advantage of those newest Nvidia updates.  Has anyone heard ANYTHING from DAZ about when they will patch/update the Studio software?  (There are probably whole threads devoted to this, but it is relevant here in this one right now.)

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,859
    Gogger said:

I'm sure I am using driver version 417.xx  but I also heard that the newest Nvidia driver FIXES things we want fixed, but now we're stuck waiting for DAZ to update the Studio software to take advantage of those newest Nvidia updates.  Has anyone heard ANYTHING from DAZ about when they will patch/update the Studio software?  (There are probably whole threads devoted to this, but it is relevant here in this one right now.)

Probably more to do with Iray or how the driver interacts with it. Nothing much Daz can do about that.

• Roll back to 417.71 that's the last known good driver.

• Gogger said:

I'm sure I am using driver version 417.xx  but I also heard that the newest Nvidia driver FIXES things we want fixed, but now we're stuck waiting for DAZ to update the Studio software to take advantage of those newest Nvidia updates.  Has anyone heard ANYTHING from DAZ about when they will patch/update the Studio software?  (There are probably whole threads devoted to this, but it is relevant here in this one right now.)

Probably more to do with Iray or how the driver interacts with it. Nothing much Daz can do about that.

I know that seems like the logical response, but I was referring to this thread. (I'm NOT a subject matter expert, mind you, but this is what I read and based my comment on)

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/308741/nvidia-has-released-optix-6-0#latest

Gogger said:
    Gogger said:

I know that seems like the logical response, but I was referring to this thread. (I'm NOT a subject matter expert, mind you, but this is what I read and based my comment on)

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/308741/nvidia-has-released-optix-6-0#latest

Yeah same thing there really. OptiX 6 has to be used by Iray, and NVIDIA needs to implement this. Daz can merely give us updated Iray quickly but they can't do the updating.

• Gogger said:
    Gogger said:

Yeah same thing there really. OptiX 6 has to be used by Iray, and NVIDIA needs to implement this. Daz can merely give us updated Iray quickly but they can't do the updating.

Ah, so what we need is the Perfect Trifecta In Our Lilfetimes (NVidia/Iray/DAZ synchronicity with joy throughout the land). Oh well, as long as my RTX is currently rendering in GPU I will wait patiently. If someday it stops I'll squawk loudly, but if suddenly it kicks into turbo overdrive I will rejoice.  For now with the new card an image begins to show up within 20 seconds in the preview window (set to IRAY) and renders faster, as well as NOT bringing my system to its knees when a render is going on.  All WINS in my book!  

Do you know if there could be significant enough updates to either Iray or NVidia's drivers that it would result in DAZ needing to make an update, or is Studio isolated from that? Across the forum, and based on your comments, I'm seeing everything from "Yes, absolutely" to "No, No way!".  (And I'm talking in the realm of historical precedent, not the realm of possibility like in a low-budget sci-fi film - HA HA)  

Gogger said:
    Gogger said:
    Gogger said:

Ah, so what we need is the Perfect Trifecta In Our Lilfetimes (NVidia/Iray/DAZ synchronicity with joy throughout the land). Oh well, as long as my RTX is currently rendering in GPU I will wait patiently. If someday it stops I'll squawk loudly, but if suddenly it kicks into turbo overdrive I will rejoice.  For now with the new card an image begins to show up within 20 seconds in the preview window (set to IRAY) and renders faster, as well as NOT bringing my system to its knees when a render is going on.  All WINS in my book!  

Do you know if there could be significant enough updates to either Iray or NVidia's drivers that it would result in DAZ needing to make an update, or is Studio isolated from that? Across the forum, and based on your comments, I'm seeing everything from "Yes, absolutely" to "No, No way!".  (And I'm talking in the realm of historical precedent, not the realm of possibility like in a low-budget sci-fi film - HA HA)  

I don't think so but I could be wrong of course. I have no special insider knowledge. I just know that Iray is developed by NVIDIA and Daz made the plugin for Daz Studio that merely talks to Iray. You know, basic stuff like some exposed render settings that we need to be able to set as users. Tell Iray to do this or do that. So whatever changes in Iray may need new options to be exposed or removed or whatever. I'd be surprised if this would be a major effort for Daz.

Worst case I guess a new Iray would require the Daz plugin to talk to it in fundamentally different ways. I don't see why this would be the case though. There's no logical reason to me. Coders of Iray I'm sure would see too it that the exposed parts remain the same so that all the plugin developers won't have to rewrite everything. Something like added speed for raytracing would presumably happen entirely in the guts of Iray.

• Umm dumb question but how do I find out what version of Nividia driver I have. I just got my first pc with a Nividia graphics card.

Umm dumb question but how do I find out what version of Nividia driver I have. I just got my first pc with a Nividia graphics card.

Right-click on desktop > NVIDIA Control Panel

at the top click Help > System Information

• Umm dumb question but how do I find out what version of Nividia driver I have. I just got my first pc with a Nividia graphics card.

Right-click on desktop > NVIDIA Control Panel

at the top click Help > System Information

I find that Nvidia System Information tab to be VERY USEFUL for far more than just Nvidia info - lots of good general system info there too!  And you can save it out as a txt file. 

Octane broke too with the latest drivers apparently smiley

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited February 2019

My daz studio has slowed to an inhumane crawl. Its now like twice as long to render than it used to be. I will try rolling back, and see if it helps.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

I’m so glad I read this thread. Studio had become unusable at the speeds I was getting. I now rolled back the driver and it’s back to normal. 

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,116

Good to know, I won't update my drivers for now then! ^^

• E-ArkhamE-Arkham Posts: 733

I'm so glad I saw this.  I'm always a few drivers behind on purpose and was literally just about to update them.

Incidently I had an issue yesterday where every render except the absolute smallest (as in total texture memory < 10 MB) was being kicked to the CPU, even after restarting Daz.  Restarting my computer fixed it, so I'm guessing there was something cached badly on the GPU memory... which is what prompted me to think "oh, I should update drivers."  Hah, whew.

• evacynevacyn Posts: 950

Glad I saw this too. I upgraded to the 418.x drivers a week ago and wondered why my 1080tis were chugging along. Rolled back to the 417 drivers, and all is good. Thank you! :)

• kmorris1@oh.rr.com[email protected] Posts: 1,106
    edited February 2019

I think it might be related to the card you have. I have 418.81 installed and Iray renders fine for me. Not sure if I should wait on the new update, since people are having issues. But I just did a render and it was as fast as normal and there were no errors that I am aware of.

I have a GTX 1080.

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

I think you're confusing GPU drivers and Iray software. Studio doesn't need any updating to use Nvidia drivers. Updated Iray software /routines is in the Studio Beta. All Nvidia drivers are compatible with Iray, except of course when they're buggy (which is a usual case with a new GPU driver).

Gogger said:

• Has this thing been fixed?

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,183

Someone in the NVIDIA forum quietly said a "hotfix driver coming soon". What is soon? Could be a couple of days, but then I'll let someone else try it first. I'm getting to old for this kind of silliness. That's twice they dropped the ball in less than two weeks. Not so good for their credibility. Third time's the charm? 

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited February 2019

I'm very bad at updating drivers but as (bad) luck would have it I happened to do so last night before reading this thread. The driver is 418.91 released 3 days ago (and is still the latest). On a simple test scene I got 45 iterations in 4m 30s (0%), which is of course appalling.  Reinstalled with 417.71 and that scene rendered fully in 5m 30s with 820 iterations. My previous driver hadn't been updated since May 2018. I guess it's a matter of if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edit to add: it's a GeForce 980 Ti.

Post edited by Hiro Protagonist on