NVIDIA has released Optix 6.0

RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
edited February 2019 in Daz Studio Discussion

NVIDIA has released Optix 6.0, which includes:

Release Highlights NVIDIA® OptiX™ 6.0.0 (Feb 2019)

The much anticipated OptiX 6 SDK release brings a giant leap in performance. This new release lets developers take advantage of the new RT Cores in Turing GPUs. RT Cores accelerate Bounding Volume Hierarchy (BVH) traversal and ray/triangle intersection testing (ray casting) functions. This version also takes advantage of Tensor Cores present on Volta and Turing GPUs to accelerate the OptiX AI Denoiser.

Improvements to 6.0.0

Please see release notes for details

• OptiX 6.0.0 fully implements RTX acceleration including:
    • Support for RT Cores on Turing RTX GPUs.
    • Separate compilation of shaders for faster startup times and updates.
    • RTX acceleration is supported on Maxwell and newer GPUs but require Turing GPUs for RT Core acceleration.
  • Multi-GPU support for scaling performance across GPUs, Mixing GPUs with RT Cores and without RT Cores is not supported.
  • Support for scaling texture memory across NVLink connected GPUs.
  • Triangle API with motion blur and attribute programs.
  • rtTrace from bindless callable programs.
  • Turing-specific optimizations for the OptiX AI denoiser.
  • Set the stack size by providing the Trace depth.
  • Take advantage of hardware-accelerated 8-bit mask.
  • General stability improvements

I've put the most interesting thing in bold.  My question is (and I'm hoping for an official response!), when will Daz be supporting it in its iRay renderer?  I've also been looking around the NVIDIA developer forum.  An interesting quote:

Just download and tried on my project. Now the 2080ti is 4 times faster than my titanV.  Compare with previous version, titanV is much faster than 2080ti.(40% around) nice work!

Post edited by Robinson on

Comments

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

Wow, very interesting, thank you!!

Can`t wait to read some RTX 2060 benchmarks!

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
    edited February 2019
    kameneko said:

The 2080Ti does around 10 Giga Rays/s.  The 2070 is around 6 Giga Rays/s and the 2060 is about 5 Giga Rays/s.  If his 2080Ti is 4 x faster than a Titan V, the 2060 will be about twice as fast as a Titan V, according to my extremely naive calculation (memory clock etc. will also make a difference).  Now to be fair that's just BVH traversal and triangle intersection testing (that may also be useful for dforce...).  There's a lot more to ray tracing, but the RTX cards can do it in parallel as the CUDA cores are presumably freed up by not having to do the BVH stuff.

I'm surprised there isn't more excitement about this.

Post edited by Robinson on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,981
    edited February 2019

While it does sound very good, my guess as to why the excitement is warm at best is, having to buy one of the new cards (not cheap) to make use of the new features, and the other is how long it would take to see it implemented into Daz Studio..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • If you want an official response, please submit a ticket as these forums are peer to peer.

• mikekmikek Posts: 192

His titan V being 40% faster with the old version seems a bit strange as it's only 17% more cores and a lower clock.

Robinson said:

Will have to wait and see how long it takes for them to implement it in Daz and how much the difference there will be before getting hyped.

mikek said:

His titan V being 40% faster with the old version seems a bit strange as it's only 17% more cores and a lower clock.

I think the point is the Titan V doesn't have any RT cores, so it's comparing RT against CUDA.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575
    mikek said:

Robinson said:

Will have to wait and see how long it takes for them to implement it in Daz and how much the difference there will be before getting hyped.

First of all, my understanding is that it would have to be implemented in Iray, which in turn would be implemented in DS.

Secondly, it is my understanding that the current implementation of Iray in DS utilizes Optix Prime, which is not the same thing.

- Greg

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Robinson said:
    kameneko said:

The 2080Ti does around 10 Giga Rays/s.  The 2070 is around 6 Giga Rays/s and the 2060 is about 5 Giga Rays/s.  If his 2080Ti is 4 x faster than a Titan V, the 2060 will be about twice as fast as a Titan V, according to my extremely naive calculation (memory clock etc. will also make a difference).  Now to be fair that's just BVH traversal and triangle intersection testing (that may also be useful for dforce...).  There's a lot more to ray tracing, but the RTX cards can do it in parallel as the CUDA cores are presumably freed up by not having to do the BVH stuff.

Excited about a hyped feature finally being released (or made possible), months after many paid for it? Nah.

I might get excited if it actually delivers the goods - whatever they may be.

RTX-accelerated ray tracing through eDrawings with NVIDIA Iray

To add to info on this, Solidworks demonstrated an RTX capable iRay beta (SOLIDWORKS Visualize), according to this NVIDIA piece

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421

The real question is when will this change be implemented into DAZ?

Robinson said:

RTX-accelerated ray tracing through eDrawings with NVIDIA Iray

To add to info on this, Solidworks demonstrated an RTX capable iRay beta (SOLIDWORKS Visualize), according to this NVIDIA piece

This is really more of what they did at the presentations way back; still lacking is people - more chanllenging I Iexpect.

Some interesting performance experiments over on the NVIDIA Optix forums: RTX ON/OFF Benchmark, Optix 6.  I'll keep posting as they appear.  I find this inflexion point in what people are going to be doing with RT technology fascinating.  Anyone remember 10 years when Intel were working on it?  There was talk of a capable card... Was BS back then wasn't it. 

That classroom thing blew me away. Enabling RTX gave the guy a 4.3x performance boost. Insane.

• Paradigm said:

That classroom thing blew me away. Enabling RTX gave the guy a 4.3x performance boost. Insane.

No. RT cores do not do shading. There is no shading in that image. There are several videos of this "visualization" render mode in betas and it is essentially a low-level IPR suitable for quick deving, not comparable to final renders. Turning back to 'shading mode' will tank you back to regular levels of performance.

It doesn't matter to Daz because Prime's API is wholly incapable of making use of the RT cores. Barring (to me unlikely) developments, Daz's IRAY will be stuck with the linear core count performance gains.

Turning back to 'shading mode' will tank you back to regular levels of performance.

I think with shading he said something like 2.5 x performance.  But I think that will improve over time as developers find a good way to parallelise the two.  Remember that if the CUDA cores aren't running (the enormous) BVH intersection programs they are free to do something else like shading.  For stills the current implementation is still pretty good but for sequences and animations the time constraint really hurts, i.e. the cost of the hardware to do that at a reasonable clip in Daz is prohibitive for hobbyists.  Maybe a content pipeline into another 3d product like Maya would be the solution here, as that's bound to support RTX sooner.

Paradigm said:

That is of course what Nvidia rely on; folks being blown away.

nicstt said:

There's also the Samsung 7nm process they're moving to over 2019.  Expect products with that in 2020.  The current RTX lineup is kind-of a stop-gap - a taster for the technology so to speak.  i.e. Ampere will replace Turing and Turing will be relatively short-lived.

• Robinson said:
    nicstt said:

There's also the Samsung 7nm process they're moving to over 2019.  Expect products with that in 2020.  The current RTX lineup is kind-of a stop-gap - a taster for the technology so to speak.  i.e. Ampere will replace Turing and Turing will be relatively short-lived.

Turing does seem to be like an RTX beta/proof of concept for Nvidia like the original Cuda core GPU's  

• wfwf Posts: 19

Used a 2080 Ti and Unreal Engine 4.22 for some weeks now. It's really impressive stuff but the hybrid rendering is outstanding where you can have classic rasterization with raytraced shadow, ambient occlusion and reflection. Hope this tech is going to be implemented in Daz3D as well. :)

wf said:

Used a 2080 Ti and Unreal Engine 4.22 for some weeks now. It's really impressive stuff but the hybrid rendering is outstanding where you can have classic rasterization with raytraced shadow, ambient occlusion and reflection. Hope this tech is going to be implemented in Daz3D as well. :)

I just installed UE4 for the first time last night to try this tech out myself. Looking forward to playing around with it. 

Robinson said:
    nicstt said:

Indeed.

I waited for 1080ti, then decided to wait some more; I'm waiting even longer and finding my 980ti is ok, and my money much better in my bank than nvidia's. :)

Some new benches.  Octanebench shows up nearly 3x faster with RT enabled.

• LCJDLCJD Posts: 13

DAZ Studio don't use OPTIX, but OPTIX Prime wich is not the same things !

Even with the last BETA update (4.11.0.335), DAZ Studio still use OPTIX Prime 5.0.1 even if you install OPTIX 6.0. This is why RTX are not support with OPTIX Prime enable.

When did they decide to update Optix Prime ? Don't know... Hope soon because it's really promized !!

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118
    Robinson said:

Some new benches.  Octanebench shows up nearly 3x faster with RT enabled.

Wow!!! :O

I can't wait to get a RTX card and for Ray Tracing to be implemented in Daz! :D

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

Why didnt I go into bank robbing instead of construction lol