Carrara Challenge 45: Extinction and De-extinction! Less than two days to go!

Comments

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

You don't know what you've got till it's gone . . .

Is it really that long ago? Mind you, the Boeing 747 turned 50 yesterday, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

I've titled this one

Extinction and De-extinction

took me ages to think of that.

well I go away for two days and look what happens! an explosion of creativity.

Brilliant idea the narrative is Stezza - in this case words speak as much as pictures - what software are you using ?- the speech bubbles out of the frames add a lot of dynamics

(on hands and knees, praying)

Please don't go extict! Please!

nopt a chance Dart !

brilliant capture of the Australian landscape Bunyip02you are heading towarsd a destinction ;)

edited February 2019

Alien cloning centre

Moved Mike forward

I think this concept with its dramatic  lighting is shaping up superbly 

Oh, I wish I had time to enter this one!  I would be following a theme that a British author has taken in a first book in her series.  If you are interested in post apocolyptic sagas where 'we' have 'kililed' the earth, it's an interesting concept that re-engineered humans, who are smarter and stronger, take over running the world and bring back extinct species and people. But they have their faults, too! On Amazon.

smiley Silene 

Hey Silene, no excuses! I think  with your interest in Neanderthals etc that the topic fits like a glove on you. Thanks for the reference ;)

Tynkere said:

Interesting how people are doing different takes on theme.  I'd have never come up with post apocolyptic but makes sense if we don't do anything about CO2...

Been looking for a good read and hate picking out a book only to find it's #3 in a series.  Start at beginning on this one!

Anyway to topic:

Concept art for now.  (Obviously needs *lots* work.) 

Hill country in central Texas is only nesting habitat in the world for a handsome little fellow called the Golden Cheeked Warbler.

Conservation groups won a court victory just last week against State of Texas.  Our esteemed attorney general  wanted to open up its protected habitat for developers.  (The state had argued the endangered species act was government overreach, species no longer endangered, etc.)

https://travisaudubon.org/uncategorized/texas-judge-upholds-endangered-species-act-protections-for-golden-cheeked-warbler

Don’t have bulldozer prop, so used “road roller.”  For some reason, it reminded me of an old Joni Mitchell song.

“They paved paradise and put up a parking lot... ”

So I’m calling it “Big Yellow Taxi”

Joni released that 49 years ago and still holds true in my opinion.

Thankfully not for our fine feathered friends here in central Texas.  laugh

----

--Bruce

Nice, I think the metaphor adds a different level, makes us think because it is alluding to something outside the image (The song.). It's like adding a quote from Shakespeare to the preface of a novel - it adds gravitas or comedy = depending on what you a re quoting of course!

Post edited by Headwax on
    MAJourney said:

What's the Carrara feature requirement, boss? lol

Sorry missed this! No requirement to use any particular part of Carrara - I can see a lot of uses for hair though ;)

Tynkere said:

Amphibians on the decline in the states-- some think because of water pollution.  That would count?

Great topic and maybe fun way to learn how to make grass, instance it, etc.

Chuckle.  Software in a box, paperclips, floppies or even DVDs.  Endangered. 

Usermanuals printed on tree paper by software companies.  Probably extinct. : 0 !

Hey Bruce, love lateral thinking - yes anything counts as fare as you can link it to the subject! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801
    edited February 2019

I gave the cube another boolean operation bringing the total to nine booleans performed!

and then coloured them smiley

once you start boleeeaning you just can't stop

as well as the 3.5" floppy I thought I'd model a booleaned 5.25" floppy and then I modeled a cassette tape which was also booleaned along with the dreaded tape tangle!

Floppies tapes and Clippy coloured.png
    800 x 600 - 250K
    Post edited by Stezza on

I gave the cube another boolean operation bringing the total to nine booleans performed!

and then coloured them smiley

once you start boleeeaning you just can't stop

as well as the 3.5" floppy I thought I'd model a booleaned 5.25" floppy and then I modeled a cassette tape which was also booleaned along with the dreaded tape tangle!

Ah I am so slow, I dint get the extinction reference at first!! Gee you must be as old as me - is thereb an eight track and a tape to tape deck on the list? :)

nice woprk with the tangled tape

edited February 2019

I think you may be a year or two older than me.... lol

The booleans operations leaves the mesh messy as shown but does do the job quite good.. The tangled tape was the easiest of the all the modeling.. select polygons with soft selection and move them about. yes

FloppiesMesh.jpg
    1200 x 744 - 832K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited February 2019

a year older? maybe ten :)

great use of booleans, very effective

here's a guy called Gregor Mendel

His experiments on plant hybridisation led him to be known as "The Founder of the science of genetics" - one of the threads that lead to the idea of Dextinction - this time via breeding and hybridisation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Mendel

watercolourpaperedImage.jpg
    2000 x 2097 - 7M
    watercolourpaperedImage.jpg
    2000 x 2097 - 7M
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Mendel,   didn't he have Pea Plants.

Yes, initially. He later diversified ... but that's a well kept secret the history books cover up. , ! ;) 

edited February 2019

very cool HW... nice history lesson on the monk. smiley

some more modeling to finalise my image

a USB thumb drive a pencil and a CD 

USB-Pencil_CD.png
    800 x 600 - 867K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited February 2019
    Floppies tapes CD and Clippy with USB.png
    900 x 675 - 1M
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited February 2019

Y;all work fast!

Bunyip, Stezza, Bruce, and Headwax already have great images.  Amazing.

No specifics from me yet, but I will continue to share some possible inspirations.  Maybe somone else will be interested in following up on these.  I went to the local natural history museum and took some pics.  Here are a few pics of exhibits from my phone, so dont expect very high quality. 

zz01 extinction game nat history.jpg
    800 x 600 - 131K
    zz02 meet the artist homo evolution.jpg
    800 x 600 - 154K
    zz03 meet the artist homo evolution.jpg
    800 x 600 - 141K
    zz04 make art to save the ocean.jpg
    800 x 600 - 229K
    zz05 fossil.jpg
    800 x 600 - 132K
    zz06 twin species.jpg
    800 x 600 - 155K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079

Couldn't resist taking a pic of one of the exhibits related to Australia.

zz07 australia.jpg
    800 x 600 - 195K

my youngest daughter was woken the other night because of some bumps in the dark outside... when she peered through the window there was at least 50 roos resting sleeping in the front yard!

got no koalas though sad

my youngest daughter was woken the other night because of some bumps in the dark outside... when she peered through the window there was at least 50 roos resting sleeping in the front yard!

got no koalas though sad

I can lend you some possums, a few red bellies, a yellow belly tree snake and a voracious carpet python, - they live in my yard ..... not to mention the occaional land mullet and mangy fox and the visiting echidnas and goannas... 

I don't go into the yard - too dangerous :)

Y;all work fast!

Bunyip, Stezza, Bruce, and Headwax already have great images.  Amazing.

No specifics from me yet, but I will continue to share some possible inspirations.  Maybe somone else will be interested in following up on these.  I went to the local natural history museum and took some pics.  Here are a few pics of exhibits from my phone, so dont expect very high quality. 

Diomede, that's great, wonderful to do a field trip!

edited February 2019

Here's a White Rhino - heavily retextured the Daz original, added a normal map and played with Photodonut Topaz Filter Forge and affinity Photo on the result

rhinosmaller.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    rhinosmaller.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M

very cool HW... nice history lesson on the monk. smiley

some more modeling to finalise my image

a USB thumb drive a pencil and a CD 

thanks Stezza, those pencils are very John Brack :)

I can lend you some possums, a few red bellies, a yellow belly tree snake and a voracious carpet python, - they live in my yard ..... not to mention the occaional land mullet and mangy fox and the visiting echidnas and goannas... 

I don't go into the yard - too dangerous :)

no thanks.. we have enough possums fighting in the middle of the night !.. snakes keep the giant rats down and the water dragons take care of the wasps and cicadas.

love the rhino image.. top shelf stuff that..

this challenge has already cost me money! after getting one of my old tapes out for guidance I had to go onto eBay and buy a cassette to MP3 convertor... sheesh! I haven't listened to them in over 30 years.. don't even know if they will still work..

great stuff yes 

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Tries to rewind CD with pencil. . . blush

•  

The setup and textures are extraordinary.  I look at the largest size and just shake my head in wonder.  Most of us have to reduce our renders to hide the imperfections.  With yours, the bigger it gets the better it gets.  Not that I will be able to follow you, but can you provide a bit of your workflow?

Extraordinary part II. :)  Wonderful modeling and clever organization and posing.  So much going on, yet it all fits together.

You've both set the bar for this Challenge very high indeed.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

The extrinction of american justice system and medical care.  The extinction of grunge and rocck n roll. 

Mystarra said:

The extrinction of american justice system and medical care.  The extinction of grunge and rocck n roll. 

off you go!! two excitingly abstract concepts deserving to be made concrete by illustration of particular individual events that metaphorically encompass the whole ;)

edited February 2019

@UnifiedBrain saideth: 

The setup and textures are extraordinary.  I look at the largest size and just shake my head in wonder.  Most of us have to reduce our renders to hide the imperfections.  With yours, the bigger it gets the better it gets.  Not that I will be able to follow you, but can you provide a bit of your workflow?

thanks flattery will get you everywhere - here's a quick and dirty which means lots of typos - just ask which needs more explication

do base render - use camera around 110 not base 50

also do coverage diffuse shadows depth etc because you dont know what will come in handy 

fix blemishs in ps with clone brush or whatever

use topaz simplify gently - 

bring back details with eraser

paste depth pass and use screen parameter - adjust opcaity

use a tone map adjustment as found in affinity photo to add local contrast etc

use custom filter in Photodonut to give those sketchy lines

chnage the tones to brighten it up

change opacity to blend with underlying layers

Nik free filters use detail extractor and then sunlight to bring out more detail and add light

tone map again

bring in shadow pass - hit with graphic pen - in this case made it blue which was good

make this layer parameter darker colour

adjust opacity and erase where necessary

copy all layers and paste

isolate man with object pass as he is main thing - copy and paste him twice - bottom layer screen parameter - top image of man multiply parameter - erase parts of multiply paremeter to show screen parameter layer below - this gives light on his shoulder etc

adjust popacities of these two layers to suit

take image into affinity

use liquify tool in affinity to bend textures so they follow eg garment (I used vwd to drape this garment) - also to bend straight lines as we want a handrwan look

add a neutral grey layer in ps and make parameter overlay then burn in areas or lighten areas i=on this layer

use object pass to isolate those areas we want darker - in this case column on right and lattice fence on left - copy those areas paste and use multiply paremeter and adjust opacity

make watercolour paper in filter forge

copy and paste entire image in a layer above this = adjust parameter so that you can see watercolour paper

paste that imaghe again reduce opacity then erase those parts that you want to more paper textutre to show thorugh

adjust tones and saturation

graduated layer from blue to white on top of all this - make parameter multiply - ideas is to mimick japanese wood blocks where they used Prussian blue at very top to stop eye leaving composition

erase this blue where necessary 

make another copy of the man from object pass - paste this - make a leyer below that - add a light stream coming down from sky behind him to make him 'pop' slightly

General idea is to give hand drawn look - one famopus illustrator said "get the hands and face right and they will forgive you the rest"

his hands are a bit abstracted so they need work I think 

hope this makes sense :)

edited February 2019

Hi UB here is original and a bw version tone mapped in affinity pro to tweak local contrast - the hand drawn looking bits - eg sky - are from photodonut then made more extreme with tone mapping

mendelsonoriginal.jpg
    1000 x 1049 - 1M
    tonemappedliquified.jpg
    1200 x 1258 - 2M
  • HW, much appreciated!  I lack some of those tools, but it is helpful to see the effort that goes into making such a great render.  No magic IRAY button, for sure.

The term that confused me was "tone map adjustment," and similar comments.  I did some searches, and now it it clearer.

Is tone mapping in Affinity superior to PSE?

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited February 2019

Maybe..

Wish there was a good time-saving texture/shader for DAZ Brain...

Doc2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 15K
    Post edited by VIArts on