January 2019 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Composition

12346»

Comments

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648

Good luck to all and thanks for all the cool entries and insights in your works. smiley

• where do you post winners and runner ups? Also is there a gallery section with all the previous contest winners with the links/tutorials included?

• where do you post winners and runner ups? Also is there a gallery section with all the previous contest winners with the links/tutorials included?

@cheetahka_cee5351f0f They will post it here on/about the 10th of the month. AFAIK links/tutorials for the months topic are always in the first post of the thread. I believe all the "showcased" new user art is under the fourms New User Contests and Events.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/new-user-contests-and-events ;

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814

I will be posting the winners probably around the 11th or 12th. smiley

As for Previous Winners, we don't have a gallery of them but we do have 2 threads

2018 Challenge Winners: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/231556/2018-new-user-showcase-year-in-review

2017 Challenge Winners: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/147956/2017-new-user-showcase-year-in-review

January 2019

Showcased Participants for the January Composition Challenge

E=MC²
    For this Showcase we looked at the artist who we felt best utilized the Golden Ratio to add drama and interest to their image.

For those reasons we have selected Angelik M to showcase smiley

Wildcard
    For this Showcase we took a look at who we felt created an image that is unique and pushes conventional boundaries by utilizing compositional rules creatively.

The New User we felt best showed that this month was vpaintersue

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

Mentor
    For this Showcase we took a look at who we felt assisted the Challenge by sharing information, outlook, and tips to help others participating in the Challenge

The New User we felt best showcased that helpful spirit is Fishtales
    Thank you for all your help and support of the New Users Contest smiley

New User - Welcome

cheetahka_cee5351f0f

AngelikM.jpg
    730 x 451 - 34K
    vpaintersue.jpg
    2100 x 1400 - 213K
    cheetahka_cee5351f0f.jpg
    1425 x 880 - 288K

Congratulations to all those spotlighted and to all the participants. You all did an amazing job! heart

• Thank you for everyone’s comments and help.

• Congratulations, everyone!

• AngelikMAngelikM Posts: 103
    edited February 2019

Congratulations to everyone who participated... and thanks for your kind comments and inspiration! smiley

Pals thanks01

Post edited by AngelikM on
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648

Congratulation to the winner :)

• Congrats everybody It was a blast and I hope to see you all in future contests!

•  Well done to the showcased! Excellent work everyone. 

• Excellent choices and great work by everyone participating!  Congratulations everyone!

• tycide said:

Hello all,

I went through all the linked tutorials and info. It's stuff I learned at uni, but I guess it didn't pay enough attention. It all seems to make so much more sense seeing images transform from first drafts in this forum through all the input and comments to what they come out as at the end of the month. It's amazing how much just moving something a little, or tweaking tiny details and settings can impact the overall end product.

Here's the first iteration of my submission for the month:
    (Part of it is I'm testing the progress on the ACH(Helmet) I'm trying to recreate virtually from the real one that's been sitting in my closet for 11 years, but it sure helps to learn about composition while setting up test renders... especially since the artistic side of things is definately one of my weaker areas.)

Areas for improvement I can see already:
    She is way too clean... but I haven't gotten much into the overlay painting/UVs side of things yet, mb I'll be learning that this month. yay.
    The foreground sand doesn't quite match the background sand, should be minor to correct.
    Her weapon holding pose irks me, mostly because the way she's holding the gun she can't readily operate the fire selector switch, which is nit-picky but one of those things.

All critiques and input welcome.
    Thanks!
    (You guys rock!)

the gun looks like plastic (reduce the glossiness) also lower the butt of the gun into the shoulder bring her head down a bit more.

to lower the overall brightness you can increase the shutter speed or for the inverse decrease the speed (lower is longer default is 128. 64 brightens the scene 256 will darken)

you need a light source, there are no shadows you can use a distance light in the scene play with the luminence (a lot 12000-15000 is in the daylight ranges default is 1500) this will cast uniform shadows for the objects in the scene also alows you to play with time of day and overall look

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited February 2019

@ariochsnowpaw, Check you PMs. I sent you a message weeks ago…
    smiley

Post edited by L'Adair on