Bryce Trees Freebie

2»

Comments

• At the moment I don't know the reason. I had crashes with the trees when I first started making them years ago, but that disappeared when I upgraded my memory - I currently have 32 Gb. Since then I've had no trouble with the trees apart from when adding or removing OBPs. If people start using the scene files instead of the OBPs and still get crashes then then it must be down to something else - maybe high random settings or maybe just the fact that some of the settings on the trees are very high (no. of segments and branches, for example).  I'd be interested to know if using the scene files helps.

• The set of 2D trees is now in the Freestuff on Rendo, plus a set of sky presets for Bryce 7. (Both are on the Google drive as well, if you can't get them from Rendo, but I'd prefer you go to Rendo if possible, as they've been good enough to host them).

If anyone needs to know how to apply the 2D tree images to a 2D face and get it looking right, or even how to create your own 2D trees from the Bryce tree objects, let me know and I'll post a simple set of instructions based on how I do it.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Thank you much for your freebies!

• launoklaunok Posts: 778

The set of 2D trees is now in the Freestuff on Rendo, plus a set of sky presets for Bryce 7. (Both are on the Google drive as well, if you can't get them from Rendo, but I'd prefer you go to Rendo if possible, as they've been good enough to host them).

If anyone needs to know how to apply the 2D tree images to a 2D face and get it looking right, or even how to create your own 2D trees from the Bryce tree objects, let me know and I'll post a simple set of instructions based on how I do it.

Judy, I am interested to know how you apply your 2D tree images to 2D face, etc.  This will be much appreciated!

• launok said:

Judy, I am interested to know how you apply your 2D tree images to 2D face, etc.  This will be much appreciated!

OK - this is what I do:

TO CREATE A 2D TREE
    -----------------------------------

Open Bryce

Create a 2D face, resize it to A4 paper proportions, turn it to face forward and keep it selected

Click on Edit Material (the M symbol beside the face). This takes you into the Mat Lab.

In the COLOR section in the middle of the Mat Lab screen, click in the A column of the the DIFFUSE setting row. A texture will appear at top right.  

Under the texture, click on the small P to select image texture, then when "leo" appears click on the lilac-coloured button above the left "leo" image. This takes you to the Texture Source Editor

In the Source editor, click on load above the left-hand "leo" image.

Navigate to the 2D tree images, choose one of the colour images and double-click on it. The image will be loaded in the left-hand box.

Now click on load above the middle image box

Navigate to the 2D tree images again, choose the black and white mask corresponding to the colour image you just loaded, and double-click. The mask image will be loaded in the middle box, and the tree image will appear on a transparent background in the right-hand box

Click on the tickmark at lower right to get back to the Mat Lab. The tree image in the left-hand preview is still on a black background, so the settings now need to be configured to make the background transparent.  

In the COLOR section in the middle of the screen, leave the DIFFUSE setting as it is, but make the following changes:
    In the AMBIENT row, click in column A
    In the SPECULAR row, click in column A
    In the SPECULAR HALO row, click in column A
    In the TRANSPARENT row, make sure that the colour dot to the left of column A is set to white
    In the VOLUME row, make sure that the colour dot to the left of column A is set to white

In the VALUE section (below the Color section), make the following changes:
    For DIFFUSION, select the value column (to the left of column A) and set the slider bar or type in the value box to set the value to 100
    For AMBIENCE, select the value column (to the left of column A) and set the slider bar or type in the value box to set the value to 19
    For SPECULARITY, click in column A
    For METALLICITY, click in column A
    For BUMP HEIGHT, click in column A

In the OPTICS section (below the Value section), make the following changes:
    For TRANSPARENCY, click in column A
    For REFLECTION select the value column (to the left of column A) and set the slider bar or type in the value box to set the value to 0
    For REFRACTION, set the slider bar or type in the value box to set the value to 100

All the settings where you have selected column A will force the material to take its parameters from the colour and alpha tree images and make the resulting preview image look like a freestanding tree. The AMBIENCE value in the VALUE section can be increased from 19 to make the tree appear brighter, but if increased too much it may make the transparent part of the 2D face visible, depending on your scene lighting.

Finally, click on the tickmark at bottom right of the Mat Lab to apply the material to the 2D face and take you out of the lab. Render the 2D face and the tree will appear.

NOTE: 2D objects won't necessarily render well against all skies and in all lighting conditions. If the edges of the 2D face show up against the sky, try changing the sky (hazy clouds are better), the lighting or the camera angle. 

Another thing to bear in mind is that a rotated 2D face shows the texture as a mirror image, so to get a good variety of trees for your background, copy-paste each face and rotate it, and you will get two different-looking trees for the price of one.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2019

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/6057/

This forested image is made from almost all 2d trees. and instancing.  I used Xfrog 2d trees.  
    Deer and birds are 3d 

Post edited by Chohole on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,755

Chohole: wonderful render. 2D trees can do wonders in the background.

• launoklaunok Posts: 778
    launok said:

OK - this is what I do:

TO CREATE A 2D TREE
    -----------------------------------

Open Bryce

Create a 2D face, resize it to A4 paper proportions, turn it to face forward and keep it selected

Click on Edit Material (the M symbol beside the face). This takes you into the Mat Lab.

In the COLOR section in the middle of the Mat Lab screen, click in the A column of the the DIFFUSE setting row. A texture will appear at top right.  

Under the texture, click on the small P to select image texture, then when "leo" appears click on the lilac-coloured button above the left "leo" image. This takes you to the Texture Source Editor

In the Source editor, click on load above the left-hand "leo" image.

Navigate to the 2D tree images, choose one of the colour images and double-click on it. The image will be loaded in the left-hand box.

Now click on load above the middle image box

Navigate to the 2D tree images again, choose the black and white mask corresponding to the colour image you just loaded, and double-click. The mask image will be loaded in the middle box, and the tree image will appear on a transparent background in the right-hand box

Click on the tickmark at lower right to get back to the Mat Lab. The tree image in the left-hand preview is still on a black background, so the settings now need to be configured to make the background transparent.  

In the COLOR section in the middle of the screen, leave the DIFFUSE setting as it is, but make the following changes:
    In the AMBIENT row, click in column A
    In the SPECULAR row, click in column A
    In the SPECULAR HALO row, click in column A
    In the TRANSPARENT row, make sure that the colour dot to the left of column A is set to white
    In the VOLUME row, make sure that the colour dot to the left of column A is set to white

In the VALUE section (below the Color section), make the following changes:
    For DIFFUSION, select the value column (to the left of column A) and set the slider bar or type in the value box to set the value to 100
    For AMBIENCE, select the value column (to the left of column A) and set the slider bar or type in the value box to set the value to 19
    For SPECULARITY, click in column A
    For METALLICITY, click in column A
    For BUMP HEIGHT, click in column A

In the OPTICS section (below the Value section), make the following changes:
    For TRANSPARENCY, click in column A
    For REFLECTION select the value column (to the left of column A) and set the slider bar or type in the value box to set the value to 0
    For REFRACTION, set the slider bar or type in the value box to set the value to 100

All the settings where you have selected column A will force the material to take its parameters from the colour and alpha tree images and make the resulting preview image look like a freestanding tree. The AMBIENCE value in the VALUE section can be increased from 19 to make the tree appear brighter, but if increased too much it may make the transparent part of the 2D face visible, depending on your scene lighting.

Finally, click on the tickmark at bottom right of the Mat Lab to apply the material to the 2D face and take you out of the lab. Render the 2D face and the tree will appear.

NOTE: 2D objects won't necessarily render well against all skies and in all lighting conditions. If the edges of the 2D face show up against the sky, try changing the sky (hazy clouds are better), the lighting or the camera angle. 

Another thing to bear in mind is that a rotated 2D face shows the texture as a mirror image, so to get a good variety of trees for your background, copy-paste each face and rotate it, and you will get two different-looking trees for the price of one.

Thank you for explaining how you do this!  smiley

edited January 2019

I used several of Judy's trees in this landscape. I used all of them in the size they came in and most also with the original texture. For some of the trunks I modified the texture somewhat, e.g. by increasing the frequency or by lowering the reflection and the diffusion. I added a bird from the set I use more often (free, but not rigged)..

Judyk_trees.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    Post edited by Hansmar on
    edited January 2019

I now used the plants in pots by Judy, together with a few cats and some pots (from Panthalasa, Bryce vases) for a Mediterranean atmosphere. Title: Three vases.

plants.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • Hansmar said:

I now used the plants in pots by Judy, together with a few cats and some pots (from Panthalasa, Bryce vases) for a Mediterranean atmosphere. Title: Three vases.

That's good! Great to see them being put to good use, I love the light and shadow. Looks like the background from a Caravaggio painting.

Hansmar said:

That's good! Great to see them being put to good use, I love the light and shadow. Looks like the background from a Caravaggio painting.

Thanks Judy. They are great. The background is two times a wall (Adobe) from Alan Armstrong that came with one of my Bryce versions. The light and shadow came out to my satisfaction. The oranges work very good in this combination of light and shadow, I think.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,987

Hansmar - beautiful render

Judy - thanks for the freebies

• Chohole said:

As I understand it,  and yes I did ask, You can distribute trees made to your own recipes, you just cannot re-distribute trees that are included in the tree library exactly as included in the program released,  if you can understand what I am saying. By distributing them as OBPs they can only be used by Brycers, which is helpful.

The problem is with the challenge is that it has basically cash prizes, even if it is only money that can be spent here at Daz. So if someone wanted to be really picky they could say that a challenge or contest with money prizes becomes Commercial. 

Also we do have members who do sell images. 

It took me a while to get a definitive answer to this, but if anyone is still interested, here it is below.

This was my original query to DAZ3D

Judy Kerr, Jan 10, 03:36 MST:

Hi, I've put up some Bryce tree freebies over at Rendo - these are heavily tweaked trees with my own textures, but I uploaded them as non-commercial as I assumed that tree presets or their derivatives can't be used commercially. Forum members here at DAZ3D are now saying this means they can't use the presets in the Bryce Challenge. Question: can I change the freebies to include commercial use without breaking copyright?

The thread on this query got well confused as I had another ticket open at the same time, but during the exchanges I got this excerpt from the EULA sent to me:

IF you would like to use ANYTHING from DAZ 3D (Daz owned or Published Artist (PA) owned) for 2D images or 2D videos, in personal or commercial use, this IS covered by our standard EULA.

That implies that you can get money (by selling, or winning a prize) from any 2D production made from items bought from DAZ3D or other sellers on the site.

My final mail to Britney in DAZ3D customer services team said this:

Judy Kerr, Feb 26, 03:01 MST:

Hi Britney,

I think this has got all confused because I had two tickets open.
    The query in the thread below (ticket 289513) was basically asking
    whether DAZ3D members could use some free Bryce trees I posted on
    Renderosity (Bryce trees with my tweaks and textures) in the DAZ3D Bryce
    challenge. Looking at clause 1 of your reply below I think that this may
    answer the question anyway, but as I don't know anything about the Bryce
    Challenge I can't be sure. What I will do is leave it a few days, and if
    I don't hear anything to the contrary from you, I'll assume I can post
    an answer in DAZ3d Bryce forum, telling them they can use the trees in
    the challenge, on the strength of clause 1 below.

This was the answer I got:

Britney, Feb 28, 10:16 MST:

This is fine to use for the challenge. 

So, there is no problem about using the trees in images to be submitted for the Challenge, or in images you might want to sell, and this applies even though the freebies are labelled non-commercial. What you can't do, because they're labelled non-commercial, is to sell on the trees in their original format, i.e. the OBPs.

I hope this is still helpful - there seems to be similar confusion over at Rendo on what can be done with non-commercial items vs. commercial, and neither site has the information set out clearly in layman's terms in a prominent position, which is a pity.

Judy