Dog-slow 'Search' function in Content Library: causes? cures?

Sometimes the 'Search' function zips right along, and other times, seemingly at random, it just crawls. If I let my first search run to completion--go have a cup of coffee or something--subsequent searches seem to run at normal speed, but I'd like to know what causes these work slowdowns, and how to prevent them.

With over 2200 DAZ products in my library, plus who-knows-how-many other products from other sources, the wait can be long and tiresome.

Any ideas and suggestions would be most welcome.

Comments

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

I'm shifting to SSD for the storage of my products, and until now I'm seeing a huge speed increase in everything content-related.

Another huge speed increase there was when I finally decided to delete everything, format my OS and install only what I really needed.

I don't know, although, if this could be a solution to your problem!

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,272

Sounds like disc caching in action. The first time you access the database, it must be read from disc, a relatively slow process compared to live memory access. Once read, it will stay in the memory cache for some time, so if you search again, the OS knows that the data is in the cache, so it reads it from memory instead of re-reading the disc. The memory might be needed for other purposes at some point, so it will eventually be released to another program (could be minutes, could be hours later, depending on how much memory you have, and how many other processes are competing for RAM). Then, if you search again, the data has to be re-read from disc, starting the whole cycle over.

• Blind OwlBlind Owl Posts: 501
    NorthOf45 said:

Sounds like disc caching in action. The first time you access the database, it must be read from disc, a relatively slow process compared to live memory access. Once read, it will stay in the memory cache for some time, so if you search again, the OS knows that the data is in the cache, so it reads it from memory instead of re-reading the disc. The memory might be needed for other purposes at some point, so it will eventually be released to another program (could be minutes, could be hours later, depending on how much memory you have, and how many other processes are competing for RAM). Then, if you search again, the data has to be re-read from disc, starting the whole cycle over.

That seems to be it, all right. Not much I can do about it, then, unless and until I decide to invest in another SSD. I used to have DS on a dedicated 480-gig SSD, but ran out of room and moved everything over to a 4-terabyte HDD.

Thanks for the reples. Guess it's time to consider my next computer purchase...if I can find a workable alternative to ( *shudder* ) Windows 10. indecision