Bryce Trees Freebie

In case some might not have seen it, there is a newly-added freebie by judyk for Bryce available over at Rendo, consisting of a variety of trees in .obp format. Just a heads up. It can be found here:

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/betterbrycetrees---the-naturals/80834

Comments

• thanks for the link 

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    SixDs said:

In case some might not have seen it, there is a newly-added freebie by judyk for Bryce available over at Rendo, consisting of a variety of trees in .obp format. Just a heads up. It can be found here:

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/betterbrycetrees---the-naturals/80834

Unfortunately, you need to register there.
    Now, if someone gave a link to free OBJ (3ds) trees (without transparency maps, only geometry), I would be grateful.

• launoklaunok Posts: 774

Thank you!  Great trees, I got both sets. smiley

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    edited January 2019

That place acts weirdly!

I downloaded trees pack, and wanted to get "garden" pack too, but NOW rendo acts like that user doesnt have any freebies, and clicking on link redirects to freestuff main page.

Hmm....

Post edited by akmerlow on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,740

I don't get to the linked page, but simply to the start-page of Renderosity, unfortunately.

So, either user removed both freebies, or some weird glitch.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited January 2019

I am guessing that Judy removed them temporarily for some reason. They seem to be working now.

Slepalex, I understand that some users do not like to register, but unfortunately the fact is, most hosting sites nowadays do require registration in order to control spam, including DAZ3D.

Post edited by SixDs on
  • Apparently someone at Rendo deleted a batch of Freestuff posts by mistake. I got a mail from them about 10 hours ago and I've re-uploaded both sets of trees. There will be 2 more sets to come in the next couple of days. 

judyk

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

@judykerr3d_e8cf35e3dc

Did you mean to have it licensed for Non Commercial only?  That would mean no one could use them in the Bryce challenge.

• @Chohole

Umm.. well I did have a think about that setting. I personally don't mind what anyone does with them but a) I'm not sure where I got a couple of the textures - my collection is massive and goes back about 17 years - and b) the trees are fundamentally presets so I don't know how things stand on commercial use of those. I wasn't aware that there was that sort of restriction on the challenge. If anyone wants to use them in the challenge let me know what trees you are using and if it's the ones with the mentioned textures I can probably supply alternatives.

As I understand it,  and yes I did ask, You can distribute trees made to your own recipes, you just cannot re-distribute trees that are included in the tree library exactly as included in the program released,  if you can understand what I am saying. By distributing them as OBPs they can only be used by Brycers, which is helpful.

The problem is with the challenge is that it has basically cash prizes, even if it is only money that can be spent here at Daz. So if someone wanted to be really picky they could say that a challenge or contest with money prizes becomes Commercial. 

Also we do have members who do sell images. 

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,940
    Hansmar said:

I don't get to the linked page, but simply to the start-page of Renderosity, unfortunately.

I'm having the same problem and could not find the trees

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2019

=This Could Be A Foolish  Remark=blush

Hansmar said:

I'm having the same problem and could not find the trees

+_ Renderosity does require membership too download_anything

Post edited by ed3D on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited January 2019

I'm a member of Rendersity, found it okay (they sometimes offer free works - not usually available), and so, no probs (I get regular offers and links, but then, DAZ does the same, so no worries). Once you sign up, as with any other service, you take on the usual ads...etc. I usually ignore most, but if the odd one catches one's eye, then link etc. And isn't that what is all about...I mean, how did you get to Bryce...a website link. Yeah?

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667

sadly importing some of these in objects are crashing Bryce for me, the big tree is the first on the lisst to and the second to last willow

the log says

0023:76E71194 kernel32.dll, WaitForSingleObjectEx()+0067 byte(s)

it's likely user error I just cannot find in the manual what I am doing wrong.

edited January 2019

Unzip the file to a temp location.   I have one called imaginatively Unzipped Bryce content. Then boot Bryce up  Click on the arrow along the top set of icons that says "Create", or rather I should say the arrow is next to the wrod create.  This brings you to the object presets libraries.  At the bottom right of that panel  under where you have the list of content folder you will see a - and+ sign.

Click on plaus and you get a little panel to create a new category. Give it a name.  I may really good names like "My Stuff" and "More of My Stuff"    and of course one that is called "More Trees"  for you this will show all black squares. click import

Then add a 2nd tree and crash Bryce.    Pull up bryce again and the first tree has disappeared and trying to import another tree crashes Bryce yet again.   

Hmm  On reviewing the situation  ........ I think I had better think it out again

These trees are just way to big    she has saved them as  OBPs  instead of BTOs

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited January 2019
    Chohole said:

Unzip the file to a temp location.   I have one called imaginatively Unzipped Bryce content. Then boot Bryce up  Click on the arrow along the top set of icons that says "Create", or rather I should say the arrow is next to the wrod create.  This brings you to the object presets libraries.  At the bottom right of that panel  under where you have the list of content folder you will see a - and+ sign.

Click on plaus and you get a little panel to create a new category. Give it a name.  I may really good names like "My Stuff" and "More of My Stuff"    and of course one that is called "More Trees"  for you this will show all black squares. click import

Then add a 2nd tree and crash Bryce.    Pull up bryce again and the first tree has disappeared and trying to import another tree crashes Bryce yet again.   

Hmm  On reviewing the situation  ........ I think I had better think it out again

yep sounds like what I was doing devil

I have induvidually added a couple trees that didn't crash it to the tree folder and rendered the instanced the result 

trees on an island.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 316K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Yeah  I got one tree to import yesterday  

willow tree.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 523K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,056

There are trees that crash Bryce when adding to a library. I checked two that worked and noticed that Randomness is not at zero. The moment you load a tree, even if only load the obp file into a library without actually selecting the tree, randomness changes it. Random should be 0. I made that mistake many years ago and couldn't load a obp tree I had on my website. It came with "hundreds" of branches and twigs and "thousands" of leaves. After many tries, I got lucky and could reset Randomness.

edited January 2019

well two Bryce renders in one day, that's unusual for me cheeky

my terrain a bit rough though, this is the first two trees, will need to go through and save the not crashy ones enlightened

well only the third and second to last tree from the fiirst set an issue

a few more in the other sets

I find wireframe a bit deceptive did not realise so many rocks blush

Bryce better trees Apple and Arcadia test.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 956K
    trees.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 517K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,740

I succeeded, so far, in importing most of the 'Weirdos', except Primeval 1. For the 'garden' set, the flowering shrubs could not be imported and from the 'naturals', the big spread tree and some of the willows crash Bryce.

So, most of them I could import. After import, I open them, set the randomness to 0 and add them to the library, after which I remove the others. May be inefficient, but it does ensure that I do not by accident reopen them with randomness and get crashes.

I hope the others will be uploaded in a BTO form or without randomness, so they can also be imported!

They look nice, as the renders from Wendy_Carrara show.

• Sorry to hear you're all having issues with the trees... I will look into saving them as BTOs tomorrow, but if these are much bigger than the OBPs, it will be a few days before I can upload them again. Re the randomness, I've been popping these trees into Bryce as OBPs and pulling them out again for use in scenes since I started uysing Bryce, and never had them change. I'm guessing this is happening when you store them as BTOs??

I've also asked the great and the good here at DAZ whether I can re-post the trees with a commercial use tag, and I'm waiting for a reply. 

judyk

No  we are all having problems with the OBPs 

• S RayS Ray Posts: 398

I've have problems with earlier version OBPs.  I dragged & dropped the B4 ( Metacreation) and B5 ( Corel ) OBPs into my B7 directory (because they would not import) They all show in the library but just selecting some crash Bryce right away with no warning.  I find it odd that some will work & some crash.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,056

I only had time for the Garden so far. All Flowering and the Topiary in pot crash Bryce. I just opened the single obp file and when selecting the tree it crashes. It is not a memory issue, I checked the Flowering shrub 1 and it only takes 10 MB.

I made the same observation with Bryce 4 & 5 OBPs as S Ray.

• OK, thanks. To simplify things (hopefully) and get over the OBPs problem, I've uploaded the trees as zipped BR5 scene files to Google Drive. You can choose a big zip of all the trees for each set, or individual zips by tree. You can get them here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tVTt4eyhZ3587pkqrGAx-_9vjSVH7bJO

You will still need to go into the tree settings and remove randomness, if you don't want it. I also get issues with OBPs but I find that when I'm working with them it pays to add or delete a few at a time and then stop and restart Bryce. If I don't do that I get out-of-memory errors, or even memory access crashes. I don't think it lets go of the memory until you close it, so if you try to add something in a slot you just emptied, that may cause a crash. The trees that have a lot of segments and branches can crash Bryce too, though, even when working in the scene. 

I have one more set of 2D trees to upload to complete the BBT set, but I still need to finish checking the textures - I should be able to upload these to Rendo in the next 12 hours. If you don't want to create a login on Rendo, I will eventually put them on the Google Drive with the others.

There are a few other unrelated Bryce Freebies on the Google Drive as well - here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oI-iFD3aI5GyBzSmJ0Gfzol66NwidZce

Does anyone recognise the freebie item called "WhatsThis"?? You can do what you like with the other items, but if you do recognise "WhatsThis" you'll understand why that's best kept for non-commercial use.   8-)

• launoklaunok Posts: 774
    edited January 2019

Judy, thank you for the trees.  This is really great trees. smiley  I have downloaded the sets at Rendo but not used yet.  Reading this thread, and noticing the crash problems, I will download the files rather from your Google Drive.  I have started downloading but notice the 1st file is quite big and stopped the 1st set.  Unfortunately I do not have that much data left for this month downloading such large files (have switched from slow uncapped adsl to a faster mobile package this month due to saving costs). Rather pay R480 a month than R600 for a slow, pathetic land line service.  Are you going to keep the files on your Google Drive?  I can maybe download 1 file now but not all.  I haven't checked the other files sizes. I think the one file I started was more than 1 gb.

Post edited by launok on
  • Launok, yes, I will be leaving the trees on Google Drive for the forseeable future. The scene files in each set (Naturals\Scene files.zip, for example) are very big - 669 Mb for that one - but if you double-click on the Scene Files folder above the zip file, you'll see all the individual files for each tree. None of those is above 80 Mb, so you should be able to download them gradually, but it's going to take time. Not sure what OS you are using on your mobile device but I think you should be able to get a download manager that will save your part file if the download fails, so that you can resume when the issue is fixed (or your data allowance renews).

So, what are reasons for crashes and how they are being fixed? "Randomness" or incompability?