[Released] Hair Converter from Genesis 3 Female to Genesis 8 Female [Commercial]

Comments

• ADAD Posts: 396
    edited January 2019
    AD said:

I have a question about the converter. For a hair (ZippityDo Hair Genesis 3 Female by Goldtassel) I get the following error message when loading the folder: Where does that come from or how can I turn it off (because I have definitely not converted the hair to the Genesis 8) The hair has been downloaded and reinstalled, but the converter has obviously noticed this file, so this error message will come back too. How can you turn off the memory of the converter? Perhaps you find an answer?

That comes from the "Ignore..." options.  It doesn't always work correctly.  Turn those options off and it should find any hair files in that directory.

I turned Ignore off, but it's the same, it show's "no hair files detected" . Attached is the logfile (edit: deleted after fixed the problem), perhaps you can see, what's happen? All other hairs are perfect converted. It's a great tool, thank you for this! I'm really happy, I could use these hairs.

Post edited by AD on
  • AD said:
    AD said:

I have a question about the converter. For a hair (ZippityDo Hair Genesis 3 Female by Goldtassel) I get the following error message when loading the folder: Where does that come from or how can I turn it off (because I have definitely not converted the hair to the Genesis 8) The hair has been downloaded and reinstalled, but the converter has obviously noticed this file, so this error message will come back too. How can you turn off the memory of the converter? Perhaps you find an answer?

That comes from the "Ignore..." options.  It doesn't always work correctly.  Turn those options off and it should find any hair files in that directory.

I turned Ignore off, but it's the same, it show's "no hair files detected" . Attached is the logfile, perhaps you can see, what's happen? All other hairs are perfect converted. It's a great tool, thank you for this! I'm really happy, I could use these hairs.

If you look at the log, you can see that the ZippityDo Hair.duf has been saved as a scene subset.  If you really want this hair converted, load it and save it as a figure/prop asset.

• ADAD Posts: 396

Thank you for your help, that helped me a lot. You have developed a wonderful tool and I have already converted all my Gen 3 Female hairs with it. So I can continue to use my favorite hair - wooow. Maybe you could think about developing a conversion tool for Victoria 4 hair? That would be very amazing!

• AD said:

Thank you for your help, that helped me a lot. You have developed a wonderful tool and I have already converted all my Gen 3 Female hairs with it. So I can continue to use my favorite hair - wooow. Maybe you could think about developing a conversion tool for Victoria 4 hair? That would be very amazing!

You're welcome!  I am glad everything converted for you.

• RainRain Posts: 335
    AD said:

Counting the days!  On my Wish List.

• spuffy said:
    AD said:

Counting the days!  On my Wish List.

LOL.  Enjoy your sunshine! smiley

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,757

So... how long until we can expect the Genesis 2 to Genesis 8 version? :)

• Cybersox said:

I am obviously going way too slow through my list cheeky  I am unwilling to say at this time. smiley

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

It's not that we want to push you into making it.. *runs over to riversoftart's house and chains him to chair and computer* laugh

One thing I'm curious about - will your method of doing hair converters only work on .duf files? I'm wondering if there are thoughts on doing a V4 to G8 one, where most of those hairs are .hr2 and .pp2 ( i think) files - and whether those file types would work with your conversion method? 

Cybersox said:

I am obviously going way too slow through my list cheeky  I am unwilling to say at this time. smiley

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,757
    jakiblue said:

It's not that we want to push you into making it.. *runs over to riversoftart's house and chains him to chair and computer* laugh

One thing I'm curious about - will your method of doing hair converters only work on .duf files? I'm wondering if there are thoughts on doing a V4 to G8 one, where most of those hairs are .hr2 and .pp2 ( i think) files - and whether those file types would work with your conversion method? 

Cybersox said:

I know that Draagonstorm was able to create an automatic PZ2 to duf converter in order to get around the problem of batch converting V4 gen poses top dufs, so it ougfht to be at least theoretically doable... though you'd probably have to use a V4 figure as part of the process like she did. 

• Cybersox said:
    jakiblue said:

Cybersox said:

I know that Draagonstorm was able to create an automatic PZ2 to duf converter in order to get around the problem of batch converting V4 gen poses top dufs, so it ougfht to be at least theoretically doable... though you'd probably have to use a V4 figure as part of the process like she did. 

Yes, the method should work.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342

for V4 conversions, I don't know if this will matter, but AprilYSH used V3 to build her V4 hairs on for a very long time.

• Spit said:

for V4 conversions, I don't know if this will matter, but AprilYSH used V3 to build her V4 hairs on for a very long time.

I have no idea if that will matter.  Thanks for the headsup.

• VortigensBaneVortigensBane Posts: 383
    edited January 2019

So far all the hair products I own have transferred nicely, with only one exception, which does not really come as a surprise.  "Peach Fuzz! Facial Vellus Hair" by PA_ThePhilosopher does not convert well with the script, but it is designed more as a "full-body" wardrobe item than as a hair piece.  It does, thankfully, convert without problems using Autofit, so long as you choose "full-body" as the object type.

Hmm.  I don't have that one.  It should work if you turn smoothing on I would think.

I think it doesn't work because of the face/ear rigging, which for most hair sets isn't a problem, but this particular figure is more like a beard than a hair set.  It has to adapt to all of the figure morphs and expressions.  See attached, where the hair is floating from the bottom of the ear, and suspended in mid-air around the open mouth.  It doesn't bother me that I had to create a preset manually for one hair figure out of hundreds.  All the others worked beautifully; the model in the attachment is wearing the TopModel Updo hair for G3F by OOT, which converted beautifully with your script, but which AutoFit destroyed when it converted.

peach fuzz error.jpg
    842 x 895 - 356K
    Post edited by VortigensBane on
  • DarkSpartanDarkSpartan Posts: 1,096
    edited January 2019

Love both the hair and clothing converters (like at least one other in here, my G3 hair collection is now on G8), but wondering if we can expect a G3-G8 Menz version at some point.

Post edited by DarkSpartan on
  • So far all the hair products I own have transferred nicely, with only one exception, which does not really come as a surprise.  "Peach Fuzz! Facial Vellus Hair" by PA_ThePhilosopher does not convert well with the script, but it is designed more as a "full-body" wardrobe item than as a hair piece.  It does, thankfully, convert without problems using Autofit, so long as you choose "full-body" as the object type.

Hmm.  I don't have that one.  It should work if you turn smoothing on I would think.

I think it doesn't work because of the face/ear rigging, which for most hair sets isn't a problem, but this particular figure is more like a beard than a hair set.  It has to adapt to all of the figure morphs and expressions.  See attached, where the hair is floating from the bottom of the ear, and suspended in mid-air around the open mouth.  It doesn't bother me that I had to create a preset manually for one hair figure out of hundreds.  All the others worked beautifully; the model in the attachment is wearing the TopModel Updo hair for G3F by OOT, which converted beautifully with your script, but which AutoFit destroyed when it converted.

Ah, I see.  It gets close but not quite there.

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,361
    edited January 2019

Love both the hair and clothing converters (like at least one other in here, my G3 hair collection is now on G8), but wondering if we can expect a G3-G8 Menz version at some point.

Yes, you can smiley

For your information, I only announce something in the forums after it has passed Daz testing (which usually means that you will see it in around 2 weeks).  On my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/RiverSoftArt/, I will give hints and talk about stuff earlier.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
  • So, you know that clueless user who has somehow managed to botch beyond all reasonable expectations what should have been a straightforward process? No? Boy, do I have a story to tell you...

I tried to run the script in Daz Studio 4.10, but somehow, after hours scanning my Connect library, the script returned zero hair available for conversion. Knowing that I have a number of G3F hairs that is most definitely upwards of zero, I decided to try using the script with the beta to see whether I'd get any different results. And I did. And I converted them just fine and they work... except that I didn't realize at the time that the Beta didn't have the same libraries added as my main Daz install, and so the hairs got converted to a folder out of the library and don't show up in smart content (I am guessing that was what happened, but I wouldn't put it past myself to somehow have involved Chtulhu in the whole affair). I decided to fix said issue and reconvert the hairs, except that now, when I scan my Connect library, I get a few hours of waiting and a shiny "no NEW hair files detected". I have checked and unchecked the dialog box that says "Ignore Previously Converted Files", but I get the same infuriating message time after time. If I select the individual files, they show up and convert (with metadata), but it is quite a titanic task to do that for up to two hundred files hidden wherever Daz Connect decides to put them, so... any suggestions?

• Uthgard said:

So, you know that clueless user who has somehow managed to botch beyond all reasonable expectations what should have been a straightforward process? No? Boy, do I have a story to tell you...

I tried to run the script in Daz Studio 4.10, but somehow, after hours scanning my Connect library, the script returned zero hair available for conversion. Knowing that I have a number of G3F hairs that is most definitely upwards of zero, I decided to try using the script with the beta to see whether I'd get any different results. And I did. And I converted them just fine and they work... except that I didn't realize at the time that the Beta didn't have the same libraries added as my main Daz install, and so the hairs got converted to a folder out of the library and don't show up in smart content (I am guessing that was what happened, but I wouldn't put it past myself to somehow have involved Chtulhu in the whole affair). I decided to fix said issue and reconvert the hairs, except that now, when I scan my Connect library, I get a few hours of waiting and a shiny "no NEW hair files detected". I have checked and unchecked the dialog box that says "Ignore Previously Converted Files", but I get the same infuriating message time after time. If I select the individual files, they show up and convert (with metadata), but it is quite a titanic task to do that for up to two hundred files hidden wherever Daz Connect decides to put them, so... any suggestions?

I believe that 4.10 and the beta do not share the same database.  That is why converting them in the beta doesn't mean they will show up in 4.10.  It also why the files to convert are showing up in the beta in the first place.  It sounds like your database for 4.10 has gotten slightly corrupted and is not accurately giving the content type for the files (if you post the log, I can be sure).  A few users have this problem.  That is why I made the Add Files button in the first place, to help users like yourself.  Sorry.  smiley

• Thank you for your prompt response. As to the files, they actually don't show in either of the installations. Also, after letting the computer run all night, it seems like now the G2F converter is also incapable of finding new hair in the Connect directory, though it doesn't have any problems with the standard library. I'm attaching the log file from this latest attempt, but, just in case, do you have any suggestions to try and fix the database? At this point, I don't know whether that or including the files one by one is the most daunting task.

txt
    txt
    log.txt
  • SF-DesignSF-Design Posts: 986
    edited February 2019

very nice! This is something I really need, I have more hair for G3 than for G8

Post edited by SF-Design on
  • Uthgard said:

Thank you for your prompt response. As to the files, they actually don't show in either of the installations. Also, after letting the computer run all night, it seems like now the G2F converter is also incapable of finding new hair in the Connect directory, though it doesn't have any problems with the standard library. I'm attaching the log file from this latest attempt, but, just in case, do you have any suggestions to try and fix the database? At this point, I don't know whether that or including the files one by one is the most daunting task.

That log file was for an execution of the clothing converter, not hair converter.  (I just spent trying to debug what was going on and then looked at the bottom of the log laugh).   Which product are you having trouble with?

• SF-Design said:

very nice! This is something I really need, I have more hair for G3 than for G8

Thanks!

• Uthgard said:

So, you know that clueless user who has somehow managed to botch beyond all reasonable expectations what should have been a straightforward process? No? Boy, do I have a story to tell you...

I believe that 4.10 and the beta do not share the same database.  That is why converting them in the beta doesn't mean they will show up in 4.10.  It also why the files to convert are showing up in the beta in the first place.  It sounds like your database for 4.10 has gotten slightly corrupted and is not accurately giving the content type for the files (if you post the log, I can be sure).  A few users have this problem.  That is why I made the Add Files button in the first place, to help users like yourself.  Sorry.  smiley

The database is shared, the content directory set up isn't shared - if the files are not in the location specified in the database within one of the kown content directories then the CMS will not find them.

• eheiehbruno@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 842
    edited February 2019
    Uthgard said:

Thank you for your prompt response. As to the files, they actually don't show in either of the installations. Also, after letting the computer run all night, it seems like now the G2F converter is also incapable of finding new hair in the Connect directory, though it doesn't have any problems with the standard library. I'm attaching the log file from this latest attempt, but, just in case, do you have any suggestions to try and fix the database? At this point, I don't know whether that or including the files one by one is the most daunting task.

That log file was for an execution of the clothing converter, not hair converter.  (I just spent trying to debug what was going on and then looked at the bottom of the log laugh).   Which product are you having trouble with?

Darn, Studio crashed and I thought the log was from the Hair Converter, but I was obviously wrong. I'll try to do another scan later and send you a pertinent log, sorry for the confusion. Also, thanks for your input, Richard, any suggestion to fix the metadata of the first (successful) conversion?

Edit: Tried a few things and, after unchecking "Ignore Daz Bought Files", it seems the script now detects hair items in the Connect folder. I've attached a hopefully helpful log this time, as the option shouldn't affect hairs with no G8F counterpart (at least not according to the tooltip) and it is still suspicious behavior.

txt
    txt
    Hair Converter G3F Log.txt
    Post edited by [email protected] on
    edited February 2019
    Uthgard said:
    Uthgard said:

Darn, Studio crashed and I thought the log was from the Hair Converter, but I was obviously wrong. I'll try to do another scan later and send you a pertinent log, sorry for the confusion. Also, thanks for your input, Richard, any suggestion to fix the metadata of the first (successful) conversion?

Edit: Tried a few things and, after unchecking "Ignore Daz Bought Files", it seems the script now detects hair items in the Connect folder. I've attached a hopefully helpful log this time, as the option shouldn't affect hairs with no G8F counterpart (at least not according to the tooltip) and it is still suspicious behavior.

Ah!  This makes more sense.  smiley  However, it looks like the log from within the script?   That log only gives a high-level view of what is going on and is more for you to see what files it skips or adds.  I need the Daz log of the same run (which should have tons more messages!)  If that is the Daz log, I need you to set "output_debug = true" in the RSHairConstants.dsa file (just edit in a text editor, it should be in Data/RiverSoft Art/Common)

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
  • Sure, as soon as I can get some testing time, I'll send you the pertinent information. Thank you for your attention to your customers, it's one of the things that always makes me jump on your converters the very first day, even if I don't use them till much later.

Uthgard said:

Sure, as soon as I can get some testing time, I'll send you the pertinent information. Thank you for your attention to your customers, it's one of the things that always makes me jump on your converters the very first day, even if I don't use them till much later.

You're welcome! smiley

• eheiehbruno@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 842
    edited March 2019

All right, finally did some testing and here's the log with the "output_debug = true" line added. I tried it with three Connect folders and the script didn't find any hairs to add to the list, and, after each try, I tried to manually add the file, which was accepted without any problems. Also, I have found that other converter scripts have a similar issue with the Connect library, as they won't add any files after the scan if the "Ignore Daz Bought Files" option is checked. Moreover, I have had a few of the converters crash after a few hours scanning my library (I... I may have a teensy tiny problem with hoarding content), and after each time my free disk space has shrunk by a few gigabytes, so, if you could tell me where the script stores things while working so I could clear them up, I would appreciate that. I mean, all those gigabytes could be freely available to store more expensive things I will probably never use...

Edit: The most likely culprit seems to have been pagefile.sys, which had bloated to a hefty 40 GB. Already solved that, but I guess having some kind of measure for users who aren't comfortable fiddling around with system files would be a welcome addition (if, indeed, it was the script that had caused this bloating).

txt
    txt
    Hair Converter G3F Log.txt
    Post edited by [email protected] on
    Uthgard said:

All right, finally did some testing and here's the log with the "output_debug = true" line added. I tried it with three Connect folders and the script didn't find any hairs to add to the list, and, after each try, I tried to manually add the file, which was accepted without any problems. Also, I have found that other converter scripts have a similar issue with the Connect library, as they won't add any files after the scan if the "Ignore Daz Bought Files" option is checked. Moreover, I have had a few of the converters crash after a few hours scanning my library (I... I may have a teensy tiny problem with hoarding content), and after each time my free disk space has shrunk by a few gigabytes, so, if you could tell me where the script stores things while working so I could clear them up, I would appreciate that. I mean, all those gigabytes could be freely available to store more expensive things I will probably never use...

Edit: The most likely culprit seems to have been pagefile.sys, which had bloated to a hefty 40 GB. Already solved that, but I guess having some kind of measure for users who aren't comfortable fiddling around with system files would be a welcome addition (if, indeed, it was the script that had caused this bloating).

Thanks.  I will look at the log tonight.  

The script doesn't save temporary files.  It would use a lot of memory on a large library so the page file would be my guess as well.  I really can't do anything about that.