nt

Post edited by Khai-J-Bach on

Comments

• Khai-J-BachKhai-J-Bach Posts: 163
    edited December 2021

nt

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Okay, just tried it. Can confirm, it's crashing here too.

• Just tried it myself (added more exclusions and smoothed/un-smooth) but Hexagon is working fine for me.

But I think you should contact the support team and let them know what is happening -

https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

Personally, when I can re-produce a problem I screen record it and attach the video.

edited January 2019

Just tried it myself (added more exclusions and smoothed/un-smooth) but Hexagon is working fine for me.

But I think you should contact the support team and let them know what is happening -

https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

Personally, when I can re-produce a problem I screen record it and attach the video.

Have you actually followed the outlined procedure - select a face, use the extrude tool - NOT the Quick Extrude - validate, do the same again, do smoothing, then turn the smoothing off, not just set it to zero? Merely setting the smoothing level to zero or setting it to zero and then turning smoothing off and it won't crash.

Post edited by Ascania on
  • Acania, yes I did. And did not have a problem.

• Crashes for me too, but only if I click on the word "smoothing" to turn it off again and not if I click on the button "0" to the right of the button "Smoothing".

Using the the beta, 64-bit.

• What I tried was, select a face extude it, add 1 level of smoothing - click on the lightning bolt. CTRL Z to undo, back arrow in DG to undo smoothing. Then select another face and repeat. Tried it with the CTRL + Manipulator, Fast Extrude, Extude Surface & Sweep Surface tools with no problems.  May-be I'm just lucky 

I'm also using beta 64 version.

What I tried was, select a face extude it, add 1 level of smoothing - click on the lightning bolt. CTRL Z to undo, back arrow in DG to undo smoothing. Then select another face and repeat. Tried it with the CTRL + Manipulator, Fast Extrude, Extude Surface & Sweep Surface tools with no problems.  May-be I'm just lucky 

I'm also using beta 64 version.

But that is NOT actually the procedure the OP described.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

This seems to be another symptom related to the "Local redraw" Preference (Preference Editor/3D Display/Advanced/Local redraw).

If Local redraw is unchecked, then Hexagon doesn't seem to crash when performing the described steps.

I'm using the Mac version of 2.5.2.137, so still 32 bit. So, your milage may vary.

• de3an said:

This seems to be another symptom related to the "Local redraw" Preference (Preference Editor/3D Display/Advanced/Local redraw).

If Local redraw is unchecked, then Hexagon doesn't seem to crash when performing the described steps.

I'm using the Mac version of 2.5.2.137, so still 32 bit. So, your milage may vary.

Yes, it is the same for me: when I uncheck "Local redraw" Hexagon doesn't crash. Windows 10, 64-bit.

• Ascania, do you mean add 1 level of smoothing, then extrude a face then change the smoothing back to 0.

Not colapsing the DG etc, I tried that and I'm still working as per normal. I do have the Local Redraw unticked, but I do not know whay that would make any difference.

I think my main point stands, if Hexagon crashes on you - fill out a bug report.

edited January 2019

Ascania, do you mean add 1 level of smoothing, then extrude a face then change the smoothing back to 0.

No, I mean turn OFF the smoothing - click on the word "Smoothing", not set ot to level zero, not collapse it - use the function that doesn't change any of your settings, it just turns them off until you're ready to turn them on again.

And this thread isn't about reporting a bug, it is about pinning down why it happens to the OP but is not experienced by anybody else. Which we now can see quite clearly is because his workflow differs from everyone else's and he uses some functionality that gets generally ignored.

Post edited by Ascania on
    edited December 2021

nt

• Thank Ascania, I have never tried that. I've always used the back arrow in the DG (learnt something new).

Again, I've given it a go, using all the extrude tools and it still does not crash for me, then I ticked the Local Redraw box and tried again - there it goes, first crash this year.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

Nice to know the root cause for this (local redraw). I had just gotten into the habit that whenever I turned off smoothing, I also used the undo/reset button in the dynamic geometry window to remove it. That also seems to avoid the crash for some reason.

• Khai-J-Bach

There are several ways you can extrude, and there are several ways you can turn off smoothing, and there are several types of smoothing. I can not reproduce your error, but maybe you can tell us exactly what button you are pressing, etc.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

There are several ways you can extrude, and there are several ways you can turn off smoothing, and there are several types of smoothing. I can not reproduce your error, but maybe you can tell us exactly what button you are pressing, etc.

This is what I did to reproduce the crash.

First, to reproduce the crash, make sure that the "Local redraw" Preference (Preference Editor/3D Display/Advanced/Local redraw) is active (checked). If not, the crash will not occur.

Create a cube.

Extrude a surface with the "Extrude Surface" tool. Use the "Extrude" mode, since that seems to be the default.

"Accept" the extrusion.

Toggle "Smoothing" ON, and set a level of 1, then toggle "Smoothing" OFF.

Extrude a different surface of the cube with the "Extrude Surface" tool. Hexagon will crash when you click to finish the extrusion, but before you get a chance to "Accept" it.

Including extra steps or actions might cause the crash not to occur.

• MaxHancockMaxHancock Posts: 226
    edited January 2019

Ok,  Yes, this time I can reproduce the crash. I see what's happening now. That type of extrusion is dynamic, and the smoothing is dynamic as well, and if you want that off you shouldn't use the button but instead turn it off with the little remove button in the DG panel. Also, to do basic extrusions, like the one in this example, you should command-drag a surface instead. That way you are not piling DG operations and running the risk of crashing. I like to do one DG operation at a time, that is to apply the operation then solidify it with the bolt icon in the DG panel.  And yeah, I never have local redraw on because that does cause a few errors here and there. 

Post edited by MaxHancock on

The problem with that - that is what DG's job is supposed to be! Being able to build up a stack of operations and the going back and dynamically modify any of the operations within that stack without having to undo and redo the subsequent steps every time.

edited December 2021

nt

Talking of trueSpace... did you ever finish that Tardis project of yours?

edited December 2021

nt