fit old gen stuff or just buy new

davesodaveso Posts: 6,365

There are ways to fit the old stuff, V4/M4 , for instance, to new figures ..G3/G8 ..but it seems most require a bit of fiddling around. There are some clothes and stuff though that are for older and no deuplicates for newer. 
I have some V4/M4 stuff in my cart right now, considering there is the 80% off sale going on, but I"m very hesitant to buy them and then having to deal with the conversions. 

What you all think? 

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited January 2019

If it's cheap enough, then there is an argument that it is worth the extra time. That's pretty much how I determine value on items; the closer to full price I pay, the less hastle I expect. This relates to figures, garments, and hair mainly; although older items that need some shader lovin also fall into that catagory - to an extent.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited January 2019

Personally I don't even fool with generation 4 stuff anymore as I've never been able to get it looking decent on G8 (for whatever reason, they tend to come out lumpy and ugly looking for me....probably user error ;)). I don't even have great luck with a lot of Genesis 1 stuff. The clothing converter for G1-G8 helps some, but I'm still not totally satisfied with the way the clothes look, so I end up either skipping those, using them on an older figure or trying to dforce them (which works amazingly well sometimes).

YMMV

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,748

I use old stuff on G8 all the time. I'm mostly talking about freebies, it's a way for me to save money. But sometimes, the only decent version of something is only available for older generations. I love Touchdown Star for example, and it's the only decent football set around that I know of. And yeah, conversion can be a pain and doesn't always work well... but it's better than nothing, I guess?

• Some of the outfits (even the Millennium 3 outfits) can benefit greatly with dForce. Particularly the PC+ items.
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    AllenArt said:

Personally I don't even fool with generation 4 stuff anymore as I've never been able to get it looking decent on G8 (for whatever reason, they tend to come out lumpy and ugly looking for me....probably user error ;)). I don't even have great luck with a lot of Genesis 1 stuff. The clothing converter for G1-G8 helps some, but I'm still not totally satisfied with the way the clothes look, so I end up either skipping those, using them on an older figure or trying to dforce them (which works amazingly well sometimes).

YMMV

Laurie

+1 I don't even look at V4/M4 sales any more.

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959
    edited January 2019

I still use everyting.  Here is an old example of a V4 character converted to Gen2 using Genx and the skin converted to iray. SAV hair conerted to iray  The outfit is crescent moon an old aeon soul  one with the materials converted to iray. With a little skill you can make most things work

Muriann2.jpg
    783 x 882 - 552K
    Post edited by ALLIEKATBLUE on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,365
    edited January 2019

yeah..i have so much already it seems foolish to buy anything actually smiley
    BUT ... I keep looking at my vast v4/M4 collection..then notice gaps in some product lines... then I think, I'm probably not going back to Poser so I should figure out how to make this stuff work in DS .... and viola..here is where I'm at now .... 
    The V4 elite textures are pretty decent overall. I have most of them, other than 1 ... also a few merchant resource textures..and a couple of clothing products that I have been looking at for years ... so its time to buy them maybe ... 

I just got one eletie texture to work on G3..haven't tried G8 yet... also applied Anagenesis.... really helped it a lot, other than I used the geograft/legacy UV product and cannot figure out how to get anagenesis to apply to all UV sections. might have to make them move beyond the G3 figure, apply , then resize to regular, or something like that

Post edited by daveso on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Try a bunch of free stuff or stuff you already have first to become familiar with the problems that conversion can cause.  At that point you can make a better determination of whether or not it is worth the time, money and effort and can determine what will probably work and what will probably fail and how hard it will be.  I've not used G3-G8, but have used some V4M4 and G2 stuff on G1.  I've come to the conclusion that sometimes it is worth it, and sometimes it isn't.  Generally I don't depend on anything converting, and try to use items actually intended for the figure, but I always keep an eye out for things that would be useful.  Sometimes things aren't available for the newer generation and so I purchase the older generation item if I expect I can use it, or part of it, and am able to hide any conversion flaws.  some things I predict won't work and I avoid.  Sometimes older generation items are on sale for some insane deal, and I decide it's worth the price to gamble even if I don't know it will work.  sometimes you win, sometimes you loose, but on average I feel I'm coming out well ahead or I wouldn' t still be doing it.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

Depends on how much you feel your time is worth, and how much free money you have.

Personally, I've found, more and more, I'd much rather have newer content. There are few older items worth the pain in the heinie of conversion, IMO.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517

...I find older hair content  to be the easiest to adapt.  Instead of using autofit, manually parent and fit it to the character and you have all the original morphs available. 

For clothing, I've even applied AIko3 clothing to G3F.  (it does help having the "Legacy Shapes").  Haven't used dForce yet (needed to upgrade the system so it wouldn't take forever), but there are also the Morph Transfer Tools as well as dFormers. yes it takes more effort, but when on a tight budget like many are it is worth the extra time.  You can also save your clothing fits as an asset for future use.

edited January 2019

I still use everyting.  Here is an old example of a V4 character converted to Gen2 using Genx and the skin converted to iray. SAV hair conerted to iray  The outfit is crescent moon an old aeon soul  one with the materials converted to iray. With a little skill you can make most things work

thats really nice. doable 

Post edited by daveso on
    edited January 2019

here is an elite texture Marie on G3 ... it was fine looking good using Legacy UVs for Genesis 3: V4 by CaymanStudios 
    I tried to add Anagenesis to it, but cannot get it to apply to the geograft..but I just now as I'm writing think its because of the different UV of the geograft? 

Otherwise, its not too bad. worth it? eh ... its a time spender and interesting if nothing else. need to work on the eyes too. There is a setting but right now cant remember. How can you remember all of the tips and tricks? Do you guys keep a book or something?

2nd image is on geograft without anagenesis

v4 elite with anag-1.png
    1002 x 901 - 935K
    v4 elite on g3 no anag.png
    1002 x 901 - 1M
    Post edited by daveso on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,750
    AllenArt said:

YMMV

Laurie

I still use the Vanilla sky& Horizon textures for V4
    on my G1-G2 females as well as the Elite textures Via UV switching
    Choosing a different UV in DS is the most "work"  I am willing to perform to use 
    Mill 4 content

Daz is in a good position to squeeze value out of  V4, as she remains the primary figure
    for the poser users , who 12 years on, sadly have few viable alternatives.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    wolf359 said:
    AllenArt said:

YMMV

Laurie

I still use the Vanilla sky& Horizon textures for V4
    on my G1-G2 females as well as the Elite textures Via UV switching
    Choosing a different UV in DS is the most "work"  I am willing to perform to use 
    Mill 4 content

Daz is in a good position to squeeze value out of  V4, as she remains the primary figure
    for the poser users , who 12 years on, sadly have few viable alternatives.

True, but you also don't render in DS/Iray and you also focus on animations in other apps, so quality V4 skins will still shine when used in none optimal situations or other apps.

As an example, daveso posted a test with Elite Marie which is a great texture and was a fav of mine at the time it was released. I did an image with Marie on GF3 converted to iray with anagensis and tweaked and while I like the results, I have quite a few of Iray specific character skins that are so much better IMO with less work involved.

When the legacy UVs from V4 to GF3 were released I was over the moon. But the more I used them and compared to GF3 native textures the more I stopped using them. One of the things I dislike the most with many V4 textures are the baked in artifacts, specular and shadows that were added to give them more realism in biased renderers such as Firefly and 3Delight and are not needed in unbiased lighting.

This is just my personal experience wanting to hang on to my fav V4 textures for longer.

marie.jpg
    802 x 849 - 837K

...for myself it's primarily clothing and hair and to a lesser degree shapes/morphs.  I have SBP3 as well as with Anegenesis II, so I'm not worried so much about converting skins as I usually can create my own  (SBP and SBP3 are real money savers for me).

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,750
    edited January 2019

One of the things I dislike the most with many 
    V4 textures are the baked in artifacts, specular 
    and shadows that were added to give them
     more realism in biased renderers such as 
    Firefly and 3Delight and are not needed in 
    unbiased lighting.

Indeed, the reason I still use only  the afformentioned
    texture sets, by former RNDA Merchant Syyd Raven, is that they are photo based maps
    (I believe some of the Elite textures may be photo based also)

Photo based maps look good in both unbiased render engines like Blender Cycles

(Horizon in blender on G2 Female depicted below)

As well as  older Biased engines Like C4D AR3 that I use for animation renders.

Beyond those,and a few V4 Character face morphs salvaged via GENX2, 
    The  V4 Figure (much like poser itself) is vestigial relic from a thankfully  bygone era 
    ....LONG dead  to me.

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    One of the things I dislike the most with many V4 textures are the baked in artifacts, specular and shadows that were added to give them more realism in biased renderers such as Firefly and 3Delight and are not needed in unbiased lighting.

This is just my personal experience wanting to hang on to my fav V4 textures for longer.

Yeah I render in 3DL and use mostly Gen4 skins and I'd say 80% of them have those baked in shadows and stuff. Makes them useless also in 3DL, atleast for me, so always ask for a refund if I get one of them. The rest, though, can be gorgeous:)

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,221

I'll upconvert 1 generation.  So V4/M4 to genesis 1.  then stop there.  And then use a skin surface optimizer for iray.

Or Genesis2 up to Genesis3   One generation step tends to work well.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745
    edited January 2019

It's a case by case basis for me these days, but there are so many situations where there either isn't a current gen equivalent product... like renderwelten's WW2 German military outfits or, Poserworld's now discontinued Baseball uniform... or, if there is but there's only one or two and you want to do a scene with... say, six differently dressed pirates or a group of doctors who aren't all wearing the exact same scrubs or lab coats, then you really have no choice except to start mixing generations.  Skinwise... when G3F was first introduced I had to do a lot of conversions of older skins simply because there wasn't much variety, but I'm doing very little conversion of "glamour" type characters now as there are tons and tons of G3f/G8F native characters that one can pick up dirt cheap.  On the other hand, while Mortem Vetus and Brahan were still in the DAZ store, I bought out every character in their M4 catalog and a huge selction of exotic V4s just to harvest them for their skins. Of course, the big trick there is remembering what you have since DAZ purges almost all of the information on those products and vendors as soon as they're ouf the store, so products that had a number of interesting skin and morph variants are frequently represented in my product library by a single thumbnail or, worse, a 404 card.

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • DarkSpartanDarkSpartan Posts: 1,096

As far as clothing, it's not exactly hard: Use Autofit to Genesis 1 or 2 if you have the supporting clones (and you really should), then use the new clothing converter for Genesis to Genesis 8 to get them up to speed. If push comes to shove, there's another converter from G8-G3. For Iray textures on the clothes (assuming you have 3DL mats), you can also use a shader converter, also available here.

Sure, it'll cost you a couple of bucks, but to save a large chunk of your former library it might just be worth it.

...going the Gen4 - Gen2 route, saving as a wearables asset then autofitting to G3 seems to work OK depending on the style. The only wearable that doesn't transfer well is footwear because of the "crucifixion" pose of the feet for Gen4 characters (why they didn't keep te feet flat like Gen3 did .is still somewhat a mystery).

• DarkSpartanDarkSpartan Posts: 1,096
    kyoto kid said:

...going the Gen4 - Gen2 route, saving as a wearables asset then autofitting to G3 seems to work OK depending on the style. The only wearable that doesn't transfer well is footwear because of the "crucifixion" pose of the feet for Gen4 characters (why they didn't keep te feet flat like Gen3 did .is still somewhat a mystery).

Footwear doesn't seem to be that much of a problem to me, at least. It's not like one can't find loads of shoe packs for G3/8 anyway. That, and none of V4's shoes did anything for me anyway. Aiko/Victoria 3 had some great footwear. V4? Not so much. If push comes to shove, there's freebie boots and shoes running around.

Now if I can just get the pose guys to remember than not everyone wears bloody heels, I might be able to stop having to rebuild them. Not every woman wants to live her life on her toes, after all.

...yeah after Genesis, I started seeing more "reasonable" footwear (though there are still way too many spike heels for my tastes).  Then there's always the WIlmap's Originals site.  She has a nice collection of period and normal "everyday" clothing, all free.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    daveso said:

here is an elite texture Marie on G3 ... it was fine looking good using Legacy UVs for Genesis 3: V4 by CaymanStudios 
    I tried to add Anagenesis to it, but cannot get it to apply to the geograft..but I just now as I'm writing think its because of the different UV of the geograft? 

Otherwise, its not too bad. worth it? eh ... its a time spender and interesting if nothing else. need to work on the eyes too. There is a setting but right now cant remember. How can you remember all of the tips and tricks? Do you guys keep a book or something?

Apply the skin and Anagenesis to the character it's designed for and then save it as a Materials Preset. You can then apply the Materials Preset to the geograft UV product. 

Any changes, adjustments, tweaks, you want to make to the skin textures is usually best made first on the figure the skin texture was designed for then saved as a materials preset for applying to other characters that need the geograft assistance to wear the textures. :) I have most of CaymanStudio's UV geograft products (both from here and Rendo) and find they tend to work best that way with the materials preset created beforehand. 

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    edited January 2019

Personally I really enjoy bringing the older products into the light, dusting them off, polishing them up with some new Iray settings, and getting them all pretty and like new again. heheh I think it's a lot of fun to see some of the older products on newer figures. Many older products really are well made and just need a little adjustment to the textures and/or settings to be Iray ready. I love seeing the difference from when I first load up an older 3DL product into the Iray viewport and then seeing it again after the tweaks - it can often be a really nice transformation. Like giving each older product a Makeover. :)

So for me, it's definitely worthwhile to get the older products. Not only am I saving a lot of money and fleshing out my runtime with some great content, but I'm giving myself some fun things to do every once in a while when I have a little bit of free time. It usually doesn't take long to polish an older product so even if I don't have much time it's something fun I can do fairly quickly to dive into my runtime, pull out something that doesn't even show up in smart content, and do a quick conversion. Occasionally I'll run across an item that really refuses to "polish" up - usually due to either really low res textures or just something that doesn't want to autofit properly to a newer gen figure. Those are pretty rare though, I've found - at least for me. For the most part I can usually get the items looking pretty decent and usable for Iray renders.

With clones and things like "Wear them All" it's usually easy to get the item on a newer figure and save it as a wearable preset once I get the settings adjusted for Iray. 

If you don't enjoy doing conversions though, or have a bit more extra money, then skipping the older stuff and just buying the newer might be something you'd prefer. :) It's really up to you on what would suit you best. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on

...it's also fun to use Iray materials merchant resource content (particularly those by Mec4D) on some older products.

daveso said:

Apply the skin and Anagenesis to the character it's designed for and then save it as a Materials Preset. You can then apply the Materials Preset to the geograft UV product. 

Any changes, adjustments, tweaks, you want to make to the skin textures is usually best made first on the figure the skin texture was designed for then saved as a materials preset for applying to other characters that need the geograft assistance to wear the textures. :) I have most of CaymanStudio's UV geograft products (both from here and Rendo) and find they tend to work best that way with the materials preset created beforehand. 

smiley  thanks ... so simple a solution. If you know it :)   
    Yeah..i picked up a couple of the UV products during the last sale. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Some of the older products works good but as AllenArt said the lumpier shorts tend not to. I'm trying to get an M4/V4 clothing set dforced on G8 and the 1st attempt yesterday failed with explosion. Ideally I'd like to get a good drape and save it as a clothing preset and then likewise use that drape as a basic for other clothing preset dForce drapes but two things need to happen: 1) dForce needs to be exponentially faster than it is now and actually work. 2) And then I can save those drapes as wearable presets.

I'm thinking it might make more sense to export those old products that you want to use as objs, retopologize in Blender, & then use DAZ Studio to reimport that and then re-rig, re-surface it to be dForce friendly for Genesis 8. A lot of work but seeing the last two Genesis cycles well if you want them & want them working that's probably the path of least resistance and shortest wait.

The aufofit is OK for renders when you restrict the poses greatly you put the characters in, but modern computers and modern software have made it look antiquated with their somewhat fast cloth and physics simulations. 

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

Reposting something I wrote from another thread on old content: 

A few words of advice on the M4/V4 sale, from someone who was there when many of these items were new: https://www.daz3d.com/select-michael-4-and-victoria-4-blowout-sale-items

Easiest items to convert forward to G3 would be the weapons sets: You will probably find them under Content/Runtime/Libraries/Props. they load as props parented to the left or right hand of the figure selected, and from there you can select them, and move them to a better position relative to the figure's hand. This may be more difficult for G8, haven't tried it. Converting the materials to Iray tends to be straightforward: use base Iray shader on everything, Iray emissive on stuff that's supposed to glow, metal shaders on metal bits (possibly using Cntl+Click to retain the original textures), leather with ctrl+click on wood/leather/weathered metal surfaces (then reset the diffuse color in the surfaces tab). You may need to make sure that there are maps in the bump field under surfaces (the base diffuse map will work, if you can't find anything else), and you may also need to set the bump values rather high. Save as wearable or accessory.

Of the weapons in the sale, I strongly recommend anything by Valandar, especially his gorgeous and unique "Rapiers of Legend" set.

Hair is the next easiest, but it will require hair shader kits like OOT's or Slosh's to make them look good: If it's under Content/Runtime/Libraries/Hair, it's a prop that will load as parented to the head of whatever figure you have selected. Select the hair and use y-translate and z-translate to position it better on the character's head. Specifically, you're trying to minimize pokethrough on the forehead and crown areas, and make sure that the area assigned to the ears does in fact line up with the ears on your character. Use a smoothing modifier to deal with any remaing pokethrough. If it loads untextures, go to Content/Runtime/Libraries/Pose to apply a hair color. Now select the hair surfaces and go to work with the shaders. When shopping for older hairs, pay close attention to the individual strands/locks. Do they look realistic, even if the scene overall or the hair texturing does not? If yes, then that usually means that the hair is either modeled well or transmapped well, and one or the other is a requirement for the hair to look good with modern shaders. If the hair is a figure (found under Content/Runtime/Libraries/Character), the easiest thing to to do is to load it without a figure selected, position it relative to your figure's head, parent it to the head, and then go through the rest of the steps. I usually save hairstyles as wearables, in their own subfolder under G3F (or G3M) Hair.

Of the hairstyles in the sale, I have gotten the most use out of Tequila Hair, which has a bunch of useful morphs, and Mon Chevalier Hair, which doesn't look great from behind but holds up well from other angles and takes shaders well.

Clothing: do not bother unless you have clones and templates for bringing them forward to the Genesis Generation of your choice; I mostly rely on Wear Them All and Sickleyield's Ultra Templates. There are several cloth shader kits for Iray that include settings to leave the existing textures in place but change the surface settings to be more Iray friendly; any of these will help. Clothes will usually be found under Content/Runtime/Libraries/Character. Skirts that extend below the knee tend to fare badly in conversion, but in cases where they are a separate object rather than part of a dress, you can skip the autofitting and parent them to the character's hip or lower abdomen, and use built in handles and morphs to position them. High heels do not autofit well; do not bother with them unless you are willing to do a lot of fiddling. High collars do not autofit well.

Of the clothes in the sale, I like V4 Songstress and it converts fairly well to G3F if I remember correctly. V4 Nightshade does not, neither does M4 Warp Master. TOA Legendary, on the other hand, does surprisingly well and has some amazing freebie textures by Chohole. Special shoutout to L75 War Alastair for M4: nothing much to look at but it converts forward well, and converts well to DForce, AND is simple enough to not cause problems when you stick a dforce cloak or robe on top of it.

Optitex Dynamic Clothing: these are designed for an older dynamic plugin, a tiein with a fashion industry clothing simulator. They are modeled in a way that usually works well with DForce, but they do not work with it out of the box. It is recommended that you load the Optitex dynamics (found under content/People/Victoria 4/ Dynamic Clothing or Content/People/Michael 4/Dynamic Clothing), then export them as objects to some place you can find them easily, then import them and treat them the same way you would a poser dynamic outfit that you were trying to add dforce to (turn self-collide off, position the figure inside the clothes at frame 0, run an animated draping simulation with the final pose halfway through the timeline or at the end of the timeline, etc).

Danie/Marforno set complexes: I like their medieval/barbarian/Hellenic work better than their futuristic work, and do not own anything by them with explicit druidic/occult/horror theming, so I can't speak to those. many of their sets are built of individual prop components you can use as building blocks for your own sets, and also include weapon props or V4/M4 pose sets, which means that you can be bouncing back and forth between Content/Runtime/Libraries/Character, Content/Runtime/Libraries/Pose, Content/Runtime/Libraries/Prop, and Content/Runtime/Libraries/Scene to find all the things they have to offer. You will need one of the pose conversion scripts floating around out there, free or paid to make the poses work on Genesis 2, 3, or 8. Their props can be converted like the weapons described above, and their set complexes can be converted to Iray in the same way I described for weapon surfaces above: just going through and seeing which of the base Iray shader presets will work, and using cntrl+click to retain the original texture maps where necessary. The trouble is that the average set has A LOT more surfaces than the average weapon, so this gets old quick. I tended to save out materials presets for the individual prop components of the DM sets as I set them up for Iray, to save time later.

M4/V4 characters: these are the hardest thing to move over. CaymanStudios has some good products (here and at Rendo) for making older skins work on G3 and G8, but they require the material preset to be in .duf format, which M4/V4 materials usually aren't. You will have to first load M4 or V4 and apply the material skin preset, make any tweaks necessary to make it look good in Iray, then save out as a material preset in duf format, and then use on a Genesis 3 or 8 character wearing Cayman's geograft products. The initial adjustments for Iray can be very basic if the skin is already set up for 3Delight (select all, apply Iray base shader preset), but if they are only setup for Poser, they may require the use of Dimension-Z's or JavierMicheal's skin shader tools.

There are relatively few V4 skins worth the trouble of bringing forward, especially given the added hassle of converting the makeup options, IMO, but there are some pretty good M4 skins. Almost anything for either M4 or V4 by Morris, RawArt, Surreality or LiquidRust will hold up reasonably well in Iray after conversion. The "elite" series of m4/v4 skins are also pretty good (some of them are by Morris, others are uncredited but possibly by her as well).

Morphs: the default tool for moving these forward is the no longer supported (creator is deceased) GenerationX2. You can also try this tutorial for moving morphs between Genesis figures and see if it works: https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Tutorial-Transferring-Character-Morphs-G1G2G3G8-409437916

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004

I convert older stuff in a modeling app - if you are even a little bit comfortable pushing mesh around in a modeler it's not hard. If you want to try it: 

1. For your first try, go with a simple clothing item like a tee shirt. 
    2. Export G8F as an obj, bring her into  your app, turn her bright pink or purple.
    3. Put the clothing item on V4, and pose her in the "A" pose so that she matches G8F as much as possible.
    4. Export the clothing item (keeping it in the A pose - just hide V4), import it to the modeling app on top of G8F, and turn it bright green. That way you can see any pokethrough.
    5. Smoosh the clothing item around until it fits tight, but without any pokethrough or "shrink wrapping" - that thing where it pulls in really tight under the boobs, which happens a lot with autofit.
    6. Export the clothing item
    7. Import it to Daz studio
    8. Run the transfer utility to set it up as a new wardrobe item
    9. Save it with the original artist's name

ta-da!

As an example, the middle girl in this pic is wearing Mada's pixiedust dress for V4, converted this way: 

It's a lot more work that using autofit, but the results are much nicer if you take your time and fit it really well. To use the original materials, apply the iray uber shader on all the surfaces after loading the material.