WinterMoon Wants Attention.

Comments

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 832

Don’t think we’ve ‘met’ as it were.  I need to browse more topics.  

“Fun with Shaders” render:  Gods!  Retro-80s with frizzy hair and shoulder pads.   Runaway!

On more serious note, real reason I’m posting is Vicky lineup.  That’s one of the better jobs with V8 imo.  Usually people go the glamour route, so nice to see her looking more ‘everyday’ if that’s the right word.  Like someone you might meet at the mini-mart.  What hair is that?

Anyway, you seem to be a natural at this with your imagination.  Be following this topic. :)

Best wishes!

--Bruce

• SummerhorseSummerhorse Posts: 684
    edited December 2018

I had fun looking through all of these! Tara is my favorite, she has a delicate sadness to her.

You made a comment about how tough the smiles are, notice that through the ages great painters rarely ever show any teeth? In many painting classes they told us- don't ever show teeth! They said that the lips and cheeks will always look wrong or forced because most people rarely hold a frozen in place smile for long.I 've seen a few good renders with open faced smiles, but not many.

Post edited by Summerhorse on
  • WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893
    edited February 2019

@Tynkere Nice to "meet" you, Bruce! Thank you so much! That hair the Victorias are wearing is called Textured Bob. Lemme get a linky. There. smiley You'll be seeing V8 looking even less glamourous soon, because she's headed off on a search-and-rescue mission as a civillian volunteer.

(I got Daz mainly to illustrate my stories, and I've got a really creepy This Forest Eats People in the back of my head. Blame the NoSleep sub-Reddit.)

@Summerhorse Thank you! Tara's currently my favourite model, so you'll be seeing her again for sure! She's a rather serious girl, at least on the outside, but there are always a lot of things on her mind. Because of her parents' work, she's grown up around kids who have lived a rougher life than her friends from "back home." She's not sure where she truly belongs, because both of her homes have things she doesn't like. Both sets of grandparents worry themselves half silly about the effect this all has on Tara and her sister. Their father's parents worry that people from the old city, which is more archaic than even they grew up with, are going to hurt them through sheer ignorance. The maternal grandparents are concerned about what living "out there," and acquiring all that information about stuff people shouldn't even know, will do to their mental health. In addition to all of this, Tara has spent years grieving for a close friend, who's been through something so traumatic it's impossible to relate to.

I always cringe when I see someone having a tattoo of a smiling face. They look terrifying 90% of the time. crying

Post edited by WinterMoon on
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 832

Textured Bob.  Got it.  Looking forward to carnivorous forests and hapless volunteers.  

“We should runaway!”

“Why?  We have a HumVee.”

“Run anyway!  Right into that quicksand pit over there!”

Silly horror movies.

Anyway, happy new years and have a great 2019!

--Bruce

Tori's not sure she likes the implications of what she sees in the forest. And now I'm starting to wonder if I'll have use for a Humvee for any renders. Why do I like big vehicles so much? That's so not environmental...

edited February 2019

@daveso and his character thread promted me to create a G8F model of the previously mentioned Liranda. As I said, she's got a rather bizarre and ridiculous bio, both as a character idea and as a (fictional) person. She first saw the light of day in 2014, when I decided to amuse myself and the small readerbase of my journal. I started a new Sims 2 family, and played their story using as many absurd cliches and references to infamous bad works of fiction as possible. Thanks to Sims 2's tendency to create really strange situations, it got weird soon. It was an unexpected "hit," and the dark and vengeful Liranda became one of the most popular characters.

Liranda's life didn't have a very good start. Her parents were a runaway teen, with a dream of becoming a pop-star, and an axe-murdering vagrant. She grew up in utter poverty, which included sleeping outside in winter. Her father eventually left the family, in favour of an old lady who used to be the children's nanny. Her mother married a succession of new men, all of whom died as victims of the game's programmed hazards. Liranda hated each and every step-father, seemingly to increasing degrees. She was usually found engaged in a dustball of domestic violence, and usually won.

Liranda's violent behaviour was also a result of the game mechanics. She was actually born with 10 "nice-points," which means that she was originally programmed to have the sweetest disposition possible. However, her miserable upbringing had concisted of mostly negative experiences, and her AI learned to respond aggressively. While her mother was still on her second husband, she (the mother) was forced to have plastic surgery, with catastrophic results. Liranda eventually became convinced that her real mother had been murdered, and that an imposter had taken over her life. A generations-long feud broke out between the two. Because they have magic medicine that keeps them eternally young (as long as they don't run out), they're still in excellent fighting condition.

Liranda was originally a blonde. She only went gothic and started dyeing her hair after she was already a grandmother. Her mother's second-to-last marriage pushed her over the cliff. After her mother was forced into exile, Liranda dedicated her life to "exposing" her as a murderer, and get justice for her dear mother. It's very confused and sad. crying

As a blonde she's kind of got a Billie Piper sorta look to her. Since I'm feeling ambitious, I'm going to try creating a model for her infamous mother. It may not even be possible, because that lady is something special.

This is the original Liranda, and the man who became her husband.  

This is Liranda and her twin in their first "bedroom."  

Here's their Daddy. 

Garrett, the longest surviving of the stepfathers.  

Dark Avenger. 

Well... Looks like I managed what I thought was impossible. Here's Aylatani. She's an accomplished scholar, time-traveller and dynasty founder.

And yes, she's also Liranda's estranged mother. She's got rather complicated relationships with all the three girls she's got with her first-and-fifth husband (they remarried), and her two oldest grand-daughters. They all believe her to be an imposter named Bertha, who has killed the real Aylatani, and they don't believe the whole "plastic surgery distaster" explaination. 

Aylatani has been married to three other men. Only one lived for any significant amount of time after the wedding. She's got another pair of fraternal twin daughters with her late second husband, and a third pair of twins - son and daughter - with her tragic fourth husband. He didn't live to see his children's first birthday. indecision

She would like to speak to your manager.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Huh.  I just started playing the Sims 3 and had no idea that the game could be that twisted lol.

edited February 2019

Huh.  I just started playing the Sims 3 and had no idea that the game could be that twisted lol.

Welp, the good news is that this all happened in Sims 2. The even better news... is that Sims 3 is at least just as crazy! Lookie this.

Also keep in mind that a lot of it, like the face-lift disaster, was either my own doing, or me purposely interpreting events in the silliest ways I could come up with. All the violence was game AI, however. Aaaaand, I have a brazillion different mods that change game behaviour, and make things more entertaining...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

thats some schnozzle surprise

thats some schnozzle surprise

I was surprised when I managed to recreate it in all its glory! Her eyes didn't get as vertical as they are on the original, though. The dials didn't allow for it.

Haha that was some seriously funny stuff!  I haven't run into any of that yet but I've only been playing for a couple of days.

I've only been playing for a couple of days.

Did you get if for Christmas? Let me know if you feel the need for more clothing and hair options for your Sims. There's a lot of good custom content, that looks wayyyy better than the EA stuff, and I'm always very happy to enable new Simmers.

TigerAnne said:

I've only been playing for a couple of days.

Did you get if for Christmas? Let me know if you feel the need for more clothing and hair options for your Sims. There's a lot of good custom content, that looks wayyyy better than the EA stuff, and I'm always very happy to enable new Simmers.

Aw thank you!  They had a great sale on Steam right after the New Year actually.  And since my spending here has been greatly reduced I have a bit of funds for other stuff.  I have no idea how one would even get those into the game?

I have no idea how one would even get those into the game?

Yeah, the thing that's a bit confuz with Sims 3 is that there are two different formats for  extra content. One's the official file type EA created for the game, and the other - more popular with players who value tidy directories - was created by game modders. It needs a framework to be installed first, to set up the directory.

There's an explaination here, for how to do it. http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Sims%203:Installing%20Package%20Files  Even TigerAnne, who can misunderstand the simplest of instructions, has managed to do this on three computers. Good luck. smiley

TigerAnne said:

I have no idea how one would even get those into the game?

Yeah, the thing that's a bit confuz with Sims 3 is that there are two different formats for  extra content. One's the official file type EA created for the game, and the other - more popular with players who value tidy directories - was created by game modders. It needs a framework to be installed first, to set up the directory.

There's an explaination here, for how to do it. http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Sims%203:Installing%20Package%20Files  Even TigerAnne, who can misunderstand the simplest of instructions, has managed to do this on three computers. Good luck. smiley

haha I'm probably going to need it!  Thanks again!

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

You sure know how to tickle the funny bone @TigerAnne

You sure know how to tickle the funny bone @TigerAnne

I inherited my Dad's brontosaurus-sized funny bone. laugh I thank God for that, when I look at how angry and miserable people with no humor are, all the time. 

• thats some schnozzle surprise

Looks like she definitely has a nose for trouble. surprise

• I've been messing around with more of the skin texture settings in conjunction with primitive lighting. I used the Blaire Genesis 3 F character without changing any morphs with a couple of primitives, 6k color temp. How does the skin look at this point? I was trying to get more of a pale skin with the character without resorting to using a different skin. Being that I was already at 0.15 for Translucency Weight, I made some adjustments on the Translucency Color to experiment. I probably still need to increase Glossiness, decrease Glossy Roughness, or both for the lips since they don't seem to stand out as much besides the dark colored lipstick.

Blaire1at73p.jpg
    1123 x 869 - 648K
    edited January 2019

@magog_a4eb71ab I think she looks gorgeous, but did you mean to post this in another thread?

• TigerAnne said:

@magog_a4eb71ab I think she looks gorgeous, but did you mean to post this in another thread?

No, you seem to have the skin settings down, so thought I would ask here. Some of your characters have a pale skin back on the first page in the first or second post if I recall correctly. The lighting setup & backdrop I used was just terrible which is evident with the eyes. Nevertheless, these days I have to keep everything as simple as possible when experimenting due to rendering limitations with my graphics card. It probably took 4-5 hours of tweaking and repeat renders just to get within the general ballpark. Its frustrating, yet the experimentation is fun.

edited January 2019

@magog_a4eb71ab Oh, well I'm no expert on skin settings, by any means! It's not that long ago I was a n00b. I don't usually mess with skins that are already Iray enabled, only older Genesis and V4 skins, so it could be different for Genesis 3 and 8. What I do when I want really pale skin, is set colour to "Maximum White Brightness," translucency scattering type 2, and translucency colour to "Less Red" or "Neutral." Don't be afraid to increase the glossiness. I usually set glossiness to 1, and glossy roughness to 0.5, but again, that's on older skins.

• I haven't messed with any of the G2 or older characters. One of the things I try to do is keep just enough "yellow" to make it a natural-looking "pale skin white" without developing a jaundiced or heavily buttered milk look. Unfortunately, some character skins are difficult or impossible to work with for this purpose, so I either have to go with a darker skin tone/color or use a different skin. One of the things I wonder about is why a lot of characters tend to have mismatched textures. Not in the manner where you have seams between them, but the skin becomes darker on the legs in the upper thigh area down to below the knee caps. On Blaire, its not as much of an issue.

BlaireSpotRLegs.png
    306 x 503 - 282K
    edited January 2019

One of the things I wonder about is why a lot of characters tend to have mismatched textures. Not in the manner where you have seams between them, but the skin becomes darker on the legs in the upper thigh area down to below the knee caps. On Blaire, its not as much of an issue.

That's an issue with how the actual textures are painted and shaded, I think. Most of the skins for Daz Studio and similar programs are made from photos of real humans. Many people do have differently toned skin on parts of their bodies. Maybe some textures are made with pictures of multiple people, blended together. I don't actually know.

PS: The mods don't allow painted-on censors. angel

• TigerAnne said:

One of the things I wonder about is why a lot of characters tend to have mismatched textures. Not in the manner where you have seams between them, but the skin becomes darker on the legs in the upper thigh area down to below the knee caps. On Blaire, its not as much of an issue.

That's an issue with how the actual textures are painted and shaded, I think. Most of the skins for Daz Studio and similar programs are made from photos of real humans. Many people do have differently toned skin on parts of their bodies. Maybe some textures are made with pictures of multiple people, blended together. I don't actually know.

PS: The mods don't allow painted-on censors. angel

Yup, that's why I used "simulated clothing". Rendering this particular character was taking more time than I anticipated but I wanted to keep as much of the environment as possible for the lighting, so I hid the clothing, hair, and head, and added a simple loincloth to the rendered image. Just adding most hair types to a character can dramatically slow down the viewport & renders on my system.

I definitely understand that on & around the knee & elbow joints, there's going to be a darker complexion. However, just as an example, Dao(G8F) has a darker or different color complexion in the lower torso & legs in renders. Fortunately, the addition of clothing where not as much skin needs to be shown, allows greater latitude in skin color adjustment and seams can be hidden. This allows me to match the arms & legs better without having to worry about the torso seams.

Hiya guys. It's been a while, thanks to some... let's say software problems. Yesterday I started having withdrawals so badly, I booted up DS on my laptop, and just hoped it wouldn't fry. I had already started forgetting how so much stuff worked. crying Also, lying on my back in bed (it was early in the morning, and it's cold, don't judge), and only the touchpad for control, wasn't the most comfortable way to work. I don't have anything fancy to post, but I love how these pictures of Aubrey came out.

I think I finally found "her" skin. Right now I can't remember the name of the character it comes with (Wednesday?), but it's one of Thorne's girls. Now she's got a bit of colour to her cheeks, and her eyebrows are on fleek as well.  My little red-haired daughter is growing up so fast! *sniffle*

One more, just because.

Now that I have successfully moved my Studio into my new computer, I can't stop playing dress-up with my little dolls. laugh These renders are nothing special, just me doing the same old stuff, because I've missed it.

It's my head-canon that all the Victorias are related, and that most of the family members are sort-of-famous for something or other. Megan, my interpretation of V6, is a reporter and talk-show host. Bree is her co-host in her newest production, Thursday at Eight - With Megan and Bree. She functions as a sidekick and occasional foil to Megan, and is the sillier of the two. This is their promo-shot. x)

More shader-happy fun. I'm not super happy that the dress looks more like latex than silk, so any suggestions for what settings to fiddle with are greatly appreciated!

My first attempt at dForce did not end well.

Here's who was underneath the fashion disaster. It's little Faye by BlueJaunte. She's so cute, but I think she looks a little disappointed that she didn't get to keep the cool, grown-up outfit.

This series of pictures were the last ones I forced out of my laptop, before allowing it to retire into being a video-viewer. I aged down a character named Gemma to somewhere between 10 and 13, because I need more young "extras." She went for a walk in the sunshine.

I thought grey was a bit dull of a colour for a spring jacket, so there was shaders. Those t-shirts with the little metallic flowers are awesome. All my characters seem to end up in them.

There was poke-through. x( It didn't show up in the preview.

The funky perspective makes her head look really big. 

Random girl.

Here we have Sahel, by BlueJaunte, as a modern flapper. This time dForce did sort of work. The dress didn't explode into avantgarde runway fashion, and you can see that some of the tassles ended up on the other side of her knee. However, what you can't see, is that young Sahel had a rather embarrassing wardrobe malfunction. The neckline of the dress shifted too much for her comfort, so she had to wear a top over it. Her finger also poked a hole in the delicate fabric. :C