Products Converted from Studio to Poser

I'm not sure that there are many folk frequenting this forum these days but I do think we need a thread for products successfuly converted for use in Poser - either using the DSON plug-in with Studio active in the background, or converted to a native Poser format.

The new computer I finally got around to buying this year is the first I've had that runs Studio without crashing - mostly - and so I've finally started purchasing some Studio products with a view to getting them into Poser, which is my prefered environment.

The way that I'm going to be working is to create companion files or CR2s in Studio and then use Netherwork's Creator's Toybox Plug In (I won't spend time describing its use - I can't do better than the instructions included with it) to render them Poser native. My reason for this choice for workflow is that I find the models under DSON rather unresponsive.

This thread is for anyone to contribute to but I'll not that with regards to my own efforts, I won't be spending much time on material settings in Poser - if you've seen my gallery, you'll know that I've no interest in photorealism, so the work would be wasted on me.

I'll only be posting here and there, taking the odd screen shot as I trya product out.

Comments

• philebusphilebus Posts: 241
    edited November 2018

So, here's a post to get the ball rolling...

Merchasar's Worms

This is set of 9 wriggly figures which are not Poser ready but which work just fine. I created companion files within Studio and they will work just fine with those - though I didn't have much luck with the mat fils, so you'll need to apply textures yourself and save out the materials. The eye stalks of the snail are not rigged - but that really isn't a deal breaker, it is a terrific little model and doubles as a slug. None of them come with anything like EasyPose and when I get around to installing Easypose Underground on this machine, I might add it but as they are, these seem fairly easy to work with.

Even at its full price, this seems like great value to me and the models are worth a little of your time to convert. Here are a couple of images...

P_Con_Caterpillar.jpg
    971 x 586 - 54K
    P_Con_Centi.jpg
    767 x 780 - 50K
    P_Con_Worm.jpg
    606 x 530 - 20K
    Post edited by philebus on
    edited November 2018

One more before I turn in for the night.

The Creeper Collection

This one is now a PC+ item, so if you're a member, it really is a bit of a bargain for 9 creepies, some of them really unusual, such as the wonderfull choice of spiders.These converted with no hastle at all. They all converted to Poser with no fuss and have a large range of articulation, so I can't reccommend them enough. Again, here are a few pics of my favourites.

P_Con_Ant.jpg
    1243 x 861 - 83K
    P_Con_Barn_Spider.jpg
    1243 x 861 - 92K
    P_Con_Jumping_Spider_Ps.jpg
    1243 x 861 - 74K
    P_Con_Wasp.jpg
    1243 x 861 - 92K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited October 2019

Giant Fantasy Snake

Good Compatibility

This really is a great model which imports, converts, and poses marvelously. When I originally posted, I thought there was a problem with the mapping for Poser but I'm afraid that looking back at it today, I found that I had just made a rather elementary mistake. When applying normal maps the 'use gamma value from render settings' is usually selected by default - you need to change that to 'custom gamma value' (which I set to 1).

P_Con_GiantFantasySnake.jpg
    1243 x 861 - 107K
    P_Con_GiantFantasySnake2a_ForumUpdate.jpg
    900 x 516 - 67K
    P_Con_GiantFantasySnake2_Normals.jpg
    719 x 394 - 73K
    edited November 2018

The Bat Thing

I'll admit that I've not tried to do anthing with the hooves, which I assume are just conformers, because they didn't really interest me. The main figure seems to work rather well though - I did break one of the wings using the included poses, though I didn't run into that problem while posing it myself. The face morphs all work well and there are some handy dials for folding the wings, and scrunching the feet up for walking. Certainly worth your consideration for use in Poser.

P_Con_BatThing.jpg
    539 x 853 - 64K
    edited November 2018

Sea Beast

Another Ant Farm creature feature. Absolutely no problems bringing this into Poser and has some handy pose dials to make using it a doddle.

P_Con_SeaBeast.jpg
    1243 x 462 - 73K
    edited November 2018

Sir Waddleston - 3D Universe Toon Parot

Well, that would be a no...

Pity.

P_Con_Waddleston.jpg
    927 x 610 - 46K
  • Marco42Marco42 Posts: 11
    edited November 2018

Philebus thank you so much for starting this thread. Just purchased the Worm characters and they do indeed work great in Poser.

Post edited by Marco42 on
    edited December 2018

Some Notes on Making Genesis into a Native Poser Figure

One big difference between the way Genesis works and how we’re used to Poser figures working, is in the UV maps. Different full body morphs will often have there own custom UV map associated with them to limit texture stretching, which is a nice feature.

In theory, it might have been possible to implement in Poser by using geometry switching dials to reference different object files with their own UV maps. However, as I understand it, this only works in Poser’s Traditional skinning, while subdivision, essential these days and particularly for Genesis, requires Poser Unimesh. So that’s out. Pity.

In order to get the multiple UV mapped characters, load Genesis in Studio, set the UV option you want in the Surfaces tab, and then export a cr2. I’ve built a library of quite a few of these thanks to recent sales, so I needed to do 20.

Using using the File Optimiser script in Netherworks’ Creator’s Toybox (sold in two or three other stores, I believe), you will need to optimise these to make them run happily in Poser without Studio running in the background. As part of this process, you will be asked to copy a corresponding obj file for each cr2 (I had a folder prepared for all of these and gave them handy to remember names, such as Genesis_StephanieUVs.obj).

Having 20 obj files isn’t a problem, nor is having 20 cr2 files either – the problem is that we now have 20 pmd files, each packed with about 150mb of morph data, which is a lot of bloat. Delete all but one of the cr2 files and all but one of the pmd files. Name the remaining pmd Genesis.pmd and the cr2, Genesis.cr2 and open it in a text editor.

The cr2 files reference their associated obj and pmd files twice each. So, first find and change the pmd to read Genesis.pmd and save.

The next step is to open the cr2 in Poser and do a little bit of work on it there – the sort of work you don’t want to be repeating 20 times for each UV set.

It may be that you can skip this step entirely but I like to edit the dials into groups and an order that makes sense to me, so I can quickly find stuff.

You may also want to delete some morphs at this stage if you have the Fit Control product. Fit Control works by having a set of morphs in Genesis which are then transferred to the clothing item. You then set the morphs in the clothing to the desired effect without actually using them directly in the Genesis figure. This is a problem in Poser. When you conform a clothing item in Poser, you will usually have it set up to automatically follow the morphs in the figure it’s conformed to – which means that if you try to use the Fit Control morphs you should have already transferred to the item in readiness to make it Poser native, they won’t work.

There are two solutions. Uninstall the product before exporting your Genesis cr2 files or, after you’ve finished setting up the dials where you want them, Show Hidden Parameters and right click each of the fit control morphs in turn and delete them. Make sure that your Poser preferences are for external morph targets and then save figure.

Open the cr2 again in your text editor. Find the obj file references and change the name to the first obj in your folder and re-save the cr2 with an appropriate name, then change the reference to the next obj and rinse and repeat until you’ve got yourself as many cr2 files as you have obj files with unique UV maps, all referencing the same pmd file of morphs.

Your Poser native version of Genesis is now virtually complete but before going further, you need to deal with materials and poses. You will have a whole bunch of these as Poser Companion Files, which annoyingly – and needlessly – reference Studio is some way so that if you apply them to your converted figure, you’re going to get some unwelcome slowdown. Using the File Optimiser again, you can select the contents of whole folders to optimise in one go, divorcing them from Studio.

Genesis 2 works in just the same way.

I’ll post about clothing and hair another day.

edited December 2018

Notes on Making Clothing Poser Native

Edited 26/12/19

There’s not much point in going to the trouble of making a Genesis base figure Poser native unless you are going to do the same – and with reasonable results – for clothing and hair. So far, I’m finding that this can be done easily enough but with not always with prefect results – the Poser morph brush is very handy for fixing those problems though. Products that are sold with Poser Companion Files appear to be reliably convertible so far, while some of those without can be a little problematic (I may be able to find fixes for which I’ll post about later should they be successful or not). I’ll try to focus my initial posts on these later items, which I think will be of more use to other shoppers.

Again, I really just follow the method suggested for Netherwork’s File Optimiser (with a couple of small changes) along with an added stage to introduce Fit Control morphs – if you don’t have that product, then you can skip that stage.

In Poser and pre-Genesis Studio, we have always relied on content creators supporting various body morphs in their clothing products (I’ll call these supported morphs). These days, there appears to be much more reliance on Studio’s auto following feature, which algorithmically morphs clothing to fit the figure’s body shape. This is pretty good these days but it does have some limitations – such as the shrink wrap effect, which is why I use the Fit Control morphs (looking through the store, there are other similar products that look like they do the same thing).

Supported morphs work very well with the converted products I’ve tried but morphs created by the auto follow feature can generate some poke-through in a Poser native format, some of which can be dealt with using the Fit Control morphs, while others will need Poser’s morph brush to tidy up.

Make sure you’ve reinstalled the Fit Control product after you’ve finished converting the Genesis base.

Before starting, I like to create a folder for the geometry files that the File Optimizer will want to copy.

Stage One: Fire up Studio and load your Genesis figure, conform a clothing item you want to convert, then run the Fit Control script to add those morphs to the clothing. Save this as a new clothing item (I use Save As>Support Asset>Figure/Prop Assets) and with these new items selected, create Poser Companion Files. If you are not adding Fit Control morphs, then, if the product doesn’t have Companion Files already, make them now.

In theory, it should be – and is – possible to add morphs within Studio but they don’t seem to work terribly well in Poser, sometimes behaving as if offset, so we need to add them there. In Poser, there are two options available. The first is Poser Pro’s Copy Morphs feature, which works very well but is not open to users of the Poser Standard edition, who will need to rely on the DSON importer’s Copy Active Morphs. With some items I had run into some odd behaviour from Poser but it looks like that can be avoided by working on each item of clothing individually in Stage Two.

Stage Two: Keeping Studio running, open Poser and load your Genesis figure using its Poser Companion File. Dial in all the morphs that you will want to transfer to your clothing – don’t worry about how hideous the figure will look with them all present (and it really, really will).

Now, conform ONE item of clothing and using the DSON scripts, copy the active morphs. Next you must select the clothing and Figure>Conform To… NONE. You can now save this back as a new cr2, with a new name (I’m usually using the suffix PN to indicate that it’s Poser Native) and delete the item from the scene so that you only have your Genesis figure there. Move on to the next clothing item and repeat.

It is important that the clothing is not conformed when you re-save it and also that there is no other clothing present, as both conditions can, apparently randomly, cause weird things to happen in Poser – in particular, you can end up with a new and unwanted object saved by Poser with no UVs.

Stage Three: Run Netherwork’s File Optimiser on the new cr2 files and then load it into Poser. Change the skinning method to Unimesh and make sure that you set subdivision to 1 for rendering and set up the materials (you may have Poser Companion Files to do that or you may have to do it yourself in the material room) before re-saving.

Future Posts

As I work through the library of Genesis 1&2 products that I've been buying, I'll post confirmed successes and failures in future posts. If anyone else would like to post about products that they have successfully converted, then we could build a list from which other Poser users can make decisions about whether to buy Studio products. I have, in the latest round of sales, started buying up Genesis 3 base shapes, along with some clothes, so I shall, at a later date, attempt conversions of them also.

edited December 2018

Just Wet

Excellent Conversion

I just tried Meshitup's Just Wet clothing set for the Genesis 2 male according to the above method. All worked out very well! It only supported Michael 6 but other shapes were easily added - I've added some weight and shortened this example - and all looks good in a pose. Very happy with it. I didn't do anything with the materials here - I'll note that the textures and normal map applied with the materials but I'll probably want to do a little something to make it glossy.

P_Con_JW01.jpg
    500 x 827 - 32K
    P_Con_JW02.jpg
    385 x 841 - 30K
    P_Con_JW03.jpg
    405 x 841 - 30K
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 2018
    Thanks for starting a helpful thread. Here is a freebie that speeds up the use of the DAZ cats and dog in Poser, by switching breeds quickly. https://sharecg.com/v/72419/gallery/11/Poser/Daz-Animals-Updated-Scripts
    Post edited by 3drendero on

3drendero said:
    Thanks for starting a helpful thread. Here is a freebie that speeds up the use of the DAZ cats and dog in Poser, by switching breeds quickly. https://sharecg.com/v/72419/gallery/11/Poser/Daz-Animals-Updated-Scripts

Thank you for sharing these - I'll be sure to give them a go.

edited December 2018

Time For School - Girl's School Uniform

Good Conversion

I've always tended to end up buying a small selection of children's things but never really find a use for them - now a friend would like something featuring a couple of children in school uniform. For the most part, most uniforms tend be innapropriate for children but fortunately, Dogz has some British school uniforms that are just the thing. I was a little worried that this wouldn't work - and I've yet to try the boys uniform - as I've had trouble converting his uniform dress (one of the few modern nurse uniforms out there that looks like it's for nursing). Still, it looks rather good. I didn't bother transferring the Fit morphs this time as the product supports a good range of morphs already and it's for children, I don't really have to worry about fixing shrink-wrapped breasts.

There was a little bit of a to-do over the shirt as it wasn't showing up. Ditch the transparency right away and make sure you have the normals forward on the materials - that seems to fix it. The tights and part of the tie don't load their materials at all but it's a moment's work to find the textures. The movement morphs in the skirt work well and there was no mesh tearing when I posed the figure. The clothing follows the morphs I applied quite well with only a tiny bit of poke through here and there - nothing the clothes own adjustment morphs couldn't fix though. The exception was with the tights - below I've posed what happened when I applied the Belle 6 morph. As the tights are skin-tight, I just used Poser's own morph transfer to apply the Belle morph, which did the trick.

I'll also note that when you load these using DSON from the Companion Files with conforming, weird things may happen to their apparent location and your camera - ignore it all and save them back to run through the File Optimizer.

There are two other versions of the skirt, basic and advanced rigging, which I've not tried yet. I'll try the school jumper, and boys uniform another day.

P_Con_TFS_Girls_01a.jpg
    401 x 861 - 31K
    P_Con_TFS_Girls_01b.jpg
    367 x 861 - 27K
    P_Con_TFS_Girls_01c.jpg
    372 x 857 - 41K
    P_Con_TFS_Girls_01d.jpg
    350 x 857 - 41K
    edited December 2018

Time for School Asia

Good Conversion

Just a quick follow up from the last post - I had picke up a bunch of clothes from Dogz in one of the sales. I must admit that I'm not sure what I'm going to use this for but I dare say that I'll think of something. Perhaps I can find a Katana somewhere.

Anywho, I've had a go at converting for Poser and it worked out fairly well. There was a little hiccough with the panties and socks, which both lost their morphs - I can't envision a senario where I would need the panties to be visible and the socks are a simple enough item that I can just add morphs with Poser's copy morph option. This is a quick test image with a stock pose and the Belle 6 shape, which is one of a fair number supported (so, as above, I didn't bother with the Fit Control morphs). I copied the Belle morph to the socks, which went fine and otherwise, all was well with the mesh. I did need to use the morph brush on the shirt over the right thigh but that sort of thing is par for the course and no trouble.

P_Con_TFS_Asian.jpg
    355 x 861 - 31K
    edited December 2018

Frivolous Forties

Largely a Good Conversion

This one worked out fairly well - it doesn't support many morphs, so I added some as outlined in the posts above, among them the Stephanie 6 and Thin morphs shown here. I did have to use the  morph brush on a patch at her arm but I was more concerned with the oddity of the left shoe - not sure what is happening there but I can paint over it, so I won't worry. Otherwise, all seems okay and so I think I can put this to good use.

P_Con_Friv40s.jpg
    445 x 854 - 39K
    edited December 2018

Sinful Nights

Good Conversion

This one came is advertised as Poser compatible using DSON, so I expected to convert without any trouble and true enough, it did fine. Again, I didn't bother with the Fit Control morphs this time as, although not stated on the product page, it does come with a reasonable selection of supported morphs already. To be honest, I'm not really interested in the lingerie but it works well enough. The coat is the item to buy this package for and has some fitting morphs to widen parts enough to have a proper outfit worn under it, so it is certainly a good buy from my perspective.

P_Con_SinfulNights.jpg
    366 x 856 - 44K
    edited December 2018

V6 Timeless Dress

Good Conversion

(but with bumps along the way)

I'm going to have to amend my notes on clothing conversions to account for some oddities that seem to occure now and then with the method that I had outlined above.

I began by following that method and found, as with some other items that I'll come to in later posts, that, after adding morphs, when I saved the cr2 prior to running the File Optimizer, an obj file was created along with it. Not an obvious problem, save that these obj files have no UVs. If you run against this problem, it is usually solved by omitting the step of adding morphs using DSON, as recommended in Netherwork's guide. Instead, load the item from the companion file and save that back under the same name. Now run that cr2 through the File Optimizer. If you need to add morphs, then you'll have to rely on Poser's Copy Morph feature (I think that may be a pro only feature though, so if you don't have Poser Pro, you will have to make do with whatever morphs are supported by the item).

In this instance, while the boots worked (mostly) just fine (I had trouble with the foot pose and ended up making the hiding the toes to render), it was the dress that gave me realy grief.

So, things to note beyond that. There are very few supported morphs - off hand, I think the only shapes are V6 and Gia 6, along with a few odd items for smaller breasts. There are no adjustment or movement morphs. The mesh is simple and light, and the clothing wrinkles are not a part of it, instead being from a displacement map. In this image, I've used Poser to add the Stephanie 6 morph which created a little poke through here and there which I took care of using the added Fit Control morphs. 

The Boots have a single texture file with the reflections baked in, so you might want to re-texture these. The dress has both a texture and, as already mentioned, a displacement map. Conventionally, when applying a displacement map in Poser, you would use a maths function, with subtraction set at .5 - don't do that here, just apply the map directly to the node and set the displacement value for something like 0.025.

P_Con_Timeless.jpg
    455 x 843 - 40K
    edited December 2018

Waitress Uniform

Good Conversion

A waitress that's not a pinup - fantastic. I did have some odd goings on as detailed in the previous post but they were avoided the same way by using the Poser Companion Files I created - loading each item on its own and saving it back (there are companion files included with the product but I like the Fit Control morphs). There are only two or three shapes supported in the product, so here I've added the Stephanie 6 morph using Poser's Copy Morph and then a combination of the clothes' morphs and the Fit Control morphs to deal with the odd bit of poke through.

My only niggle would the bow tie, which deforms with the head turning - I'll save it out as a smart prop to solve that though. Otherwise, I'm rather pleased. In the second image you can see that the clothing has some thickness morphs for both the cloth and the buttons, which helps define the vest where the lighting blends it with the skirt. The blouse has some nice casual morphs for the buttons and base.

P_Con_Waitress1a.jpg
    437 x 861 - 37K
    P_Con_Waitress1c.jpg
    460 x 861 - 37K
    P_Con_Waitress1b.jpg
    446 x 861 - 37K
    edited December 2018

M601

Good Conversion

This is another one that I had to convert without adding the morphs first as I had the already mentioned problems. However, it gave me no further troubles. I've added the M6 morph here and had to use the Fit Control morphs to get rid of some poke through - there's still a little showing on the V Neck and I had to use the morph brush on the neck of the Turtle Neck. It's a good, sharp looking outfit, so I'm looking forward to working with it.

P_Con_M601 Shirt.jpg
    378 x 861 - 34K
    P_Con_M601 VNeck.jpg
    372 x 861 - 34K
    P_Con_M601 Turtle.jpg
    382 x 861 - 32K

I've now edited the notes on converting clothing to work around the problems I had been having with some of the above items.

edited December 2018

Law Enforcement Outfit

Good Conversion (with a hiccough)

This is a uniform set that includes versions for both Genesis 2 and 3. The Genesis 3 version appears to support a range of 7th Generation character and body morphs, while the Genesis 2 version, which I’m using here, appears to be bare bones, so you do need to add your own (note there are a lot of parented props that won’t follow morphs, so you will still need to adjust them manually). There is also a texture expansion that comes with a couple more hat (I’ve used one of those textures in the image here) – I would very much recommend this.

While I have purchased a range of Genesis 3 items in this last sale and am aware that it can be converted to Poser, I’m not quite ready to take on that task, so for the moment, I’ve only converted the Genesis 2 version. It was not sold as Poser compatible, so you will need to create Poser Companion files. For the Boots, Shirt, Vest, Belt, Cord, Cap, Hat, and Gloves, you will need to create cr2 files as usual but for everything else (including the ranger and sheriff hats), remember to set the file to pp2 for props. (Remember also to create companion files for the hand poses which you’ll want for the props.)

I did find a little poke through but it was easily fixed by the usual means.

The hiccough is that the police hat (not the cap) is something I could not get to appear in Poser at all – I even tried exporting a cr2 but not joy. The only way I could do it in the end was to export an obj file and import that into Poser as a Prop – that worked fine.

I’m afraid that this one will make you put in a little bit of time though. When you apply the converted materials, you’ll find only bare bones. For some reason, the diffuse colour is set to grey for everything and you will certainly need to make that white. It is also worth your while to make sure that the normal maps apply. There are quite a few material regions, so this will take a while. I still need to do a little work here as I’ve got some unwelcome seams to deal with.

What will also take a while is the loading, re-saving, and then converting with File Optimizer, all of the parented props. That said, this is the best item of its kind that I’ve found, so if you do real world stuff, then this should be worth you efforts.

P_Con_LawEnf01.jpg
    452 x 829 - 41K
    edited December 2018

Chef's Uniform

Good Conversion (with a couple of notes)

This outfit was not advertised as Poser compatible but it works well enough with a couple of quirks. First of all, the hat is a problem – it just doesn’t conform in place properly. Just parent it and save out as a smart prop. The other oddity is that the shoes are very narrow, so there’s plenty of poke through on the feet but nothing 30 seconds with the morph brush can’t handle.

I couldn’t see that there were any supported morphs though, so you will have to add your own. On the second image, I’ve added some stockiness to him. You can also see some white seams which I though was due to my sloppy material settings - however, looking at the texures, they are outlined with a heavy white line, I'll go over that with black, which should fix the problem.

P_Con_Chef_01.jpg
    420 x 861 - 35K
    P_Con_Chef_02.jpg
    535 x 861 - 32K
    edited December 2018

Doctor's Coat and Suit

Mostly a Good Conversion - but no neck tie

Another item not advertised as Poser compatible – though in one part, this is correct. Everything converts rather well, though again, you need to add you own morphs (there are three supported morphs on this one) and there is the same issue with white seams on the trousers as I had on the previous post but which should be quickly fixable in a photo editor. Also like the previous post (by the same creator), was that the shoes were rather too narrow for the feet (again, fixed quickly with the morph brush). The problem component is the tie – I believe the issue is that it has groups that don’t belong to a body part. It may be that I can fix it, in which case I will re-visit this post, but for now, assume that it won’t work. Fortunately, the short has some nice open morphs for the top couple of buttons, so it isn’t too great a loss for me.

In these pics, I’ve just added a little stockiness again. There are two coats, one open and one closed. For the closed coat, I changed the colour of the shirt in the material room to provide a little contrast with the coat.

P_Con_Doc01.jpg
    431 x 858 - 35K
    P_Con_Doc02.jpg
    434 x 861 - 37K
    P_Con_Doc03.jpg
    380 x 861 - 33K
    edited December 2018

Tuxedo

Good Conversion

Again, not advertised as Poser compatible but it works just fine. As with the previous couple of posts, both from the same creator, there were those white seams – you can fix them buy opening the texture file in a photo editor (just use a fill tool to deal with the white boarders). I couldn’t see any supported shapes, so you will need to add morphs yourself. Also, as with the previous two, the shoes are very narrow for the feet, so you’ll want use the morph brush.

As for materials, I set the diffuse for the jacket and trousers to grey but black for the areas that were to be glossy (and to these I attached a lighting/glossy node to the alternate specular which did the trick well enough for my needs). There are also some displacement maps that you’ll need to attach yourself if you want use them.

P_Con_Tux.jpg
    455 x 861 - 35K
    edited December 2018

Vintage Boxer

Good Conversion but no Towel

Not advertised as Poser compatible but all works well enough save for the towel which is a shame. I believe that it's a problem with the groupling, so at a later date, I shall look into the possibility of fixing it. There are a few supported shapes but it would still be worth adding some more and you shall also have to do a little work on the materials.

P_Con_VintageBoxer.jpg
    377 x 861 - 36K
    edited January 2019

Head Dresses for Genesis

Good Conversion

This is not advertised as being Poser Compatible but if you create some companion files, they work just fine. I was able to add a range of morphs for different shapes (the one shown here is David 5). The items have morphs to allow them to be worn over clothing or hair. The goggles will tend to have poke through - I found it easier to adjust their possition first and then touch up little with the morph brush if needed. Do remember to apply Poser's subdivision on render, which makes a big difference.

P_Con_HD_Cap_Goggles_Mask1.jpg
    620 x 861 - 50K
    P_Con_HD_Knitted_Shawl.jpg
    622 x 861 - 52K
    P_Con_HD_Scarf1.jpg
    626 x 861 - 48K
    P_Con_HD_Bandana_Mask2.jpg
    605 x 861 - 42K
    P_Con_HD_Scarf2.jpg
    627 x 861 - 53K
  • philebus said:

So, here's a post to get the ball rolling...

Merchasar's Worms

This is set of 9 wriggly figures which are not Poser ready but which work just fine. I created companion files within Studio and they will work just fine with those - though I didn't have much luck with the mat fils, so you'll need to apply textures yourself and save out the materials. The eye stalks of the snail are not rigged - but that really isn't a deal breaker, it is a terrific little model and doubles as a slug. None of them come with anything like EasyPose and when I get around to installing Easypose Underground on this machine, I might add it but as they are, these seem fairly easy to work with.

Even at its full price, this seems like great value to me and the models are worth a little of your time to convert. Here are a couple of images...

I especially like the caterpillar!

• philebus said:

Some Notes on Making Genesis into a Native Poser Figure

One big difference between the way Genesis works and how we’re used to Poser figures working, is in the UV maps. Different full body morphs will often have there own custom UV map associated with them to limit texture stretching, which is a nice feature.

In theory, it might have been possible to implement in Poser by using geometry switching dials to reference different object files with their own UV maps. However, as I understand it, this only works in Poser’s Traditional skinning, while subdivision, essential these days and particularly for Genesis, requires Poser Unimesh. So that’s out. Pity.

In order to get the multiple UV mapped characters, load Genesis in Studio, set the UV option you want in the Surfaces tab, and then export a cr2. I’ve built a library of quite a few of these thanks to recent sales, so I needed to do 20.

Using using the File Optimiser script in Netherworks’ Creator’s Toybox (sold in two or three other stores, I believe), you will need to optimise these to make them run happily in Poser without Studio running in the background. As part of this process, you will be asked to copy a corresponding obj file for each cr2 (I had a folder prepared for all of these and gave them handy to remember names, such as Genesis_StephanieUVs.obj).

Having 20 obj files isn’t a problem, nor is having 20 cr2 files either – the problem is that we now have 20 pmd files, each packed with about 150mb of morph data, which is a lot of bloat. Delete all but one of the cr2 files and all but one of the pmd files. Name the remaining pmd Genesis.pmd and the cr2, Genesis.cr2 and open it in a text editor.

The cr2 files reference their associated obj and pmd files twice each. So, first find and change the pmd to read Genesis.pmd and save.

The next step is to open the cr2 in Poser and do a little bit of work on it there – the sort of work you don’t want to be repeating 20 times for each UV set.

It may be that you can skip this step entirely but I like to edit the dials into groups and an order that makes sense to me, so I can quickly find stuff.

You may also want to delete some morphs at this stage if you have the Fit Control product. Fit Control works by having a set of morphs in Genesis which are then transferred to the clothing item. You then set the morphs in the clothing to the desired effect without actually using them directly in the Genesis figure. This is a problem in Poser. When you conform a clothing item in Poser, you will usually have it set up to automatically follow the morphs in the figure it’s conformed to – which means that if you try to use the Fit Control morphs you should have already transferred to the item in readiness to make it Poser native, they won’t work.

There are two solutions. Uninstall the product before exporting your Genesis cr2 files or, after you’ve finished setting up the dials where you want them, Show Hidden Parameters and right click each of the fit control morphs in turn and delete them. Make sure that your Poser preferences are for external morph targets and then save figure.

Open the cr2 again in your text editor. Find the obj file references and change the name to the first obj in your folder and re-save the cr2 with an appropriate name, then change the reference to the next obj and rinse and repeat until you’ve got yourself as many cr2 files as you have obj files with unique UV maps, all referencing the same pmd file of morphs.

Your Poser native version of Genesis is now virtually complete but before going further, you need to deal with materials and poses. You will have a whole bunch of these as Poser Companion Files, which annoyingly – and needlessly – reference Studio is some way so that if you apply them to your converted figure, you’re going to get some unwelcome slowdown. Using the File Optimiser again, you can select the contents of whole folders to optimise in one go, divorcing them from Studio.

Genesis 2 works in just the same way.

I’ll post about clothing and hair another day.

Thanks for sharing the information!

edited January 2019

Streets of London

Good Conversion

Not advertised as Poser Compatible but it is supplied with a folder of Obj files along with Mtl files to help with texturing. You can, of course, import the Ojb files, re-scale them (they are not to Poser scale), adjust the textures, and then try to place each in its proper place. You can - but I can't recommend trying it (way back when it was released I thought to give it a go and it took a while - and I still didn't get a fraction of it done).

Create a Poser Companion file from the DAZ Studio Scene file.

Open that in Poser through the DSON importer and save the scene file back. Now run it through Netherwork's File Optimizer. You are going to have to save out a little shy of one hundred Obj files, which will take a little while but not as long as you might think (you don't have the change the name of the files, just save them to a prepared folder). Once Optimizer has finished prompting you to save all those Obj's, you'll need to go and put the kettle on a settle down with a chapter or two of a book - it has a lot of processing to do. At the end of it though, you have a scene that opens natively in Poser with everything to scale and in its proper place - all you need to do is tweak the materials and add some lighting.

This image is just to show the model working natively in Poser - I've hardly touched the materials myself and the lighting is basic. The bottom line is that it will require a bit of work to get the most out of but a great deal and it's likely to be worth it.

P_Con_StreetsOfLondon04.jpg
    900 x 691 - 141K
    P_Con_StreetsOfLondon02.jpg
    900 x 516 - 166K
    P_Con_StreetsOfLondon03.jpg
    900 x 623 - 224K
  • edited January 2019

Hi, Philebus.

I see what you've managed to import an architectural model into Poser by first creating companion files for it in Studio and then allowing the DSON importer in Poser to bring the results into Poser stage but that is where I am currently stuck. I have created a scene file for an architectural model that I do have in Daz and have created the Poser companion files for it (maybe I did something wrong in that process) and I can find DSON in my Poser within the Python Scripts menu but then that's as far as I have been able to go with this. Could you please perhaps provide some screenshots and a step-by-step on how to properly go about this process?

Here is the model I am working with, rendered in Daz with Iray.

108_Ocean_Ave-Exterior1.png
    1908 x 1073 - 3M
    Post edited by screenmagic70mm_8720a0297d on