Terrain Editor and Heightmap Generators for Bryce

Comments

• Eugenius MaximusEugenius Maximus Posts: 157
    edited November 2018

The texture that I had originally picked didn't do justice to the landscape when the view of the camera changed. I had to modify the texture and eventually go back and do more texturing research, for which I duplicated a terrain and used the brackets to split them, added different textures and trees. I'll probably reduce the amount of the same trees and add a couple of different ones to add variety. 

I'm adding an aerial view image.

Modor Geo Landscape - Original Texture.png
    1114 x 819 - 1M
    Texture Terrain Shop 3.png
    1114 x 819 - 402K
    Texture Terrain Shop 4.png
    1114 x 819 - 437K
    Texture Terrain Shop 5.png
    1114 x 819 - 462K
    Post edited by Eugenius Maximus on
  • launoklaunok Posts: 778
    edited November 2018
    c-ram said:

Depending of what you want to produce with Bryce but, if your goal is realistic landscape renders then the price to pay is here : using world machine for terrains (or download real terrain from terrainparty.com), speedtree/xfrog, plant factory/growfx for vegetation, and some photogrammetric stuff from megascan or sketchfab to complete your scene.

C-ram:  You mention real terrain from terrainparty.com to download ... when I go to terrainparty.com I see only an online map but no options for downloads.  Am I missing something here?  I have played a bit with this map but online though.  Can one use it offline too?  Another thing I am not sure if I am doing it correct ... the block with grid (area you want to use), I had to move/drag it physically with my mouse all the way down to my country, South Africa, to use Table Mountain.  Is this the only way to go to other areas in the World using terrainparty? 

The other options you mention as speedtree and plant factory - I assume not freebies?  Sorry for asking, but I can't buy stuff, only looking for free possibilities for landscape creators.  I have already World Machine Basic but haven't used it. 

Post edited by launok on
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596

In Terrainparty just use the + and - in the top left corner of screen to zoom right out. Then move the grid to where you want and zoom in.

Adjust the size of the area you want by clicking the + and - on the right.

The Download button is the Cloud with the Down arrow , top right.

I noticed the Search function finds absolutely nothing ever. I tried loads of countries, cities, towns etc but it never finds them.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,754
    edited November 2018

Eugenius: those are nice terrain examples. 

When exporting and importing from Terrain party, you will see that adjacent ex/imports will not have the same absolute/relative height. I think Horo somewhere indicated how to ensure that they get the same height where they should have that.

I combined an output from World Machine with some work in the terrain editor in Bryce. I always forget to write down what I did, so I cannot tell you in detail. However, I think I selected a part at the bottom at which I used the Alt-posterise trick. I like it! The basis was the 'dry mountains' that I showed here earlier.

Second one: Pyramid under construction. In principle the same trick (terrain, partly posterised + partly alt-posterised).

dry mountains2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    pyramid building.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,107

Eugenius and Hansmar - nice terrain work.

edited November 2018

Two more. First one original Bryce TE posterised and subcontours. I guess my child was playing with his blocks? The second one started with a picture of a painting in the TE. I triplicated it (three different resolutions), smoothed them, added some elevation to one with a brush, alt-posterised, straightened in x and z. And I gave them different architectural textures.

Block-island.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    City_blocks.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
  • Hansmar - Thanks. Really Nice work combining Terrain Party and World Machine terrains. 

Horo - Thanks. Really clean and refined terrains, especially City Blocks.

Even though I'm bummed that GeoControl Demo has expired, I'm still going full ahead with experiments. The first experiment one is World Machine Mountain Lake terrain at 513 resolution at the upper left corner. The terrain was imported in Terre Sculptor Standard (Free Unlimited); a Slope Mask and added and imported in Bryce TE as a PNG heightmap and Minimum Blended at the upper right. A Flowline Mask was also created in TS and imported in Bryce and Minimum Blended as well, at the lower left. Finally added Bryce's Height Noise at the lower right. All 4 terrains are at 512 Terrain Resolution.

The second experiment is a GeoControl terrain at the top, textured. The lower terrain was imported in TS and a Flowline Mask was heavily Blended in Bryce TE, giving it that detailed but weird alien terrain. Both terrains are at 2048 Terrain Resolution.

World Machine_TerreSculptor Tests.png
    1114 x 819 - 702K
    GeoControl_TerreSculptor Test.png
    1114 x 819 - 788K
  • RasberriRasberri Posts: 266
    edited November 2018

Love the Scifi terrains here.  I spent some time learning more about WC1 and 2.  I generated this terrain in WC using fluvial erosion and exported it as a png height map and the color texture map for it as well.

WCSunsetValleyTerrain0.jpg
    1754 x 834 - 247K
    Post edited by Rasberri on
  • Rasberri - Really nice fluvial erosion landscape. The color texture looks good; nice work.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,985

Nice terrain experiments from everyone

edited November 2018

Rasberri - Really nice fluvial erosion landscape. The color texture looks good; nice work.

Thanks, really like yours as well.. going to do some research & watch some tutorials regarding "splat maps"  I think Steam was having a sale over the holiday,. you may find WC1 on sale over there at some point.  I know for sure they have a huge sale after the xmas holdiays.

I wanted to share this link.. looks like the free version limits the size, but it appears you can output height and texture maps with this program:

http://www.earthsculptor.com/buy.htm

edited November 2018

Mermaid010 - Thanks.

Rasberri - Thanks. That's awesome that you're researching Splat Maps; I should do the same as I bought Bryce Pro Filter, Noise and Metals but never watched the related videos. Thanks for inspiring me. My wallet is a bit tight right now and though I would love to get WC1 or WC2, I may have to wait a while. 

I downloaded Earth Sculptor and will check it out; thanks for the link.

edited December 2018

Nice work, Rasberri.

I used a painting to start the first terrain here, used it as picture in the TE. Needs quite some stretching and smoothing in the Terrain Editor, but in the end it works. Added some birds and shells, because I saw it as a coast render.

The other one (desert) is a couple of similar World Machine terrain. One major action in Bryce was to use 'square edges' to get rid of the hard edges. Nor very nice, but otherwise there were half hills with sudden drops in view.

rocky coast.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 756K
    Desert2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 886K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,985

Hansmar - nice renders

• Hansmar - Incredibly well done. 

Hansmar - interesting experiments. I also experimented with photographs as terrains quite a while ago - once I even held my face on a flatbed scanner for a horror landscape.

Mermaid, Eugenius, Horo: My thanks. Horo, I see you survived the scare.

edited December 2018
    Horo said:

Hansmar - interesting experiments. I also experimented with photographs as terrains quite a while ago - once I even held my face on a flatbed scanner for a horror landscape.

That is too funny.. some inspiration over the holidays to do some "different heightmaps"..

I am going to participate with WC2 for software testing while I have a week off..... really excited to do some beta testing....

Eugenius:  I am going to try some of your inspiring cave work

• Rasberri - I'm getting myself WC1 for Christmas and looking forward payday :-) I hope your beta testing is going well.

The WIP image experiment consists of 2 World Machine Basic generated terrains. The canyon had rain erosion added in Terre Sculptor and the island had subplateaus effects added. 

Canyon Island WIP.png
    1114 x 819 - 2M
    edited December 2018

Rasberri - I'm getting myself WC1 for Christmas and looking forward payday :-) I hope your beta testing is going well.

The WIP image experiment consists of 2 World Machine Basic generated terrains. The canyon had rain erosion added in Terre Sculptor and the island had subplateaus effects added. 

Ahh cool beans!!!, Tommorrow afternoon I am on Holiday.. so I am looking forward to diving into some terrains.. I got me a used mac for xmas.. I am setting it up as a dedicated Bryce PC.. as for whatever reason my Windows 10 desktop is such a pain...So I will have a dedicated photo and Bryce PC (Woohooo!smiley)...I like your pic....Awesome terrain.. love it.  I need to do more with World Machine.. guess I have been so caught up with WC1 and 2 :)  I still will always hold Bryce as my first love cheeky

Here is a link for WC Discord server: https://discordapp.com/invite/bjMteus-  I am really impressed with the software developers for this product and how they have engaged the community for suggestions - lots of inspiration there as well.  You can download the app software for it separately.  The other thing I am really loving is the ability to export color terrain maps.  Need to see if world machine has this feature as well. 

Hansmar:  I really love the coastal scene and the texturing colors in the cliffs! Awesome work

Rasberri: Thanks.

Eugenius: That is a very nice looking island, surrounded by some really high cliffs.

• Rasberri - I'm using World Machine Basic and Terre Sculptor Standard until I get World Creator. Thanks for the kind compliment and especially the discordapp link; I just registered and checking it out :-)

Hansmar - Thanks.

I wish you both and the Bryce Daz community a very Merry Christmas. 

edited December 2018

I caught Santa leaving me a lump of coal; so I tied him up and used his credit card smiley

World Creator 1.png
    1280 x 984 - 2M

Eugenius - nice island in the caldera. Good use of trees, lake water seems to have risen.devil   Looks like you've got WC, hope it'll give you a lot of fun.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    Horo said:

Eugenius - nice island in the caldera. Good use of trees, lake water seems to have risen.devil   Looks like you've got WC, hope it'll give you a lot of fun.

Ha! My google translator translates WC as water closet.laugh

Rasberri - I'm getting myself WC1 for Christmas and looking forward payday :-) I hope your beta testing is going well.

In Daz Gallery the lighting is more convincing!

Google translator is right. In our context, it means World Creator. laugh

edited December 2018
    Horo said:

Google translator is right. In our context, it means World Creator. laugh

It is better if he did not translate an abbreviation at all. All the people on the planet are literate. At least those that have access to the Internet. And sometimes it turns out such an abracadabra... wink

In Russian, by the way, this place has many synonyms: уборная, туалет (from the French toilette), ватерклозет (from the English water closet) and a few more words.

Post edited by Slepalex on
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596

I don't understand why the Americans refer to it as the bathroom, even though there is only a toilet in there.

May be they are not allowed to say toilet on American T.V.

• Horo - Many thanks. It was good being challenged with free limited terrain generators and having Bryce to put it all together. 
    Slepalexsmiley
    StuartB - Here in the US, the bathroom usually refers to a toilet in a house; Mens Room, Ladies Room or Restroom usually refers to a public toilet. Most Americans can't speak proper English. American slang for a toilet includes The Johns, The Crapper and Porcelain Throne, just to name a few smiley