Carrara Rain Storm - Free to Carrara Users - beta released (updated)

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

Thanks, it's surprisingly easy to use, even for me :) 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Thank you, Andrew!

The new StormCreek file opened without error.  yesyes 

Looking forward to playing with it.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,656
    edited December 2018

Had a few problems when I first started, then I read the directions.

Autumn Rain 1.png
    800 x 1040 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited December 2018

Thank you, Andrew!

The new StormCreek file opened without error.  yesyes 

Looking forward to playing with it.

Pleasure Ted, looking forward to seeing what you make!!

Bunyip02, thats absolutely spiffing :)  Looks like a sunshower!

Here's something I did with Philemenos cutouts making a few snowflakes then substituting the rain drops with snow.

The cutouts are attached. If you subsittute them for the rain  - you'll need to untick align with normals in the surface replicator and srop the size of the snowflakes down to 3percent (?) (instade of 100 percent) in the Motion tab

Image may contain: tree and outdoor

txt
    txt
    snowcutoutsPost.txt
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

sweet..

had a funny one not long ago... used Harpsburg on a rainy day and Carrara hung with one tile left to render about 1/3rd through.... weird surprise

sweet..

had a funny one not long ago... used Harpsburg on a rainy day and Carrara hung with one tile left to render about 1/3rd through.... weird surprise

hmm, maybe water on the mother board :)?

hope that's a one off!

• sweet..

hope that's a one off!

you can still save it though and postwork out the tile 

just for future reference yes

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,976

__and can this Be in Carrea 7 Pro ??

sweet..

hope that's a one off!

you can still save it though and postwork out the tile 

just for future reference yes

Nope.. it hung Carrara.. had to Ctrl-Alt-Del it.. crying

ed3D said:

should be okay, all the shaders are procedural so no mip mapping that I am aware of - let me know how you go

• Thanks, it's surprisingly easy to use, even for me :) 

Awesome, Bunyip!  What were some of your other settings, if I may ask?  Looks painted.

Here's something I did with Philemenos cutouts making a few snowflakes then substituting the rain drops with snow.

The cutouts are attached. If you subsittute them for the rain  - you'll need to untick align with normals in the surface replicator and srop the size of the snowflakes down to 3percent (?) (instade of 100 percent) in the Motion tab

I haven't tried it yet, but HW, you have obviously gone above and beyond the call.  Such a cool product!

edited December 2018

Awesome, Bunyip!  What were some of your other settings, if I may ask?  Looks painted.

I haven't tried it yet, but HW, you have obviously gone above and beyond the call.  Such a cool product!

It's the stock scene from Howie Farkes excellent Country Lane 2 - Autumnia - https://www.daz3d.com/country-lane-2-autumnia

Primivol cloud added to background.

With Headwax's Rain1 - Storm Beta, Lights and Dummy Lights were removed, light with http set at about 40%

Then in Post-work, Brightness set at -39 and Contrast set at 23, no other post work done as I was happy with the result.

Autumn Rain Carrara setup.png
    2261 x 1046 - 812K
    Autumn Rain Contrast setup.png
    1774 x 944 - 886K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • Quick and easy, thanks Bunyip!

I put the dummy light in because whenever I loaded up the rain with the attached lights the first light would lose its focus (meant to light up the rain objects) so I threw in the dummy to fix it

I put the dummy light in because whenever I loaded up the rain with the attached lights the first light would lose its focus (meant to light up the rain objects) so I threw in the dummy to fix it

Hello Headwax, I assumed it was there for a reason, but I had to slowly delete/lower lights for Howie's scene as it was turning out too bright, will have to try it in a dark scene and see how it works.

Hello Headwax, I assumed it was there for a reason, but I had to slowly delete/lower lights for Howie's scene as it was turning out too bright, will have to try it in a dark scene and see how it works.

well the light in this looks superb!

Image may contain: text, outdoor and water

image revisited

sorry UB just saw your comments , thank you :)

• Hi, been working on this for a while. Just a simple rain storm with splashes and puddles. Would be ideal to use with Diomede's free trees.

EDIT: Please find the beta files attached to this post. To use rename the files from txt files to car files.

EDIT 2: Have uploaded new Storm Creek with Shaders removed (after  feedback)  - apologies

Feel free to fine tune them or offer suggestions etc. Commercial renders fine of course. Any problems please let me know.

I didn't include lightening etc. Maybe later ;)

Instructions for use in the next post.

Silly question, but how exactly do I download these files?

Hi, been working on this for a while. Just a simple rain storm with splashes and puddles. Would be ideal to use with Diomede's free trees.

EDIT: Please find the beta files attached to this post. To use rename the files from txt files to car files.

EDIT 2: Have uploaded new Storm Creek with Shaders removed (after  feedback)  - apologies

Feel free to fine tune them or offer suggestions etc. Commercial renders fine of course. Any problems please let me know.

At the bottom of the very first post are 3 txt files, download them then rename the .txt to .car

Have fun !!!

well the light in this looks superb!

Thanks but you and Howie did all of the hard work !!!

Hi, been working on this for a while. Just a simple rain storm with splashes and puddles. Would be ideal to use with Diomede's free trees.

not silly.. can be tricky if you haven't done it before..

what I do is put the mouse pointer over the filename link.. Right Mouse click and 'Save Link As' ... then rename the file with the .CAR extension .. it will download to your selected option in your browser.. yes

• Bunyip, Stezza,

Thanks. I've got it working now.

Headwax,

WOWOWOW! Looks very good. Thanks a ton for this tool!

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    edited December 2018

Fantastic Christmas present, thank you!

I'm just starting work on a noir animation, so your timing is superb.

It was raining in the city. A cold rain . . .

city with rain.png
    1000 x 563 - 907K
    Post edited by Cbird on
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,976
    ed3D said:

should be okay, all the shaders are procedural so no mip mapping that I am aware of - let me know how you go

_Alright Then,, Thanks

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

looks really good.

poor buppy laying out in the rain.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited December 2018

StormCreek was more challenging to understand than I thought going in.  It is a faily complex scene, with a lot of elements. Very Dartanbeck-esque.

One file  - stormcreekwithshaders - would not load.  Not sure what it is supposed to do.

The main file loads fine.  But I immediately discovered that it is very sluggish.  I attempt to rotate the scene by moving the mouse, and two seconds later, the scene begins to move.  Why is it so slow?  The render time is very slow as well.  Is it the surface replicators?  The Carrara hair plants?  Maybe my processor isn't powerful enough?  I tried selecting different elements in the file, but nothing seemed to help.  Note - I didn't try any of the synchronize camera stuff.

The splashes file loaded easily, and was relativey easy to position on the water.  I raised it a bit too high on the following render, but that is easy to correct.

In the render below, all I added was the tree to the preexisting elements in the scene, and some GMIC.  The render is not meant to be great art, but to show that the product works as advertised.  HW, nicely done!  Excellent effect, really nice morph package for the rain effect, and a very interesting terrain.  I need to figure out how to save out the rain and splashes so I can use them on other scenes.

This will get a lot of use, thanks!

HW StormCreek.png
    3000 x 1733 - 7M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Bunyip, Stezza,

Thanks. I've got it working now.

Headwax,

WOWOWOW! Looks very good. Thanks a ton for this tool!

great news! pleasure :) 

Cbird said:

Fantastic Christmas present, thank you!

I'm just starting work on a noir animation, so your timing is superb.

It was raining in the city. A cold rain . . .

CBird, terrific render, looks amazing with those dark clouds. Merry Chrissie :) It was a cold and stormy night :)

Mystarra said:

looks really good.

poor buppy laying out in the rain.

yes but he/she is clean :) I think it is Rosie a free dog.

edited December 2018

StormCreek was more challenging to understand than I thought going in.  It is a faily complex scene, with a lot of elements. Very Dartanbeck-esque.

One file  - stormcreekwithshaders - would not load.  Not sure what it is supposed to do.

The main file loads fine.  But I immediately discovered that it is very sluggish.  I attempt to rotate the scene by moving the mouse, and two seconds later, the scene begins to move.  Why is it so slow?  The render time is very slow as well.  Is it the surface replicators?  The Carrara hair plants?  Maybe my processor isn't powerful enough?  I tried selecting different elements in the file, but nothing seemed to help.  Note - I didn't try any of the synchronize camera stuff.

The splashes file loaded easily, and was relativey easy to position on the water.  I raised it a bit too high on the following render, but that is easy to correct.

In the render below, all I added was the tree to the preexisting elements in the scene, and some GMIC.  The render is not meant to be great art, but to show that the product works as advertised.  HW, nicely done!  Excellent effect, really nice morph package for the rain effect, and a very interesting terrain.  I need to figure out how to save out the rain and splashes so I can use them on other scenes.

This will get a lot of use, thanks!

Hey Ub great stuff! Terrific with the tree. Thanks for that feedback.

Argh, sorry it is slow, if you select the surface replicators they have 'mesh' selected in what they show (over on right)

Just choose 'points' or 'none' and that should speed up the scene. 

It renders pretty fast on my machine. (I hate slow renders) If I get a slowly rendering scene I usually delete all the lights - then just add one or two and see if that helps.

I tried to make it at fast scene so none of the lights should have soft shadows etc. I opted for replicated meshes rather than transmapping the rain on a plain so I could add morphs to the rain drops. Maybe you could delete the replicated clouds I used for 'atmopshere' and that would speed up the renders?

As for the rain by itself I thought I loaded it up seperately - sorry. I'll reupload it tonight or tomorrow. 

regards from oz :)

thanks to everyone who has tried this ! very happy seeing the resulting renders.

Post edited by Headwax on