What is the best way to make symetric morphs in blender

Hey,

humans have to arms, two eyes, two breasts...

I currently playing around with blender and I would like to know what is the best way to symetrice the vertix modifications in blender for a genesis figure?

I read that is not a good idea to use the Symetrice, after it is deleting half of the vertices and duplicates the other side. So.. what is the way to go?

Thanks

Comments

• Sculpt mode, X Symmetry Lock.

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038

Yes, this is working, but is there also an option in edit mode, because I like to do my changes with vertex editing?

I found a solution.

Mesh Options -> X-Mirror

Screenshot (63).png
    224 x 339 - 21K
  • gerster said:

I found a solution.

Mesh Options -> X-Mirror

Does that preserve the topology - vertex count and vertex order? If not it won't work as a morph.

• gerster said:

I found a solution.

Mesh Options -> X-Mirror

Does that preserve the topology - vertex count and vertex order? If not it won't work as a morph.

As long as you use brushes that only move and do not create geometry as in any other program.

X-mirror is an edit option but only if the mesh is fully symmetrical.

Hey Richard,

I‘m new to blender. I don‘t know much about what you are asking, but I created a morph, mirrored it and imported into DAZ and got the result I want. ;)
    So, I would answer you question with... yes?

• gerster said:

Hey Richard,

I‘m new to blender. I don‘t know much about what you are asking, but I created a morph, mirrored it and imported into DAZ and got the result I want. ;)
    So, I would answer you question with... yes?

Yes, which Cris confirms above too. I just wanted to check it worked before you did too much work with it.

• You might want to read on X Mirror and Topology Mirror:

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/meshes/editing/mesh_options.html

Uh yeah, it is late ;) I was just cunfused about topology but after reading the Blender docu I know now what Richard meant ;) On this page I discovered the X-Mirror feature btw.

I‘m just a bit irritated that Cris still talks about brushes. Brushes are only for Sculp mode, right? But I was talking about the Edit mode, because I did some correcting morphs which are much easier to achive in the Edit mode. Just to clarify. ;)

• I'm not sure why you are irritated. The brushes are part of sculpt mode which is the way many of us do our morphs in Blender, ZBrush, Modo and other programs. Depending on what kind of morphs you are doing, you might work at vertex level with editing. With sculpting you are also working on the vertices, but with a falloff to allows you to work on a group of vertices which often results in smoother looking transitions for morphs. The equivalent of working with something similar in edit mode is proportional falloff editing (which will work with X Mirror and Topological Mirror).